Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback - Part IV

Comments

• xquxqu Posts: 55
    skater4, just give them a call and tell them your VIN number, they will run the computer and make a appointment for you. Just make sure to ask them if they have the parts in stock so you don't have to go there twice like I did.
  • jlimajlima Posts: 1
    Hey guys you've all got to check out the the WRC Rally wing for our zx3 and guess who's got it, Kurtz CustomZ check out the picture at http://www.kustomz.com/focus.html
    it goes for $289 and it looks nice... Later
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Posts: 127
    My dealer just called me at work and told me my car arrived at the dealership yesterday! (I wasn't expecting the car for another 2 wks. as the last update on my car listed a build date of Mar. 20th.) I'm going to pick it up after work. (sorry drebe73. I'd wish for a speedy recovery if it would help, but I think it's gone past that.)

About the recall(s), I took the VIN the dealer gave me and registered on the Ford Owner Connection site. I looked under recalls, this is what it told me:

-"Vehicles Not Affected
    -The vehicle(s) listed below are either
    -not affected by or have already been repaired
    -for the currently posted recalls."

Sounds like they already took care of my car then....at least for now.

later,
    Gabe
  • drebe73drebe73 Posts: 243
    be sure your car is listed under that section
    here is a copy from the site , my car is affected.

>This web site feature is provided as a reference tool for our customers to inquire if their vehicle is involved in a specific safety or emissions recall. If you have received a first class notification letter or a postcard from Ford Motor Company about a recall, or if your vehicle is shown here as affected by recall, we encourage you to contact the service department of your Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer. Your dealership will be able to determine if the necessary parts are available. If the dealer has the parts in stock, or if the dealership is able to order the parts for immediate delivery, we suggest that you schedule an appointment to have the recall work performed.

Affected Vehicles
    One or more of your OwnerConnection registered vehicles has been identified as unrepaired in a posted safety or emission recall.* If you own other Ford Motor Company vehicles that are not registered with OwnerConnection and would like to check whether they may be affected, please register them here.

Affected Vehicle VIN Action
    2000 Ford Focus (my vin number is listed here)see details (my car is affected)

Vehicles Not Affected
    The vehicle(s) listed below are either not affected by or have already been repaired for the currently posted recalls.*

Vehicles Not Affected VIN
    (if no vehiical is listed here than there is no car effected.)
  • rpernarperna Posts: 2
    I test drove a Focus recently, and was pretty impressed - the dash layout is very, very similar to the VW dash (functional, no-nonsense, aesthetically pleasing). I drove a '96 Jetta for 4 years, and the controls were all in the same places.

While I was impressed by the ZX3, I wouldn't really call the Jetta "inferior" to it, especially the newer ones. They're just not the same league of car, but I don't mean to detract from your Focus at all. A VW is a poor man's Audi, while a Focus is a poor man's VW.

In fact, a friend of mine is looking for a new car, and I'm trying to steer her toward the ZX3. It is an amazing ride for the money.

For the record, I leased a 2000 Alero V6 coupe. I wanted to try a V6, and Volkswagen V6s have gotten horrifically expensive since 1996.
  • silverzesilverze Posts: 5
    Saying the Jetta is "inferior" to the Focus may be a bit too strong but I don't see it as a "poor man's" VW! The ZX3 really should be compared to the Golf anyway I suppose, but in either case the ZX3 has superior handling, a larger standard engine, outstanding crash test results, comparable interior dimensions and standard CD player. I've ordered a loaded ZX3 with power all around and ABS and side air bags and still priced out at $2000 below the base model cost of the Jetta. A comparably equipped VW would easily be $4000 more.

After comparing the two I felt both cars had great designs and would be fun to drive. I did have some concerns about VW reliability after reading some internet posts but can't say if that's accurate. While the new Jetta/Golf is clearly a significant engineering improvement over the older design and is great looking I didn't see it winning European Car of the Year. I chose the Focus not because it was cheaper but because I felt I was getting more overall and -bonus- it cost less. Besides, a German was a lead engineer on the Focus so they're brothers under the skin anyway :)
  • drebe73drebe73 Posts: 243
    I whole heartedly believe in an extended warrenty. Mods are great but when your car breaks down after the initial period (don't they always) the mods are going to be nothing but asthetics.
  • zx3guyzx3guy Posts: 9
    So, you say the Focus is a poor man's VW.... you're kidding, right?

I can afford to own either a fully-loaded Jetta or a fully-loaded Focus. I did not settle for the Focus because it was 'within my price range' or anything. I went with a Focus because, IMHO, it's dynamically a much better car. Period.

I can only see three types of drivers who would be interested in a Jetta, especially a loaded one:

1) Drivers who are impressed with the styling.

2) Drivers who are devoted VW fans.

