Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

1262728293032»

Comments

• I just bought 2011 S I test drove it on friday and I felt pulling to right then left I thought it was a windy day. I went back saturday december 3 to buy the car My husband drove the car saturday home and said this car has a steering problem. I have 50 miles on my car. I am looking up what is wrong with the steering and find out they had this problem since 2009. I am scared to drive my new 2011 car I am going to dealer Monday december 5 2011
  • The dealer will tell you there's nothing wrong with your car. That you have to get used to it. BS. I'm still have problems with my 2009. And tercel will tell you the same thing that there is nothing wrong with the EPS.
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    edited December 2011
    The TSB link I posted above covers the 09 and 10 models. I don't know what toyota is doing for the '11's.

here's the link again-
    http://www.toyotapart.com/Steering_Off_Center_Feel_TSB014010.pdf

But, you may want to review the TSB. It contains a checklist of what the dealer is supposed to do to correct the problem.

If you have an '11 model then I'd report it to the NHTSA so they can at least keep track of it. Remember - they did not find a safety issue for the '09 and '10's so a recall isn't going to happen. However, toyota did re-tune the EPS module and is replacing the EPS under the above TSB for those that are having issues.

I had to take it from one dealer that didn't think it was an issue to another dealer that said no problem we will take the warranty/TSB work and did it without having to hassle with it. So, if one dealer is giving you a headache take it to another one IMO. They did take my car for a few days to go over it and then called and said - yes, it is doing it (after going thru the TSB checklist) and we will order the module for you. They are not going to have it in stock. Had my car back in 3 days and made a world of difference IMO.

I have seen nothing that says toyota used a 'new' EPS for the '11. I believe it is the same as the '09 and '10. In fact, when I called the NHTSA and talked to an engineer about it he said (at the time and this was months ago) that toyota would be using the same EPS module in the '11 models so.......

If you go onto the NHTSA safecar.gov site you can search for the documents and see the back and forth between the NHTSA and toyota. It is all public record. From there you can find names and numbers of the NHTSA people. It's not hard just gotta know where to look. Hope it helps.
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    Did you apply for the TSB fix on your '09 and was it done? are you still having problems after the fix?
  • I just wanted everyone who has had this problem that the tsb fix does work. I bought a used 2010 Corolla S for my daughter and it was so dangerous to drive that I contemplated getting rid of it after having it only a few weeks. I called the Toyota Dealer in Traverse City Michigan and they put in the new computer module without any hassles. The service manager had never heard of this problem but inspite of that he looked up the TSB and completed it without any complaints. It now drives normally. I can drive down the road with one hand without constantly swerving right and left even at 70mph.
    So if you are wondering if the TSB works. Yes it does. Just take it to a good dealer. :)
  • I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla and find the steering difficult to keep on center. The car seems to drift all over the place, especially with wind. IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE DRIVING ON A BOWLING BALL.

A couple of weeks ago I got the lead tech at Toyota, who adjusted the alignment to have a little more toe (within tolerances). The car was set at ABSOLUTE ALIGNMENT??? This adjustment made driving the vehicle much more bearable, but NOT PERFECT. He also made my complaint known to Toyota to see if any adjustment were available.

I hope this information can help people feel a somewhat safer while driving
  • dman777dman777 Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    I just bought a 2013 Toyota Corolla S 3 days ago. I went on a 2 hour road trip and found out what power assisted steering is when going 80 miles per an hour. At 60-80 miles per an hour, I do not like how the steering becomes firm and hard to make minor degree changes. It's like not having power steering with further resistance.

Is there anything I can do to not have the power steering firm and resistant at high speeds? Is there an adjustment that can be made? Would I of had this issue if I bought a 2012 Camry? It creates great fatigue when driving on the highway.
  • Took delivery of a new 2013 Corolla S.
    I can barely keep the car centered in a lane at highway speeds.
    Tires at specified 32F/32R
    Will contact Toyota regarding TSB 014010
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Check tire pressure
  • The original post stated he has tires set at 32/32, as directed.