Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

rex12rex12 Posts: 133
edited March 20 in Chrysler
I just drove one (loaded) leather, moonroof, cd,
16" wheels, tint, the whole 9 yards. Sticker?
$20,000! It was so damn cool!

The interior is the most versatile interior I have
ever encountered! The rear deck cover pulls out
and makes a table for tailgating parties! The back
seats fold down or can be pulled out completely.
The front passenger seat folds flat for more cargo
area!

Based on a Neon the PT gets around 30mpg!

They are coming out with a turbo soon.

Cooler than a minivan but big enough for a family.

I will buy one. You?

Comments

• rex12rex12 Posts: 133
    You posess a ton of insight! Congrats on a fine post!
  • spnxspnx Posts: 37
    Hey, I answered your question, didn't I?
    Oh, very well then.

No, I would not consider buying a Chrysler product because of their poor reliability records. Recent Chrysler models are notorious for peeling paint, electrical problems, failing head gaskets, drivetrain and transmission failure and a host of other design flaws.

They are poorly-engineered vehicles, and owning one will put you on intimate terms with their service department.

I shudder to think of owning any Chrysler, let alone a turbocharged model. Although the PT Cruiser may be fun to drive (for a minivan), I couldn't bring myself to overlook their terrible reputation, and I feel that if you would purchase one, well, lets just say you better get the extended warranty, and maybe buy a second car for those days when the PT Cruiser is at the shop.
    So it is a forgone conclusion that, no matter what, a Chrysler will break down. Hmmmmm well, that's pretty trite.

I think the same sort of web sites and similar comments regarding overall craftmanship can be found for just about every manufacturer. As a matter of fact, if I go to Alldata and look it up, it seems as though they have spared no one! Mercy!

http://www.alldata.com/pro/TSB/yr.html
    Ya don't recall the Daytona? Shadow? GLH? etc. I don't remember CP having a major problem with turbos.
    No, I didn't say that.

However, statistically speaking, you're probably better off with another manufacturer.
    just can't please some people.

First I don't write enough, then I write too much... ;-)
    If everything you say is true and no matter what any Chrysler bought will be trash then they'll be out of biz soon.

Haa haaa haaaa....

REPENT DC THE END IS NEAR!

Oh brother, give it a rest.
    No, they're priced pretty low, and they can always find some sucker who will buy them.
    I was curious what you did or did not like about the PT Cruiser. I really am sorry that somewhere along the line DC left you with such a sour taste in your mouth.

Thanks for the insight on car problems though.

Actually, my ONLY worry is buying North American. I have owned 3 Honda's over the last 7 years and I'm not looking forward to problems that can only be serviced by a dealer that wants to rape me financially.

Sorry for the jabs.
    No, no!

No offense taken at all :-)

Honestly, I just think that you would be better off not buying a Chrysler product. I read Lemonaid (I don't know if you have it in the US, it's a Canadian publication), and Chrysler is consistantly making their "not recommended" category.

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, although I must admit, I've never actually owned one myself.

I think if you moved from Honda to Chrysler, you'd find a BIG drop in reliability and overall quality.

And I always enjoy a feisty discussion :-)
    I also own a 95' Neon and while it has NOWHERE near the fit and feel my "cheap" 2000 Civic has it is reliable and fun to drive. It has only been in the shop for scheduled maint.

The PT was so cool I just have to have one.

Problems I hear of seem to come from people that just don't know how to take care of a car. Granted some problems are legitimate but overall I get the feeling of dumb consumers and $h!+head dealers trying to fix major recalls.
    So many people get on these boards and take everything so personally.
  • ozarkozark Posts: 124
    NOT...give it a rest...Compared to many of the imports Detroit has admittedly had some quality problems, but seem to have gotten considerably better over the last 10 years. If Dodge and Jeep are Chyrslers you prospective buyers might want to talk to some owners rather than rely on one disgruntled consumer's ranting drivel. My piece of junk(not to me) Jeep Cherokee(Chrysler Product) has 242,000 miles on the original engine and still purrs along both on the highway and off and compared with previous vehicles(including half a dozen imports) has been the most reliable and economical vehicle I have ever owned. So it goes. I can't wait to drive the PT Cruiser. Daimler Chrysler has some guts to take the risks involved with making this car which will have a great market. Maybe they'll just ship all the lemons to Canada :-). Just kidding.
    Actually, the URLs I posted aren't representitive of one owner, they represent MANY owners.

I'd believe that they ship all the lemons to Canada, except for the fact that many of these horror story sites created by Chrysler owners originated from the US.

And if you read the earlier postings in this thread, you'd realize that I'm not, and have never been a Chrysler owner (thank God!).
  • mfarmer2mfarmer2 Posts: 67
    The local dealer has one listed at 26k, which is about 4 grand over the msrp. Does anyone think there's any chance prices will be coming down any time in the near future?

Mary
  • uvraysuvrays Posts: 1
    I love both my 1990 Jeep Wrangler and my 2001 PT. No problems with either. With ANY car you buy, I'm sure you'll
    find people who have had problems with them.
  • mfarmer2mfarmer2 Posts: 67
    Care to share what your Pt cruiser purchase experience was like? Did you have to wait to wait long for your purchase? Cost? Thanks ahead of time for any information.

