Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VII

Comments

• ninja500ninja500 Member Posts: 14
    We'll I knew it didn't make sense that they wouldn't fold flat. After all that would defeat the point of a hatchback, right? I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't have too much time to play with it, so I'll try it tonight. Silver Bullet- I am assuming that the seat hinges could be damaged if you really tried to force the seat backs down without the seat cushion being folded up, although it seems that it would take a whole lot of force to damage them. Thanks for the help guys.
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    The seat back hinges can break without a lot of weight on the seat back if the cushion is not lifted first. There are only two small clips that keep the seatback hinge in place. Similar to the clips used to hold doorpanels in place. A little weight and the assembly comes apart. This problem is only on the left side hinge. The center and right side hinge use a bolt on assembly which is stronger.
    I have been waiting 2-3 weeks for the replacement clips and no word on when they will come in.
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    To all:
    If Ford builds the car without ABS --- can you have it installed later?
    Who does it?
    Is there such a thing as "Aftermarket" ABS?
    Thank you.
    zx3
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    hey torinopaddy,
    i am dying to hear from you how ZX3 handles on autostrada.
    Oops. You haven't got yours yet.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    zx3, I would say "no way!" to aftermarket ABS. The cost of parts and labor to add the wheel speed sensors, control unit and related wiring harness, and tie into the hydraulic circuits would be daunting. Add to that the legal liability issues and the crazy legal climate in this country, and you can see why adding this feature to a car after production isn't likely to happen.
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Just a quick note to those of you who live in colder climates and care about comfort and engine durability...

I live in Mid-Michigan, and swear by the engine block heater option. Through my training in automotive technology, I was astounded at the degree of engine wear that occurs on cold-start in the winter. Our instructor at the time retro-fitted all of his cars and trucks (7) with block heaters.

I did the same once I learned that start-up was easier and warm-up much faster.

The point? If you face cold weather in the winter and have a 120V power cord available overnight, you might consider the additional $25 block heater option... Easy to plug in, and pampers your engine during those cold winter months.
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    I noticed that if the front seats are slid all the way back then the rear seat bottom won't flip forward. I really wish they had made the seat bottom split as well so you can have half of the seat folded flat. Or maybe have a lock out for the backs so they won't fold unless the bottom is
    fliped forward. I can just see someone getting in the car and putting a heavy box on the seat back, without the bottom flipped.
  • ninja500ninja500 Member Posts: 14
    hkoenen2-

How would I know if mine was broken and where is it located on the left side( drive's or passenger side???). I will double check mine tonight to make sure it is ok but I want to make sure what I am looking for. Is this the actual hinge mechanism that the seat back pivots on???
  • teamzx3yellowteamzx3yellow Member Posts: 21
    i have my vin number less than two weeks after i ordered.... what's next? what can i do with my vin?
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    you can register at ownerconnection.com

not a whole lot to do there, but it will get your g-shock on the way to you and I guess you can read some other stuff in there. Last I checked, it was still pretty tough to track your order thu the VIN. Supposedly ford is working on that.
    Got mine the other day
  • torinopaddytorinopaddy Member Posts: 55
    Right Vadp, you got me on that one :-).

Actually I don't really care how it goes on the autostrada (highway) as I hardly ever drive on it and even when I do I find it pretty boring anyway. No, I want to see how the Focus behaves on the twisty mountain roads around here.

Anyway that wasn't the point and you know it.
    Thanks for prompt Reply (its essence: "Install ABS later? Bad idea!").
    That closes the subject.
    zx3
  • zx3cdnzx3cdn Member Posts: 27
    I noticed the rubber strip below the driver's window had moved up a bit at the end.
    Will you describe how to use the "Engine Block Heater"?
    I.e. ... Is there a 115 volt outlet, somewhere on the outside of your Z? Where?
    Do you just plug a "live" 115v extension cord from your house into it, and it starts heating the engine all thru the nite?
    I live in New England ... we get some Zero-degree nites in Jan/Feb.
    A salesman's advice was, "You don't need one, it's just a gimmick".
    (The Z he had in stock, that he was trying to sell me, didn't have one).
    How many amps does the heater suck?
    Thanks for any info.
    zx3
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Gabegarwick, Did I read that right, 39 MPG? Must be nice. Best out of my auto is 30. Oh well, the trade off was still worth it! Nice and smooth and I don't forget to shift into overdrive anymore.

