Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eagle Talon - Need Advice

Comments

• rmtraderrmtrader Posts: 30
    Tracy / Amy,

I had a similar problem with my 1991 Talon several years ago and three separate dealerships could not determine what was wrong. The fourth did, however. The oxygen sensor needed replacing. Why diagnostic tests could not determine the problem initially is beyond me. Hope this helps both of you.

-Dave
  • alkdarfalkdarf Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 1995 TSi AWD with 78000 Km on it. It stayed in for the first two winters, has been oil treated so there is no rust on there. The brakes were just changed and there is a probably transferrable extended warraty that goes all the way to Feb 2003. The guy is asking 13500$ CAN.

Does this look like a deal or am I getting [non-permissible content removed]-raped by a Gorilla? What kind of maintenance cost am I looking at?

Thanx a bunch!
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    But I'll gladly take getting ripped off on a car over a gorilla on my back anyday!!!
    Lets see here...thats about $9000 US (I would think) and roughly 50k miles I would say.
    I just checked edmunds here and if the cars fully loaded and in tip top condition. The "dealer" retail is about $9000.

"Private" party price is around $7500.

Look like a deal...Nope.
    Especially since the expensive 60k mile service is coming up.

But I'm also not sure if these prices mean anything in Canada.
  • 4g63bt4g63bt Posts: 1
    These cars are generally refered as DSMs (Diamond Star Motors) a join venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. There is a huge internet club for these cars at "www.dsm.org" it has more information about these cars than even Mitsubishi do because for the last 10 years at least 6,000 memebers/owners pooled their knowledge and experience together to help create one of the most comprehensive technical websites for any vehicle on the internet. It teaches anything from how to keep it run good to how to make it a 500hp Dodge Viper killer. These cars are not perfect and has a rather negative reputation for reliability due to a very sophisticated design of the turbocharged engine and AWD. However, almost all possible problems of these cars have been addressed in the website and fixes available so do not be afraid of owning a turbo DSM. The best attributes of these cars and the reason of such a huge cult following around the nation was its extremely strong engine. The 2.0 turbo 4G63 enine was developed in the 80s to compete in Group B rally (often producing excess of 600hp) and later adopted in DSMs in relatively original configuration, so it is very easy to increase the horsepower (up to 450hp for stock internals) on these cars just by adding more turbo boost and fuel along without worrying about engine falling apart, and a rally inspired AWD will be able to apply all that power on the ground. Power and traction are the two most valuable elememts in drag racing and DSMs can really dominate, able to run 12s and 11s with any tire and stock body, chasis and drivetrain. In fact Mitsubishi is still using this engine in their WRC rally competing Lancer Evolutions and has won several championships (97?-98-99) As someone memtioned, given proper care, a DSM will last a long time, my own 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (turbo/AWD) has 120,000 miles and is still running with original headgasket, turbo, transmission and is only on its 2nd clutch despite generating over 300HP and runs low 13s at my local track. If you treat ur DSM like your baby, it will perform like a dream, in my case kickin Mustangs and Porsche's butt with my $5,000 car. But if treat a DSM like a beater than it will give you nightmares because these cars are very complex even by today's standard and anything can go wrong if you neglect on maintainence.
    Well said..I'll glady take a DSM over most sport coupes on the market today, because of the reasons you described.
  • fb4fb4 Posts: 4
    I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with very low miles-- 70,000. I have a had a few problems, not unexpected in an 11 year old car, but one persistent probelm has been that the car "hesitates" or "stutters" at higher RPMs. This is more noticeable at 3500 or higher RPM. I don't know how much it happens in higher gears, b/c I would have to be going too fast, but I notice it more when I am accelerating harder. I was also told by a garage that my transfer case needs to be checked out. They referred me to a transmission shop. I am a bit suspicious of going to transmission shops, so any advice on these problems would be appreciated. This stuttering problem has been around for almost two years. Could they be related? I love the car and have owned it since new. Great year round. The air conditioning has required some service, and it seems to go through brakes and tires rapidly, even though I do not drive it hard. But it has been serving me well. Thanks for any help that anyone has!
    Try having a full tune-up done first. Make sure to have the wires replaced. These turbo motors have a tendency to chew up wires. With all the heat they generate and the way the wires lay against the valve cover..its not surprising IMO.
  • fb4fb4 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information.

The last time I believe I replaced my plugs was around 30,000 miles, quite some time ago. At that time, I used platinum plugs and replaced the wires. I was having an undiagnosed problem at that time, too, which turned out to be the wires. Also tried the fule and air filters at that time. I had the timing belt replaced about a year ago, along with the fuel filter and air filter again. The problem was happening before and after that.

I did take the car to a transmission shop and the man did not put it on a lift, but took it for a ride and did not think anything indicated a transmission problem. He said the transfer case would sound loud if on a lift. Did not think I needed to get into taking the transmission apart.

I do not know when the last time the distributor cap and rotor were replaced. Or if they were at all. In fact, I do not think they were. I have had to replace the tires, brake rotors, and pads a few times. Even though I don't drive hard, the car goes through them quick. Also had to replace A/C parts.

