Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• volksfanvolksfan Posts: 1
    I bought my vehicle with a blown engine. I had to spend months of my time and money getting it rebuilt only to find out after driving it for a week that my frame was about to fall apart. It was as my service advisor had discribed "the worst he had seen." Now because I did not pay top dollar for my vehicle I am going to be getting screwed. I worked for toyota when they recalled the tacomas. I am working for ford now while the windstars are being recalled at a rate of 150% of blue book retail value. Why are we getting the shaft from a company that before now I would have placed above ford.
  • finus1finus1 Posts: 1
    I am interested in the lawsuit. I bought my 2001 Rodeo a little over a year ago for a little over $4k. Now they offer me $1600 for my daily driver that has nothing wrong with it, with the exception of the rusted rear frame connection being broke. Im stuck with an inoperable truck with not enough money to purchase a vehicle in the same running condition. If they would have at least offered $3k, I would have considered that to be fair. Now I would rather they just fix the truck and keep that change.
  • crowmackcrowmack Posts: 1
    ABSOLUTELY, SOMETHING ALREADY HAS HAPPENED. THE FRAME ON YOUR VEHICLE IS CORRODING SO SEVERELY AND PREMATURELY THAT WHEN IT DOES FAIL...YOU MIGHT NOT BE HERE TO FILE THE COMPLAINT. THEY LOWER LINK BRACKET IS A JOKE AND IS A WAY OF ISZUZU TRYING TO DOWNPLAY THE REAL AND MORE COSTLY DEFECT: THE FRAME...PLEASE KEEP FIGHTING OR WE WILL ALL TAKE THE LOSS WHEN IT SHOULD BE THEM
  • me11yme11y Posts: 1
    I have yet to get my Rodeo in for an appointment (next Thursday). I don't think they will be able to install the reinforcement bracket as the rear frame looks pretty bad and has holes in it. I also don't think this dealer I am bringing it to has dealt with this recall yet because they seemed like..we repair it if it's necessary.
    I am concerned that if they are trying to repair it and need to take bolts and parts of, they might not be able to get it all back together and then what....
    I am not going to pay for any extra parts. If they are offering me money for my Rodeo, I don't think it will be enough to get a car with that in the same running condition. If it wasn't for the frame I am pretty sure everything else would still run for a few more years.
  • ponesskponessk Posts: 1
    I'm late to the party here - I cosigned on a 2001 Rodeo Sport S for my daughter last year. We still owe $4,500 on the car, but just yesterday experienced the rusting frame issue. We're told by Isuzu that this particular model (the 2-door) isn't covered by the recall even though it's the IDENTICAL issue described in the recall description! We filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with our state's Attorney General's office (and requested mediation). Right now, we are stuck with an unrepairable junk car that we can do absolutely nothing with until the debt is satisfied. I can't believe how angry I am about this. Does anyone else have the model that isn't covered, but has suffered the same problem? The two people we spoke with at Isuzu honestly could not have cared less about our plight.
  • Hey there, well, I got the recall notice in the mail for my frame rot as well.
    To give a little education on me: I am a Senior master mechanic with 29 years experience under my belt, and am very familiar with what you are talking about.
    about 6 months ago I experienced the left top rear shock mount rotting off the frame, and the shock blowing a hole on the rear floor above it. The frame I had discovered was rusting enough I could not fabricate and weld a new mount back on the frame. so I removed the shock for the time being so it would not cause any more damage to the vehicle. I do steel fabricating as a hobby, so I was thinking of a resolution to the problem. While thinking about it I get this recall notice in the mail. So I think GREAT!!! The factory has had these problems, and has come up with a solution and is going to fix this issue, right? Hell no, dead wrong!! I call them and they tell me the recall covers the rear lower control arm mounts only... Hummmm well I asked them what about the rest of the frame? The only rust on the frame is the rear upper shock mounts and the upper coil spring mounts, and the frame cross bars, the side rails seem to be pretty sound, just surface rust and no holes. They insulted me by saying I didn't even know what I was talking about at all to take it to a qualified isuzu dealer, and that they would not cover the issues I just described. They told me they have never even heard of such an issue. SO I did some snooping around and have looked at other rodeos weather they are 2 or 4 door didn't matter and about the same years as my 2 rodeos I have ( 98, and 99). some had the exact same rust issues, some didn't have any at all. turns out they were built 2 differant places up north and out west. My wifes 99 was built out west, and of course mine was built up north. The only ones that have the issue are the ones from up north never out west. An none of them had control arm mount issues. They told me under no circumstances will they cover my issue at all. Hummm well after all the Rodeos I looked at , about 150 of them, not one had control arm mount issues at all, all the ones from up north had the exact issues I have now. SO I gave up on the As* H**es, and fabricated new, heavier duty upper shock mounts drilled the frame and bolted them on, and now have to fabricate upper spring mounts for it as well. There is a little modification I had to make to make this work but it will work very well and out last the truck.