COFFEE MUG: Still haven't received it (Hint-Hint)

Drebe73, Enjoy your machine!
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    zx3,
    Would you like to get into a cold Focus in the morning and have instant heat coming out of the heater on start-up. If you would, the block heater isn't a gimmick. Don't know how hot the heater gets but it warms up the anti-freeze. And yes you have to plug it in.
    Pat
  • jedimaster1jedimaster1 Member Posts: 32
    Hey Gang,

I figured out what was wrong with my passenger door. It wasn't a child-proof door like you thought, Calico. The catch lever inside the door did not release the little bar when the door was opened. Maybe it was stuck, I just moved it back and forth a few times, then tried the door. It opened just fine. I will watch it closely for the next week to make sure it works fine.

Whoever posted the thing about aftermarket ABS being too expensive, I hope you're wrong! That's one option I had to cut out when I bought my ZX3 because I couldn't afford it then. I was planning to get it installed at a later time.

I agree with everyone about the A/C sucking a lot of power from the engine. I found that I accelerated pretty slow when I had my A/C up to 4. Oh well, that's the price you have to pay to keep cool when it's 90+ degrees (I'm in Atlanta, remember).

I'm going to Nashville this weekend, which is about 1200 miles round-trip. This will be the first major road trip where I drive over 500 miles, am looking forward to it. I got my first oil change done on Friday at 3200 miles. I took it to Jiffy Lube to get it done, got the Signature Service Oil Change, 30 bucks. I watched the guys as they did the change, I noticed that one of the attendants spilled a little bit of oil on the engine block when he took the hose out. He started to close the hood, but I asked him to wipe off the excess oil. They will do a good job on your car if you are out there watching them work, I guess it makes them think you are serious about your car.

Anyway, didn't mean to make this a really long post, I just haven't really said anything recently.

HONK IF YOU OWN A ZX3!!!!

Clint
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Our little four cylinder has to do a lot more work with the air on so it's not surprising it will affect the pick up. It works harder.
    I was amused a few weeks ago when that women mentioned she wanted to save gas by not having air installed.
    But, it takes the same amount of power to drive the compressor or to overcome the drag of open windows.
    After driving to Avon, NC from Philly in July,'97 without air in a VW type III fastback, I feel sorry for her.
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    go here to see some cool Focus oictures and lots fo other things too http://members.xoom.com/SubaruRally
  • rubberbanrubberban Member Posts: 37
    i went to my dealer today and they took a look at my broken windshield. the service manager said that it was stress related and i will be getting a new windshield under warranty. the only negative is that my dealership does not do glass replacements and i have to wait 2 weeks for the glass store to get the part.
    i got my watch the other day and i have to say that it is entirely unwearable, the thing is so huge. it's hardly a watch but armor for your wrist.
    i have to thank lmeray287@aol.com for the chrome grill suggestion. i did my grill, the hood and my trunk and it looks sweet, gives the car a more aggressive look and it cost me only 20 bucks.
  • bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    fgaydos has a very good point about rolling down the windows instead of using the AC. By rolling down the windows, you adversely affect your aerodynamics to the point that you'd be better off using the AC.

Still waiting for my tie rod. I can get I strut, steering knuckle, and lower control arm in three weeks when I have to pay for it out of my pocket, but have to wait over 4 weeks when it under warranty. Hmmmmmmm...
  • catmomcatmom Member Posts: 42
    When running the air conditioning, or at least when accelerating with the AC on, would taking it out of overdrive help with the power?
    You say you get 30mpg with Auto? Nice.
    Hmmm, that sounds tempting.
    I've had a stick (Golf GT) for 13+ years. I'm kinda tired of Stick.
    The "shift-gates" wear, and get sloppy, after years of use.
    The results can be .....

You can occasionally, find yourself pulling out , merging with fast traffic, thinking you are in "fast-accelerating" 1st or 2nd gear --- only to find that the worn, sloppy, shift-gate slipped you into 3rd (or whatever). Bad News.
    It's happened sometimes to me.

Mechanic said it's not a quick-fix. He said he'd have to go into the transmission and do some replacing ($$$).

Which leads me to ask, how do you like Auto ?
    Does it accelerate fast enough in "Low"? (or whatever you call it, I'm not very familiar with Automatics).

