Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VIII

Comments

• teamzx3yellowteamzx3yellow Member Posts: 21
    i need to proof read before i post... http://www.autodash.com
  • hugozhugoz Member Posts: 82
    I called the Ford dealer and complained about the 5 quarts of oil (versus the 4.5 quart max) being put into my Orange ZX3 when I got my free 1000 mile service. No problem; the dealer's service director admitted that there were a couple of other owners who had also complained; I went back and they took out the excess oil. Now the oil registers almost right at the halfway point on the dipstick, and what a difference! Maybe it's part psychological, but I can feel the Zetec engine accelerating a lot crisper and cleaner than it did after that free 1000 mile oil change. The moral: don't ever let anyone tell you that an extra one-half quart doesn't matter.

Stereo: Did y'all know that you can turn your stereo on right after you remove your key from the ignition, and that the it automatically is set to a one-hour "turn off" timer? I just discovered that the other day; I used to leave my key in the ignition. Too cool....

Cargo Space: Another thing I discovered that I love about our hatchlings -- I was able to fit not just one, but TWO, twin size mattresses into the cargo space after folding down the rear seats. Is this car incredible or what?
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    Got my mug yesterday, even though I haven't had the recall done yet. The little note that came with the mug was hilarious! I'm so glad my mug will "fashionably fit" into the cupholders. Cause you know, if it doesn't fit fashionably, then I don't want it! Also liked the concern Ford shows for us Focus drivers not "being without your favorite beverage as you jaunt to and from activities in your active lifestyle." Don't get me wrong, I like the mug, I just got a kick out the forced "you WILL have fun in this car" advertising shtick.

Hugoz, the cargo space IS incredible. I moved a couple of months ago, and I did it all with my ZX3 (aside from the big furniture, of course). But I did manage to fit a coffee table, chairs, and a 6-foot stepladder in there. Try that with a sedan!
  • cahollancahollan Member Posts: 32
    What was causing my ZX3 to stall in rush hour traffic and the Service Engine Soon light to come on?

An incorrect air filter installed incorrectly.

Yet again, dealer incompetency has caused my car to malfunction.

I would advise everyone in the southeast to stay away from dealerships with the name "Long-Lewis".

Here is the list of screw-ups they have performed on my car so far:

1) Overfilled the oil
    2) Overfilled Brake Fluid and left cap dangling so fluid spilled all over engine compartment
    3) Lubricated driver's window track to aleviate squeeking, but reinstalled interior panel minus 3 screws and a bolt
    4) Failed to rotate tires at 6,000 mile service, even though it was listed as performed work
    5) Upon rotating tires, failed to install wheelcover centers correctly, causing 2 of 4 to come off in traffic.
    6) Ordered new wheelcover centers and broke them trying to install them.
    7)Installed improper air filter and improperly installed improper air filter. Also left air cleaner box improperly fitted, causing vacuum leak.

Don't be fooled by dealerships claiming their dealership is #1 in customer satisfaction. I found a dealership who makes no such claims is far superior, less busy, and much friendlier.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    You've got me cringing just reading your post. I think I'll have to oversee when I take my zx3 in for service. I still have a little while to overcome the jitters you've given me. Only got 1200 miles on it so far.

Gabe
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    It is my belief that the color of your car is not a safety issue. People who are alert and aware of their surroundings will see you no matter the color. On the other hand... there are a lot of people (more everyday) who don't pay attention. [This type of person scares me] These, I think, are most likely the ones who will end up hitting you, pulling out in front of you, or causing accidents and leaving them behind never realizing the effects of their actions. (I've seen it happen too many times to count).

Sorry, got a little long winded there.
    Choose the color you like best. Drive with your headlights on if it makes you feel better. (I often do when it's overcast. silver car...)

Closing statement/cliche: As soon as you make it idiot proof, someone will build a better idiot.

