Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• tomb3742tomb3742 Posts: 2
    If you have a name and number at Isuzu, I would appreciate it your giving it to me. This just happened to my car and it is such a shame because everything else on the car is holding up well.
  • gurlzyllagurlzylla Posts: 8
    Call the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline to file your complaint 888-327-4236.
  • Dan.Pearse@dot.gov

This is who contacted me about my 99 passport frame rust issue. He said he is the one who investigates to see if a recall is warranted. I sent him pictures and all info pertaining to the vehicle. He called me as well to conduct an over the phone interview about the vehicle. He did tell me it was a slow process.
  • rodeoparodeopa Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone! I’m finally getting to post something on this forum and it looks like it has been inactive for over a month. Hopefully people are still reading it even if they aren’t writing in. This is my first post here but I’ve been following it since December of 2009. I never joined before this because I felt I had nothing to contribute that hadn’t already been covered. I want to thank all of you who shared such valuable information & let me know we weren’t alone in this. My husband & I are also victims of the Isuzu Corporation. We have a (superficially) beautiful 2001 Rodeo that is permanently parked & rusting away in our driveway. Our story was told in a letter that I sent to my local Pittsburgh news stations. I was going to share it with you just in case it would help anyone else interested in contacting their local stations but I don’t see any way of attaching a file here and it seems too lengthy to include in with the general posts. It was nothing spectacular, but it worked! In March I was interviewed for about an hour by Jim Parsons at WTAE Channel 4 in Pittsburgh. I supplied him with every bit of information I had collected & arranged for him to interview my mechanic & film the undercarriage of the vehicle while it was up on a lift. I think anything & everything you can offer to illustrate the severity of this issue is worth the effort. He realized that the story was much bigger than he originally thought & it took awhile to complete. After many delays & postponements, the story finally aired last month. Below is the link if you’d like to view it. I don’t know how much of a difference the story will make, but if it has informed even just one unaware Rodeo owner of this hazard, I feel it was worth it…

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/team4/24228073/detail.html
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard and thanks for the link. It surely is an eyeopener.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • check out Isuzu recalls, it is finally happening
  • Thanks for sharing, first time I have seen this broadcast. I am in the broadcast, from Kentucky. My Passport is the one raised behind me, as my husband and son replaced the frame with a rust free one from a 1998 2 wheel drive Rodeo. It seems that the 2 wheel drives are not affected by the rust, only the 4x4's, for whatever reason, I don't know.
    As everyone knows by now, we have won the recall as of October 1st. Make sure you file a claim with your vehicle's manufacturer, and with NHTSA too. The recalls covers 23 states, 118,000 vehicles, years 1998-2002, have been recalled and the manufacturers are supposed to send us all a letter instructing us how to go about getting our vehicles fixed. Even if your vehicle is not rusted, they will provide some type of anti-corrosive coating to the frame. As our frame was replaced by my husband and son, I am not sure where I stand, but I am still going to take the Passport into the Honda garage/dealership after I receive my recall letter and see what they want to do about it. I am also going to take my photos from the rusted frame, also with the piece of original frame we saved.
    It's interesting, even after I called Honda America in April and May of this year, I was again told that I was the first person to complain of this problem. Now they finally have come forward to admit there is a problem (thus the recall). Very disheartening to deal with a large company such as Honda and to know that I was not being told the truth. But in the end, all of us working and fighting for a recall were thrilled to hear the news on October 1st, we won, we were heard, we pushed our case with using the internet, facebook, forums such as Edmunds and were able to get others, who might not have known where to turn, the information they needed to add to the recall numbers.
    I think thanks needs to go to Edmunds Forum for keeping everyone posted on what is happening, and for allowing us to post here to help others. Edmunds has been here for me, and has provided a lot of good information for everyone affected by this frame rust problem. And it has been great that not only we can share what we learned to help others, but also find out info that we may have missed. Thanks to our host, Stever, for helping us get to our goal, the recall of these vehicles.
    If you know of someone who is driving one of these vehicles, make sure they call their manufacturer and also file the claim with NHTSA, that is still important. I have been contacted by other Rodeo and Passport owners, both own 1997's and one lives in California, and they are disappointed that their vehicles were not included in the recall. I just have to say that if your vehicle is outside the recall parameters, still contact Honda or Isuzu and NHTSA, because there is the possibility that the recall could be extended to include other years or states, if they get enough cases and claims.
  • Thank you Marinaky and edmunds for all that you did for us. I'm so glad that we won the recall. My car is still sitting in my driveway. I started to sell it for parts and I'm glad I held out and waited for the recall. I'm just waiting to recieve my letter. I was told they would pay my tow bill since the only dealership is two hours away from where I live. They said they would see if it could be repaired. I hate to tell them but I had 3 mechanics look at my car and they told me it was unfixable and it was a death trap. The body of my car is beautiful and it's a shame that the frame is worthless junk. So again thank you for taking a stand and getting this all started. Now I just sit and wait for my letter.
  • Auto Recall Date: SEP 22, 2010

Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:REAR
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 149992
    Model Affected
    2001 ISUZU RODEO

2001 Isuzu Rodeo Defect Summary:
    ISUZU IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1998-2002 ISUZU RODEO AND MODEL YEAR 2002 ISUZU AXIOM VEHICLES, AND HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN 1998-2002 HONDA PASSPORT VEHICLES, THAT WERE ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR ARE CURRENTLY REGISTERED, IN THE STATES OF MAINE, NEW HAMPSHIRE, VERMONT, MASSACHUSETTS, RHODE ISLAND, CONNECTICUT, NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, PENNSYLVANIA, DELAWARE, MARYLAND, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WEST VIRGINIA, OHIO, INDIANA, MICHIGAN, ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN, MINNESOTA, IOWA, MISSOURI, AND KENTUCKY. VEHICLES THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED SUSTAINED EXPOSURE TO HIGHLY CORROSIVE MATERIALS USED IN SOME JURISDICTIONS FOR ROAD DEICING PURPOSES MAY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE CORROSION IN THE VICINITY OF THE FORWARD MOUNTING POINT BRACKET FOR THE LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK PRIOR TO THE TIME THAT SUCH CORROSION WOULD NORMALLY BE EXPECTED.

Defect Consequence:
    EXCESSIVE CORROSION MAY RESULT IN THE LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET BECOMING DETACHED FROM THE FRAME, WHICH CAN AFFECT VEHICLE HANDLING AND POTENTIALLY CAUSE A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET AREA. FOR VEHICLES IN WHICH LITTLE OR NO CORROSION IS FOUND, THE AREA WILL BE TREATED WITH AN ANTI-CORROSIVE COMPOUND. FOR VEHICLES IN WHICH CORROSION HAS DAMAGED THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET AND AFFECTED ITS CONNECTION TO THE VEHICLE FRAME, A REINFORCEMENT BRACKET WILL BE INSTALLED. IN THE RARE EVENT THE CORROSION IS SO SEVERE THAT THE REINFORCEMENT BRACKET REMEDY WOULD NOT BE APPROPRIATE, ISUZU AND HONDA WILL DEVELOP AN APPROPRIATE REMEDY. ALL INSPECTIONS AND REMEDIES WILL BE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE 10 YEARS OLD OR LESS. FOR VEHICLES OLDER THAN 10 YEARS, ISUZU WILL OFFER A FREE REMEDY, BUT ONLY IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN ISUZU SERVICE FACILITY, OR HONDA DEALER (AS APPLICABLE), DEALER WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF WHEN OWNER NOTIFICATIONS WERE ISSUED. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY DECEMBER 2010. ISUZU OWNERS MAY CONTACT ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727. HONDA OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:

Notes: ISUZU MANUFACTURING SERVICES OF AMERICA
    2001 ISUZU RODEO Recall ID from NHTSA: 01V055000
  • roy54roy54 Posts: 2
    i have a isuzu rodeo 2001 and 6 weeks ago my suspension broke away from the frame at 50 miles an hour it wasent fun . i here there is going to be a recall can they still help me.
  • alcjewalcjew Posts: 173
    If you live in the recall affected states posted by marinesmom, it would be advisable that you contact Isuzu 1-800-255-6727. Fortunately I live in MA, I called them on Friday, in 5 - 6 weeks they will be mailing owners inspection information. They'll ask your for VIN to insure they have your current address on file. According to them, they are putting together repair kits and training their service mechanics / techs. As an original owner of a 1999 with ~200k mi, it has been a very reliable workhorse. It has all original parts except the typical wear & tear. Good luck.
  • Early this evening my 9yo daughter and I were driving to the store. After stopping for a red light I stepped on the gas to proceed and heard a knock from the rear-end. Not thinking there was any problem we continued on our way. When I went to stop for the next traffic light I noticed a slight sway which felt like it was it was from the front. It was only when I hit the gas that I realized that there was a serious problem. The whole rear-end fish tailed slightly to the right. I got into the slow lane as quickly as I possibly could and continued the 1/8 of a mile to our destination. Being aware of this problem I knew what to look for. Sure enough the left-hand side bracket that holds the trailing arm to the frame had seperated and there was a half-inch space between the two pieces and the frame that was left just crumbled in my hands. I plan on calling the ISUZU number 1-800-255-6727 for this recall first thing tomorrow and see how they want to handle this. Though I don't see this problem could possibly be repaired by a bolt-on bracket, after all wouldn't you need something that wasn;t all rotted away to bolt it to? Im permanently disabled and currently un-employed due to health reasons and a truck purchase was not in the plans for now but I guess we'll see what happens. Im just thankful that no one got hurt.
  • I received my notice also.....let the fun begin...work was done 2 years ago...cost us nearly 2000. Have the before and after photos
  • I own a 1997 izuzu rodeo i was looking on internet for rust repair when i came upon web site concerning a recall for 1998-2001 izuzu rodeos.i have the same problem with my 1997, was told rust can not be repaired, was told was dangerous to drive. not sure why 1997 was not included, i would like to know how this recall works and what can i do to get something done about this problem if possible i have already filed a complaint with izuzu and nhtsa. help! cant afford a new car.
  • SO, I received my letter for the recall on monday at 3:00pm, I called the number and set it up , they showed up at 5:00 pm with a flat bed to pick it up. They told me they were taking it to Peters of Nashua. on wednesday around 1:30 I figured I would just check Peter's as noone had contacted me. Nate at Peters told me my car was not there! they didnt even know it was comming ? so he said I would have to call isuzu back and I did. after getting thru I was transfered several times until finaly a lady came on and started giving me a hard time telling me its not the truck drivers fault , he did what he was told to do and that I needed to go to peters and look for it ! and she proceded to tell me where he parked it, come to find out Isuzu had passed me off to the dispatcher at roadside assistance ! So I again called the dealer and they were really good and actualy walked the lot and still no rodeo ! I called the line once again and got transfered again to roadside assistance ! I hung up and called the original 1 800 255 6727 where I was again transfered and left on hold several times, finally they came back on and said they felt it was delivered to Portsmouth instead of Nashua ! I informed them that the transportation company confermed that it was dropped off in Nashua, He said he would find out and call me back !!! At 6:30 I decided to call and found they did find it , it was at the honda dealer next door and the keys were put in a drop box in a building they no longer use ! and never did anyone say sorry for all this bull ship,
    I dont know why they had troubles in the states !
    Now my unregistered Rodeo is sitting in Nashua and they wont even be looking at it until mid January? not sure why they came and got it now if they arent even going to look at it ? I hope something positive becomes of all this hassle, I was literally on the phone for about 2 hours looking for my car. I hope they figure this out as there are going to be aloyt of them soon and they will be more difficult to keep track of.
    Good luck to all :mad:
  • roy54roy54 Posts: 2
    isuzu picked my rodeo up yesterday hpoe they can fix it or buy it back i think they will fix yours aiso call isuzu1-877-460-0706
  • I called nashua also, made an appointment and received a call back that they could not inspect it, but I re-read my recall notice and I can mail direct my forms and the documents that prove we had the work done. It states 60 days, but so far things have not always gone well with isuzu....Mr. Rhienhardt has beeen great at the Transportation Safety in DC - and hopefully it will be ok when we proceed to the next step. But, I know that the dealerships are frustrated as they have had a break in communication with the corporation....
  • Hi,

I have the same year and model suv with the same rusting frame problem.
    I have not filed a complaint yet, I was hoping that this recall would cover my year, I plan to go to the dealership to see what they say. Please let me know if you hear anything from Izuzu or the NHTSA.
  • Hi,

I called Isuzu at the number you posted, i explained that I have a 1997
    Rodeo with frame rust, the lady that i talked with said that Isuzu would not
    cover this year and there was nothing that I could do about this problem.
    I filed a complaint with NHTSA. My next step is to take it to a dealer and see what they are willing to help out with this problem.