Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Shakes

2»

Comments

• vicframevicframe Posts: 1
    We've had the exact same thing happen on a 2004 CRV. The shake/wobble/vibration did not go away until both front axles were replaced with OEM axles. We tried two sets of brand new aftermarket axles (two different brands) & they either did nothing or they made the problem worse. We're just wondering if your vehicle had ever been in a collision or hit a curb etc.? The one we were working on had been rear ended & when we looked at the transmission & engine mounts, they had shifted causing the engine & transmission to shift - wondering if this could have caused the axle to prematurely wear out? By the way, thanks for the posts as you helped us! :)
  • dps4dps4 Posts: 11
    Hi! I'm glad my posts helped you out... although I wish we both could have found a less expensive solution. To answer your question... I don't think so. We are the original owners of this CRV and it has not had any kind of collision or other trauma that we know of. However, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I am still a little bit suspicious of that tire rotation at Jiffy Lube. When I first requested that they rotate the tires, I was told by one mechanic that something about their lift would not allow them to perform that service on my vehicle. A few minutes later, his mind was changed by another guy who said something to the effect of "we'll make it work". Because I started noticing these symptoms shortly after that visit, I can't help but wonder exactly what they did to "make it work". To be fair, this is only a suspicion on my part. I am definitely not a mechanic, and none of the real mechanics who have looked at this vehicle have found proof that any damage was done during that visit.
  • Hi

I own a 97 honda crv with 154000km and noticed the same shake. Its happens when i accelerate from 30km after about 45km it kinda stops then it comes back at 115kph. Please let me know if it was the same problem..

Thanks
    That doesn't really sound like the same thing to me. Mine was directly related to how hard the engine was pushing to turn the axles. So it was most noticeable the moment I pressed the accelerator from a stop and it would go away when I reached a constant speed - regardless of what that speed might be.

If yours is shaking inside specific speed ranges, I would suspect balancing or some other tire-related issue.
    UPDATE #2

As mentioned earlier, the configuration with the dealer axle on the right and the aftermarket axle on the left significantly reduced the shaking but did not completely eliminate it. Since then, the small remaining wobble has gotten worse to the point where the vehicle became nearly undriveable last week. I brought it back to our mechanic who found that the left axle was shot and also that the previously mentioned transmission mount was completely broken as was a 2nd engine mount. They said that the broken mounts were allowing the engine to move several inches which probably contributed to the axle failure. So they replaced the axle with a dealer part and replaced the mounts. Now I'm $1400 poorer, but I'm happy to say that the vehicle feels right for the first time in two years.

What I don't know is which came first... the bad axle or the torn mount. I suspect that the two problems fed off each other. The more the axle shook the engine, the worse the mount got... and the worse the mount got, the more stress was put on the axle.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Interesting read. I let only the Honda dealer touch my car, including oil changes and state inspections. If they break it:They bought it. .02.
  • jcihakjcihak Posts: 60
    Honda dealers are independent contractors. They are no more obligated to repair anything they damage than any other independent garage.
  • My mechanic put it on a hoist took the tires off and i put it in drive and the shake is more extreme and the shake is very noticeable without the resistance of the road but we put it to neutral and rev the engine no shake so its not the engine. we also took the drive shaft off the connects to the back and doesn't change anything. we have changed the engine torque mount already. both cv shafts have been changed but with aftermarket ones. Transmission, diff fliuds changed. tires balanced.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    edited October 2010
    Well, that would definitely rule out tire issues...

Given my experience, I would strongly suspect those aftermarket axles. But with no load it's hard to imagine that they could be causing a noticeable problem. The only other thing I can think of would be something inside the transmission.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm not a mechanic... so this may be a completely stupid idea... but maybe you could remove the axles and try the same test again? If the shake goes away there's a pretty good chance that a $1600 pair of OEM axles will do the trick.
  • bill_swbill_sw Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2007 CRV from a non-honda dealer. At speeds above 60mph, it occasionally feels like the rear wheels are going to come off (obviously they are not). I had the dealer look at it and they were not able to duplicate it. It continues to happen. Has anyone experienced the same issue? I purchased the extended warranty, so I just need to be able to speak competently about the problem when I go back in. Thanks
  • I have a 2003 CR-V I've had it since it was new. I've always taken it to the dealer for all work needed to be done not always right on time but close. Three weeks ago I had to take it in for its 110k service. The first tune up and four wheel drive service. Because of a transfer at work I took it to a new to me dealer. They took the car in and dropped me off at work. I got the car back later that day and gave them about 600.00 dollars. I live about 50 miles from work, all highway. That night as soon as I started to get to highway speed 55 plus the car started shacking so bad I thought that I was loosing a wheel. I pulled over and checked all the wheels and they where all good. I went on home and returned the next day. Now Three weeks later I still have not received my car back and they finally told me last night that they can fix it for 1700.00 dollars. They told me that I have bad front axles,wheel bearings ,trans mount and axle seals. I'm not perfect but the car is well maintained. How does all of this go bad in eight hours while having regular service done? Back up a little, they called me the first day it was in for service and told me that they had to do something called burnishing to the clutches in the transfer case. I'm fair I will pay to have the car fixed. I'm also not stupid I would like someone to tell me how it just happens. I to was told that at first it was the wheels and tires on the car. Funny I work for the largest independant wheel and tire dealer in the world. So I took that set off and put on the factory set and the car responded the same way. The dealer also put on two other sets off of cars they have on the lot and it acted the same. My 01 Odyssey with 140k miles on her has never had bad drive shafts as well as my 93 Del Sol Si that had 120k own it. In family we have a total of eight Honda's from a few thousand to over 200k miles and none have ever had this problem. Sorry to vent, just want some one to give me a explination other than it is coincedence. Thats what American Honda told me today on the phone.
  • Nonsense.
    I've noticed in the past 2 years that the 'shimmy' in my CRV has gotten worse. Not the ASA certified mechanic at the Honda Dealers, the mechanics at the local independent dealers nor the back yard mechanics can tell me what the issue is with this car. I have had the front/rear aligned, the transmission fluid flushed twice, tires replaced twice and it's getting to the point that I'm ready to trade this POS in. It has a noticable shimmy just before shifting into gear and a hard jerk if you slow down then quickly accelerate in traffic.
    Any advice? Otherwise I'm giving up on her and trading her in.
    2007 Honda CRV EX-L
    105,000 miles all highway - long daily commutes with little sit in traffic time.
    No accidents
    Serviced regularly :confuse:
2»