Gabe
  • imsoyboyimsoyboy Member Posts: 34
    On the way home last night, spotted a Rainforest Green ZX3 parked in customer service area of the local BMW Dealership ...wondering if he/she was picking up the exhaust tip...That's four for me now. Seen a lot of Sedans, couple of wagons..we're still a unique breed. Also saw a PT Cruiser up close last night in the train station parking lot...another unique car.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Don't misunderstand, I'm sure there are lots of good Ford dealers techs out there, but it is stories like the above that have led me to perform all routine service work on my cars. I know it is done correctly, and it gets done without inconveniencing me. Oil and filter changes, tire rotation, lubrication, and fluid checking/ topping off are very basic operations well within the capability of most intelligent and involved owners. Keep all your receipts for parts and supplies, document dates and mileage when the work is performed, and your warranty will stay in effect as well. The law explicitly states that dealer maintenance is NOT required to keep a manufacturer's warranty in force - don't let them BS you.
  • mac54mac54 Member Posts: 22
    Read your post at 132. Sounds like vocus is starting to get to you. Although he seems to be easing up a bit now, I think another post had it right. Just ignore him; when he doesn't get recognized he'll go away.
    Some people must just be too jealous of us Focus folks (even us sedan owners!) to let us enjoy our cars.
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    Twilightbliss, I need some of your moxie! When I brought my ZX3 in for its first oil change, I didn't say a thing about possible overfilling. I felt they wouldn't take me seriously (being a woman), and I didn't know how to say anything without seeming "rude." This lack of gumption is probably why I ended up paying full MSRP for my car, instead of trying to get it close to invoice. I know, I know, I need to be more agressive. But good for you; you give me inspiration!
  • ninja500ninja500 Member Posts: 14
    I just had my first service done about a week ago on my Black ZX3. To all of you who have had the oil overfilled I am sure you had an oil smell coming from the car as well? I have had some oil smell for since I had the service done. I checked the oil level and it look like it was over the full mark but that was when the engine was hot. I let it cool for a while and it looked closer to the full mark. I am going to check it completely cold today to see where it is. Is it just me or does it seem like the oil dipstick is not terribly accurate. It seems like it just doesn't give a very accurate oil level. The oil smell has gotten much better in the 6 days since the service. What do you all think of the likelyhood that it was overfilled? Thanks.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    Haha! Yes, clever of you to post to me here, in the forum which he doesn't seem to have discovered. He certainly loves his own car, but was cluttering up that whole new section of the forum with his annoying bravado. It was getting a little much!

I'm getting scared to get my oil changed! Local dealer is known to be pretty good though.
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    zx3beast writes:
    > if one drives defensively + intelligently it
    > doesn't matter what color your car is.

If you are surrounded by idiots and morons, it doens't matter what color your car is, either.

That's not intended as a slam, zx3beast. Your statement just inspired me to counterpoint it. IMO both statements hold true.

If I find that I'm noticing lots of crazy traffic, idiots blasting through red lights and passing everything in sight, behavior I call "full-moon driving behavior", I'll turn ON my headlights. Just that extra ounce of prevention, even over and above relying on DRLs. IMO, idiots will continue to drive like idiots until the cops pull them over or they hit something. Lots of times they'll continue to drive like idiots even after the cops pull them over. Since in my experience, there's almost never a cop around when you need one, I do what I can to assure they hit something besides me.

I'll also plan to run with my headlights on on holidays like Memorial day weekend, 4th of July, Labor day weekend, Thanksgiving, et cetera, when it's known there are large numbers of accidents and/or drunks on the road.

--Mike
    "The life you save may be your own" version.
  • hugozhugoz Member Posts: 82
    Ninja500: I think the dipstick is actually pretty accurate; I checked mine at least a dozen times, at different intervals, after my free 1000 mile service, and each time the oil level was at the same place on the stick (about a quarter of an inch above MAX). I didn't smell the oil, but it might be that they spilled some within your engine compartment. I know I wiped off oil that they had spilled on the cylinder head cover. The main problem I had noticed with the excess oil was that it seemed to dampen the crispness of the acceleration. [Thank god it came back after they removed the excess!]

Skater4: Thanks. I think not only the cargo volume, but the width of the opening to the cargo area itself (thanks to the location of the tail lights), is one of those things you can't fully appreciate till you have to haul something. Definitely a strong selling point for our cars.
  • jamers85jamers85 Member Posts: 100
    someone have posted this before but now i can't find the post. Anyway, i'm having the same problem.
    after filling up the tank the gas indicator needle didn't even move. so i did the gauge test..and all the gauge needles are working fine.
    i went to fill it again just to make sure i got the fuel i paid for...after 1 dollar of fuel my tank was filled. The next morning when i started my car the fuel needle was on empty and the fuel indicator light was lit. I got worried i thought maybe someone stole my gas since we don't have a lock on it. So i immediately went to get gas again...guess what after 2 dollars my tank was full....ahhhh. it happened to me again last nite...after filling my gas the needle got stock on the quarter mark until i got to my destination. then the needle went to full when I started the engine again. ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?
    Hugoz-I haven't noticed any change in accelleration or performance. Gas mileage hasn't changed. Have you checked your oil when the cars is hot, warm or cold?? I think that may be affecting the dipstick readings.
    Sounds like it is time for a replacement sending unit or replacement gauge (or instrument cluster control unit). This is one of those things the dealer will have to troubleshoot and repair for you. Intermittent problems are a trick to diagnose, but this one shouldn't be too tough to pin down.
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    I took my car for an oil change at a shop i've gone to a couple of times. Since it was my first time getting my zx3's oil changed there, i just told the guy to put in 4 quarts max. He asked if they had overfilled last time and i told him no but I've heard other people with the same car having their oil overfilled. Just make the service guy aware of the issue and i'm sure you won't have the problem.
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    Togneter.......
    What you say sounds logical ("color not that big a safety issue"). I was hoping someone would say that. thanks.
    zx3
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Is that what we should ask for? I've seen 4 and 4.5 on these posts. I guess if you get 4, you can always add as you need...

