Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VIII

Comments

• zx3zx3 Posts: 167
    Wolf, Thanx for the lengthy explanation of "curb", etc.
    In response to your("Does the Gulf shift better, or accelerate faster? Anyone know?")......
    My '87 GT with only 102hp out-accelerated many higher powered cars.
    VW geared it for hi-torque at low rpm's, so you could scoot away at when traffic lite turned green. Of course there was a negative trade-off (less torque available for passing at higher hiway speeds).
    But in my book it was worth it, for it was satisfying to be able to leave the thundering herd behind at the Light, and get into a good position on the heavily-trafficked road.
    My point: the Golf "gearing" might still be set up that way. I hope so.
    As for the "shifting better?" part of your question: I HOPE it's "better". I never liked that long stick in my GT. It made for a "long throw" when shifting. I like short stick, short throw. The z stick is an improvement over the old Golf in that dept.
    Incidentally, my GT was the last GTI with the 8 valver. That same year, the 16 valver came out (so Mktg dropped the letter "I" from my GTI).

Euro Focus's "stiffer suspension" .....
    I agree it really makes car corner nice and flat (like my MGA and GT). Maybe Ford USA will relent and offer it here, at least as an option.

Beast thanks for Replys ("occasional hesitation").
    If you consider it a non-issue, so will I.
    Incidentally, since I talked to you Sun., I checked oil dipstick. Just a tiny, teeny-weeny, smidge over "Full".
    Since my z only has 225mi. on it, I assume the factory did that. Is that level OK in your book?
    zx3
  • wolf1313wolf1313 Posts: 13
    To put you, at ease theres still room for an additional quart or so even if it was overfilled.Also, your seals would blow not your engine! Theres an overflow reservoir anyway. I would relax and not worry about it. As long as it's only one quart over the fill mark, you will be ok. You can always return to the dealer or go to a Quicky Lube and have it drained and refilled.
    With regards to the Gulf, thanks for the response. But I was more curious about the new model as they made some significant changes since you owned yours.The Focus is geared for high speed. Pretty silly if you ask me considering it's designed to be an economic vehicle.
    In first, second and 1/2 way thru third the gearing is a joke! Once Im at about 60MPH the car hauls [non-permissible content removed]! I would prefer that torgue at lower RPMs and lower speed.I can't get out of my own way in the city but once im at highway speed (my car likes it between 75-85MPH )the car flies. It's like I have unlimited torque and balls.It's no wonder Ford has a limiter on the vehicle so you can't punch it past 106 mph!
    By the way, what's up with no redline on the TACH? What's really the point of having one when you don't know what the hell redline is?
    Ford I love you, but charge me a little more for the car and get some of this [non-permissible content removed] right!
  • wolf1313wolf1313 Posts: 13
    BY the way, I have yet to see 'another' ZTS like mine or any other sedan model for that matter in black. I live in Connecticut very close to NY state. I have not seen another and the reason I mention my location is to bring attention to the fact that I live in a metropolitan area.How about any of you guys? Seen any black ZTS's or black sedans in your neck of the woods?
  • fgaydosfgaydos Posts: 319
    Parked behind a black sedan last week. In Philadelphia. Have been seeing lots around in all colors lately, maybe because I'm looking harder.
  • gotnonamegotnoname Posts: 1
    I've seen a black SE sedan in my area, but very very few Foci on the road near me... and I'm in NY, not far from you, Wolf.
  • rvtex1rvtex1 Posts: 23
    I too have noticed the slight hesitation at the 2000-2100 rpm range. Glad to hear others are having the same phenomenon. In my opinion however, I would classify it a very mild hesitation as opposed to a true engine hesitation. At first I thought it was my air conditioner compressor kicking in and out till I noticed it without the ac on. I have put it down to a characteristic of this engine and no longer worry about it. I am rather amazed at how smooth the engine runs at idle speed while stopped at light or stop sign.

I waxed mine the first week I had it with McGuiars Classic Gold paste wax out of the can. I did no other prep than a thorough washing and the infra-red really shines and washes well in this Texas heat. It was amazing how the surface of a new vehicle becomes so much more smooth after waxing even though it was brand new. I had a slight streaking problem that went away after the sun came out. McGuiar's help e-mail said I should not have wetted the applicator but should have been totally dry. That was a new one on me.

First three tank fulls of gas have averaged 25.5-25.9 mpg with air conditioner always on and including lots of rush hour traffic. Not bad for a new engine.
  • rvtex1rvtex1 Posts: 23
    I too have noticed the slight hesitation at the 2000-2100 rpm range. Glad to hear others are having the same phenomenon. In my opinion however, I would classify it a very mild hesitation as opposed to a true engine hesitation. At first I thought it was my air conditioner compressor kicking in and out till I noticed it without the ac on. I have put it down to a characteristic of this engine and no longer worry about it. I am rather amazed at how smooth the engine runs at idle speed while stopped at light or stop sign.

