Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    edited February 2010
    Wrong Gurlzylla,

Here for your pleasure are photos of a 2002 Isuzu Axiom

Perhaps the frames are from a 2001 "batch"?

Is this the same thing you all have seen? I've got tons more of these photos....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3293653/Axiom%20Rust.jpg
  • Hi Rodeorot, I am with you. I have done all that you have done, the certified letter to Derek Rinehardt, the NTHSA notification and opened a case with them. Contacted Honda, opened a case with them (as helpful as Isuzu, which was not at all). Let me know what else you need. I kept a folder of all the Car Complaints and Auto Beef posts that took place before I found Edmunds and stuck with Edmunds. I am also the one who posted The Rinehardt letter for all to use.
    My vehicle is a 1998, not sure why gurlzylla keeps saying 2002 is the first year, I believe the first year is 1997. My incident occurred 01/21/09.
    Saw my Passport's twin on the road yesterday, but had no way to contact the driver as he was not going the same way as I was. Just thought to myself, "please keep safe."
    Let me know if you need any of my info.
    Thanks.
  • I would be happy to tell my story about my near accident and the death of my Passport. Let me know what you need from me. I have everything saved on my computer or in a file.
    Thanks.
  • I just received this from DOT...

Thank you very much for the correspondence. Could please take 15 minutes to file a complaint with my office at www.safercar.gov . Once you have filed a complaint could you please send me the complaint ID (number) of your complaint. The more information we have on record as a formal complaint the better.

We are in the process of investigating these vehicle and have upgraded the investigation from a Preliminary Evaluation to an Engineering Analysis.....

I filed a report with them... I will get the media ball, rolling this weekend...
    I am acquainted with Susan Wornick...she was instrumental in breaking the Toyota issues so I am fairly confident that she will do something.

I'll figure out how to get a hold of you all soon...

Stay tuned!
  • I've done that. That's NHTSA. I think I actually have filed with them 3 times. If you go to their website and follow the instructions, the 1998 Honda Passport has several frame rust complaints, the first in 2008. Obviously I just looked for my vehicle and it's year. But I found it interesting that that complaints were from 1 year prior to my incident. And since yours just happened, and mine occurred 1 year ago, well, you see the pattern. But who looks for info like this unless there is an issue? No one.
    Again, let us all know what you need from us.
  • Here's the facebook page ...probably a good place to make contact...I suggest everyone join, unless there is a problem...
    I am moving fast on this so give me a heads up if I miss anything.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=187031801231&ref=search&sid=1637479541.283- 254114..1&v=info#!/group.php?gid=187031801231
  • Rodeorot:

The same thing happened to me on 2/10, I also got my from Showcase on the Cape. You can count me in on anything you need (pics, media interview, complaints filed, ect...) to get this ball up and running. My Rodeo looks like a 3yr vehicle from the top, but is junk underneath. As you pointed many of these cars are still being used and sold. "Time bombs" waiting to go off

shauno
  • rodeorotrodeorot Posts: 8
    I still need to figure out the best approach to get this info to the media.
    My concern is that due to the Toyota issues this may be perceived as trying to jump on the bandwagon and the problem may get downplayed
    My opinion is that it is as serious or more so than the frame issues Toyaota is having
    . I am going to try and assemble some kind of press release package I think.
    My suggestion is again to go to the facebook page and post your pictures there.
    feel free to contact me via that route.
    Has anyone had any feedback from Isuzu?
    I am thinking of trying to get a hold of the parent company. My guess is that they are pretty scared at the moment and may try some kind of preemptive damage control? Does anyone have contact info for Isuzu other than CA?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks Mr. XXXXXXX,

Would you mind if I shared the information you provided me with my contacts at Isuzu's safety office? In particular the pictures of you vehicle, your complaint you filed on NHTSA's website and the description of the incident you provided in your initial email to me.

