Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thank goodness for the different tastes, otherwise we'd all be driving around with the same color vehicle. Right? ;-)

One of the reasons I like the black, aside from the fact that it's just a cool color imo, is because it blends in well with the PT Cruiser bumper. I also like that dark (taupe?) color.

Btw, what does everyone here think of the new wood panel exterior? I saw a red/wood panel Cruiser at the local dealer. Kind of interesting. I think it would also look good combined with black.

jpelder & heart93- Have you tried using a car duster on your black vehicles? I used to use one on a previously owned blk vehicle, and it was very helpful in keeping down on the cleanings.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • jpelderjpelder Posts: 235
    Revka, I plead ignorance. I do not know what a car duster is. Feel free to enlighten me!

With all my other vehicles, I always maintained a good coat of wax, so I could regularly wash with warm water (no soap).

I am going to try that Zaino stuff I've heard so much about.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi jpelder- Car duster. It's a log dust mop... for gently wiping the dust off your vehicle. The idea is to reduce the dust build up on your vehicle, therefore reducing the need for as many cleanings. The main reason I was inspired to use it was because dust is much more noticeable on a black than on other colors. So this was helpful for keeping our blk car looking nice more of the time...

Anyway, don't mean to take this subject off topic too much. You'll find more discussion on car dusters in some of the wax/cleaning discussions here. I know it's been mentioned a couple of times in this Women's Auto Center discussion. Start at post #3. Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • heart93heart93 Posts: 15
    jpelder - do you like the Alero? My brother-in-law just traded his in(also black) on a Focus. He hated it - kept having to put brakes on it.

Revka - I agree w/ the black blending in with the bumper. I don't like how the unpainted bumper stands out against the lighter colors.

I have a dash duster (same idea) that I like. I'll check out the car duster.

Along those same lines, someone just turned me on to Maguiers (sp?) car cleaners. They have a nice spray on product to help take some of the muck off between washings.

What types of aftermarket accessories have other people been adding to their Cruisers? I have some ideas, but have to do a little at a time, due to funds.
    So far, I love the car. Here are some pluses ans minuses as I compare it to the PT cruiser:

Plus: Engine seems peppier and I like the Getrag transmission better. The Ecotec is smoother and much easier to work on (for what they let you work on)...more room under the hood. The car handles much better, but that's a now brainer due to the different vehicle styles. Quieter ride and better sound system.

Minus: Not as versatile with cargo. I like the base PT cruiser seats better, as well as the dash styling. Cruiser has a more solid feel and better visibility. Cruiser just looks better too.

As you can see, it was not easy for me to walk away from the PT cruiser!

I have read about the disc brakes warping on the Alero. I use my gears to slow down, so I don't expect to generate as much disc heat as most others, but I also have until 2007 to get them fixed under warranty if it does occur.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Heart... You might want to wander over to http://www.ptenthusiasts.com/ for some ideas. With many of them the skies the limit. The first steps are generally the fuzzy dice and an aaaougha horn. Then you get into intake and exhaust mods. Of course flames are almost required. The serious ones get into turbocharging and suspension mods, there are also a number of front end treatments for those who don't like the stock grill.
    Personally, I'd get some of those drill spikes for your wheel hubs, like they have on "Grease" for gutting the tires/body on the guy next to you.

A very useful accessory for dealing with bad drivers!
    crkeehn - thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff there.

jpelder - I like the spike idea. Would be an interesting accesory to explain to the trooper ;-)

Although I like the 5 spd & think the acceleration is reasonable w/ it, I do agree the shifter is a little sloppy. I see that Hurst sells a replacement shifter. Does anyone have any experience w/ it, or have you seen any information from someone who has used it?
    Don't get me wrong, I think the PT has more than acceptable pep, but I think the car is heavy enough for a 6 cyl.

I drove 2 PT cruisers (both 5 speed)...one early last year and one just a few weeks ago. It may be my imagination, but the 5 speed I drove recently seemed to shift better. Perhaps I was just more accustomed to the position of the stick, which leads me to...

One thing that makes the shifter seem sloppy is the driving position. You are reaching down, as if in a delivery truck, as opposed to reaching forward. THus, you have to shift more with your shoulder than with your forearm/wrist. Does this make sense?
    I agree. I think the PT would benefit from a 6 cyl (although I'm not sure if there is room - it's a tight squeeze already). I think the 4 cyl when backed w/ the 5 speed is reasonable - especially if you keep it above 3,000 rpm.

Speaking of which - my mileage has been reasonable (around 24 mpg in mixed driving) even though I don't always drive in a conservative manner.

Let me clarify my complaint with the shifter. First, I really like the look. It is also reasonably decent in it's action. I would just like to see something that is a little more precise & has shorter throws. That's what the Hurst advertises. I was just wondering if anyone could back up that claim through personal experience.
  • Does anyone know of any after market parts which will lower the driver's seat. I'm 6'5", and there isn't quite enough headroom. I'd buy one if I could find somebody who'd lower/swap out the seats.

Thanks, David
    daaron2@pacbell.net
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    front ends they make for VW Beetles? I'm surprised somebody doesn't make one yet for the Cruiser. Although I suppose most people wouldn't even realize it was "Custom". I wanted a PT ever since they came out but refused to pay the "Market Adjustment", and bought a new truck instead. I recently rented one and I was disappointed with the seating. Felt too much like sitting in a Mini-Van. And of course after getting out of my V8 285 hp truck and into the 4 cyl. 150 hp Cruiser I had to keep "kicking it down" to feel like I was moving!
    But Dam they look cool!!
    "http://howell.mountain.net/PTCruiser/PTMain.html" for accessories, etc.

I've had it bookmarked for a long time but haven't loked at it in awhile.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Can't decide what category the PT Cruiser falls under. If you are searching for a new car by category, it's listed as a midsize wagon. When you do a comparison with another model, the PT Cruiser is listed as an SUV.
    OK - this may be dumb, but did you use the power seat adjuster to put your seat all the way down? I'm not quite as tall as you (6'1") but I have plenty of headroom, even w/ the moonroof (which I normally don't like, as they cut into trhe headroom too much).

The raised seating (like a van) is one of the things I like about the PT - good visibility.

txyank1 - I don't blame you for not wanting to pay that much. I don't think any vehicle is worth more than sticker. As much as I like my PT, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get a good deal.
    wandering around car lots and saw one local Dealer has PT's discounted $500 to $600. So I came to Edmunds to check the TMV and was surprised to see they consider it the same as MSRP. They even ADD a few dollars based on color. The other thing I noticed is only about $1200 diff. between Invoice and Retail. That's not much.
    Around here, you can buy a Cruiser for close to invoice. However, they are not offering incentives.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I've seen them for $200 over when they're in stock.

Looks like it's time to tweak the ol' TMV.
    Austin have tons of 'em. Probably why they're discounted.
This discussion has been closed.