Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,746
    I have had many cars over the years. In the last few years I have read all the reports, studied all the surveys and worried over getting the best car in the style I wanted. I have ended up buying cars that always fell short in some way of my expectations. The PT was a car I simply wanted. The seating position is nice in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a Sofa or Chair that had me sitting on the floor with my feet stretched out so why would I get a car that made me sit that way? PT drivers tend to wave at each other and the aftermarket is loaded with parts. When I had my Prelude I could go to the parts store and no one gave it a second glance. The PT gets more than glances. The Prelude was a good car and did pretty much what I expected it to do. It just wasn't as comfortable. It is hard to describe to non enthusiasts but let me try. Driving a car is a bit like going out to dinner. We all like a nice meal but many of us look forward to dessert. Driving the PT is like dessert, its comfort food for the soul.
  • leejrleejr Posts: 3
    I got the 7 year 100k powertrain warranty for free but bought the 7 year 75k for $770. It is the warranty with the $100 dollar deductable. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on it. Honda has a 7 year 100k $0 deductable for $875. It tells you what's not included which is much easier to live with I think. We love our brand new cruiser with about 350 miles on it. I think it has plenty of power-very peppy. Our's is a 5 speed. You also have a great feeling driving it with response you get from others. Very fun car to drive and seems to be very well put together.
  • dlusgerdlusger Posts: 8
    We bought a 5 speed last October. Paid $1300 under invoice. The dealer in Upper Marlboro, MD is great with no pressure. They even faxed the invoice to my home with offer hand written at the bottom. Ask for Steve Brennen. They had the car on their lot since May. Seems nobody wants a 5 speed - except my European wife. Folks - if you can drive a stick, go for it - you won't regret it. We love ours. Acceleration gets better with time - must be break in of the car.

Leejr - your extended warranty sounds like a deal. Assume it is a Chrysler contract. Did you buy the Power Train Care Plus or Added Care? We got the Maximum Care that's suppose to be as comprehensive as you can get (5000+ parts). Paid $1440 for 7/75000, $0 deductible after making an offer based on internet search. Always been a foreign car owner so I wanted to be cautious with a US make in its first production year.

Now that the hype has worn off the PT Cruiser is starting a track record. Consumer Reports gives it steller reliability scores although crash testing was a bit subpar.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    I had to make a run to a local funeral home and pick up some flowers to deliver them. When I got there the flower room was filled with flowers. I just flipped up the rear seats and filled the car with arrangements. I got everything but two floor arrangements.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    I subscribe to Autoweek Online and got an e-mail about the new cars introduced at the New York Auto Show. They mentioned a PT Turbo to be introduced this fall. It's supposed to be a 2.4L with 215HP and 145lb-ft torque. There's a 5 speed Getrag transaxle standard, and an optional 4 speed auto with a clutchless manual shifter.
    It has a chrome tip exhaust with a pronounced exhaust note, per Chrysler, and a set of 17-inch cast aluminum wheels fitted with a set of performance treads, GT and Turbo badges on the exterior, body-color monotone front and rear fascias, plus some inside reminders of this sporty edition! Oh, boy. I wonder if I can get the hang of a clutchless shifter. (Can't drive a clutch without stripping gears!)Didn't VW have one on their Beetle in the early 70's?
  • little9little9 Posts: 30
    Minivan seating is fine...not too hard, not too soft. I thoroughly enjoyed your posting especially when you used the analogy of dining and the dessert to follow. See the posting by Andil1 (above) and the issue of "underpowered" will be settled. GET THOSE PONIES ROLLING CHRYSLER!
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    in the '70s. My Dad had a '71 Superbeetle with it. It had an electric clutch that worked when you touched the shifter. Only problem with that, I could no longer drive with my hand resting on the "stick".
  • markregelmarkregel Posts: 32
    Not that I give Consumer Reports arguably biased reviews much credibility, it is worth noting that in the latest automotive edition, the P.T. received their top rating for reliability. Hard to believe, but true! In fact, it came in second place, beating out the likes of Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Only the Toyota Echo scored better (you don't want one of these, trust me!). I wonder what the so called "experts" at Consumer Reports think now of this "another example of poor quality from Chrysler" as stated in their first review of the Cruiser.
  • markregelmarkregel Posts: 32
    Okay, I have finally decided to get a P.T Cruiser. I prefer manual, but the big question I have is how does it shift? Is it smooth and precise? Any 5-spd owners that wish to give advice would be greatly apprecated. Please respond to markd@inebraska.com

