Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eagle Talon - Need Advice

Comments

• I'm looking at a '95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD with 120,000 actual miles. However, the engine and turbo were rebuilt at 80k miles. It is being sold for $6200 obo and I would like some other opinions as to whether or not this is a good buy or should I stay away from a Talon with that many miles. Thanks.
  • I have a 91 Talon front wheel drive on turbot It has a terrible surging problem and no body can figure out what is wrong. When it is in park and running it reeves up and down all by it self. Also when I am driving it at slower speeds it does it while driving jerks you back and forth, and puts alot of pressure on the brakes(kind like I still have my foot on the gas). We have had a diagnostic check on it but they can't find the problem. Have you ever heard of something like this going wrong? And what do you think I should try?? It runs perfect except for that problem and I would like to get it fixed since I got the car pretty cheap but don't have the money for a bunch of tests done that won't fix the problem. If you have any advice I could really use it. Thanks Tracy,
  • amc12amc12 Posts: 1
    Tracy,

I have a 92 Talon and it recently started doing the *EXACT* same thing you describe - reving up and down in park, etc....I have tried explaining this to people and no one here knows either! Please let me know if you find out anything and I will do the same!!

You can email me directly too at 'amc12@duke.edu'

Thanks,
    Amy
  • ok im looking for a second car to have fun w/in the summer. currently i have my eye on a 94 eagle talon, 4 cyl, 5 spd i dont know much about them could someone please email me at fiestybrunette00@aol.com to let me know info such as durability, engine, cost of parts such as a basic tune up, brakes, clutch replacement, and how easy it is to get to your basic equipment under the hood (such as changing your own oil, tune up etc.) thanks!
  • I'm looking for a used eclipse/talon car. Is 1993 eagle talon exactly same as eclipse for that year? The car I am getting is 1.8 lt. base model(92 bhp). It has done 106k miles. Would it be wiser to buy a talon which has already done so many miles?
    Also how about the reliability of this car?
    The one I drove seems to be in a pretty good shape but only problem I've noticed is that the car doesn't have a PICK-UP (as Eclipses are supposed to have.)
    What's the price that I may expect to pay for 1990-1994 eclipse/talon which has done 90-110k miles?
    Thanks
  • wat32wat32 Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 Talon TSI AWD. I've enjoyed driving this car but today I've seriously begun to regret choosing it. It sure was fun when it was all shiny black and new. However shortly after getting it I started to have trouble with the clutch. It was an odd problem, I found that when I was turning left and attempting to shift there was no resistance on the clutch peddel, the shifter wouldn't move out of gear and if I took my foot off the clutch it remained stuck to the floor. It didn't happen every time but it got so that I could almost predict the corners on my way home from work where it would happen. I took the car into the dealership at least 4 times but to no avail. They changed the spring behind the clutch several times and this made no difference what so ever. Finally the disassembled the clutch, said they couldn't see anything and reassembled it. After this the problem seemed to disappear however the clutch still felt "funny" at times. I should mention that on my way home after that work the clutch began to slip more and more till I couldn't drive the car. I had to get it towed back to the dealer to have it re-adjusted!

Later I noticed that when the car was idling, the oil pressure began dropping to the bottom of the safe operating range. Immediately I took the car in. The dealer replaced the sensor twice and the gauge once to no effect. Finally the removed the oil pan to discover wear on the crank shaft and the main bearing failing. This was at 53,000 km (~33,000 miles). 4 weeks and one new crank later I finally got my car back. I drove 1 block and turnd back to the dealer with a check engine light on. they forgot to plug something in. The next day I was back with a U/S tach. Again this was due to an improper connection. Finally one week later (last week), the first time with the cart on the highway and guess what, the gear box craps out. Now I'm being told by Chrysler that this isn't warranty (I'm past 3 years) and I'll have to pay the $4,200.00 ($2,700.00 US) for a new gear box.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the gear failure isn't in some way related to all of the other power train defects that the car suffered from previously. Additionally, every time I have taken my car in for work I have had to return to get the repair fixed the next day.

It's funny too cause my other car is a Dodge Avenger ES, made, I believe in the same plant as the Talon and the only problem I've had with it is a leaky rad hose.
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    Your going through the infamous Crankwalk.

This is a known problem with 5sp dsm's. Mitsubishi/Chrysler knows about this, but will not do a recall on the problem.

Many people are suffering your pain.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/crankwalktheory.htm

• mospeedmospeed Posts: 1
    those are all the signs of crankwalk. Sorry...
  • mohitm1mohitm1 Posts: 1
    I've seen a Std. 1992 Eagle Talon which has clocked 90,000 miles. It seems to be in good shape though -- inside and outside.
    The vehicle has most fittings :- a/c, all power, decent stereo etc. ( But no sun-roof. )
    I request you for the following advise :-
    - Is this a reliable car ?
    - Is it expensive to maintain ?
    - Is 90,000 miles on the higher side ?
    What amount should I offer the owner.

Will appreciate your advise/tips.
    Tks./Mo
    A none turbo talons in 92 were ESI model 2.0L 4cyl's rated at 135hp.

I've never heard of any major issues with them.
    There not expensive to maintain, just make sure the timing belts are replaced every 60k.

As long as the car has a clean title and has no mechnenical issues.
    I would look to settle on a price between 1500-2000.
  • rmtraderrmtrader Posts: 30
    Tracy / Amy,

I had a similar problem with my 1991 Talon several years ago and three separate dealerships could not determine what was wrong. The fourth did, however. The oxygen sensor needed replacing. Why diagnostic tests could not determine the problem initially is beyond me. Hope this helps both of you.