Are they trying to put in 5?
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Had that problem one time after a fill up. Turned off engine and restarted engine and it went away. Must be something to do with low gas sensor.

Pat
    Manual says 4 1/2 quarts with filter. Not 4 quarts. Maybe if you didn't change filter it would be 4 quarts. I never put on dirty socks after taking a bath and my ZX3 always gets a new filter when it gets clean oil.

Pat
    Calicol: thanks for info, that the sunroof's steel framing "strengthens the car", rather than weakening it.

Also, I addd... it's "free air-conditioning" (sorta). I like that. zx3
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Thanks...
    Callohan and everybody else,
    When you get questionairre for ford concerning dealer service. Fill it out just like you told us. These really count when returned to the dealership.

PLUS, if your happy with your dealership, let them know and let us guys know too! The best advertising is word of mouth!

I know, its off topic. But.

Pat
  • tomp8tomp8 Member Posts: 23
    I have noticed that the lower plastic molding on the lower rear wheel (driver's side) is cracked. It is visible from the outside of the car about an inch away from the screw secured to the inside of the wheel well.

Also, I hear a squeak each time I release the brake pedal. Sounds like the noise is comming from outside the car.

Anybody think it will be covered under waranty? My ZX3 is less than 2 months old, less than 2000 miles.

[I saw a yellow ZX3 today. It looks great in that colour (IMO). I almost purchased a MalibueBlue car but turned it down because the colour wasn't for me. However, I could see myself in the Yellow... but still, I love my Green!]
    Jamers85...I origianlly posted the Gas gauge problem...but if I turn the car off and back on it shows full. If i don't turn the car off it takes about 1/2 hour to show a true reading. So I turn the car off when I fill up now...I know I should do that anyway but...
    This topic has been explored quite a bit, but I think it bears repeating. If you are contemplating aftermarket wheels for your Focus, stick with a REPUTABLE supplier like the Tire Rack. Sure, their choices are limited right now, but that's because they only sell wheels of high quality that have the correct offset and are hub-centric. Our cars have a very unusual bolt pattern and offset, and it may be some time before manufacturers tool up some neat designs for us. Don't be tempted to slap on some poorly made, "almost correct" wheels just because the price is right and you can have them tomorrow. Example: OZ (a very good manufacturer) had a fitment for the ZX3 that the Tire Rack discontinued after their testing showed it really did not fit the car correctly. Don't give up your factory alloys for aftermarket junk - wheels are a safety item, like brakes... just ask a products liability lawyer :-(
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    I still don't quite understand how sunroof's steel framing "strengthens the car".
    It adds weight for sure.
    I agree that simply cutting a hole in the roof's sheet metal woudn't make a difference in the component's strength.
    Comments?
    When I was in for my first service last week I asked the service advisor regaring the oil filter since I have read that there is something unique to the motorcraft filter that is used in the Zetec. She said that they have had a number of Foci towed, yes towed in only to find that the wrong filter was put on by an independent shop. The cars wouldn't even start in some cases. This is just what I was told so I don't have any first hand experience but I thought it was interesting anyway.
  • jamers85jamers85 Member Posts: 100
    Thanx for the respond regarding the gas gauge...i'll give it more time...if this thing hits me again...i'm taking my baby for a check up.
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    I'm saying 4 quarts to be on the safe side. I could always add more myself. If the manual said 4.5, i doubt dealers are putting in 5 quarts. My filter's always changed the same time as my oil. But the oil never drains completely especially in a shop where they're not gonna leave it hanging for a long time.
    I think i should check my oil level later.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, post #165 above is hidden because the link it contains skews our screen size. To read it, just click on "hidden post." Thanks.

carlady/host
    Boy oh boy, a ford focus zx3 stainless steel coffee mug would be real fashionable in my coffee mug holder. And to think ford didn't even have to send me a recall notice. Found out about recall right here in the townhall. Hint, hint; is anybody at ford corp hqs reading this? Just think of the money I saved you.
    Gabe, you really cracked me up with:
    ".....As soon as you make your Z car Idiot-Proof, they'll design a Better Idiot".
    I'm still laughing......
    zx3
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    I think I remember some one mentioning this a while back but has anyone noticed a rattling sound coming from the rear left side (passanger side)?
    I just noticed the sound in my car, today.
    drebe73,
    That was in the Automobile Magazine Review I think. They said it finally went away on its own. Plus there have been post here about noise from the fender wells.