3) Drivers who need a car that says "Hey world! Look at me! I make enough money to be driving one of *these*!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is this... Just because it's the least expensive choice, it doesn't mean it's the poor-man's choice. In this case, I believe the least expensive car just so happens to be the best choice.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Posts: 249
    Dear Focus zx-3 Owners,

A few years ago...I was very intent on buying a 318TI because it was a cool size, had a hatchback and was almost reasonably priced for a BMW (base model). And hey some cache for a BMW is pretty cool too. I was disappointed that BMW North America dropped the 318TI.

Now, as a proud owner of a zx-3 with no regrets...I was wondering if any zx-3 owners out there ever have a friend or was a former owner of a 318TI care to voice an opinion. Does anyone see any kinship or similarity between the 2?

Both have a 4 cylinder DOHC engine (BMW is 137 HP), hatchback, quite short in length. I think there are a lot of similarities (on paper).

I am raising this topic to return some sanity to this string of responses. (Mind you...comparing a Focus to a ZX-3 may be less than sane...I agree) because I have enjoyed the ZX-3 topic and I would like it to remain fun and enjoyable to read people's excitement (and sometimes disappointment too). We all are sympathetic towards drebe17 and like tickbitty's enthusiasm and most excellent plans.

Anybody get a watch lately and what color. I don't mind those topics at all! Enjoy driving and spread the word that the ZX-3 is fun and affordable and surprisingly 'just right.!'

NorwayDoug
    In my last note... I wrote...

Mind you...comparing a
    Focus to a ZX-3 may be less than sane...I agree

I wanted to say...

Comparing a 318TI to a ZX-3 may not be that sane

sorry about that.

ND
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    NorwayDoug, a very interesting comparison, but the rear drive and vastly different design philosophies makes this another "apples to bananas" comparison. I think they are too different to make a call. I've owned two different 3-series BMWs (but no ti), and they were fun cars, but for what they cost new they should be. I still think our ZX3s are astonishingly good cars for the price, and very nice cars by any measure.
  • jimr1818jimr1818 Posts: 7
    "Strong Points: Ride/handling; Driveability: Interior room."
    "Weak Points: Acceleration; Rear leg room."
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Posts: 92
    Thanks for your posts about the color. I am very excited to see the car, and I think it will be a nice surprise. All my friends dont like the car but I think they wish they had one. I will be the only kid at my school with one!
    I went to the dealer today to sit in it and boy I cant wait! How long do you think it will take to break in??
    Does the 5-speed tranny have a short throw?? Is it fast in that car?
    I cant wait another 4 weeks!
    Silver Bullet,

Yes the rwd of the ti makes it very much different from the focus. Yes....that just sort of blows my comparison topic away doesn't it?

Thanks for the intelligent response. It is refreshing as of late.

NorwayDoug
  • snakrichsnakrich Posts: 10
    Is there any way this trouble-making individual can be blocked? I'd sure appreciate it, and no doubt every other sane person on this forum would, too.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Posts: 256
    you really need to become more assertive. i would call fords regional office if i were you. if you don't get results call the corporate. if that doesnt work call the local news media. i know around here we have consumer issues all the time on our news broadcasts. i damn near did it myself and would have except they got it done right before i would've snapped. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I know its difficult for a young person but its time you stepped up to the plate young man. your zx3 friend, mark
  • spdplayspdplay Posts: 12
    looking for "in- states" Richbrook Product dealers. got some quotes from Angleland but trying to save on the shipping ( and the exchange rate). if anyone knows let me know!
  • calico1calico1 Posts: 52
    Just a quick update -- and thanks to those of you who responded about the sunroof. I didn't get a call to pick my hatchling up today after "surgery", so I assume she'll be ready to go tomorrow. My greatest fear is that it will interfere with the beautiful roof lines on the ZX3, but I guess that remains to be seen tomorrow.

About the Focus being a "poor man's" VW or anything else for that matter, I certainly could have gotten a much more expensive vehicle, but I waited until something came out that really, really impressed me. The ZX3 did it! Can't wait to have her back!

--Calico1
  • fgaydosfgaydos Posts: 319
    What are the advantages of having a sun/moon roof?
    What is the difference between a sun and moon roof?
    Does one have power and open all the way?(Sun)?
    The other just pop open? (Moon)?
  • hey guys, i dont know if this was already posted but the tire rack has a great new set of Borbets in 17'' format. They look wonderful! I would post this on the focus aftermarket forum but it doesnt seem to be active anymore. Has anyone gotten new tires yet? Any auto-x's out there? whats your equipment? anybody have the eibach springs?
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Posts: 127
    Went and picked up my ZX3 last night! (Note: The build date the dealer gave me had to have been wrong) He said Mar. 20th and the car was delivered on the 21st. Here's my car:

ZX3
    -CD silver
    -4-spd. Auto
    -Tilting/telescoping steering wheel
    -Power windows (even has drivers side one-touch down)
    -Power mirrors
    -map lights
    -ABS brakes
    -engine block heater
    -power locks w/ remote entry

later,
    Gabe
  • mich9139mich9139 Posts: 24
    does or does not the focus zts have fog lights? i've seen pics both ways. also, the focus zts on edmunds has a silver strip highlighting the front that looks awesome. this didn't make it to production, did it? check it out:
    http://edmunds.com/newcars/2000/ford/focus/ztssedan.html
    see what i mean? it looks great, doesn't it?
  • dragwaydragway Posts: 34
    The only sedan that I have seen with fog lights is the SE with the sport package, not the ZTS. I haven't seen the chrome strip on the front of a production ZTS. The catalog if full of mistakes. Colours don't match the swatch in the back of the book and it shows the ZX3 with power mirrors and pwr windows before they were available as options to the public (they are now)
    Dear mich9139,

That photo appears to be an early press photo of a factory prototype ZTS. The chrome strip on the front bumper is found on the European sourced Focus Ghia, but did not make it to North America.

Foglights can only be installed as a dealer added option on the Focus ZTS. You can buy a Focus sedan SE with as a factory installed option. The ZX-3 is equipped with the foglights as standard equipment.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Mich9139, I think you are seeing a light reflection in that photo of the ZTS. The cars I've seen at the dealership have the same front end as our ZX3s - except for the foglamps, which Ford lists as being part of the SE Sport Group on the sedans. Keep in mind that manufacturers change their specs all the time. It isn't too unusual for a feature to appear or disappear from a particular model (ex: I've never seen a US spec Focus with folding outside mirrors, even though Edmunds lists this as a standard item).
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, thank you for your assistance in the "robsail" matter. As you can see the posts are gone and we have taken action to ensure he does not return. Posts such as his are usually done to gain attention.

So far, the best way we have found to handle this kind of problem is to ask you to email your host (in this case, me) and to post a note in the Talk to The Hosts topic. Continuing to talk about users like this, even in a negative way, tends to encourage them to do more of the same.

Thank you for everything you are doing to help us keep the Town Hall as the best place on the net to talk cars!

carlady/host
  • rpernarperna Posts: 2
    You're correct about the arrogance of some VW drivers. The styling on the newer VWs are ok, nothing to write home about. And I'm definately not devoted, I bought my Jetta because the thing was quick, and handled like it was on rails.

I'll admit calling Foci "poor-man's VWs" was sort of a back-handed compliment. By this, I meant that while the Focus 'feels' sort of like a VW, the mechanicals just aren't up to par. Which, of course, is expected given the price differences of the two cars.

The main differences I noticed with VW Golf/Jettas and the ZX3 I test drove:

1. The suspension seemed firmer, yet more supple on VWs, resulting in easier cornering and more comfort/less road noise. I was still shocked by the quality of the ZX3's ride, though, it definately had that distinctive "German" feel to it.

2. The newer VW's interiors are nicer, but again this is to be expected given the price. I was still deeply impressed by the ZX3's roominess, interior finish, and sheer amount of room and functionality.

3. One of the larger problems I had with my ZX3 tester was possibly suspension-related. It seemed a bit "tail-heavy", like it was dragging it's rear around while cornering and doing slalom-like maneuvers.

That said, I do believe that the Focus is a MUCH, MUCH better deal that any VW. I think VW's market changed (sometime slightly prior to the New Beetle's introduction), and not for the better. Quick anecdote, I went back to my VW dealer to settle up with the lease (this is a pretty big dealer), and was shocked at the amount of yuppie kids I saw running around the place. In 1996, most fellow VW owners I ran into were 20/30 somethings, real driving enthusiasts. Now, it's become a car that yuppies buy for their kids, sort of a "Mercedes with training wheels".

It's quite sickening, and is something that used to disgust me with certain Japanese makes. It's also why I went back to an American car(an Oldsmobile, no less, a car most certainly not marketed for yuppie 'rats).

Sorry, I kind of got OT there for awhile. Carry on. :-)

Rich
    This is the hatchback conference and I do not want to go on and on about the sedan, but the European Focus sedan(Focus Ghia) has a chrome strip along the edge of the grill and the bumper. This chrome strip is definitely seen in the Edmunds photo of the sedan as was previously mentioned. It is not sunglare. The curious part of this picture is that it does have a NA bumper and turning signal light lamp set-up which leads me to conclude that the photo was an early pre-production prototype focus model.

Again all this confusion is due to the lousy Ford Focus pamphlets that were made. They provide zero information.

The main differences I have seen between the euro focus and the NA focus are the bumpers (rear bumper has a fog light incorporated into it), side marker lights, interior fabric (more sporty and nicer than the NA Focus---particularly the 'Trend' model line) and the amber rear light fixture for turn signals.

The Euro foci also have heated seats & stability control! Not to mentioned the 5 door hatchback.

NorwayDoug
  • tickbittytickbitty Posts: 250
    also costs considerably more for all the special stuff on it. Less power, too (but better fuel efficiency, the trade-off) I like the euro ones, but wouldn't be able to afford one, if I lived there.
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    Personally I'd rather have the young yuppie image of a VW than the old stodgy image of an Oldsmobile
This discussion has been closed.