-Dave
  • alkdarfalkdarf Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 1995 TSi AWD with 78000 Km on it. It stayed in for the first two winters, has been oil treated so there is no rust on there. The brakes were just changed and there is a probably transferrable extended warraty that goes all the way to Feb 2003. The guy is asking 13500$ CAN.

Does this look like a deal or am I getting [non-permissible content removed]-raped by a Gorilla? What kind of maintenance cost am I looking at?

Thanx a bunch!
    But I'll gladly take getting ripped off on a car over a gorilla on my back anyday!!!
    Lets see here...thats about $9000 US (I would think) and roughly 50k miles I would say.
    I just checked edmunds here and if the cars fully loaded and in tip top condition. The "dealer" retail is about $9000.

"Private" party price is around $7500.

Look like a deal...Nope.
    Especially since the expensive 60k mile service is coming up.

But I'm also not sure if these prices mean anything in Canada.
  • 4g63bt4g63bt Posts: 1
    These cars are generally refered as DSMs (Diamond Star Motors) a join venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. There is a huge internet club for these cars at "www.dsm.org" it has more information about these cars than even Mitsubishi do because for the last 10 years at least 6,000 memebers/owners pooled their knowledge and experience together to help create one of the most comprehensive technical websites for any vehicle on the internet. It teaches anything from how to keep it run good to how to make it a 500hp Dodge Viper killer. These cars are not perfect and has a rather negative reputation for reliability due to a very sophisticated design of the turbocharged engine and AWD. However, almost all possible problems of these cars have been addressed in the website and fixes available so do not be afraid of owning a turbo DSM. The best attributes of these cars and the reason of such a huge cult following around the nation was its extremely strong engine. The 2.0 turbo 4G63 enine was developed in the 80s to compete in Group B rally (often producing excess of 600hp) and later adopted in DSMs in relatively original configuration, so it is very easy to increase the horsepower (up to 450hp for stock internals) on these cars just by adding more turbo boost and fuel along without worrying about engine falling apart, and a rally inspired AWD will be able to apply all that power on the ground. Power and traction are the two most valuable elememts in drag racing and DSMs can really dominate, able to run 12s and 11s with any tire and stock body, chasis and drivetrain. In fact Mitsubishi is still using this engine in their WRC rally competing Lancer Evolutions and has won several championships (97?-98-99) As someone memtioned, given proper care, a DSM will last a long time, my own 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (turbo/AWD) has 120,000 miles and is still running with original headgasket, turbo, transmission and is only on its 2nd clutch despite generating over 300HP and runs low 13s at my local track. If you treat ur DSM like your baby, it will perform like a dream, in my case kickin Mustangs and Porsche's butt with my $5,000 car. But if treat a DSM like a beater than it will give you nightmares because these cars are very complex even by today's standard and anything can go wrong if you neglect on maintainence.
    Well said..I'll glady take a DSM over most sport coupes on the market today, because of the reasons you described.
  • fb4fb4 Posts: 4
    I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with very low miles-- 70,000. I have a had a few problems, not unexpected in an 11 year old car, but one persistent probelm has been that the car "hesitates" or "stutters" at higher RPMs. This is more noticeable at 3500 or higher RPM. I don't know how much it happens in higher gears, b/c I would have to be going too fast, but I notice it more when I am accelerating harder. I was also told by a garage that my transfer case needs to be checked out. They referred me to a transmission shop. I am a bit suspicious of going to transmission shops, so any advice on these problems would be appreciated. This stuttering problem has been around for almost two years. Could they be related? I love the car and have owned it since new. Great year round. The air conditioning has required some service, and it seems to go through brakes and tires rapidly, even though I do not drive it hard. But it has been serving me well. Thanks for any help that anyone has!
    Try having a full tune-up done first. Make sure to have the wires replaced. These turbo motors have a tendency to chew up wires. With all the heat they generate and the way the wires lay against the valve cover..its not surprising IMO.
  • fb4fb4 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information.

The last time I believe I replaced my plugs was around 30,000 miles, quite some time ago. At that time, I used platinum plugs and replaced the wires. I was having an undiagnosed problem at that time, too, which turned out to be the wires. Also tried the fule and air filters at that time. I had the timing belt replaced about a year ago, along with the fuel filter and air filter again. The problem was happening before and after that.

I did take the car to a transmission shop and the man did not put it on a lift, but took it for a ride and did not think anything indicated a transmission problem. He said the transfer case would sound loud if on a lift. Did not think I needed to get into taking the transmission apart.

I do not know when the last time the distributor cap and rotor were replaced. Or if they were at all. In fact, I do not think they were. I have had to replace the tires, brake rotors, and pads a few times. Even though I don't drive hard, the car goes through them quick. Also had to replace A/C parts.

As I said, I enjoy driving it and it has been a good car for over 11 years. The other cars I am considering in its place are the Audi S4 or A6 2.7T (seen some for good prices).

I have been paying more attention to this stuttering/hesitation lately. It happens at varying engine speeds. For example, this morning I noticed it at about 3000 RPM. It does not happen if the car is in neutral. The boost gauge shows the turbo building pressure. Should I have the fuel pressure measured? It happens more when I am accelerating hard. But, if I let up as it starts and shift, I can usually accelerate more.

Thanks again. If you have more suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I'll keep you all filled in!
  • hunter48hunter48 Posts: 30
    My son has a 92 eagle talon turbo all wheel drive the car keeps getting a code 44 which could be a bad ignition coil we replaced one of the coils and replaced the power transtor and the problem still there. So we played with the coil we took off and switch it with the other one and it still gives us a code 44 had it to two dealers and they don't have a answer. has anyone out there had this problem?
This discussion has been closed.