Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Caught Fire

2»

Comments

• I see class action lawsuitin the air...
  • ellisgellisg Posts: 4
    Spoke to a lawyer and he said, we would have to hire an investigator to see what caused the fire. No guaranties. Complained a few times to Nissan but they said to go to my insurance company. Bought a Mazda instead.
  • Did the engine on your Altima ever shut down at highway speeds? Lauri Ontso
  • No. My engine never shut down while driving. The car lost speed but continued to move until I pulled off the road.
  • I am currently investigating a 2007 Altima fire where driver reportedly thought he ran over an object or may have simply heard a noise, ran a stop sign then came to rest in some brush. Insurance company denied the claim and said the car was intentionaly set (total BS, BTW. The ignition of the vegitation under the car was witnessed). As I read these boards, there appears to be a common thread with the Altima.

I have not reached any conclusions as to the cause
  • I am currently investigating a 2007 Altima fire where driver reportedly thought he ran over an object or may have simply heard a noise, ran a stop sign then came to rest in some brush. Insurance company denied the claim and said the car was intentionaly set (total BS, BTW. The ignition of the vegitation under the car was witnessed). As I read these boards, there appears to be a common thread with the Altima.
  • pvmompvmom Posts: 1
    My nephew recently died in a fire in his 2008 Nissan Altima after his car went into a ditch. Investigation is pending, but it seems as if others have had a similar problem with unexplained fires in the Altima. Any referrals to research, data, lawsuits, etc., would be appreciated.
  • techy10techy10 Posts: 1
    my 2010 nissan altima caught fire in my driveway last night. Fire investigator said it was an electrical short. anyone have any similar experiences/ advice. I saw in a post mention of a class action suit, any information will be appreciated.
  • My 2006 Altima caught fire driving down earlier today (8pm) in Victorville. I'm just now making it back home (2 am). All that was heard was a pop and an orange flash caused me to decelerate and pull over. A witness who was behind my car said it looked like a big fire underneath the car. Very freakish. I've yet to have a major problem with this car...until now. I will have alot of calls to make tomorrow. As I'm relating to the other Altima stories of catching fire, I'm curious as to what course of insightful action would you recommend based on your past experience.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I would suggest the first course of action to be determining exactly what caused the fire, along with what actually caught on fire.

Anything else is a version of "Ready.... Fire..... AIM!".
  • Bought a 2011 Nissan Altima through Hertz rent to a buy program, exactly one week after I bought the car ,I was driving at 55 mph on a highway and I felt this huge drop in the transmission and the whole car shut off as I was still moving. I pulled to the side off the road and to my surprise the whole hood was melting and on fire. I couldn't get out of the car for about 45 seconds the door wouldn't open nor did the key work . I frantically kept trying the key while smoke was pouring into the car ,luckily the door opened and within two minutes the car was engulfed in flames. My insurance company and Nissan are investigating , any advice or similar experiences would be much appreciated.
    http://westhampton-hamptonbays.patch.com/articles/firefighters-battle-fully-engu- lfed-car-fire-on-sunrise-highway#photo-10798230
  • Earlier this week, I had the SAME exact experience. I rented a 2011 Nissan Altima from Hertz. The rental car, stalled and sputtered. I got out, hood melted, flamed up. Gratefully, I was able to get out no problem.
  • I m telling y'all..seems to be a trend with those altimas....if you have a picture of ur nissan after the accident,please send it to me...
  • my 2006 nissan altima caught on fire while I was driving on interstate 64 east the car jerked, then sputtered there was a loud boom and other vehicles flashed lights for me to pull over i then noticed heavy smoke from the hood barely made it out and the car was on fire and then explodedi could have lost my life this was a hazard to me which was a very dangerous situation how do you find out what caused the fire so i can file a lawsuit
  • jules824jules824 Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I was driving my 2011 Altima with 26,0000 miles on the interstate at about 65 miles per hour when it jerked 3 times and began to lose power. Every warning light in the car came on and then it died. Smoke began to come out from under the hood and in 1 minute flames were shooting out of the hood and I was dialing 911. The car was totally engulfed in flames in minutes. My son tagged Nissan Support in a twitter post and they contacted me, took a report and said they would turn it over to Consumer Affairs. Another Nissan rep called later in the day and said they were sending an inspector to view the car. I leased a 2008 Altima prior to this one and 2 weeks before my lease was up the entire electrical system on the car had failed and they wanted $1200 to fix it. Because I was already signing a lease on the 2011 they agreed to cover the repairs.
  • jules824jules824 Posts: 2
    I was just wondering what Nissan determined and what they did about it? This is almost identical to what happened to me last week. I'm waiting on the inspector from Nissan to look at the car.
  • bobby115bobby115 Posts: 1

My mother in law was involved in a Altima fire on the highway. She did not survive. Does anyone know who to contact about this? We cannot figure out why this is not a bigger issue than it is. No one seems to care.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. That's awful. If you haven't already, please make sure to report this incident to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov. They're the only agency authorized to conduct an investigation and recommend recall if warranted.

Since your situation is personal, you might get more immediate action by hiring an attorney, who can hire and investigator to help determine the cause of the fire.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

2»