As I said, I enjoy driving it and it has been a good car for over 11 years. The other cars I am considering in its place are the Audi S4 or A6 2.7T (seen some for good prices).

I have been paying more attention to this stuttering/hesitation lately. It happens at varying engine speeds. For example, this morning I noticed it at about 3000 RPM. It does not happen if the car is in neutral. The boost gauge shows the turbo building pressure. Should I have the fuel pressure measured? It happens more when I am accelerating hard. But, if I let up as it starts and shift, I can usually accelerate more.

Thanks again. If you have more suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I'll keep you all filled in!
  • hunter48hunter48 Posts: 30
    My son has a 92 eagle talon turbo all wheel drive the car keeps getting a code 44 which could be a bad ignition coil we replaced one of the coils and replaced the power transtor and the problem still there. So we played with the coil we took off and switch it with the other one and it still gives us a code 44 had it to two dealers and they don't have a answer. has anyone out there had this problem?
  • terabyteterabyte Posts: 1
    I'm going to buy a 96 Talon tommarow, has clean title, 58K miles, and the price is about 6 thousand what do you guys think? Please email me at terabyte@thepentagon.com
    *EDIT*
    BTW it's a base model, new tires, great condition.
  • roncdroncd Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 eagle talon TSi but its not awd i bought it and it had no problems i have had it for a few months now and i put on a custom muffler and my car began to blow black smoke out of the muffler i dont know if its caused from the muffler being put on but i do know that the car is runnng very rich i have had 200 dollars worth of work done on it and nobody can seem to find out whats wrong with it i also am having a surging problem fb4 its terrible i also had a full tune up and nothing has changed both of these problems started around the same time but around a month after the muffler was put on if anybody can help me please let me know asap its driving me crazy email me at RND19@angelfire.com or respond here thank you so much
  • goose12goose12 Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 1995 TSi 16V DOC Turbo with 99,000 miles, P/W, P/L, Moon Roof or Sunroof (not too sure which), 5spd Manual Tranny. I was wanting to know if i was getting ripped off by the price or if it would be a good deal. The price they are asking is $6,490 American dollars. And if anything does go wrong with the car how expensive would it be to repair the car beings it a turbo? Thank you for time and concern
  • jabildajabilda Posts: 47
    the owner(s) of the car. The turbo in that car requires that you idle for approx. 1 min. when you stop (especially after highway driving) to let oil flow into the turbo. Most people will not do this (busy American lifestyles). However, I did (1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo) and the turbo never went bad (traded it in w/ 130K on odometer). Since this was the first model year, it may have had some of those great '1st year American car issues' even though it had mitsubishi parts throughout. The biggest problems my car had were transmission. I think one of the shift forks went bad (hard to shift into first when cold) and the rear main seal was leaking (dealer told me when I went back for my first service visit). However, when I traded it in, it was nice and warm. :)

With that said, it never left me on the side of the road. It was a neat car with plenty of high-rev power (would surprise a lot of people with it).
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    and traded in for my 00 Subaru Outback. Was very quick. But always had those little annoyances...like a ticking sound from the rear hatch...never could get it fixed.

I caution... parts can be VERY expensive. I had a problem with my car stalling at idle. over $800 later, they replaced one very small part relating to the fuel system (so long ago, don't recall specifics).

From day one, always had a problem with the car hesitating in cold whether. It did not happen frequently but enough to annoy me. Dealer never solved it.

Caution....if you have to get brakes/rotors replaced, use OEM. Many complaints about after-market making tons of noise and wearing prematurely. (again, very expensive parts).

Would I buy another if I had the choice? No. I would go with a more reliable vehicle.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    The point about the turbo is correct. Let car idle for at least 1 min after highway speeds. Mine had 105 K miles and the turbo was fine when I traded it in. (Clutch was nearly shot though!!)
  • I'm looking at buying an Eagle Talon TSI AWD between the years of 1990 and 1995, but I've herd that they often have problems with their turbo's. Is this true? And what other cars might there be out there around the same price and horse power as an Eagle Talon TSI AWD?
  • I am looking for a 120 to 150 amp alternator to run various electronics such as; stereo, amp, power inverter, etc... Any help with inquiries can be helpful. Thanks for looking
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    If you don't get a response here soon, you should also post (copy/paste) your message on our Aftermarket & Accessories board. Look for direct access to that board in the pull down menu on the upper/left side. Also, if you can't find an appropriate discussion over there, feel free to start up a new one.... Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • I am looking for my first car and have narrowed it down to two cars. A 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse or a 95 Eagle Talon Turbo. I checked the specs for each car and they are almost identicle. (FWD Talon is lighter than Eclipse and AWD Talon is heavier) The Eclipse and Talon have the same amount of torque; however, the talon has
    205ft-lbs @ 3000rpm wheras the Eclipse has
    205ft-lbs @ 6000rpm. I was wondering what difference in performance that would make. I also notcied that the Eclipse costs a considerable amount more than the Talon and I was curious as to why? Also, If the Talon is recommended I was wondering what benefits I would receive from getting AWD. The AWD weighs alot more so I was leaning more towards the FWD unless there is a significant benefit in performance from the AWD. I plan to "sup-up" my car and am interested in performance as well as price, more money left in the pocket to enhance the visual aspect of the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Terry
  • I need some help from some people who know what theyre talking about, i am days away from purchasing a 93 Eagle Talon, its exterior and interior are in mint condition, theres 106k on it and the woman who owns it now says she does regular maintinence on it and she has never had a problem with the car for the last 4 years shes had it, shes selling it to me for $2000 because thats how much she needs for the new trucks down payment that she wants... this is going to be my first car and i just wanna make sure that im doing the right thing and im not getting ripped off... THANKS
    Did you check with Edmunds' Used Vehicle appraiser to see what a 93 Talon is selling for in your area?

