Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• wallrwallr Posts: 4
    some more details: $7500 down payment and 0% APR for 36 months. The invoice price is 24100.
  • Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I want to thank all of you for writing your shopping experiences down and sharing your price quotes. This forum does a great service to consumers like you and me. Had I not found this forum, I am sure the dealers would have had their way with my money. I want to share the prices I was given 'out the door'.

I kept on getting prices at, or near $24,800 for the basic Prius 2. After many tidious price negotiations I had come to find out the the dealers invoice is just a little over $23,600. Anyhow, I want to let u guys know that you can buy one a couple of hundred shy of $23,500. It all depends on how good of a negotiator you are. It's possible though folks. Please continue to help eachother out. You are doing a great service.

The priUs 3 w/nav went as low as $25,900. I did not end up purchasing any Toyota though. A General Motors dealer offered me a deal I could not refuse, so I persued it. Don't purchase a car unless you are happy with the pricing. Good deals are out there to be made. Good Luck!
    Don't believe dealer's invoice price. They sold me the Prius III at the price $22900, which is $1200 off the invoice price $24100. Go to TrueCar.com and get an general idea about the real price.
  • Thanks for clarifying the true car site. I had no idea what that was. It would have been nice to have during my negotiations. Thanks again! :)
  • Hi, new to the forum. totally helpful stuff here.

I've called 19 dealerships' Internet Sales Depts, and received 14 responses for the Prius 3 without Navigation base model. Prices are staying steady at $25,450 OTD at 2 dealerships.

I've decided to go with the Nav package and it looks like TruCar's valuation jumped $300 from $24,691 to $24,991 today. Not sure how or why that happened. Also hit up their recommended dealers and they came back with a price $200 above what TruCar base is. I will use this ammo to get them down. Looking like best deal now is $27,500 OTD Winter Grey Prius with Nav package. Wish me luck. I'd kill to find a deal on this package at closer to $27,000.

is it possible? anyone have any luck getting it that low?
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,315
    I'm seeing prices people are posting but not the msrp vs the sale price. Kind of difficult to evaluate.
  • toughshopper1: Get a quote through Costco as well. Mine was not competitive but it was another data point. Also, you can ask dealers to BEAT the lowest quote you have received and work your way down from there. It takes some time, but it's possible to find an absolute bottom "floor".
  • msrp on my 2011 prius 2, white with floor matts was $24,700 vs sale price or final invoice of $23,000 without $1,000 incentive, chose 0% for 60 months instead. a good price for my small city but bought last day of month 11/30. My dealership needed the extra sale to make their quota.
    Steve
    Nice deal -- when I bought my 2010 IV in August of 2010 the finance deal was $750 or .9% for 60 months. I opted for the finance pack as well. Of course back then, they were really dealing, so my MSRP was 27400 and the selling price was 25000. All done through truecar. Almost 19k miles on the prius and except for rattles by the glove box -- everything has been perfect. Lots of room and great front seats.
  • Hey Jayrider, where did you get that deal for your Prius last year? why were they willing to go so low then? i find there's a of Prius cars on lots now because Japan just delivered what they fell behind - or so i hear - dunno if it is true. I want to find that 'floor'. any help is appreciated.

thanks!
    edited December 2011
    You can't go back to August 2010 unless you have a time machine. the dealer i bought from has prius IV models on truecar with $2500 discounts. My guess is that the cars are loaded with aftermarket extras but if you work, you can get that deal. Check truecar with 62208 zip.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Was there any trade-in or financing with your Prius III at $22,900? Just wondering because sometimes dealers will give someone trading in and financing a really good price on the new car because they know they'll make more money on the finance and re-selling the trade-in. I know someone who bragged about buying a car for $1000 under invoice, but then was paying a higher than average interest rate and got a pretty low trade-in. A dealer will be more than willing to sell $1000 below invoice if they know they'll more than make up the difference through finance charges and especially when re-selling the trade-in.

That's why it can be hard to compare deals posted here unless you know all the details. Even the time of the month makes a difference too, since at the end of the month dealers are often willing to make more deals to get their numbers up as well as get cars off the lot for tax purposes.
    No trade-in. 0 APR for 36 months. $7500 down payment. I'm at San Diego.
  • Just helped my girlfriend"s parents go through the new car buying process. They wanted a 2011 Prius III with solar roof/gps. MSRP $ 29,279.00 $1000 rebate...the OTD price was $28,500.00 including dark window tint $499.00 (Arizona)and pin striping $199. Might have been able to play a little more hardball and get it down a bit possibly @ $28000.00 if I was buying it for myself but they had the right color with the right equipment so her folks decided that was close enough.
    A heads up on the pin striping for the future The customize shops charge $35-$40 to do that and make money. The dealer probably squeezes the subcontractor to do them for $15. Always say you don't like it -- and they might throw it into the deal.
  • Totally agree on the pin striping.... I always go for an out the door price and never pay extra for the dealer add-ons. They arent gonna take it off the car if you dont want to pay for it. Same goes for the tint which you really need in AZ. The salesguy tried to get that after we agreed on an out the door price..He said well ok but you have to pay for the tint.. I said we agreed on an out the door price for that particular vehicle stock # 1234 and that includes whatever is on there now...you wanna sell it or not?.. and ofcourse he did.
  • svn26svn26 Posts: 4
    California - I'm seeing 2011 Prius II prices (after $1k rebate) around $21400-21700. Good deals?
    edited December 2011
    Best deal around here is 22400. 2k off is decent for sure. Of course you will have to fight tooth and nail to get the car without dealer add-ons and the gauntlet in the finance office. You will be pressured hard so practice saying no thanks.
  • svn26 - I am also getting quotes around $21500 in SF Bay Area. I am assuming the range you quoted is before sales tax, license, and doc fees?
  • david6david6 Posts: 75
    After much working of email, I ended up with a very satisfactory price.

