Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback - Part IV

mznmzn Posts: 727
edited March 14 in Ford
This is the place to talk about the hottest
hatchback of the moment, the Ford Focus ZX3. To
read past posts, just click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• drebe73drebe73 Posts: 243
    Ok let's make the Focus ZX3 the most talked about topic in Edmunds history. Can it be done?
    We need to make a chat room out of this Forum.
    Maybe some day we'll have Edmunds ZX3 Forum national conventions, heck International conventions. It's gunna be HUGE, MAN, HUGE !!!!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Alf3 suggested a ZX3 Homecoming, a la the Saturn gig held at the Spring Hill factory. Roadtrip to Mexico, anyone? Maybe we can raid the factory and bring back some spare parts for all the folks stuck with damaged hatchbacks :-) I'm sure Ford's PR department would love to take this on...
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Posts: 516
    Crazy idea, but Mexico is out. They might not let some of us back in US. Just kidding. But really, how about Dearfield Village, the Ford Museum, in Michigan. I think the ZX3 in in the class of the Model T and Model A as far as Ford Products go. The Best Ford ever built!!!
    Pat
  • zx3brizx3bri Posts: 11
    I have lost track of this forum so many times - these two responses are going to seem totally outdated, so please forgive me. Yes, I too, pine for a Contour SVT and the income to afford one before Ford kills it. And Pat, I think you said you bought a ZX3 at Wiscasset Ford. I bought mine from Portsmouth Ford, in NH, so we essentially bought from the same dealer. I was really satisfied that the discount was listed on the sticker, and that I bought for $45 over invoice. Of course now, they're under invoice. I have 3,020 miles on my Autumn Orange ZX3, and I love every second of driving it!
  • thats GREENfield village isnt it? not dearfield?
  • tjts2tjts2 Posts: 18
    Judging from this forum, it appears to me that there is far more interest in the ZX3 than there is in all the other Focus models. But I recall reading somewhere that the sedan was supposed to make up 70% of production while the hatch would only be 15% (wagons make up the difference). What happened? Did Ford misjudge the market that bad?
    Hopefully this will convince Ford that we are worthy of the 4 door hatch. I would call it ZX5. Just a thought.
  • xquxqu Posts: 55
    It was a 2 lane highway (55MPH limit) and I was stopped at a redlight, there was a van on the right lane and this early 90's Accord followed me. When the light turns green, I took off pretty fast and passed the van in a second, the Accord suddenly changed to right lane and speed up hard trying to pass me. I decided to play with him so I speed up too. I didn't redline every gear and when I hit 65, the Accord already behind me 6-7 car length. Cuz I don't want to go any faster so I shift to 5th gear and keep my speed then after couple of seconds, the Accord kept up with me and passed me with at least 75!!! I know those Accord ain't fast but just let them know don't even try it with our Focii next time :o) maybe the V6 model has a chance.
  • Bro...the reason there is no armrest is because you dont need it when you have a manual trans. thats the point in not having an armrest you should have a manual trans....do you?
    It would be nice if there is a aftermarket armrest cause I don't have to shift on long distance highway driving. Sure I don't need it when I drive in city, but the extra storage place is useful. Any suggestion?
  • monikaannmonikaann Posts: 16
    They have the tilt/telescopic steering wheel, cruise control, power windows; why not an ARMREST!
    If you don't want to use the armrest, raise it up!
    It sure would be nice on long trips. I'm pretty sure that the consoles are one piece and it either has the armrest or doesn't. It isn't one console with a bolt on armrest.
    hey man , dont hide your repeat response, scribble it.
    Thanks, I got it.
    But it didn't work yesterday so I hid it.
    no prob man, just wanted to help. :)
  • bootedbooted Posts: 1
    tjts,

I don't think that those numbers are really that far off. I think the people in here are just a vocal minority. People seem to like the hatchback, but I've seen a LOT more sedans on the road. North Americans generally aren't as fond of the hatchbacks.
  • jpthreejpthree Posts: 16
    Hey, anyone know where I can get door sill protectors aside from the carbon fiber ones from KKM? Has anyone fitted the Euro ones to their car yet? Also, where can I get the Euro accessories catalog?

Thanks!

Joe
  • cefurodcefurod Posts: 72
    I test drove a manual sedan before i bought the zx3 because the dealer i went to didn't have a manual zx3. It had an armrest and it just got in the way of shifting. I would also like an armrest for long distance and for storage but i hope they'll make one that doesn't get in the way of shifting.
    Okay Focusfanatic, Your right, it's Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.

About the ARM REST. Thought that somebody posted that the sedan arm rest would fit ZX3. Would have to go back and search it out to know for sure.

DOOR SILL protectors. Thought I saw them on one of the Auto Part Store sites while I was looking for a Focus Bug Deflector. Anybody find a Focus Bug Deflector.

ZX3BRI: No, I got mine in Olean, New York. (No where near NYC, that place is about 7 hours away at 65+mph.) You must have been thinking of somebody else, or there's another Pat which is possible.