    SO Yes to answer you, I too was treated with disrespect and am stuck with a P.O.S. from Isuzu, and has left a very sour taste in my mouth since this happened!
    Rich, A.S.E. Master certified Auto mechanic, and of course more than qualified than most of those Isuzu geeks to do any repairs. :)
  • Where did you find that they were built in two different plants? All the info I found says that Isuzu only had one manufacturing facility in Lafayette, Indiana.
  • My plan is to file a claim in Mass. Small Claims Court for my rusted out 2000 Rodeo frame (65k miles). Does anybody have a mailing address for Isuzu in the US? Thank you.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    edited July 2011
    This is probably it, but you could call and ask:

Isuzu Motors America, LLC

Some states require arbitration, so you may want to ask about that too:

BBB Auto Line

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My 2001 Rodeo was in excellent condition, I bought it new and took good care of it, loved it so much really never wanted to part with it. I had no idea about this rust problem until.....my son was using it with his 3 year old son in the back when it just broke in two. If he had been going over 25 mph he may have been injured or killed. I had just received the letter 2 days prior and was making arrangements to take it into the dealer (75 miles away). It had to be towed, it cannot be fixed at all and I got a call from Izuzu telling me they will send me a check for $2860 and I sign off on all claims, give them the title and registration and they will crush it. They told me everybody is getting the same amount and I just wonder what my options are? I can not possibly buy a car of any sort for that and being a retired woman on fixed income I have no idea what I am going to do. Has anybody been contacted yet and would you think we could negotiate the amount?
  • nhrodeonhrodeo Posts: 6
    I too bought my 2001 rodeo new and was given 2700.00 when it also broke in half....many people were given much less. They said they offered me more since I had owned it so long. Sorry to say this, but there really aren't a lot of options available....I also lived my rodeo and would still be driving it if I were able to. Good luck...
  • It seems that everyone who is offered a buyback is offered something different. You may be able to get more specific numbers on the facebook page about this recall.
  • they said that my 2001 Rodeo was not able to be repaired and pics were sent to the main headquarters, so I called them today and they said that they were in the process of doing whatever it is they do, I have not received an offer as of yet but I don't have to tell you or anyone else with this issue how pissed off I will be if the offer is 1500 to 2000 , I still owe 4000 on it and i'm telling ya right now there is no way I am going to eat up the cost of what I owe + another 2000 for a down payment on another car + the hassle and gas + the extra mileage put on my wife's car , the list goes on and on all because they FKED up. I am all about joining this little class action and i believe we should post this all over Facebook and any other means of getting people on our side.$6000 is Just fair , that gives people enough to pay off their car , if not all at least a good portion and be able to put something down for another car. obviously for this to happen Isuzu needs to step up especially if they ever want me to consider ever buying another Isuzu . Oh and the dealership that has my car is an hour away so...yeah.
  • nhrodeonhrodeo Posts: 6
    As much as it sucks, Isuzu doesn't care since they're not in the car-selling market anymore. I got 2700.00 for my 2001 and that was good compared to other offers I saw on here. Wish you the best with yours...
  • Could you give a short rundown of how it works. I just "lost" my Isuzu to the dealership a couple of days ago. And was told that they would be contacting me for a buyback with no specifics. How long does this process take and what does it involve? How long does it take to get the check. I can't seem to find this info anywhere if you could please enlighten me and others I'd appreciate it. I need to know how long I'm going to be waiting. And yes I did try to call Isuzu corp myself. Thanks for any help you can give.