I emailed 21 dealers within a 2 hour drive, and 13 provided proposals. Competing bids are wonderful and exciting!

I ended up with a 2011 Prius 3 with only floor mats and 50-state tinted windows. Dealer is adding full leather.

Vehicle price: $22,530 before tax, tag and doc fees.

Oddly, the MSRP on the floor mats was $299 from all of the dealers, while Edmunds shows it as $200. Edmunds doesn't show the tint either. So, assuming that the "invoice" cost is about 65% of the MSRP, I figure that total invoice should have been $25,486. That gives me a savings of $2,256 or 8.9% off of invoice.

No financing, took the cash incentive. As well as the dealer holdback, and more!

I'm pretty happy with the deal, and even got a good price for my trade in (I made sure I knew what it was worth going in). The annoying thing is when I told other dealers that they didn't win, several said they would beat my best deal by $300. They should have given me that number up front!
  • david6david6 Posts: 75
    Oh, the deal came from Toyota West in Statesville, NC.
  • This is a great sweet price that you've gotten, my friend!! Congratulations!! Just 8 months ago dealers were charging premium on top of MRSP for Prii-- well, it was also after disaster in Japan and shortage of vehicles. Buying a car between mid-December and the end of January is the best deal: dealerships are deserted, however you still have to work hard and negotiate not to give extra bucks to the dealers. :)
  • I just got a Prius II deal from Hayward Toyota for $21k (before tax and licensing) Tax and Licensing adds up to $2K so it came out at $23K OTD. There is plenty of ads in the news paper these days from dealers wanting to sell the Prius II with that price.

I would have gone for Prius III but they charge $1K more for Bluetooth and JBL stereo which I think is a rip off.

I went to Frys and bought Motorola Bluetooth speaker, stick it on the viser and it works great, the inbuilt stereo system is pretty good, why pay 1K more!

By the way I am very happy with my purchase, I have been getting 50-55mpg, I don't know why anyone would want to drive any other car, this is a great car!
  • hi, it sounds like you got a great deal. i'm looking for a prius ii as well. can you tell me what to ask for, a special discount or special? was your car a test drive car or was is brand new? were there others left? thanks.
  • Just contact their Internet department, my car was brand new (only had 2 miles on it) they still have few left, contact them soon before they are gone.
    The dealers around St. Louis are loaded on prius inventory -- deals are pretty decent but be careful out there. The f & i mgr is waiting to make your net deal stink with all kinds of worthless add-ons. And those guys are good at what they do.
  • sounds like a very good deal. I am in th SF bayarea too.

What was your 'doc fee' and what sort of add-ons did your car come with... the standard floor/cargo mats? I will check to see what Hayward has in stock and also the dealers closer to me in the east/north bay.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,105
    I think the doc fee in CA is restricted to $55, by statute...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• On 19 Dec 2011 I purchased for my wife a 2011 prius three hatch in which our dealer advertised 20 % off any prius in stock(they had 21). This came out to $21,081 from a MSRP total monroney sticker price of $26,353. I asked our salesman to take me directly to the general sales mgr. in which I informed him that I would be paying cash in the form of a cashiers check and wanted him to delete the doc fee of $599.50. He told me he could'nt do it due to the low price with little profit to the dealership. We decided to go ahead and purchase the car anyway after thinking it over for an hour. We had the salesman take us back to him and then he told us for that price we would have to finance the car through Southeast Toyota Distributors. We told him we did'nt want to do that and had already earlier told him we would be paying cash. I was very angry but asked how much woulf the fee be. He picked up the phone, called accounting and told us $785. We left telling him this was rediculous. The salesman, who we like, convinced us it was still a good price. We went back to conclude the deal and the comptroller told us the genera Mgr had made a mistake and the fee would be $2000. but he would ask the same Mgr if in view of the circumstances a $1000. fee could be accepted. I then told him that the General Mgr had already offered the fee for $785. origonally offered to us. He said yes. If it was'nt for my wife, I would have told him what he could do with his "if you pay cash fee". The out the door price with all the add on junk and fees was a total of $24173.19. I am going to go to the Florida Attorney General about these obviously deceptive sales practices.
  • I didn't see an email address on their website, did you use the 'request a quote' link for dealer in Hayward... AutoWest?