Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VIII

mznmzn Posts: 727
edited March 11 in Ford
We're still on the list for club status and I'll
keep everyone posted on progress as I know it. In
the meantime, let the adventure continue!

For folks just joining us, you can catch up by
reading Part VII here. In the first post in VII
you'll find a link to VI, and so on. Earlier Parts
are still available in Archives and you will be
taken there automatically by using the link. We
don't want you to miss anything!

carlady/host

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Anyone had a problem with their hatch being difficult to open or jamming, or the "hatch ajar" lamp staying lit after shutting the lid?
  • tickbittytickbitty Posts: 250
    I recall some people with the wagon having some of those problems.
  • IVD will be available in the 2001 Focus models. It is a stabilty control system that works to keep the vehicle from rolling over. There will be a small YAW sensor under the passeneger seat (like in an airplane) that detects when the vehicle approaches enough side motion to roll the vehicle over on its side. The IVD system works with the anti-lock brakes (thus ABS is required) and applies individual brakes necessary to keep all 4 wheel on the ground. This is a big selling point in Europe after the Mercedes Benz roll over problems with the a-class vehicle.
  • tognetertogneter Posts: 245
    I've done a little informal survey around the Seattle area. Over the last week, I've counted 34 Foci, 8 of which are ZX3s. That's around 23%. I asked my dealer when I took delivery, and he guesstimated that they sell about 5 sedans/wagons for every hatch. And hatches seem to be more well accepted here than most places (at least there are a TON of Golf/GTIs, but this town is V-Dub crazy).

Anyway, that's my informal survey. I'll count to a hundred, maybe, and let you know what the final percentage is.

Anybody else?
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Sometimes I think my fiancee and I own the only two ZX3s in Houston - I never see them on the roads, although the sedans are getting to be more commonplace. However, if I had $1 for every chrome-laden SUV or monster 4WD pickup, I'd be shopping for a new Ferrari now! :)
  • tuner1tuner1 Posts: 44
    Ive seen mostly sedans and wagons but just one ZX3 in sandgria red.
  • imsoyboyimsoyboy Posts: 34
    I've only seen three..one of which is mine...Another was a much older man in the same sangria red as me and a white one in the gas station...oh yeah about the fuel indicator...does anyone know how come it takes sooo long for it to show a full tank when filling up. The other day I filled up (was on 1/4 of a tank) and it took about 1/2 hour to show full...
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Posts: 127
    I think the hatch is holding it's own here in Des
    Moines, Iowa.
    I'd say the numbers are pretty equal.
    7 hatches
    5 sedans
    1 wagon
    (Of course, these are just the ones I've seen or had reported to me be friends.)
    Saw an Autumn Orange Sedan yesterday. I really
    like that color. There is a Dodge Neon parked here
    at work that is almost the same color.

thanks silver_bullet for the info on 'backlight',
    Gabe
    Check out the june issue of automobile magazine.I felt the comparison should of been made against the:civic ex,golf 2.0,and the neon with 132hp.Either way our hatchling held it's own!
  • goochzx3goochzx3 Posts: 8
    I go to Rutgers, so my numbers are a little weird.However, in town there are at least three other ZX3s. College students like hatchbacks.

Also, when I went car shopping, the dealer was low on hatchlings, 'cause parents are buying them as "gifts" to their graduating high schoolers. Look around college towns in Sep, ther'll be ZX3s a plenty!
  • rubberbanrubberban Posts: 37
    the june issue of sport compact car has an article on the interactive vehicle dynamics system on euro ford focus. seems like a next generation traction control system. i'm no expert but it's purpose is to keep the car from slipping. it works with both the abs and the traction control system.
  • Hey guys, I've got a limited budget this year so whaddya think I should upgrade first? I'm deciding between 17'' rims and sticky tires ($1200) a quaife limited-slip diff ($1250) or an H&R coil-over kit ($1500). I'm kinda leaning towards the differential, as I'd probably get the best performance gain from that. But then again, the wheels just look so dang good, its hard to resist them. And as for the coil-overs- *drool. They sound like they'd help a bunch with body roll and stability but I'm still hesitant to fool with the suspension. Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Posts: 516
    In a two county area, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus, of NYS, I think there is only one other ZX3 (rainforest green). It could be a rental (of dealer employee's) as I also see it at a dealership quite often. Lot of sedans, and a few wagens. Someone told me that there is also a white Z running around, but I haven't seen it. Anyway, I'm way outnumbered by sedans and wagens. But, I like the attention!
    Pat
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Posts: 516
    focusfanatic,
    Keep it simple. Catback exaust and the chip and air intake! You'll blow their minds.
    Pat
    Go with the 17''rims,I would avoid the diff on a new car.As for the coil-overs they are sweet but consider what you could get for $1500.For ex.[lowering springs,euro shocks,airintake,cat-back exaust and even a superchip]the last 3 mods. can net you 25-30hp and elimanate that 106mph speed gov.!
    exhaust,eliminate.OOPPPPPPPPPPS!I also wanted to add thicker swaybars and adjustable cam.gears.
  • Thanks for the advice guys! This is always the first place I look for info! But I still have a few questions- why should i avoid a limited-slip on a new car? I'd love to get all that power down to the road. And wouldnt an all-in-one suspension kit be better than a pieced together setup? (How would I know all the parts would work together?) I am willing to pay a bit more for long-term reliability and quality. As to the engine mods, I'm not as experienced as all of you guys, so I'm not sure I'd want to fool with that. (But if I did, I'd probably grab some adjustable cam gears and a cat-back, as you guys suggested.) For now, I'll probably just concentrate on handling and save the power issues for next year. I think I'll start with the rims........ then the suspension, then the diff...(uh-oh, I'm getting carried away again!) There goes all my money!
  • hmmmm an extra 25-30hp sounds tasty- dont think I'll be goin 106mph though. lol. thanks again tuner1!
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Posts: 99
    I took the plunge and ordered my ZX3 today. I expect delevery in early to mid July. At least I'm hoping... I went with a third dealer - A big Ford place in Binghamton NY. They matched the $100 over invoice price of the previous dealer, but are much more convienent to get to.

I skipped the lower price offer because I don't have a lot of confidence in that dealer's service department. I figured it was best to support the dealer that's more likely to give me better support.

I stuck with the yellow. I set the retouched photo as my work PC's desktop picture and stared at it all morning. It quickly grew on me.

Even in that form the Z attracted a number of comments from coworkers. What's the real thing going to do?

I went for a drive this afternoon, passed a different dealer, and spotted a white ZX3 on the lot. I immediately stopped and shot some pix with the digicam. I think lighter colors are quite effective on this car.

I was able to modify the color of the white pix a lot better then I could on the silver. I posted three views ofthe car in yellow on a simple web page if anyone wishes to give them a peek. The full size versions look a lot better then the down sampled and compressed versions on the web page. If anyone is interested, I can send out, or post, the bigger versions.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/6732/graphics/yellow.html

Note that the old link I gave yesterday is now dead. I'll keep this one alive until we see some pictures of the real thing.
This discussion has been closed.