Thanks!
    I have the five speed and I have had many other manuals. It is just an opinion but mine seems to shift pretty well. It is smooth while still giving you the feel that you have it in gear. I have had some that you could not tell if you were in gear unless you let out the clutch. With the armrest down my fingertips just wrap around the shift knob, my arms are a bit short. If I am just cruising and not paying attention sometimes my fingers will flip the shifter from second into fifth. All that indicates is that it has a narrow gate. If I am not leaning on the armrest, that doesn't happen. As far as the way it shifts and the clutch engages? It is better than any VW I ever had.
  • dlusgerdlusger Posts: 8
    We went from a 96 BMW 318ti to a Cruiser. Compared to the bimmer the clutch was easier to depress - less fatiguing. The PT clutch engages a little abruptly. Seemed not much clutch travel to me. But, the learning curve was quick. I didn't notice after a short period. Now I see it as a very smooth clutch. Agree with boaz47 that it has small narrow throws. Once mastered, it shifts just dandy on a hard acceleration with smooth clutch/shift action. As I said in the earlier post - great acceleration. Real fun to drive.

Still gets admiring looks even though Cruiser supply is plentiful.
    of great acceleration and PT Cruiser. At least not when you go from a GM pickup to one. Granted the one I drove was automatic but I had to keep kicking into passing gear to get it moving on the freeway.
    The stick pulls harder than the auto but it isn't as quick as many sports sedans. It is 4 tenths of a second slower through the quarter than a Sierra HD with a 8 liter V-8. Of course if people want something to pull harder they can just wait for the Turbo. Looks like next year. But then it is called a cruiser after all. I tried the auto and I will admit you can't be in a hurry. But then, in all fairness isn't it better to give the people time to watch your ride drive by?
    The stick is a very pleasant driving vehicle, and is more than adequate to drive. It shifts well and is very easy to get used to. When I got my stick, I had not driven a stickshift in 15 years (since my marriage) I had little difficulty in getting back into the saddle. I have little difficulty in chosing my gear, when I want 5th, the gear level moves right into it. The other comment that it has a narrow shift pattern is correct.

The Auto is also a pleasant driving car, certainly not as peppy as the stick. My wife has the auto and she has no complaints about it for the driving she does. It is certainly able to keep up with traffic easily.

As someone else pointed out, the car is called a Cruiser. It is not a sports car, just a fun-to-drive, fun to be seen in car.
    with the 150 hp Quad-4. This car weighed 2800 lbs and was pretty snappy. When I first read about the PT it was supposed to be around 2800 lbs so I was looking for it to run as well. But then it got a little "porky" by the time it hit production. I'm in bumper to bumper traffic coming home from work so I'm not sure I could put up with that much shifting every day. But I would like to try.
    If I were still commuting in traffic I might have picked the automatic. I did that for many years when I worked in LA and in the afternoon traffic was a bear. But now I live in the mountains and have a easy 16 mile coast down the mountain every morning and the stick pulls a bit better for the windy uphill run in the afternoon. I plan on changing to a cold air intake and a free flowing exhaust soon. This car has enough power for my needs and I don't need the added temptation to see if I can attract more black and white cars. If a person wants more zoom they can wait for the turbo or the after market people have a bunch of speed parts for the PT. You can order everything from headers to superchargers right on line. It is my feeling that these cars are designed to be eye candy. Plus it is one of the most practical cars you can buy. I have never had a car that was easier to turn into a panel truck from a sedan or wagon.
    pretty difficult to find a rental with a stick. BTW, the automatic I did drive I rented while my Sierra was in the shop.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' coverage of the 2002 New York Auto Show: 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    It's about time, but I'll stick with my stick and my wifes auto, they're fine for us.
    I think motor options are good for just about any car. What the Turbo does is allows those that are leery of adding their own speed parts a factory option with warrantee. It should help the line a bit but I hope people won't have to wait two years before the price comes down out of the clouds.
This discussion has been closed.