Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Caught Fire

My 2009 Nissan Altima caught fire while I was driving it. Luckily everyone got out safely. I do not have gap insurance either. Nissan is reviewing our case. I am having a hard time as to why a brand new car would catch fire while driving. I know there were recalls on 2007/2008 but I thought the problem would have been fixed. Anyone know of this happening to any other 2009's?

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    this is the first I've heard of it. heck, even the 2007 didn't really have an issue with fires. only one or two had actullay caught fire, and it was because of the air filter getting ignited by something hot (cig butt or something similar) that got sucked in.
  • Yeah, we have been searching for issues and cant find any either. They also said there have been no recalls on 2009's for this issue. Any advice what we do? Who should cover this? Oh and we did not have GAP insurance.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Unless the reason can be proven, it will probably be an insurance issue. Unless it can be proven that a part failed and caused the fire, they arn't going to assume fault. There's just so many things that could do it.

But rest assured, your insurance company will do a very thourgh investigation before they cough up nearly 20 grand for the car. If there was a defect that caused it, they'll find it.

as far as what to do about a new car, I'd suggest going back to the dealership you bought it from. Explain to them what happened. I'm sure they'll give you a tremendous deal on another one, considering how you will have bought 2 from them in a matter of months/weeks.
  • don1958don1958 Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I was driving my 2007 Nissan Altima and it catches fire in the engine compartment and burns up. The car was running perfect at 60mph when the engine sputtered, smoke started filling up the inside of the car, and 15 seconds after I coast to a stop the fire roars out of the engine compartment and engulfs the car. What could have happened? The recall for hot embers getting lodged in the air filter and causing a fire comes up as a possiblity. Allstate Insurance claim adjuster told me that this is her 3rd claim for 2007 Nissan Altima fires in the last 3 weeks.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    Allstate Insurance claim adjuster told me that this is her 3rd claim for 2007 Nissan Altima fires in the last 3 weeks.

That's BS. 3 claims in 3 weeks w/ one adjuster = 365 Altimas in a year. The number should be even a lot higher b/c there're many claim adjusters w/ Allstate.

365 x top 10 insurance companies = 3650 Altimas per year.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Ya right.. I have a bicycle. I was riding it- it became a Ford Explorer and at 60mph rolled over and then became the Camry which had SUA and fell into the lake after which it became a boat etc etc ............ :shades: :P
  • Just an update to my 2009 Nissan Catching Fire. We refused to go through insurance. Nissan ended up settling with us for what we put into the car and that was it. Nissan at first tried to put us back in the same car but we refused. We did contact a lawyer but said the process could take years so we just settled. At least we did not take a loss going through insurance. Nissan still to this date would never give us a reason as to why this happened! Buyer Beware!
  • england36england36 Posts: 1
    This is interesting. I had a 2008 Nissan Altima and on July 8th 2010 the car caught fire and blew when it hit my full tank of car blowing out the window in the van parked next to me. It was parked in my driveway. The fire department have determined it was an electrical problem behind the dash. I am going through my insurance as I had a lease plus I have also gone to Nissan Consumer Affairs. I would definitely not be interested in getting into another Nissan Altima. I hope Nissan will do the right thing because I still owe on the lease.
  • bkmobkmo Posts: 1
    Our son was driving a 2006 Nissan Frontier on the freeway at normal speed when it also burst into flames. He did not survive. I would like to know if anyone found out the reason why their vehicles burst into flames.
  • This is apparently an ongoing issue with many models. My 2000 Altima caught fire with no warning while I was driving it last week. I started researching to see if there had been similar issues with that model or others and found news stories about the recall of the 2007 models. There were also issues that could lead to car fires with the '06 models. Now I see it happened with an '09.

We called Nissan to complain. They wasted a good deal of our time acting as if they might do something. They asked us for some paperwork yesterday, then without waiting for it, called today to say they are going to do nothing for us. The woman was dismissive and a little rude, showing very little concern for customer service.

We knew it was a long shot, but the way they handled the issue and the ongoing issues with fires in these cars make us think it is time to wash our hands of Nissan forever.