From your own experiences with Stick & Auto --- what you see as "good points"/"bad points" in each?
    Thanks.
    zx3
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    its been hot+humid in philly this wknd. does any-
    one think that a/c was not icy cold? i didnt get
    that instant cold rush . cool but not real cold.
    catmon-taking it out of o/d will improve pick-up.
    on hwy. above 50 o/d should be fine.believe me,at my age ill trade a little power for comfort anyday.
    to everyone thanks for previous a/c feedback.
    Hey ZX3,
    Seems like I'm one of a few auto guy on this board. Maybe because of my advanced years.:>)
    I have have no problem accelerating at lights or stop signs. In fact it has gotten me into trouble a FEW times and had to make emergency type stops twice. It's real sweet. I hold my own all things being equal.
    Stick is too tiresome in the city. Besides I had that fun with my stick Festiva.
    I had the AC on and had to turn it down from four position as it was too cold. I had the air intake closed and cruising I-95 at 80.
    fgaydos-good point.i have to check if i had air intake closed. by the way were you driving on top
    of cars on i-95 ? everytime im on its a bumper to
    bumper crawl.
    So you had a stick Festiva? Nice car.
    I too have had my "Stick fun". Time to go "decadent", and get Auto, I think.
    So with Auto, you say you can hold your own --- (when you emerge from an exit) and can accelerate fast enough, so you can merge into the hi-speed traffic?
    Good.
    What's your Automatic's best/worst gas mileage (at what average speeds)? What model Focus? Do you have a Z (I mean, a hatchling)?
    What are the "Minus"-es of owning an automatic?
    zx3
    Not counting my milage, too much trouble frankly.
    Yes, I can zip onto the speed lane when entering traffic. You can floor it and the Hatch will knock you head back. By the time you hit the top gear you are really flying.
    I drive from center city Philly to Street road on Sundays when the traffic is sparse.
    As for plus and minus, that's a personal thing. I'm very happy with my Auto.
    Of course Auto uses more gas but it's convenient.
    I make enough money I just don't care about the extra cost.
    Please don't tell me you are talking about that chrome stripping that some people put along the edges of the panels. I think that looks so lame. It makes the car look so cheap. Any time I see a car with that chrome strip outlining the edge of the doors, trunk, and fenders I just have to laugh. Well, I suppose it would be helpful to those people who might have a problem locating their doors or trunk. Otherwise, I'd hate to see a beautiful ZX3 be ruined with that unsightly garbage, it's just slightly worse looking than a ZX3 with pin striping.
    I drove an auto last year for the first time. I had the car for one day, and I hated it. Control of the car's power delivery was down to go and stop. Yes it was easy to drive, but I felt deprived of an element which for me makes driving fun.

ZX3, the gates on your Golf may be shot after 13+ years of enthusiastic shifting, but why should an automatic be any better? Do you really think that the autobox in a ZX3 is going to perform like new after 13 years of driving? You talk of $$$ for a replacement on the golf, what's a new autobox going to cost you? As the parts wear down the power loss in the box is going to go up, causing a decrease in performance and increased fuel costs.

Wear of the gates in a manual box is considerably accelerated by driving around with your hand on the shift. My Dad used to do it all the time. It really annoyed me.

The increase in fuel consumption is due to the power losses along the transmission which mean that the car has to produce more power to make the car perform. This is going to have a far more notable effect than turning on the A/C. The people who are happy with their auto's probably haven't driven the version with manual transmission, or have chosen auto for another reason besides driving pleasure.

There are several reasons why somebody would prefer an autobox on a car, but at this level, performance is not one of them.
    how would curb feelers, front hood bug deflector,
    + side window awnings look? of course it would'nt
    be complete without the chrome look fuel filler door + rally stripes.anyone remember the orange
    arco ball you stick on top of your antenna? thats
    a classy finish to a finely appointed automobile.
    you just have to be seen with one.you just don't
    know what your missing. can't wait to get the
    sun visor tissue holder, suction dash compass +
    memo holder+ the pine tree air freshener to hang
    from my mirror. do you think i should go for the fake lambs wool seat covers?
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    I spoke about this the other day, but I wanted to add on to what everybody's saying. Torinopaddy, I can relate to your experiences, because I lived in Europe for 21 years (Italy and Spain). I learned to drive over there, and I don't remember ever seeing an automatic car; hence my affinity for manual. I feel like you almost have to have a stick in Europe, due to the narrow roads and traffic.

I also want to say how jealous I am of anyone who's getting more than 30 mpg. The best I've gotten is 28! What am I doing wrong? :-)

Last thing: while there is a slight decrease in power with the a/c on, it's nothing compared to my old Tercel. With that car I could either drive, or have the a/c on; the car certainly didn't like both at the same time. Happy motoring!
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    Easy to tell if the hinge fell apart. On the driver side the seat back will be completely loose and no longer attached if the little clips that hold it in place moved or fell off.
    Took me 10 minutes to get the seatback aligned and back into its proper place. If you can lift it all the way up and make the top latch close you are set.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    Yes Pat,
    That was 38 mpg. I had the cruise set for 71mph probably 95% of the trip. Also had the AC on the entire time.
    Suprised me to get mileage that high, I've only got 1000 miles on the car. (I'll have to figure out my in-town mileage...

