Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition 4WD Problems

Comments

• rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    When you have it in 4WD is the front driveshaft spinning (all wheels off gound) if so the tranfer case is doing it's job! The hubs are problematic on this vehicle and yes they are vacuum controlled by a Integrated wheel end solenoid (IWE) The solenoid simply diverts the vacuum when you command 4WD engaging the hubs. You won't be waisting your money replacing the locking hubs...they will cause clicking noises and go bad often... then check to see if the IWE soleniod is being controlled and working properly. Make sure it has power to it (fuse) and switching vacuum like it should. They are usually located in the right rear of the engine compartment by the battery. It has one 2wire plug and 2 vaccuum lines running to it. Hope that helped.
  • rckharorckharo Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    We have a 2003 Expedition with 120,000 miles on it. While at the Ford dealer for an oil change this morning, I was told that the transfer case input seal in leaking fluid -- and they want $400 to replace the seal. Assuming the dealer is correct, what happens if we don't replace that seal?
  • mndadmndad Posts: 3
    Just want to let everyone know that the problem was the nut on the end of the front axle behind the dust cap that had stripped off. Now nut and cut threads, I now have 4 wheel drive again
  • a year later, but this worked for me too! (fuses good, but pulled and reseated all awd and gem)
  • I have a 1998 ford Expedition we put it in 4 high during our last snow storm and now it won't come out. We have checked all of the fuses, pulled forward and backed up in a straight line, basically we have tried everything we can think of. Does anyone have any idea what to do?
  • Sounds to me like the shift motor is stuck.
  • bcd123bcd123 Posts: 1
    We have a '10 Limited Expedition wish about 10,000 miles on it. When trying to take it out of 4X4 we hear a loud clunking noise. It happened while in TN and we took it to a dealer down there and they said that someone what definitely wrong with the 4x4 but told us to go ahead and drive it home to NY and have it fixed here since they'd have to order parts. Once home, the dealership said nothing is wrong with it and these sounds were normal. When it happened in TN it actually sounded like we hit something, it was that loud. We continue to hear this noise especially after it's snowed and taking it out of 4x4. Of course, I'm going to be taking it back to the dealership but was wondering if anyone would have any clue what it would be so I can help "guide" them in the right direction. Thanks!
  • The dealership in Tenn may be more experience with 4 wheel drive units. I would consider attempting to seek service at a different servicing dealer if that is feasible. A noise like you describe is NOT normal or acceptable.
  • Me too, I heard due to newer tires on front than back (previous owner only bought two new tires)...
  • marvinntracymarvinntracy Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    when it rains, my 4x4 light flashes, and I have not put it in 4x4. What does that mean? Also, when I turn a corner from a complete stop, it feels like the tire is grabbing the road ....The ball joints were changed a few years ago, and the control arm bushings look good...I do have wear on the inside of the tire...is this just an alignment issue? Are the two issues related?
  • The tire grab description sounds like it is the limited slip rear end binding. Do you have the LSD? Have you changed the fluid in it? Added modifier?
  • this is a 99' and I don't think it has LSD. the grab feels like it is coming from the front tires..mostly drivers side.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited November 2011
    Front tire scrubbing and/or wheel hop during low speed tight turning can be, is caused by a locked center diff'l. Absent the 4X4 light I would guess a front CV joint, sounds as if that flashing 4X4 light shouldn't be ignored.
  • I'm having the same problems on my 2003 expedition . I just had my front two tires changed recently; Now my A4WD , Hi or Lo is grinding and pulling to the right when I accelerate, feels like the front end of my truck is falling apart. But it works fine in 2wheel hi , so thats what I driving in now; till I figure this thing out about what the hell!!! went wrong to the point where no one knows what happen in that Very short period of time. Do I have to buy a new hub for both sides or just the (IWE) SOLENOID ? what would be your best suggestion at this point?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 293
    edited December 2011
    Your problem may be the new tires. How old were the rears? The diameters need to be very close because the A4WD and beyond utilize the wheel rpms to determine if there is wheel slip. A larger (new) tire rotates less than an older more worn tire, the A4WD sees that as wheel slip and engages. I bet the shop suggested you do all 4 tires didn't they? They were not over selling you, they know the deal. 4Hi and 4Lo couple all the wheels together, but with different diameters the fronts and rears are trying to turn different rpms, hence the noise. 2 more new tires will fix your issue.
  • I have a 1988 expedition with 180,000 miles. It runs like a tank usually. Today after returning from a 20 mile trip to the office I arrived home to find I needed to go out to pick up dinner. I started the truck and started down the road only to hear a grinding noise and felt the truck lurch forward. I pulled over and started out again same result. The dash light shows 4x4 low but the switch isn't set in 4 wheel mode. Any ideas?
  • Sounds like the a4wd is engaging. Did you try running it through the 4wd selections, i.e. put it in 4 hi, then 4 lo? See if that gets it back to where it belongs. Your '98 has A4wd and no 2wd drive, correct?
  • My 98 has 2H A4WD 4H and 4L. I haven't had it out of 2H in over a year. Tried switching through 4W modes no change still have light saying 4x4 Low Range.
  • Sorry first post should have been 98 not 88. Typo
  • Could this be the electronic shift motor? Can I test to prove its not working?