I'll have see if I can post a picture so y'all can see the third and final Altima my family will ever own. ">
  • I see that this is a real issue with Nissan Altimas. My car has 43,000. I was driving down 95 with my family and without any warning, my car started to stall and the check engine light came on. After being towed to a mechanic, I was told that it was the electronic throttle and that my airbox and filter caught on fire. I then got the car towed to a Nissan dealer. I was told that Nissan would not cover this and they charges me ove 1900 to fix the car. My insurance covered the expenses but I think that Nissan should cover my expenses. I am looking into taking this further.
  • Hey,please let me know how it goes..I had the same problem with my 2008 altima,and I was not able to get a refund or anything..
  • im new to this edmunds site and i need to sell my cars. where is the link to go to. :cry: :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Our site doesn't have an area to list vehicles for sale. We're here for information only. If you go to the main Edmunds.com page, you'll see a link on there to autotrader. You can list your vehicle with them.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Nissan consumer affairs have already denied me, so now I am getting my lawyer to address them. Nissan needs to look into these issues. I will never buy another Nissan again and I will be spreading the word every chance I get to everyone that I know. A class action law suite needs to take place. When is Nissan going to take responsibility, when someone is killed or injured in one of their vechiles? This saddens me.
  • I have an 2009 nissan altima also. And on may 10th 2011 the car just caught on fire right as i parked in a parking spot. Its so random and its been a great car, no issues. I paid cash for the car but now that its totalled im left with no vehicle and i did have full coverage but my insurance company is screwing around and dont act like its a priority to them at the moment. I dont know if i should get an attorney and go forth with Nissan as Im seeing all these altimas that randomly catch on fire. I just dont have years to fight with them. Any advice on what to do or how to pursue this? :sick:
  • janette3janette3 Posts: 1
    I was driving a 2010 Nissan Altima rented from Hertz. It sounded as if a belt snapped under the hood as I was driving on the freeway. I pulled over to the shoulder to discover that their were no brakes. After costing to a stop and turning the ignition off, smoke came from the engine and then it caught fire and burned totally up. Nissan should come out of denial and Hertz should remove the car from it's fleet. After googling Altima fires, the question remains, "How much more denial will there be?" Nissan...YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!
  • ellisgellisg Posts: 4
    My 2008 Nissan Altima caught fire while driving down the Merritt Parkway in Conneticut on Friday night. The check engine light came on as the car was lossing power. I pulled over to the side of the road and smoke started coming out of the engine compartment. I shut off the engine, grabbed by bags and the car burst into flames. How many others have had this problem?
    As a follow up to my original reponse to Holliwhit, I contacted Nissan USA, and after getting a form letter reply without any regard to the severity of the issue, I emailed again and they said they would look into it. They got back to me and said it was my responsiblity and to call my insurance company. I can't understand why a car fire is not worth investigating. Lucky I got out before it burst into flames. What if I had kids and had to try and unbuckle car seats. The car was only 3 1/2 years old. The dealer offered me any car of my choice at dealer cost (not sure what that really means) and a years free maintenance. What really ticks me off is Nissan's customer service dismissing this so easily.
  • I 've had the same problem but with a 2008 Nissan..so what are u gonna do??
  • I see class action lawsuitin the air...
    Spoke to a lawyer and he said, we would have to hire an investigator to see what caused the fire. No guaranties. Complained a few times to Nissan but they said to go to my insurance company. Bought a Mazda instead.
  • Did the engine on your Altima ever shut down at highway speeds? Lauri Ontso
  • No. My engine never shut down while driving. The car lost speed but continued to move until I pulled off the road.
  • I am currently investigating a 2007 Altima fire where driver reportedly thought he ran over an object or may have simply heard a noise, ran a stop sign then came to rest in some brush. Insurance company denied the claim and said the car was intentionaly set (total BS, BTW. The ignition of the vegitation under the car was witnessed). As I read these boards, there appears to be a common thread with the Altima.

I have not reached any conclusions as to the cause
  • I am currently investigating a 2007 Altima fire where driver reportedly thought he ran over an object or may have simply heard a noise, ran a stop sign then came to rest in some brush. Insurance company denied the claim and said the car was intentionaly set (total BS, BTW. The ignition of the vegitation under the car was witnessed). As I read these boards, there appears to be a common thread with the Altima.
  • pvmompvmom Posts: 1
    My nephew recently died in a fire in his 2008 Nissan Altima after his car went into a ditch. Investigation is pending, but it seems as if others have had a similar problem with unexplained fires in the Altima. Any referrals to research, data, lawsuits, etc., would be appreciated.
  • techy10techy10 Posts: 1
    my 2010 nissan altima caught fire in my driveway last night. Fire investigator said it was an electrical short. anyone have any similar experiences/ advice. I saw in a post mention of a class action suit, any information will be appreciated.
  • My 2006 Altima caught fire driving down earlier today (8pm) in Victorville. I'm just now making it back home (2 am). All that was heard was a pop and an orange flash caused me to decelerate and pull over. A witness who was behind my car said it looked like a big fire underneath the car. Very freakish. I've yet to have a major problem with this car...until now. I will have alot of calls to make tomorrow. As I'm relating to the other Altima stories of catching fire, I'm curious as to what course of insightful action would you recommend based on your past experience.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I would suggest the first course of action to be determining exactly what caused the fire, along with what actually caught on fire.

Anything else is a version of "Ready.... Fire..... AIM!".