Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback - Part IV

191011121315»

Comments

• norwaydougnorwaydoug Posts: 249
    Tickbitty is right! Euro foci can cost 1.5 to 2.5 times more than our USA version. Ford did a great job making the car affordable. I am pleased with the interior of my zx-3. The seats are great. I think the zx-3 seats are nicer than the sedans. The texture of the seats in the hatchback is very attractive.

The Euro foci can have more engine options:

1.6L, 1.8 L and 2.0 L

The 2.0L is the ztec engine that we have in our Foci.

Any news Tickbitty when your Focus is coming?
    ND
  • cefurodcefurod Posts: 72
    I'm glad NA offers the stripped down version of the focus instead of the one they have in Europe. Over there, hatchbacks are very popular so they could add all kinds of accessories. But in the US, the demand is much lower so Ford kept cost down this way.
    One of the main reasons I bought the Focus is because of the bang for the buck. I needed a cheap commute vehicle to work (1 hr one way) without all the luxury items. If I had wanted a more luxurious hatchback, i would have bought a Golf 1.8T. If I had wanted a more luxurious car in general, i would have chosen an Audi A4 or Acura TL. Don't get me wrong, luxury aside, the Focus is awesome to drive and just a great car period!
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Posts: 516
    Jedimaster1,

The Ford Owner Connection is:
    "www.ownerconnection.com"

Just follow the instructions and register your vehicle.

Pat
  • I test drove both a focus (all the styles) and a few from the golf line. I think that many people mistake the prodigous weight of the vw for a "quality feel". This almost tricked me, but then i tried acclerating. The weight was obvious. But it is true, the mass feels alot more solid. The only Golf I would consider would be the GTI VR6, but having read Car&Drivers comparison test including it, I ruled it out. It depends upon what you want. I would much rather have a sharp-handling, (relatively) quick car, than a somewhat luxurious "boat". This is not meant to offend VW owners, but i think most will agree that, for the money, the focus annihilates its competition.
  • also, the golf uses an old american trick to make cars feel quicker. They shorten the throttle response so that just a light touch of the pedal gives you more throttle. So people like it, but I prefer more control for safely manuevering parking lots.
  • calico1calico1 Posts: 52
    Gabe--you seem to have received the ZX3 I originally ordered (in early March) and was told was an impossibility! CD Silver with power everything and a tilt steering column. My dealer checked with Ford Motor Co. -- I was there when they did it -- and they were told that they were not yet installing power windows, although the target date for them had been publicized as February 2000, and that they had no idea when and if that would even be an option on the ZX3 at that point. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, I really, really do, but it seems like we are getting very different messsages in different parts of the country about our ZX3s. My dealer (like I said before, good people, not the stereotype at all) still has no info. on the recall.

Fgaydos, thanks for making me feel better. I, too, question the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof. Around here the terms seem to be used interchangably, and I can't imagine that that's accurate. Can't wait to hear the answer to your question. Will try to find out myself.

Because of a glitch in installing my cruise control (necessary to maintain reasonably low speeds with me behind the wheel and my foot on the gas), my sun/moon roof is still being installed as we speak. Now I'm scheduled to get it tomorrow. I miss my car!!!!
    --Calico1
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Looking for the ZX3 crowd? Join the conversation in Ford Focus Hatchback - ZX3 - Part V. See you there!

carlady/host
  • fgaydosfgaydos Posts: 319
    Tickbitty,
    I was at a new owners meeting and they stressed that 5000 is fine for the newer cars oil change.
    Also, the manual states you should try to avoid real hard emergency type braking till it gets broken in. 1000 miles?
    If you blow all the engines sounds like you are driving it too hard. Racing??
  • Welcome back, norwaydoug. FYI: after my Capri (I know, again with the mystical Capri) was hit in '86, it made a humming noise for the rest of its life and no certified mechanic could find the source. I swore it was the rear passenger wheel. It had no real effect on performance, though. (and I drove like I imagine Tickbitty drives! ahem.)

Hey, silver_bullet, thanks for the advice, but I DID read the manual. It was wrong. To set the clock, hit clock and then hit the volume control button, NOT the seek/scan button as the manual advises!

Two days until moonroof installation. I wasn't about to wait four months to get a factory option that may never come to pass. (At least that's the word from Ford right now--as far as I know there are no plans to build Foci ZX3s with factory installed sunroofs) My dealer is installing it for me. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

As for "break-in" speeds: is this a discussion for manual or automatic? My automatic is performing just fine at speeds in the 70s and 80s and I've only got about 180 miles on her. In my experience, it's mustangs that need the break in!

Could someone remind me...is there or is there not a chrome attachment for the tailpipe that would fit the ZX3?

I LOVE THIS CAR!!! --calico1
This discussion has been closed.