Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback overheating

2»

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    edited April 2010
    Subaru's thermostat is unique and aftermarket TStat won't meet Subaru's spec on Open / Close ... be sure to buy the factory TStat.

Radiator cap is cheap, replaced with a new one also.

Coolant goe through heater core. If there is H.C. problem then it'll block the flow of coolant, thus overheat. I think there is a by-pass short-cut the coolant to flow back without get into cabin heat sys to pinpoint this rpoblem. Use hand to feel warm and cold of hoses might tell also.
  • doc54doc54 Posts: 1
    so, what a nightmare, three different foriegn garages and one dealership and still over-heats!!!!!!!!!

New radiator, waterpump, thermostat, head gasket and all the other stuff that a dealership does when replacing gaskets. Cost at dealership in S. Carolina $2o22.47 and still overheats-Great hey?

Overheated leaving the dealerhip about 25 miles away after being on the highway, got off the expressway and temp guage went sky high, called dealership and they recommended getting a new thermostat. Still overheats.

Anyway, do not want to put much more money into it with almost 200.000 miles. Good enough to run wife to work about two miles each way. Still feel like i was burnt.

Auto Zone worker felt it might be a hairline crack in the head or block and when it gets hot the crack opens up, dispells the fluid and sucks air and gets hot. When cold crack closes and i end up adding anti-freeze. Damn and i love the handling but probably won't get another one...
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    The dealership did the head gasket work , it still overheats, and they will not warrant the repair? That sounds suspicious to me and I would contact Subaru of America about it.
  • kidalikidali Posts: 17
    Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to have the head gaskets replaced?
    Mine seems fine at the moment, but at 206,000 km, I'm a little worried (97)
    I replaced the head gaskets myself; the total cost was about $550, which included a new timing belt and pulleys (the lion's share of the expense). I think I estimated, at the time, that the work for me was about 18 labor hours. Commercially, I think full (both) head gasket replacements tend to run $1600 to $2000.
    Thermostat has to be OEM because Subaru one is unique that aftermarket T-Stat is not same. Make sure you installed the OEM one.
    I heard people pay 1200 for HG replacement.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If you do both sides, that sounds about right.
    That's possible; it all depends on the rates and what is replaced. I would expect about twelve hours of labor plus whatever parts. The shop rate locally is currently $105 at most places, so the labor alone is going to put you at $1200.
2»
This discussion has been closed.