Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• That sounds like a good deal. Which dealership and state did you get your car from?
  • kkt2002kkt2002 Posts: 2
    This is a great OTD price. What color and options do you have on this Prius III?
    Thanks.
  • tickletickle Posts: 5
    I got my Prius 3 at Dublin Toyota in Northern CA.
  • lesrosalesrosa Posts: 2
    got Prius 3 also in Blizzard white for $26,215 OTD (in Alameda, where sales tax is higher). I've contacted 10+ dealers via internet pricing but couldn't reach the price as low as yours (Dublin Toyota even gave me a crazy high number and was not willing to beat others). I finally gave up and went for the lowest price, but enjoyed the service and experience.
  • want2buyhwant2buyh Posts: 11
    hi tickle,

sounds like a real god deal. I have a couple of questions for you,

Could you break the price down, ...before tax, license and fees? I live in the north part of the bay area and my tax rate is 8.375% so I might be getting it a little cheaper.

Also, what options did you get.. ie floor mats, etc..

thanks in advance for your response
    hi buy_prius,
    What was your tax rate? I am in the north part of the bay area and it would be 8.375% for me.

maybe i can get it a little lower.
    edited July 2012
    Your pricing is still better than most. Dublin also originally priced me higher but I gave them a bottom line to match or I was going to leave. It worked out well and I'm very happy with the purchase. I'd recommend Dublin because they were pretty good about the whole thing :)

Btw, Dublin originally quoted me $25,738.00 BEFORE taxes.
    edited July 2012
    Hi want2buyh,

Before tax $23,265.00
    Doc fee $55.00
    Tax $2,040.50 (I think its 8.75% but the math shows 8.77%)
    DMV fee $29.00
    Total Cash Price $25,389.50

License Fee $151.00
    Reg/Title Fee $90.00
    CA Tire Fee $8.75
    Total Official Fees $249.75

TOTAL $25,639.25 (this is for Blizzard Pearl White)

I paid $239.25 for the White color thats $220 plus tax. If I didn't get white, any other color would've been $25,400.00 Out the door.

Hope this helps. It's for the Prius 3 with floor mats and no extra options.
    thank you very much for the details, it will help me in my purchase....
  • Tickle,
    I came to Dublin Toyota with a check book ready to make deal today. I'm in Alameda county also. The best OTD Prius 3 blizzard pearl is quoted very high at 27200 by the manager. I forwarded this post to him. He said it's bogus. Either I have to speak to a different manager or he doesn't want do any business today. I even offered at 26k but no deal. :(
    Hi Trinity,

I'm sorry :( I wish there was some way I can help you out more. But that's definitely the pricing I got and it's not bogus. I pulled those numbers from my Sales Contract. My transaction was done with mainly one person with a little bit of help from a secondary person. I dealt with a Fleet manager.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A journalist would like to speak to someone who considered buying a plug-in hybrid, but ultimately decided against it. If you were recently in the market for a new car, considered buying a plug-in hybrid like the Nissan Leaf or the Chevy Volt, but decided to buy a conventional hybrid (e.g. Prius, Civic Hybrid, Malibu Hybrid, etc.) or traditional power train, please send your daytime contact information including telephone number to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 9, 2012 at 10 a.m. Pacific/1 p.m. Eastern.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

My experience with another dealer(and another make of car) is the easiest way to get the best price is to contact the dealer's fleet manager or internet sale manager via email asking for their best price. You then continue to negotiate via email or phone.

With my last 3 auto purchases I have never set foot on the delear's lot looking to buy a car, I have only gone there to close the deal negotiated via email/phone.

hope this helps...
  • want_prius3want_prius3 Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I finally bought Toyota Prius Gen3 package 3 from Dublin Toyota for $26100 OTD on June 30th. It was $23688+ TTL on MSRP of 26550. Many of the bay area dealers have this car advertised for $23998 or so. BTW, I took advertised price from Fremont Toyota and they beat by $100. I felt we could have negotiated lil more by walking out but decided to get the car.
    I too was shopping to get closer to $25.5K OTD but no dealer could come closer to that.
  • micky10micky10 Posts: 4
    It is Prius III std (NAV and eNtune)and grey color and no additional options...

It is Tustin Toyota in Orange county ,CA
    Thanks for your help!

Dealer matched with Penfed so now rate reduced to 1.99 same as credit union... I did this within 72 hours so they could change it...
    I think it will be helpful you should go with the OTD price and let dealer worry about calculating the invoice price...
    For the benefit of the other readers it is best to see a break down in price, every state/city does things differently. There are different tax rates, differnt dmv fees, etc. I am in California and the sales tax is based on where you live and not where you buy the car. If someone back east says they got a car for $25k, I need to know what their TTL amount and car price are. Is it 24k for the car and TTL is 1k? or 22k for the car and 3k TTL?

By knowing what the price of the car is, I can get a better idea of what the cost is to me.

When I solicit offers, I always ask for their best OTD price. I let them know where I am located so they can use the correct sales tax.

In my experience with dealers, they tend to talk about car price +TTL.
  • alyfayalyfay Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Just bought a brand new 2012 Prius 5 (not V) in Blizzard White with Misty Gray leather interior. No extra packages, just the base trim 5 model. This is a very hard combo to find I recently learned. I'm in the Bay Area (California) and discovered there's only 4 in Northern California!

We called nearly every dealership in the Bay Area asking for $31,500 OTD with accessories (lower door moldings, all weather mats, all weather cargo mat). The closest we came was with Dublin Toyota at $32,200. However, they were going to have to reach out to their sister dealership in Salinas to have the car sent over by truck. To make a long story short, we backed out of the Dublin deal because they weren't being honest with us. We found out the car was going to be driven (rather than loaded on a truck like they had said) from Salinas to Dublin (90 miles), they couldn't provide us with the initial miles on the car, and they weren't firm on the day it would arrive. They were argumentative, called us liars, and it was just a very unprofessional experience.

So... we went to Toyota Marin who was the only dealership in the Bay Area with the car we wanted. We ended up paying $32,320 OTD without accessories. After accessories the price was around $32,650.

If you're in the Bay Area and looking for a Toyota definitely check out Marin. Customer service was top notch (we felt like we were at a Lexus dealership), they're quick to get back to you, and they don't play games. What more can you ask for??
  • lylexlylex Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Hello, all:

I want to buy a 2012 Prius III/2 with standard colors and no options. The absolute bottom of the line.

TrueCar.com says:
    $24,760=Msrp, $24,317=MarketAverage, $23,741=FactoryInvoice, $23,261=DealerCost

Kelly Blue Book website says:
    $24,760=Msrp, $23,881=FairPurchasePrice, $23,320=DealerInvoice

Assuming I don't need financing from the dealer, and assuming the prices above are all-inclusive except tax, license, & doc: what figure should I target in negotiations? To me, $23,000 sounds like an agressive starting point, with $24,000 as a upper bound.

Thanks...Lyle