Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica VS Mitsubishi Eclipse

124»

Comments

• JK, I had the Honda's in mind, but the Accords tend to be abit on the expensive side. No? I think MSRP on the basic coupe is almost $25K. That's alot. Honda's make some fantastic cars, but they tend to be abit pricey. The Prelude is beautiful and built like a dream, but at 1.5 times the price of a Celica GT, it just isn't worth it.

The more I think about it, the more attracted I am to the Celica GT. You just can't beat the price on it .... $17K base, and maybe $20K with a few options. There aren't too many cars in this class with this kind of price.

It seems like the more feedback I get off of these boards, the less I'm inclined to the Solara. For most of us enthusiasts, the thrill and joy of driving is part of the reason why we buy cars. All indications show that the Solara isn't a very exciting car to drive. That dampens my enthusiasm for the vehicle. If I wanted a boat, I'd get a 4 door.

Any thoughts on the Miata? Almost all sources say that it's the most fun for the dollar. Talk about impractical. Though, I'll tell you, I'd love a convertible one day.

Eddie
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    You wrote that you're leaning towards the
    Celica GT. Have you considered the Cougar
    at all? For a bit more than the Celica GT,
    you could get a V6 Cougar (actually, here in
    Portland OR, the 2000 models are being sold
    at VERY attractive prices). I know it's not
    an import, but perhaps it's still worth a
    look. The Cougar seems to offer a lot of
    bang for your buck.
  • slip the clutch at 6000rpms, powershift from 1st to 2nd just before fuel cut off (8300rpm) so you land back in the 2nd cams. shift from 2nd to 3rd again just before fuel cutoff.

result: 0-60 = 6.6 seconds

for those who're stuck with an automatic tranny (which is considerably slower than the manual version), check out www.levelten.com for some performance upgrades for your auto.
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    VTR1000, wow!..not bad at all.
    I bet you have no problem getting that front wheel off the ground eh? :-D
    People thought I was crazy for jumping on a 900 as my first bike. But I got a great deal on it with only 13k miles. For a honda, mileage like this is nothing. It was also the first year of the redesign. It took me a month before I had the stones to redline this baby! I still can't believe the power after 6-7k rpm.
    It definitely helps satisfy my craving for a rush. To bads its almost winter here though :-(
    Oh yeah...the chicks love it too :-D

As far as a car, If you could scrounge up a few more grand, I would definitely look into a base prelude (21,600) or eclipse gt with sun and sound for around 21,000.

Both these cars are "much" more fun to drive than a plain celica "gt". They require less effort and have a much more spacious interior.
    I had alot of fun with the v6 in the eclipse. I loved the torque!
  • We should change this to a motorcycle forum. I learned on a Ninja ZX7 so I guess a 900 isn't that bad to start on. I guess it's all up to the rider to maintain a level of sanity. Ha, ha.

But you're right, riding a motorcycle is the closest thing to flying we can get. I love the thrill of driving a sports car, but hell, nothing comes close to that of a sports bike.

Have you seen the new CBR990? Fantastic. I tend to like the V-twins, but hell, the 4's are insane ... and cheap as hell.

But for me, my first issue is to sell my current car. Then I'll have the loot to put down for the downpayment on a new one.

Actually, esto, I looked into the Cougar. Mercury did a nice job with it. I was hoping that I could save some money, figuring that American cars will be abit cheaper, but they're still quite abit of loot. Considering all the repair issues I'm dealing with now, I'd like something where I won't have to worry about repairs for about 10 years.

I agree that the Prelude and Eclipse GT have more gusto than the Celica. Man, there are so many options these days. It's like going into a strip club and having any hot chick you want ... damn, what to do??? Ha, ha.

The only other problem I have to worry about with financing a new car is the nightmarish cost of comprehensive insurance in NYC. I can possibly be looking at $3000 a year. I think I'm gonna faint.

OK guys ... remember. Get yourselves a nice used Ninja and you'll "smoke" anybody on the road. Now that's a rush. But no wheelies ... too dangerous.

Eddie
  • ... as Spyder put it, the chicks LOVE it. I get more phone numbers on an $8000 motorcycle than I do with a 3000GT super sports car.

Insane!!! Something to think about guys...

Eddie
    Have'nt seen the 990's yet. You sure your not thinking of the 929 possibly?
    I agree with the wheelies. I don't do them either, too scared and still have so much more to live for in life.
    Bikes are fun and exciting. But you always have to keep your eyes open. Chances are you won't hit anyone, but if someone was to clip you, I would much rather have 3000lbs of steel surrounding me compared to nothing on a bike.

Dude...you gotta stop blowing all your money at scores!!! LOL :-D

take care..
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, I invite you to open a topic in the News & Views conference on the Joys of Motorcycles. They're off topic in here. ;-)

carlady/host
    alright..alright..I promise to be good from now on :-)

Although, it would be pretty cool if edmunds did have motorcycle value information. After all, the competitors at the kelly blue book do.
    Just an idea thats all..
    Sounds like a new topic to me! See you in News & Views!! ;-)

carlady/host
  • Sorry about rambling on about motorcycles. This is the closest thing I get to riding in the crappy weather.

OK back to car-talk. I pretty much have my mind set on a new Celica. I stopped by Westbury Toyota over the weekend, and they didn't have much left of the 2000 models but were giving some good incentives for whatever was remaining.

My biggest issue at this point is the affordability of insurance. How do people get by around here? My insurance payment will equal my car payment. Killer!

Do any of you guys know of good on-line insurance brokers? Are they pretty much the same? I go through Geico now, but is there a better alternative?

Thanx...

Eddie
    Eddie, if you haven't already done so, I encourage you to look at the Finance, Insurance & Warranty conference. I think you'll find some very helpful information there.

carlady/host
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Please continue this discussion in this ongoing discussion: Toyota Celica vs. Mitsubishi Eclipse. See ya there, and thanks for your participation.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

124»
This discussion has been closed.