Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPORT SUSPENSION ON GOLF GTI

Comments

• alfaromeoalfaromeo Posts: 210
    I'll hopefully be driving an S4!!! lol
  • tognetertogneter Posts: 245
    The torque difference doesn't look like much on paper, but my roommate has a VR6, and his girlfriend has a 1.8t.

I've driven both. You can feel the difference.
    carlady's gonna get mad at us =[
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    togneter, surely you jest :-)

carlady/host
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    The only thing I really don't like about the VR6 is that I've heard it's not easy to get power out of it, short of adding some kind of forced induction. The VR6 is the superior engine as far as acceleration goes in stock trim. Both engines have their pros and cons, the three things that make me lean towards the 1.8T are price, lighter weight/better balance and cheap/effective aftermarket mods.
    Turbos are always easier to tune than NA engines.
    Of course, because you can just dial up the boost. But even for an NA engine I've heard the VR6 isn't easy to get power out of, probably because VW did a pretty good job the first time.
    That engine gets a lot of kick for its size. they squeezed out most of what it had.

I love the VR6 engine.
    I've seen some turbo/supercharger equipped VR6's, and they sounded like monsters, but it seems like too much of a hassle. Sounded like it was a really expensive/painful install and they had some definite reliability issues.
    The replacement K04 turbo and chip for the 1.8T is supposed to make around 225-230 HP. Throw in a good intake and exhaust and you should be looking at around 250 HP for around 2500 bucks. But I'd be a little leary about a 1.8 make 250 HP. Almost 140 HP per liter. I could totally see some serious problems with the setup. Anyone know if the 150 HP 1.8T has the same internals as the 225 HP Audi 1.8T? It seems like they're identical, with the exception of the turbo and the amount of boost, but they could have some difference below the surface. If the 225 horse Audi engine had the same internal components I'd feel a lot better about getting 250 horses out of the 1.8T in the GTI.
    There's s guy in Vancouver, BC who's retrofitted a New Beetle with a VR6 and a turbo. That's a 350hp Bug. He was selling it for $20k US, but I'm sure it's gone by now...
  • The internals are totally different on the 225hp TT. Check this site or Motor Trend. I remember reading about it, but I'm not sure where.
  • quint3quint3 Posts: 20
    VW's GTI does not come with a sports suspension, although one is supposedly promised for next year. Even so, it won't hold a candle to aftermarket springs and shocks.
  • hemant7hemant7 Posts: 9
    I am considering 17" wheels on a new GTI I am about to buy. Any comments on whether this is a good idea? I think the bigger wheels may help traction and provide more ground clearance.

Thanks.
    Excellent idea. Get a set and plop on some 215/45's. Yhere will be more stability, but if you want to get rid of the wallows you will need to change springs and shocks. The only way you'll increase ground clearance (?) is by choosing the wrong size tire.
    Thanks. If I do change the springs and shocks, how does that affect the warranty? Also is the trunck-mounted CD changer easy to install myself?

Much appreciated.
    Thanks. If I do change the springs and shocks, how does that affect the warranty? Also is the trunck-mounted CD changer easy to install myself?

Much appreciated.
    Have you ever had anything go wrong with a car's springs and shocks? Don't worry about it. Just do it.You don't know what your missing. As for the changer, don't know. I leave that to the pros. I don't want any problems.
  • cirrus3cirrus3 Posts: 4
    I just drove the GTI Turbo. I drove the VR6 about a month ago.

Though the Turbo is quite strong and has almost no lag (I have an '88 Saab Turbo, so I know about lag), I honestly prefer the six cylinder. Turbos tend to be jerky and rubber-band-like in their power application, which I assume is why companies such as BMW eschew them, preferring a smoother, revvy-er approach.

The salesman didn't seem to know whether the car I drove had the sport suspension (it was a 2001 model built in Brazil). It had signicant body roll, so I suspect it did not. Personally, I'd go for the VR6 and consider firming up the chassis later.
    There will be no sport suspension option for either GTI this fall!!! Now go hit the aftermarket!
    True, there is no option, ...because it's STANDARD!
    I just bought a 2001 GTI GLS (1.8t).
    Check out the Vortex site, and you can read about the improved sports suspension standard on those cars.
    It's NO RACING SUSPENSION, but it's stiffer than the one on the outgoing model from 2000.
    It's a 'compromise' solution for everyday use, which feels smooth enough for your commuting, while offering better cornering. I guess that those wanting 'the real stuff' will have to resort to the aftermarket. Depends what you want your car for.
    Anyway... the car is great!
    Yes, the 1.8t models come with SLIGHTLY more damping than the base golfs but the SPORTS suspension that was promised (possibly in tandem with a 17" wheel option) is not to be.

Plus, whatever damping the car does have is pretty much rendered useless by the 65-series tires. Still, it seems like an excellent platform to build on.
    Check out the vortex pages, you'll have all the answers there...
    What is the vortex site?
    Wow, terrific site! I just read in the new SCI about the sport pkg. deletion, but the available lineup at Vortex looks tasty indeed. So who's correct?
    Ok... now it's my turn... what's 'THE NEW SCI???'

It seems vortex knows their stuff. Also, I believe that the new GTIs are simply closer to the Euro specs than the 2000 predecessor. I read somewhere that they had 'softened' the suspension previously for the american market. My new GTI feels very much the same as the ones I drove back in Europe.
    Again, it's not a 'racing suspension'... but my new car seems to handle the corners perfectly (I'm not pushing it, I got it yesterday!)
    Maybe what you've read simply means that there is no 'option' on the GTIs, because they've made it standard. I guess it's the only possible explanation.
    Not pushing it, it's new? It's not like you need to break-in a suspension! Just joking. SCI is Sports Car International, the August/September issue. And I would have to believe that any meaningful factory suspension upgrade would necessitate a change up from the 65-series rubber.
    According to the latest AutoWeek, there will not be a Sports suspension on the GTIs. However, if you order the new FIVE door GTI 1.8t (or Jetta 1.8t) you can at least opt for a 17" wheel/tire package.Odd.
    Hey... I don't know. My car has it, and it clearly says so on the window sticker. The Vortex forum (which seems to be well informed) says so.
    But I guess it all depends what one calls 'sport suspension'...
    As far as the 17'' tires... That's a bit 'much' for me and my driving requirements, but something in between would be nice.
    If you REALLY race and need all the fancy sport mods, you'd have to resort to the aftermarket anyway. I don't care much for mods. I don't race!
This discussion has been closed.