Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• david6david6 Posts: 75
    Oh, the deal came from Toyota West in Statesville, NC.
  • This is a great sweet price that you've gotten, my friend!! Congratulations!! Just 8 months ago dealers were charging premium on top of MRSP for Prii-- well, it was also after disaster in Japan and shortage of vehicles. Buying a car between mid-December and the end of January is the best deal: dealerships are deserted, however you still have to work hard and negotiate not to give extra bucks to the dealers. :)
  • I just got a Prius II deal from Hayward Toyota for $21k (before tax and licensing) Tax and Licensing adds up to $2K so it came out at $23K OTD. There is plenty of ads in the news paper these days from dealers wanting to sell the Prius II with that price.

I would have gone for Prius III but they charge $1K more for Bluetooth and JBL stereo which I think is a rip off.

I went to Frys and bought Motorola Bluetooth speaker, stick it on the viser and it works great, the inbuilt stereo system is pretty good, why pay 1K more!

By the way I am very happy with my purchase, I have been getting 50-55mpg, I don't know why anyone would want to drive any other car, this is a great car!
  • hi, it sounds like you got a great deal. i'm looking for a prius ii as well. can you tell me what to ask for, a special discount or special? was your car a test drive car or was is brand new? were there others left? thanks.
  • Just contact their Internet department, my car was brand new (only had 2 miles on it) they still have few left, contact them soon before they are gone.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,198
    The dealers around St. Louis are loaded on prius inventory -- deals are pretty decent but be careful out there. The f & i mgr is waiting to make your net deal stink with all kinds of worthless add-ons. And those guys are good at what they do.
  • sounds like a very good deal. I am in th SF bayarea too.

What was your 'doc fee' and what sort of add-ons did your car come with... the standard floor/cargo mats? I will check to see what Hayward has in stock and also the dealers closer to me in the east/north bay.
  • I think the doc fee in CA is restricted to $55, by statute...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• On 19 Dec 2011 I purchased for my wife a 2011 prius three hatch in which our dealer advertised 20 % off any prius in stock(they had 21). This came out to $21,081 from a MSRP total monroney sticker price of $26,353. I asked our salesman to take me directly to the general sales mgr. in which I informed him that I would be paying cash in the form of a cashiers check and wanted him to delete the doc fee of $599.50. He told me he could'nt do it due to the low price with little profit to the dealership. We decided to go ahead and purchase the car anyway after thinking it over for an hour. We had the salesman take us back to him and then he told us for that price we would have to finance the car through Southeast Toyota Distributors. We told him we did'nt want to do that and had already earlier told him we would be paying cash. I was very angry but asked how much woulf the fee be. He picked up the phone, called accounting and told us $785. We left telling him this was rediculous. The salesman, who we like, convinced us it was still a good price. We went back to conclude the deal and the comptroller told us the genera Mgr had made a mistake and the fee would be $2000. but he would ask the same Mgr if in view of the circumstances a $1000. fee could be accepted. I then told him that the General Mgr had already offered the fee for $785. origonally offered to us. He said yes. If it was'nt for my wife, I would have told him what he could do with his "if you pay cash fee". The out the door price with all the add on junk and fees was a total of $24173.19. I am going to go to the Florida Attorney General about these obviously deceptive sales practices.
  • I didn't see an email address on their website, did you use the 'request a quote' link for dealer in Hayward... AutoWest?
  • phillyguy6phillyguy6 Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Purchased a 2011 Prius II today for $23,500 OTD. The best deal I was coming across were ~$23,000 OTD on advertised specials (on specific cars in the dealer' inventory). I didn't have the patience to chase them down (dealers start playing games on what's available or not, etc.).

This was in the Peninsula in SF Bay Area.
  • autumnskyautumnsky Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Dec 31, the last day of the month and the last day of the year. The stars are aligned for great car deals.

The opportunity to connect with dealerships via the Edmunds site is fantastic. After narrowing my car search to a Prius lll without nav. I started the day early on Saturday emailing dealers (about 10-12) in three regions of Virginia using the Edmunds site to request price quotes. By 9am my phone was ringing off the hook. Negotiations went back and forth until about noon when I narrowed the offers to two. A dealership in Northern VA offered to sell me a new Prius lll w/out nav for $22,300 including everything except tax and title, this deal also included the 60 month finance at 0%. A dealership in Maryland (just over the VA line) offered the same deal for $22,700. The critical factor in closing the deal would be what could I get for a trade-in of my 100k+ miles vehicle?

A little after noon I loaded in my aging car to make the 2 1/2 hour trip to Falls Church in northern VA. Not only did the dealership there deliver on their promised price for the car plus 60 mnth 0% financing, but they also offered a very fair deal for my aging car (you have to know your numbers going into this and the Edmunds site and Kelley Book helps with perspective).

Needless to say, I'm loving my new Prius 3 and I am very impressed with the sales team I met. BTW, the second dealership was in Salisbury, MD. I was also very impressed with my phone dealings with them.

Remember, only a few days left (Jan 3) on that sweet 60mnth 0% finance deal by Toyota. Happy shopping.
  • This is a classic example of "low-balling" practice, it should be included in all textbooks.
  • The cheapest I am able to get a 2011 Prius around here (midwest) is $23,300 (includes all fees except sales tax). Seems like others in this thread have gotten a lot better deals, not sure if I am lacking in negotiating skills or this is just how it is in my area. Gonna make a decision today, any advice?
  • sink1sink1 Posts: 3
    Yes, that's the number I get a lot here in Ohio. But today, so far, I have 2 dealers going down to match Columbus OH price of $22,500 for Prius II., plus tx, title and doc fee of $250. I want to buy today, and on the phone they say they can sell at that price. Now to see if I get a surprise when I get to dealer to get the deal done.
  • Ya it sounds like you are getting about $550 less than my quote. I am getting Blizzard Pearl so that adds $220 generally, and this one has lighted door entry which is an extra that I probably don't care too much about but is on this model.

The nearest dealer to me was about $200 higher and I felt like I did all I could to negotiate but they weren't budging.

I am headed to dealership today as well...good luck!
  • sink1sink1 Posts: 3
    My dealer here in Ohio did come through. No hard sale, very quick and easy. I got my Prius II for 22,500, plus tax and title, and OH doc fee. I financed it all for 3 yrs at .9 percent. Other dealers did not budge below $23,600! I got to that number by getting Columbus dealer quotes and then taking it my dealer who matched it.
  • Oh yes, giving a view into the competitors pricing gives leverage. Congrats on the new Prius.
  • Hi, Thats an excellent deal. Do you mind sharing the dealership names? Is 22300 for Prius 3 or 2? Apologies for too many questions as the lowest i got was 23600 for Prius 3 in Philli area.
  • Bill Page in Falls Church, VA
    Pohanka in Salisbury, MD
    also try Koons in Alexandria, VA