Best Regards,

Derek L. Rinehardt
    Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
    U.S Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation, Vehicle Controls Division
    1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
    W48-219, NVS-213
    Washington, DC 20590
    Office: (202) 366-3642, (877) 536-8368 x63642
    Fax: (202) 366-1767
    Hi,

You may know we have done similar stories involving Toyota Tacomas and Tundra trucks...but yours is the first complaint we've received about these other models. Do you have documents from your repair shop about the problem and costs to repair? And if we do a story, will you do an interview with us?

Thank you for watching Channel 5.
    Jen
  • I'm wondering how many people dealing with this have vehicles that are still under the drivetrain warranty?
    I understand that the drivetrain warranty doesn't cover the frame but if a component that is under warranty (rear axil for instance) required replacement or repair and the vehicle didn't have enough frame left to bolt the new part on the car it would make it pretty hard for the dealer to comply with the terms of the warranty.

What made me think about it was the post above from somebody that said the rear axil shifted so much that they couldn't move the car forward without the tires grinding on the fender wells.

I know this doesn't solve anything but it occured to me that if a manufacturer warranties the drive train for 10 year or 120,000 miles it sort of implies that they expect the frame to last at least as long as the engine/transmission/etc. Seems like it makes their case pretty indefensible. Just thinking out loud. I'm the original owner of my Rodeo and it's still under factory drivetrain warranty. The frame hasn't rusted out yet but based on what I've been reading I suspect that it's headed that way.
    Rodeorot, I am confused by your last posting.

Did you post am email from Jen at Channel 5 (Boston)? Is she going to look at this thread? It won't take too much research for her to read back to the beginning of this thread and find a bunch of owners. I think there's at least 5 on this thread from massachusetts alone.

I have a receipt from Midway Isuzu in Natick stating the frame is rotted and unrepairable. When I spoke with the service manager over there he says that he has seen this quite a bit in the past and the only option they can offer is to replace the frame at $10K.

Just have her provide her phone # and info either here or on the FB page and we can all give her a call.

Thanks
    I even tried the calling Isuzu on their own Corrison warranty and they wouldn't budge. We had 85,000 miles on car. They told me this was for the exterior painted body only and NOT the frame...which is BS. You tell me where this statement excludes the frame? It doesn't!

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp

6-Year/100,000-Mile Perforation From Corrosion Limited Warranty
    Isuzu vehicles excel in a plethora of extreme conditions. Scouring salt air. Blistering desert heat. Corroding winter muck. No matter how abrasive the environment, you can feel confident your Isuzu vehicle will hold up. And to be sure, it's covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles against perforation from corrosion.
    With all the news about the lack of action by our government...Who wants to report the LACK of ACTION BY NHSTA as a case in point of the lack of them to do or take any action on this problem?
  • Hello everyone sorry I haven't posted anything lately. But we had alot of snow and I was unable to get the pictures I needed of my death trap Izuzu Rodeo. But I now have the pictures of the rust and broken sway bar.

The pictures are totally shocking! The frame of my car looks alot like Rodeorot's. It's sad that the outside of my car is beautiful but you look underneath it and you can't believe you were driving around in something so dangerous! :-(
  • howardru-

I was only following up on the Rodeo- didn't think to look at the Axiom. Thanks for sharing the photos!
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Posts: 16
    ok......is this issue going any place - people are getting into accidents, cars are sitting in driveways - can anyone help
  • shaunoshauno Posts: 7
    Hey Rodeorot,

I got your posting, it looks like things are starting to SLOWLY move foward. Did you want me to contact this "Jen" @ch 5? I not sure what you would like & don't want to step on any toes. But I want this thing (the Rodeo) out of my driveway. I feel as if I have been used by Isuzu because of their response to the whole thing.
    I'm just trying to stay in the loop, let me know what to do.

Shauno

ps; .
    I sent a note to Channel 5 Consumer Advocate last week. The email was to Jen and she copied Susan Wornick. I got the same chain mail letter back from Jen as was posted by Rodeorot. I indicated that this seemed to be the exact same response I saw posted here and asked if anyone would call or contact me, and it went dark. No response from anyone.

