Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Rogue Window Exploding

romns121921romns121921 Posts: 2
edited April 24 in Nissan
I didn't know if anyone else has had this issue. This weekend my passenger side window exploded while we were driving on the highway. There weren't any big trucks around that would have "thrown" a stone. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That has got to be scary. Can you tell whether it was directed inward or outward, i.e. into your Rogue or out of it?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • The majority came in on me, but there are chips/scrapes all down the side of the vehicle from the glass, so not all of it came in.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I was thinking that a pressure differential might have triggered the break but if you have glass more or less equally divided between inside and out then I don't think it's a factor. (Chips and scrapes on the outside suggest a substantial amount of glass went outward.) It sounds like the glass simply shattered (it should not!) either due to internal defects or some applied stress (misaligned mountings or somesuch).

Has anyone else here experienced side windows shattering like this?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rob147rob147 Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago we bought a 2009 Nissan Rogue. Yesterday, the rear, right window exploded while it was parked in the driveway. We are expecting a baby, and had the base of the car seat installed in the backseat -- it was a horrible feeling to see it full of shards of glass. It will only cost me $212 to fix, but I am going to contact Nissan (1-800-647-7261), and am looking into the Lemon Law statutes.
  • robp8robp8 Posts: 1
    My 2008 Nissan Rogue was parked in the driveway, undriven for 7 hours. It was 8:30 pm last night and I was in the garage, I heard a semi-loud pop and looked up to watch the rear passenger side glass finish shattering. I do not have neighbors and there was absolutely nothing around that could have caused this. For the next 15 minutes the broken glass inside the car and my child's seat kept popping and making sounds. We have two young ones that sit in the back and we are now very hesitant to have them in the car. I took it to my local dealer today, so I will see what they say. It sounds like others have had this problem but only 1 report to safercars.gov. If you have a problem with glass exploding on your Rogue please report it. Hopefully Nissan won't pull a Toyota and hide this potential hazard.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    So what ever happened? Did they find out why? It sounds to me like it is a structural issue possibly depending on how the vehicle is parked? Or a faulty linkage mount assembly.

I had a Toyota Matrix that unless you were on level ground, the rear hatch didn't just close cleanly with one latch clunk. If it was on uneven grd, the latch would go ker- clunk. And I had never had more than 3 people ever (160 to 175 pounders) in the car prior. So there is a lot of chassis flex in todays modern cars.
    I know for a fact that the windshield is factored in to front crash technology and is an integral component (and its correct use of sealants and installation) to lessening cabin infringement.
  • jenn0127jenn0127 Posts: 1
    Glad I found this forum, and figured I should post my experience on here as well. Yesterday, I left work and got to my car only to discover that my driver-side window had shattered. I realize that I live in Georgia and it is really hot here, but it isn't hot enough for heat to do that. My car was parked between two others, and there's no sign that anything hit it. I've only had the car for 2 months, so this is very disappointing. I'm really glad that I wasn't inside when it shattered. I called the dealership I purchased it from in Maryland, and they, of course, have never heard of this happening before. I plan to call Nissan about this. I'm about to get it fixed, but I'll have to pay out of pocket for something that is clearly the manufacturer's fault. I really don't want to keep driving around in a car, worrying that another window could go at any moment. This is crazy.
  • Same thing happened to our 2011 Nissan Rogue this morning. Very scary - glass all over the backseat. No previous damage on the rear window, but it happened as my husband rolled up the front window and the pressure changed in the car. He was driving in town and the temperature was around 72.
  • My passenger window exploded while I was driving. It didn't shatter from anything impacting it, it just went "POOF" and exploded.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Just happen today in my 2008 Nissan Titan. Passenger window just exploded as I was driving.
  • This just happened to me yesterday on my 2012 Nissan Titan which was parked in front of my house. The passenger back quarter panel just shattered and looks like it shot out. The entire surrounding edge of the glass is all ragged. Got a quote for around 227 OTD but yikes..I'm the original owner with only 5000 miles.. was not expecting this to happen..

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,157

Insurance claim?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,549

Back quarter panel breaks are often a sign of a thief trying to enter. Are you sure nothing is missing from the car?

• vignesjavignesja Posts: 1

Two days ago on 5/25/14, my new 2014 Nissan Rogue was "sitting" in my driveway and the passenger side front window shattered. My Husband was on the porch and heard it. He was in shock, as I am. Nothing hit the vehicle at all. It just shattered. Most of the glass shattered into the vehicle and some on the outside ground. Waiting for Nissan to call us back today. This is so scary. I am so nervous to drive it.

• was this covered by your insurance or the car dealer? this exact thing happened to my daughters 2013 Nissan Rogue?