Mary
  • jxyoungjxyoung Posts: 156
    Mine is being built and should be here around the end of April. Order date August 16, 2000.
    I will be the last person to get one from my dealer all other orders will be removed whne mine comes in.

If they still want one they will have to place their orders again later.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Posts: 319
    I think the PT looks like a hearse. Which is appropriate after seeing it's front crash ratings.

They are also really small. And you want to pay $26,000.00 for that. Are you kidding?

I think you are ready for the Mini.

A new Mini car is coming, along with lots of hype

Check it out at:

http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/03/25/automotive/

I am paying $500 below sticker for my PT. Limited edition.
    I bet the Mini won't sell as low as $16000
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Sounds like you might be interested in our active Mini Cooper discussion. Here's the direct link: Mini Cooper (2002). Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Owners can compare notes, and others can see what it's like to live with a 2001 PT cruiser... in Edmund.com's long term road tests.

You'll find a direct link to Edmund.com's PT Cruiser long term road test on the left hand column of this page. Look for it in the "Additional Resources" section (white box).

Fyi, our "Additional Resources" is a new feature. I'll also be linking up other PT Cruiser articles and related discussions... in that area in the near future.

Pocahontas
    Host
  • greg116greg116 Posts: 116
    It may kill you in a crash, it may be a headache to get one, and it might be a little slow fully loaded going uphill with the A/C cranked, but darn it, this thing is as close to perfect as a Detroit automobile ever got! Let's adress the three major gripes people/reviewers have about this vehicle.

1: Underpowered. For most people, 150HP is going to be plenty for all theyll ever really need, eg daily commuting. If not, the 2002 model with it's turbocharged 200HP motor will quench your thirst for guts. If you can't wait, then take the money you saved by getting a PT instead of that minivan or monster SUV and put some engine mods into it. Getting the 5-speed manual over the automatic helps too, and not just the acceleration.

2: Dealer headaches. A temporary problem. Production is being ramped up, and demand will start slowing soon. By 2003 MY it'll be like buying a Neon or Intrepid.

3: Low crash-test scores. LEARN TO DRIVE! A truly good driver can spot trouble in plenty of time to evade or correct. Don't believe me? Take a decent driving course, like YD, and not that DMV-passer people pay 20 bucks for a half-hour behind the wheel. I'm sorry if I sound cruel, but if people would just take the time and money to learn the skills that could save your life and the lives of others, we'd all be a lot better off. A $400.00 driving course is a heckuva lot better than a $1500.00+ repair job, not to mention skyrocketing insurance and the possible hospital bills, along with the emotional trauma, loss of transportation, yadda yadda yadda. If THAT doesent convince you, opt for the upgraded 4-wheel disc ABS brakes, if that makes you feel better.

Oh, and keep your hands at 3 and 9. No, not on your cellphone, ON YOUR STEERING WHEEL.

Drive safely.
    -Greg
    Thanks for your thoughts on the PT Cruiser! ;-)

To everyone- Here's an article about the PT Cruiser from Edmunds.com's News: Chrysler Studies Possibility of Open-Top PT Cruiser. What do you think?

Want to see a picture of this? Check out Greg116's post in our Upcoming Hatchbacks discussion. Talk to everyone later. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

• msu1msu1 Posts: 6
    I pick up my blue PT cruiser limited on Monday 16 April 01. It is a blast to drive;I got lucky and got one off the truck. The dealer got about eight or so late on Friday 6 April.3 blue,2 green and a few others. I got there early on Saturday and got a blue one. When I went back to pick it up on Monday, they were all spoken for,except for a white one. I am 6'2" and fit in comfortably.
    The heated seats came in handy since it snowed up here in the Pocono's yesterday. It is also hard to believe it is a Chrysler! The fit,feel and layout is great. I just love the door handles. The interior is nice and roomy and the power seems to be OK. I have not pounded on it yet but I had no problem getting on the highway and PT cruising at 80 mph. I paid a little under sticker, but it is hard to negotiate when there is a line of people waiting for them. It also helped that I was per-approved for the loan. I just hope it out lasts the loan.
    Happy PT owner.
    Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for sharing the details! Compared to others, it's sounds like you got a good deal buying it below msrp. So other's can know.., would you mind sharing what region/area you made your purchase? Thanks.

We look forward to hearing more about your PT Cruiser. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • msu1msu1 Posts: 6
    I purchased it at MOTOR WORLD GROUP
    Wilkes-barre PA
    that is in the northeastern part of the state.
    they have a web site so you can check out what they have in stock. but it shows the cars with a depots on them. so they may not be available.
    I got mine $500 below Sticker $1100 below the actual sticker with my price protection. I ordered it 8 months ago and I am the last person to get one from my dealer. I purchases mine in south Louisiana and the dealer was super to deal with. Got 17 mpg this tank. This is the first I have checked.

If you really want one you can find dealers that will not gouge you. It may take going to a few dealers but you will find one. I went to 3 dealers that would sell at sticker before finding my local dealer that would go $500 below. You may have to wait for a 2002 but they will be here before you know it.
This discussion has been closed.