  • andigoandigo Posts: 7
    Hi! I am new to this mess. Just found out last week that there was a recall on my passport. found out when I went to put on a muffler and was told it was condemned. Honda took it from me and made it impossible to drive. I would be interested in talking to your friend because they are telling me that they will not give me what I paid for it, but the kelley blue book private party "good" amount. This is about $2500 less than it is worth. Would just like to have what it would cost me to replace it with a comparable car. I loved the car and am not going to be able to afford to buy an suv that can compare at what they are giving me. They told me that this was the only deal they are offering across the board, but you said they were giving your friend what he paid for it. I did go to a lawyer to see what my rights are and am interested in a suit. We should get amounts to cover what the replacement of the vehicles would be so that we can replace like for like.
    andigo
    Hi! did you find your info? I just started the process also. I had to give up my car last Thursday. Friday I received a call from Honda. They said that they are only offering the Kelley blue book or the black book whchever is highest, for the private party amount. This is quite a bit lower than the retail amount, and is about 2500 less than it is worth in my case. I did receive a rental car which I am thankful for and I love it. It makes giving up my car harder because I know that with what they are giving me I will only be able to afford a junky car, when I had a luxury suv. I am really upset and went to a lawyer today.
    what amount did they tell you? They told me the kelley blue book private amount was all they were going to give.
    thanks
    andigo
    My understanding is that stage 4 is beyond repair. they should offer you a settlement pretty quickly, but they are only giving kelley blue book for private sale only, or so they told me. I am trying to find out if anyone else got more for theirs. Totally not fair.
    'andigo
    i have a passport, but i was told a different amount. i wouldn't sign until i talked to others with your same car and saw the amounts they were given
    andigo
  • Folks,you need to be realistic as to what you will be paid...My Rodeo was stage 4,and I got $1500 for it,with no rental. I understand Honda owners are getting more and a rental..To think you will get anything near retail is totally wrong thinking...Isuzu is on their last legs,so be happy with what they give you.Their are variables as to condition,current shape,etc...You should not think of this as a big money win..In todays world some money is better than taking a junkyard $400 offer...Not sayin I totally agree,but you have to be realistic....The process took about 2-3 weeks for mine in Cleveland....Probably depends how many are being processed at any given time. Good luck!
    thanks for your response. they have actually been pretty fair with me so far. i haven't received a check yet, but what they are offering seems fair to me. sorry you have had bad luck.
    andigo
  • Brand new to the site. Can anyone give me the story on compensation for frame rust. I honestly don't know what's holding the back end together anymore it's so far gone. Any info is new info to me and much appreciated.
  • shaunoshauno Posts: 7
    Hey everyone, Finally after 17 months of waiting I settled with my Rodeo. I owned since new in August 2000 a Rodeo. The axle/arm came tearing off in March of 2010 while driving my 8 yr old daughter to school one morning going around 30-35 mph. Now, let's cut to the chase. Here's what they offered me, KBB value in good condition, about $2850. Saying it was an 11yr old car. I counter offered saying it sat in my driveway and the dealership lot for 17 months because they dragged their feet. When it broke it wasn't even 10 yrs old. Give me KBB on a 10yr old Rodeo, about $3600, they did, my nightmare was over, I got close to what it was worth.

I now own a new 2010 Honda Pilot, very happy with it. With two trips from Boston to Florida under its belt I can say it a great SUV. It averages 24-26+ mpg/hyway @55-60 mph. I just hope Honda learned it lesson from their Passport.

Good luck to all those still fighting and thanks to all that helped me.