Does your seller have records to document the maintenance she's done?
    Also, considering this vehicle is almost 10 years old with 106k miles, I strongly advise you pay a mechanic to thoroughly check out the vehicle prior to purchase. You can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see what kind of information (Recalls/Technical Service Bulletins) is available.

Btw, put the words "eagle talon" into the Board search (upper/left) to find other related Talon discussions throughout Town Hall. Many of them are archived, but you may find some helpful information just by reading through the messages. Others here may have more to add. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • sarah25sarah25 Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 98 eagle talon,it does NOT have a turbo engine. I am not sure if it was an ESI, but, I think it was. It has 41,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking about $9500 for it. Please advise me to whether this is a about accurate for the price and if the '98 models are good cars, if anyone has had problems, etc. Thank You!!!
  • bpm3355bpm3355 Posts: 1
    i am looking at a 94 tsi awd with 73k. it is in almost perfect shape with flawless tan leather. no mods, new manual trans., new timing belt. he wants $5200. loan value is $3100, which seemed low. my friend had a 91 and loved it. i think they are cool, fast cars for the money, yet i have heard many complaints on the message board.
    what do you guys think? bpm3355@ksu.edu

thanks
    "loan value is $3100, which seemed low"

I believe "loan value" is based on approximately 90% of the market value. At least from what I recall. Have you compared the pricing in Edmunds' True Market Value Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average cost in your area. Others here may have more to add.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • We just bought my son a 1993 Turbo Talon for $2750 from a private seller. We just had $600 worth or repairs done on it>I'm not sure exactly what was done,,something to do with wheels fallin off if not done. Made awful noise like a 747 jet taking off. Thats fixed and that noise is gone and car runs good EXCEPT, there is new noise when backing up or turning,,,could it be the belts. It's pretty loud and a worrisome noise. Also had the oil changed not long ago and dip stick says no oil,,,filled it up again and there it needs oil again. There is no smoke, blue or any other color coming from car but tail pipe is black. Where might oil be going...no puddles either.
  • I am the original owner of a 1990 Eagle Talon awd Turbo with 57800 original miles. I need a larger suv because of family but it pains me to sell it . The prices being offered are so low compared to the way it runs. Its always been a great car. Anybody interested, if not it will force me to put it on ebay! To those owners out there make sure you change the timing belt this is one problem people have had with this car.
  • I want to get an opinion from you guys..I'm thinking to get a 1995 Eagle Talon with 180K is it to many miles??? what problem can occur?? I'm thinking to used this car only for 1 year or 10 K and sell it back...also the guy want it for 2k obo I know if it's a honda or toyota should be fine...
    please e-mail me at b23vd@yahoo.com
    1995 Eagle Talon with 180K

My best advice...Take the car to a reputable shop and spend the 60-80 bucks to have it inspected. After he gives you a 5 page report on all the work the car needs...offer the seller a 40 of his choice for the car :)

In all seriousness...there are many things to watch out for with a high mileage talon of any year.
    I dont even have the energy to list everything I know.
  • keyshawn18keyshawn18 Posts: 1
    Hello--

I am thinking about buying a 94 Talon TSI, auto, with 140K, the price is right at 2500 from a private owner.
    The guy is the 2nd owner, he has all records and receipts where maintainance has been done (nothing major) and the turbocharger and trans are stock, he even has the receipts of the oil changes every 3K!
    I currently am selling a 94 toyota paseo with 120K, 5spd, etc.
    I plan to keep the talon for about a year maybe 20K miles, until I can afford something new.
    I wanted the talon because it would be fun and it has power options that might yota doesn't have, plus it always helps to make $1k off a car you are selling to use other places!
    I guess what I want to know is, do you think this will be a maint. nightmare or will I be okay for a year, if I keep up on the oil changes, etc.?
    I wanted a 5spd, just can't find one and time is running out.
    Everyone's opinion will be appreciated! Thanks!
    Please respond ASAP, I am going to look at the Talon tonight, what should I expect, what should I look for?
    What is the reliability of this vehicle, since I don't have alot of money to pour into a car?
This discussion has been closed.