I waxed mine the first week I had it with McGuiars Classic Gold paste wax out of the can. I did no other prep than a thorough washing and the infra-red really shines and washes well in this Texas heat. It was amazing how the surface of a new vehicle becomes so much more smooth after waxing even though it was brand new. I had a slight streaking problem that went away after the sun came out. McGuiar's help e-mail said I should not have wetted the applicator but should have been totally dry. That was a new one on me.

First three tank fulls of gas have averaged 25.5-25.9 mpg with air conditioner always on and including lots of rush hour traffic. Not bad for a new engine.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Posts: 127
    I have an auto ZX3, 1400 miles on it now. I can report that I am very pleased with the performance characteristics of the auto.

Gabe
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Posts: 127
    Hi towcrazy2,
    When you say vent visor, is that the same thing as a wind/rain deflector? (Those plastic shields that cover the top 3 inches of the windows?)
    If so, then yes, I have them installed on my ZX3. The brand I purchased was WeatherTech. Total price including shipping was around $55. I've had them on the car since day one and am very pleased with their performance. Install is a breeze (no pun intended), takes less than 5 minutes and most important to me, no adhesives are used!

Here's a link to WeatherTech's website:
    http://www.macneilauto.com/

link to the page listing the shields for the focus:
    http://www.macneilauto.com/FordCA.htm

Gabe

BTW-(I'm still looking for a cargo liner to fit in the back. Looks like a 30X40 in. rectangle one will do the job.) See one, please let me know.
  • tickbittytickbitty Posts: 250
    I tried to find a fitted cargo liner, but nobody's making them specifically for the ZX3, just for the wagon. I did find a large rubber mat at K-mart that has a large raised lip that holds lots of the crumblies in. It fits just about perfect front to back and leaves maybe 2 inches to either side on the right and left. It was like 15 or 20$ I think. I had kind of hoped to find a fitted one that would runn all the way up when the seats are down, but no luck. A blankie will do.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Yes, streaking and/or clouding will occur if you use a wet applicator while waxing, or even try waxing your car on excessively humid or rainy days - which is most of the time here in south TX :(
    You might want to try a quick detailing mist like Meguiar's no. 34 Final Inspection between washings. Remove serious dust/grit with a California car duster, and then use the Final Inspection per the instructions - wow! Using the Final Inspection after a wash will restore the slickness of your wax, and the depth of color will impress you.
  • tognetertogneter Posts: 245
    I haven't cut out the upshift light yet, although I think I was the first to complain about it on this forum. Someone suggested that this was included to get better MPG ratings...

My roommate has a chip for his VR6 that was made in Canada. It is programmed such that it reads as a VW chip when the service guys hook it up. They have no idea. Does anybody know if there's a Ford chip out there that does this?
    There's a webpage for a Ford dealer in Tom's River, NJ that lists, among other Focus parts, a chip from Superchips. I have no experience with this company's products, but a call to the service department of this dealership might be worthwhile. It seems a little odd that their parts guys would sell you a chip, only to have their service dept. tell you it voids your warranty, so my guess is this chip is okay - at least as far as this dealer is concerned. Remember that dealerships are independent businesses, and are free to work with you or against you on issues such as performance mods and your warranty.
  • emilgolenemilgolen Posts: 2
    I have a ZTS 5 speed and notice the same thing. It's not really terrible just something you notice. It feels like a EGR imbalance or lean out condition. I know the older ZETEC's (1999) had variable exhaust valve timing in place of an EGR valve, the newer ones have an EGR valve. I'm wondering if the tuning is just a bit off. Hopefully a recall will address this.
  • zx3zx3 Posts: 167
    You said:
    "......the Focus is geared for high speed. Pretty
    silly if you ask me considering it's designed to bean economic vehicle. In first, second and 1/2 way thru third the gearing is a joke! Once Im at about 60MPH the car hauls! I prefer that torgue at lower RPMs......"

REPLY:
    "Amen" to that.
    It's in "city / suburban" where I do most driving. It's there --- at those lower speeds that I want, I need, the torque.
    zx3
    Try driving a V-TEC some time. You might as well be driving a Geo at city speeds...
  • drebe73drebe73 Posts: 243
    A couple of strange discoveries in my ZX3.
    The front passanger seatbelt clip (the thing next to the seat that the belt fastens to) has a square piece of velvet stuck to it like a sticker.
    Also, In the hatch, there are two pieces of velcro stapled to the plastic lip that is at the bottom of the hatch near the floor of the trunk. You cant see it unless you deliberatly stick your head in the trunk and look down and back or just run your hand along the edge. I have no idea what they are there for. has anyone else discovered this in their ZX3?
    I think they're to velcro the wheel cover/trunk floor into place.
  • drebe73drebe73 Posts: 243
    Nothing is attached to it though it just the hook side of the velcro.
    The patches of velcro stapled to the rear panel catch the underside of the luggage compartment floor material and hold it smoothly against the panel. The fuzzy gray material is pretty "loopy" all by itself, hence no velcro attached to it. I think the piece of velvet you notice on the seat belt latch is to keep it from rattling when that belt isn't in use.
This discussion has been closed.