I had also sent a note to WHDH Channel 7 consumer advocate and never heard anything back. Help me Hank, must be out helping someone else!
    Bostons Channel Five are sending a crew to do an interview with me and Susan Wornick on the 26th.
    If anyone has any notifications from Isuzu or invoices etc. from repair shops or insurance company saying the vehicle is totaled, can you get in touch with me...use the facebook contacts. I am still waiting to hear from Isuzu.
    I would like to give the media a list of owners in this area but I need your permission to give them this info even just your first name and town you live in...
    can you get a hold of me via facebook?
  • marinakymarinaky Posts: 64
    Information sent to Jen as you requested. My husband bought a 1998 Rodeo last week. It is a parted out vehicle, no engine, no tranny, stripped interior. BUT, the frame is perfect, and it is a 2 wheel drive. So, my question is this, are all the affected vehicles 4 wheel drives? Mine is a 4 wheel drive. He and my son are going to do a frame swap, so we will have the entire rusted frame to take photos of once the job is started. May be a 1-2 month project, but I am fortunate that they can do this. Cost $250.00 for the vehicle. Cost of repair, who knows since my guys are doing it. I have heard of costs up to $8000 for the same job through a garage, and since they are not worth that much, it is not prudent to go that way.
    Back to the question, are all affected vehicles 4 wheel drives?
    I will try to set up an facebook account to touch base w/you. The most direct/faster means would be at c/o "woodisgood@hotmail.com. I'm planning on sending mine to a local repair shop for a quote once the ball got rolling.
  • bobi74bobi74 Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    The same thing happened to me here in London, Ontario just yesterday with my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. I heard a clunk and I felt the back end of the car start swaying back and forth. I got out of the car and looked under to my surprise saw that the stabilizer bar had broken off due to rust, the other side is rotten as well but hasn't fallen off yet. Just a year and a half ago I had to replace my engine with a used one that burns about a litre of oil a week. Have you heard of any recalls or any sort of compensation for the rust problem or even the engine?
    I can't say anything, except stay tuned
    edited March 2010
    I just finished being interviewed by Susan Wornick from Bostons Channel five.
    Feel free to email your story to her assistant Sarah.
    Hopefully this will get aired and get the ball rolling.

Here is her address...

sstolper@hearst.com
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Posts: 16
    How did your interview go???? I did speak with the Safety Board in DC last week - hopefully things will begin to move along.
    When will the interview be aired? Will we be able to see it? Since I am from Kentucky, it obviously won't be aired locally. Is there a link to view it? Thanks for what you are doing.
    No idea when it will air... I don't know if I am going to be able to watch it!
    for those of you who aren't familiar with Susan Wornick,
    tenacious is an understatement!
    I think she may want to talk to a few more people before getting it put together.
    I'll post a link to it when it comes out.
    In the meantime... keep plugging away with your local media as well as Isuzu and NHTSA. I have also been thinking perhaps the Honda route may be a good one...They are really pushing safety and longevity in their ads. Isuzu is essentially all done with their light vehicle division in this country, but a Honda recall/lawsuit would really help get Isuzu back in the picture... I did try to emphasize that in my interview but it depends on how it gets edited...
  • doestedoeste Posts: 1
    My name is Doug and i aslo own a 2001 isuzu rodeo 4 door 4x4 with 127,000 miles on it with the same frame rust problem. i live in warminster PA. I was driving last night and everytime i pressed on the gas the rear end of the rodeo would shift from side to side. it wasn't until i heard a grinding noise from under the truck that made me pull off the road. i looked under and found the frame rail under the driver side rear door was rusted away. I could stick my hand in the holes. i found that the traction bar connection rusted away from the frame. i am in the process of finding out what to do next. if you have any info that can help me please let me know as soon as possible. please contact me at dpoeste@hotmail.com with anything information or anything i can do to help. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    please contact me at...

People prefer to keep the conversation here. That way everyone benefits.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I did contact Honda America back in 2009 after my Passport rusted and nearly wrecked. They were no help. If you go back through my Edmund posts, to the very early ones, you will see the phone # for Honda, along with the names of the people I spoke to, Tony Lopez and Brian Philbin, with their extension #. They denied any liability, warranty, or responsibility. Basically, too bad, so sad was their take on my situation.