Hows your ride doing? Hope your enjoying it.

Pat
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    ive probably had my zx3 loner than most here. dec= deer... jan 16,00. anyway, i posted a long time ago about my free 1st oil/filter change @ my dealer. well they over-filled my z-baby. put in 5 qts or thereabouts. i had a terrible stench of burnt oil esp. with the defrost running. well i checked it and it was 3/4qt overfilled. it has to go somewhere. i drained the excess and in 5-6 hundred miles no prob...no smell. dealerships and major shops do not use oil in quart bottles they use a huge tank with a crank on it and pump the oil into a 'jug' usually 5 qts plus... it is highly inaccurate. i am changing my own oil from here on and yes i am using the motorcraft filter as it retains oil in order to make it directly available to the z-baby.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    sorry was in a hurry....spelling etc... love the zx3!!!!
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Vadp....
    Strictly speaking, a hole cut in a Z's roof (to make an opening for a sunroof) WEAKENS the roof, thus weakens the car body.

If a "steel frame" is put around the hole (that was cut in roof) it will now RE-STRENGTHEN the roof .... thus strengthen the car body (which is all ONE piece).
    I think this is what Calico meant when she said a "sunroof's steel frame, strengthens the car".
    (Comments, Calico)?

Note: when a car body (like Z hatchling body) is made of one piece of steel, it's called "Unibody construction". ("Uni" is Latin for "One").
    Please pardon the long-winded reply.
    zx3
  • torinopaddytorinopaddy Member Posts: 55
    The original (and still the best) version by:

Rich Cook:
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Ho hum, thoughts on what you guys have been talking about.
    Colour protection and DRLs. I can see a case for DRLs but colour..I don't agree that the difference is significant. Once I almost pulled into the path of a truck because I didn't see him the first time I looked (I always check the lane at least twice). I don't think it would have mattered what colour the truck was.

On another matter, VW have an excellent reputation on this side of the pond, which is reflected in resale values of their products.
    As regards the Golf GTi, here we have the Seat Leon (another VW product) with the 180hp variant of the Golf's 1.8L turbo engine and a six-speed box, which has a MRSP of $17,670 dollars here in Italy.

Maybe I should have ordered one of them, as I still haven't got my Focus. The car has been recalled. I got a call from the dealer the other day to say that the recall was for the substitution of the servo for the brakes, and it would be 15-20 days before they could deliver the car. Just my luck. Oh well, at least they caught the problem before I found out the hard way. Either that or they sold my car to a cash buyer and are waiting on delivery of another.
    A couple of posts back I mentioned rattling coming from the back of the car near the rear seatbelt area..It's driving my husband crazy, I just turn the radio up but anyway I'm taking the car in on Monday just to see if they can do anything about it..probably not but we'll see. The thing that gets me is that it first was only on the driver side now it's both sides. This will be my first encounter with the service "team" at my dealer. I'll let you know what happens. Good Night all.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Now that we are nearing the end of the model year, it will be interesting to see what the resale value is of our '3s.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Anyone in the Philly area install a sunroof?
    Looking for a reliable installer.

Also, touched up the sideswipe and it looks pretty awful.Guess I'll take it to the auto body place to get a quote.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    fgaydos-check-out www.hollandia.com
    drebe73-well noise-did it happen during or after
    a rain? let me know?
    which is better or worse? a complete idiot or a
    total idiot. keeping in mind i may be speaking from experience here.
  • calico1calico1 Member Posts: 52
    Yes, zx-3, that's what I meant about the sunroof and the steel. Thanks for the clarification, though. You're right, it wasn't obvious from what I said.
    Calico
    emmanuelchoke-do you really care what others think
    about what car you drive?what lack of respect are
    you referring to? it sounds like you are equating
    self-worth with the size of tires+shape of vehicle.
    the only disdain ive seen mentioned(myself included) i have posted my share, is when someone
    does a cheesy mod.then again its nobodys business but theirs.the z-is not even in the same class as a festiva. at one time also owned a festiva-it filled my need at the time quite admirably.the ony thing this car provokes is goodwill.hope to see you aboard.
This discussion has been closed.