Pat

(Okay carlady (mzn), I used the spell check.)
  • danny1234danny1234 Posts: 21
    Hi folks, I'm beginning to see a lot more zx3 foci in the detroit area.. I have not yet seen the green, or malibu blue ones yet, but have seen one in almost all the other colors. But the
    sedan to the hatchback ratio is like 20:1, so it seems like ford's estimates are on target. However, this group is the most vocal judging by the number of postings.

I'm beginning to wish that the car had slightly stiffer springs - It bounces too much over road undulations. Also feel like the speakers could sound better - they are not very clear at very low or very high volume levels.

Another wish is to reduce interior sound - my commute has become an hour long lately, and it would help if the drone was more muted. Has anyone here tried to use Dynamat? Any comments about it?
    Danny1234, for Dynamat to work properly, you'd have to strip out your entire interior and apply it to the metal panels of the car. Dynamat works by damping the drumming and noise amplification properties inherent in steel metal. Just throwing it under the carpet won't make much difference. For a lot of $$ and effort, I don't think you'll notice that much difference. I just helped a friend install new carpet in his older car, and he splurged for Dynamat -- we couldn't tell the car was any quieter. My idea - lose the Goodyear tires. Most of the noise you hear in a ZX3 is tire related, and I've found Goodyears to be pretty noisy tires. Spring for something like Pirelli P6000's or Yokohama AVS Intermediates. You'll get better handling, braking, and lower noise too.
  • chrbetrchrbetr Posts: 1
    Ooops, I scribbled my question by mistake.

Armrest:
    I was asking for an aftermarket armrest for a ZX3.
    Mine is automatic.
    By the way, the armrest is an option in the wagon but not in the hatchback.

5 door:
    I just came back from a trip to Germany where I saw quite a lot of 5 door hatchback Focus. European like hatchback, American don't.
    I also notice that all Focus had headrests on the back seats. US-made Focus don't. They must have saved a little money there.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Posts: 249
    The DIstrict Manager of Ford called me today and apologized for the delay. She claims the production line will stop or has been stopped in order for key components to be sent to dealers. (I can't say I believe this scenerio).

I also spoke to the parts manager at the ford dealership and he was extremely apologitic.

Most important, the district manager offered me free extended warranty on my car so that it now has 5 year, 70,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. They will also pay any additional rental car charges beginning on Monday. This peace offering was nice, but I remind all, that I would have rather have had my car back 2-3 weeks ago.

The moral of this story is to be vocal about your opinions. I always remained calm (as best as I could) and was not shy in telling Ford what I thought Lexus (or Saturn) would do under the same circumstances. I said Ford should try their hardest to keep me as their customer because I fit the demographic that any automaker would kill to get!

So drive your zx-3s carefully. I hope no one has to be annoyed and disappointed these last few weeks with Ford as I have been.

NorwayDoug
  • silyboysilyboy Posts: 90
    when i went to the milwaukee auto show this weekend and spoke to a Roush rep. he said Roush will have a focus for the 20001 model year. He mentioned they have had the car for a year, and are mostly working on wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, and a few interior/exterior upgrades. However, this vehicle will be based on the se sedan he said... but beggars can not be choosers i guess!!
  • silyboysilyboy Posts: 90
    ok the year for the roush focus is 2001, not 200001. my bad. keep the chat alive everyone!

norwaydoug- sorry to hear about the parts problem. but at least u now have another 2 yr. of warranty without having to pay for it!
  • zxthreezxthree Posts: 6
    I'm glad you finally got some measure of satisfaction, or assistance, from Ford, and I commend them for their action. I wonder, however, if you would have heard anything had you not been a regular contributor to this public discussion. Your point - the wheel that sqeaks gets oiled - is well taken. In the future I hope Ford will work hard to satisfy all Focus customers, and to ensure that their products are well-supported at every level. Good luck to you. I hope your travails are just about over!
    NorwayDoug,
    An just real happy to hear that they contacted you and made peace offerings. At least they are listening and maybe learning. Hoping you get back on the road with your Focus real soon. It pays to be patient and calm in these situations.

Arm Rest: If you go back thru postings in forum I believe you will find a post that says you can order the arm rest thru Ford and that it will fit the ZX3. Haven't seen a after market non-Ford arm rest anywhere yet. I've been thinking about ordering one also, but first thing is a good coat of quality polish to make my Malibu Blue ZX3 paint job look really deep. The snow, salt and sand is not making me a happy camper, but it will go away soon enough.

Pat
  • tickbittytickbitty Posts: 250
    hmmm, looks like a compotable colsole box! I guess that manufacturer don't speak the english!!
    Love that ad - I bet it is a real quality piece of equipment :-) Let the buyer beware...
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Posts: 249
    Yes...that looks like a fabulous piece, however, I am going to wait for the subsequent model equipped with a cooling compressor so I can store my drinks at the temperature at which they were meant to be enjoyed.

BTW: I am happy I do not have an armrest. I thought the one in the ZTS Sedan looked flimsy and definitely gets in the way of shifting gears.

Our zetec ZX-3s are all about simplicity. I'll wait and get a 'loaded' model when the high performance version comes out in 2001.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I have said all I can regarding the slow repair of my Focus. I'll let everyone know when my car comes back and my review of their repair. (Better be good!).

Have a good week end. That console really made me laugh.

norwaydoug
This discussion has been closed.