  • lbennilbenni Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I got the recall notice back in Dec 2010, didn't really pay much attention to it cuz I never really had any problems with my SUV. Well got the second notice in September and figured I should get it to a dealership. I bought my SUV in Binghamton, NY when I lived there and then moved to NC about 2 years ago. Anyway took my car last Thursday to the dealership and warned them it was pretty bad cuz it had years of snow salt and all the good stuff. The guy from the dealership said no prob we can replace the frame if needed at no cost to you. I was like thats great, I was happy at that moment. The next day I get a call from the dealership Service Manager and was told they could not give me my car back till they heard back from Honda. Ummm WTH is what I thought, what I said was "oh ok. Can ya'll give me an idea of what is going on? Basically my underside, frame brackets and all are so rusted they were afraid to take the bolts off to see what was up. I call Friday to see if they heard anything get told I should hear from Honda on Monday. No call on Monday, I'm slightly irritated at this point cause I have had to borrow cars to get to work. Yes I did ask if they had loner cars and was told no we only rent them. So today I finally get a call from Honda, she tells me she is a mediator for Honda and they will buy my car back for kelly blue book fair market value good condition. Then tells me it will be done as if someone with knowlegde is buying the car. KY anyone. This is the kicker she says she needs a copy of my title and registration before she can tell me what the offer is. I made sure to remind her I bought this SuV because it was a Honda and was supposed to last a while and this mediator tells me well isusu built it. mmmm ponder. I also let her know I planed on having this car for 10 more years or more considering it only has 79000 mi on it. And she said again we are offering fair market value blah blah blah same as above. I am not a happy camper with Honda. I'm have tempted to go to the Honda dealership rent a car and have them pay for it. I already know if this had not happened I would have had my car for at least 10 more yrs, I bought it new off the lot to last. Was my first new vehicle that I owned. I'm really disapointed with Honda for a company with such a good reputation they don't seem to care about keeping it that way. So I guess I need to call a lawyer and let him deal with it.
    Have had the same exact experience. Am still in the process. They will not budge from fair market value. Very frustrated. I had gap insurance that was supposed to cover my loan in case of my car being totalled. When they found out Honda was involved, they figured they wouldn't have to pay. I am being reamed all around. Keep me abreast of what is happening in your case.
    andi
  • lbennilbenni Posts: 2
    Hey all... Well basically with honda you get offered fair market value and if it isn't enough they will happily have it towed back to u. Must be it costs more to fix then to pay you off. So I am going to take the money and try to find a new car by Friday because that is the day they are taking my renal away. Just from this experince with the people at Honda I will not recomend them to anyone and not buy one again for myself. I heard when Toyota did there recall they dealt really fairly with there customers, and am really surprised Honda isn't trying to do the same. I thought they would want to retain and make thier customers happy but oh well. Very dissaticfied with Honda. :(
  • I had a 99 Rodeo. Got notice back in early 2010. Put on list of things to do..... Was checking air in tire so decided to check it out under there and was able to poke my finger through the frame. Not a good feeling. Called 800 number and took it to a Hyundai dealership that was taking care of recall for Isuzu. They put it up on a lift and scraped a huge hole in frame on both sides where the recall supports are supposed to go. They sent pictures to Isuzu corporate office and they advised them someone would call me with an offer. I just left it at the dealership because of how bad it was. I didnt ask for a rental because I had a spare car although I think they owed it to me. They offered $4500 and I took it because I didnt want to drag it out. Two weeks later a third party came to town and I signed it over to them and got my check. Ironically I met her at a Toyota dealership because she was buying rusted Toyata trucks also. Mine had low miles for the Year. About 99 K. Just glad to get rid of a dangerous vehicle.
  • I am having the same problem with the ENTIRE frame being rusted. Any idea who I would call at Isuzu to talk to about this. If they wanna do a buy back - they can have it - at a reasonable price. We've already spent $600 getting the frame welded only to have the mechanic tell us that the entire frame and front end is rusted and it won't pass inspection. Why didn't they recall the entire frame instead of just the rearend ?? Please help !!! Does anyone have a number I can call ?
  • I have been trying to figure out WHO to get in touch with so I get results about my Rodeo's entire frame being rotted. Has 96000 miles on it. Had the recall fixed but still won't pass inspection due to entire frame. When I asked the facility that did the recall if they looked at the rest of the car they said they were only concentrating on the recall area. Paid $600 after that to have some of the rust fixed. Still won't pass inspection. WHO DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH TO GET RESULTS ??? HELP !!