I too have an automatic ZX3...
    Gabe
    I guess our driving conditions and experiences are truely worlds apart. Cruise control is almost completely useless over here. Very few cars are offered with it even as an option.
  • rlr207rlr207 Member Posts: 11
    Well, my little baby turned 1000 yesterday. I drove from Penn to NC and it was a pleasure. Comfortable seats, air worked fine (if not a little noisy at the highest setting), the ride-to-handling combination is wonderful and gas mileage was great. Who could ask for anything more. I enjoyed the looks I got while passing other cars on I-81.
    About that automatic...I love manuals for about the first 5 minutes. I love the control and the feeling of throwing it back into second, but in the real world, my car is to get me from A to B with as little help from me as possible. I have now learned how to coax the throttle into shifting when I think it should, so I am not at a complete loss for control. Also, I actually think an automatic will get better fuel economy than a manual. I know when I drive my mother's manual contour sport, I get a little rev happy. I think that having a manual makes it easier to rev past the point where an auto would shift, thus lowering gas mileage. It is all about how you drive rather than the transmission.
    On the trip I noticed my car is most happy doing 80 mph. Has anyone else noticed they go much faster than they should without even noticing. I bought a radar detector.
    I stopped by Virginia Tech and saw a little blue hatchling parked at a house. That was my only sighting on the whole trip. It is nice to be unique.
    -ron
    p.s. Sorry if that center section wasn't Zx3 specific.
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    I saw a TV commercial this weekend with 4 yellow Foci in it, but I don't remember the details. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Ford commercial. I'm not sure it they were the ZX3 or sedans or wagons. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I ordered the domelight upgrade the last week of April, and the part was supposed to be in last Wednesday (5/3). I just checked on the order yesterday and it wasn't in yet. The parts person went to great lengths explaining to me the back-order code indicated that the central warehouse in Detroit was out of stock and they were waiting for a more from the parts manufacturer. Maybe we caused a shortage.

--Mike
    Has anyone fitted either of these two bulb upgrades to your ZX3? What do you think? I'm not trying to make people think I have HID lights, I'm just looking for a whiter, more visible night drive (these old eyes need all the help they can get). Comments?
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    zx3beast, you must be old after i read your post on dressing up the hatchling.
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    The best I've gotten is about 28 on a 500 mile trip--all highway, 70+.

Around town it's more like 22-23.

Although I realize I don't have the most fuel efficient driving practices :)
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    How about just classy?

I liek nice, subtle mods. New wheel that aren't all flashy, etc.

Whenever I see a pimped out car, like all the teenagers in Acuras around here, I nearly bust into hysterics.

Lots of tinting, silver tail lights, coffee can mufflers, too-big wheels (which they do't realize makes them slower), The word "ACURA" across the windshield. It all looks silly.

Like I said, I have nothing against making your car unique, but most of it looks silly. I prefer subtle and classy.

Some pimped Neon with an F40 wing pulled up next to my friend and I in his GTI VR6 on the freeway. He wanted to race. That's laughable. In fact, I just pointed and busted into hysterics. He didn't like that much.

But, to each there own, I suppose.
    Ooooh Baby, Now you're talking ZX3beast. Don't forget to add the reverse beep.
  • xquxqu Member Posts: 55
    Hey, rlr207

The blue hatchling you saw at VT is mine!!! There is only one blue Z around here and I'v seen a white and a silver hatch couple of times. The rest of Focus are sedans and wagons.
    Nice to hear from you!
    Man Cef, beast was joking, I believe he was making a reference to my previous post about the chrome grill. How old are you exactly, anyway? Everything you post sounds rather immature to me.
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Did anyone tried to switch to those kevlar breaking pads "green stuff"?
    Can the squeaky sound and dust be eliminated by changing breaking pads?
    kdominczak- The EBC Green brake pads should eliminate virtually all of the visible brake dust, although kevlar pads do emit a small squeak now and then. When they become available, I'm going to install a set, so I'll let everyone know how they do.
  • audiolizardaudiolizard Member Posts: 35
    For everyone criticizing the chrome grill, I ask have you actually seen it? Didn't think so. It's a cheap mod that looks great, is non-damaging, and is easily removable. Kind of like the chrome exhaust tip that everyone loves. You can email lmeray287@aol.com and ask for pictures if you want. If you don't have anything good to say...
  • cahollancahollan Member Posts: 32
    I've had mine on order for 2 weeks, and they keep telling me that it will be in tommorrow. Of course, this is the same dealership that gives me lousy service, so I'm never surprised when it's not here "tommorrow."

I hope it won't be too much longer!
This discussion has been closed.