Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part X

mznmzn Posts: 727
edited March 11 in Ford
ZX3 spoken here...

To catch up on the storyline, please click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    zgrrrl, the offer still stands on my old pads. Just let me know if you want them. As I said, if the dealer offers brand new ones at no charge to you, take 'em! No point in installing my pads if the dealer is just trying to duck their responsibility - they need to make you happy.

rgarner, I agree, your dealer should check for any fault codes set in your engine management computer. An intermittent fault like yours can be a real hair-puller, but that's what the service folks get paid for. I'll bet it comes down to a bad connection or defective control unit affecting either ignition or fuel injection.
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Posts: 516
    The noise you hear when coasting in gear is, I think, your injectors popping. Normal.

Washing: If your going to use "Super Good" wax for the first time, remove the old dealer wax by washing the car with Dawn liquid Dish Soap.

Don't need a duster as the dust blows of my ZX3 while going down the road. Gotta use a anti-static polish. IMHO it's the only way to go!

Oh, ZX3 : The bumps on steering wheel. Something you learn while driving off road (many thanks to the US Army and a couple of other jobs I've held). If you wrap your thumbs around inside of steering wheel, it's very possible to break them.

Pat
  • rathstarrathstar Posts: 12
    Well, I put the k&n filter back in a week ago, and the engine light didn't come on... so i guess it was a 'fluke'...

(rs)
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Posts: 99
    > Has anyone actually seen a yellow ZX3?

Not yet, but being a bit impulsive, I've had one on order since May 12. I hope to get it in a few weeks.

>The zinc yellow for the ZX-2 is a bit of an odd color, but I have heard the zx-3 yellow is much more lemony in nature.

I would assume Zinc Yellow, code B7, would be the same on any Ford. I hope so anyway because there is a Zinc Yellow ZX2 at my local dealers right now, and it makes me hot!

An odd color for an odd fella I guess.

>Is it a 2001 MY option or is it available in 2000 MY.

It's been available for a couple of months now, but wasn't originally. For 2001 it becomes "Egg Yoke Yellow" but with the same B7 color code. I'm guessing it's a renaming of the color for the Focus. Some have said Ford calls the same color by different names for different models. I would guess the code would be the key.

One thing I noticed on the ZX2 was the red badging. Against the Yellow it looks terrific - to odd ole me.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Posts: 661
    jw-would you describle that egg yolk color to have a hint of orange in it? its not like the canary yellow vw bug or is it? i have seen the yellow mustangs,depending on way natural light hits it,
    (the car surface) it renders a slight pale orange cast.
  • zx3zx3 Posts: 167
    zx3beast:
    Thanks. I never noticed till this morning the "2 & 10 O'clock" grips on steering wheel. And I only noticed them because I was trying to figure out ND's post.
    Yup, the z is running like a charm. Hope yours is too.
    I feel almost guilty when I read here about occasional little "z problems" (glad to hear they're not big ones) because mine has no flaws yet (900mi).
    NOTE: I don't list the occasional "slight hesitation" in 2k-3k range as a flaw. Because most everyone else seems to have it too.
    Maybe its a design flaw. Or maybe its deliberate for "fuel economy reasons" as someone said (but that sounds like a kinda wierd reason to me).

P/C:
    Thanks for clarification. Also, for heads-up on the "broken thumb" possibility. Never occured to me that such can happen.

S/B:
    Thanks for paint info. Yup, the Body shop guy does mostly painting of repairs, not totally-new paint jobs. And warns customers about leaving things alone till paint cures.
    An aside: He does total paint jobs too, when he restores old clunkers to new (sort of a hobby).

I think I missed someone, but it'd be a hassle to find out who, since Carlady has put us in a new thread. So... "Thanks!".
    zx3
    zx3- i have tried to figure why this happens.not
    out of concern but more out of curiosity. i was
    fully aware of this when i had my 5spd.1998 zx2.
    i have tried this-when you reach that point about
    1900 to 2000 or thereabouts,i have let up the gas pedal then re-accelerate. it appears to be less
    noticeable or non-existant.if you steadily accelerate without letting up the gas,you will
    most definitely notice the hesitation ,stumble,
    then surge. give it try and let me know what you think,thanks! how can one not love this car?
  • silverzx3silverzx3 Posts: 40
    The little gas pump next to your gas gauge has an arrow that points to the right, the side your gas tank is filled on, how clever!

I like the California duster I have a small one for the interior and a large one for the outside.

I also have a synthetic chamios called the Absorbor. You keep it in its own tube, it always stays moist. Works amazingly well @ Walmart for under $10.00

The overfilled oil is still a problem. I have my first oil overfill in December. My solution I only give them four quarts to install (Mobil one) I put the 1/2 quart in myself.

I have a very bad habit of driving with my left hand at the one o'clock position and my forearm accross the wheel (long arms). Another reason for the 2 & 10 o'clock position is for the airbags to deploy safe and correctly. I will be in a world of hurt if the airbag goes off with my forearm accross the airbag.

Break my own nose with my fist flying off the wheel?

I have stayed away from wheel cleaners they all have a very acidic base. I use car washing soap (Meguiars) about once a week. I take my time and go over the whole wheel. Staying on top of it makes it an easier job, waxing them also helps. A friend uses petroleum jelly to remove the brake dust with very good results.

Scott
    Last nite I said, "I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and post results......".

I have crummy white streaks, all over my Black Plastic Trim. Put there by accident, when waxing the z.
    Dang stuff is on, like a rock!

I tried using fresh wax to remove it, rubbing it in vigorously. Then wiping vigorously with terry towel while it was still wet.
    Figuring, that the new wax might "melt/soften" the old, and I could wipe it all off with terry cloth.
    Result: No dice, it had little effect.

Today, I dabbed finger in a jar of Skippy peanut butter --- and smeared it lightly over a big piece of black trim (that was real bad, all cruddied-up, with old wax stains).
    Then rubbed it lightly with clean terry towel.
    Voila !!
    The crummy old white "wax-stains" .... dissolved and disappeared (under the attack of the peanut butter Oil).
    The Trim is now totally-black again. Factory-new, gleaming with a soft sheen.
    No hard work, no heavy rubbing, cost no $$, and the job went like a piece o'cake.
    Wow.
    So I went back inside, and celebrated with peanut-butter, crackers n' milk......(Hmmm, tasty).
    zx3
    zx3- i would take it you would not recommend the
    chunky-syle peanut butter?
    silverzx3- i also have found that most wheel cleaners seem to be harsh as well. the acidic base of most would tend to eat away at painted wheel surface. mild soap or simple green(diluted) works
    well.chamois is great for drying vehicle.thats all i ever use.worth every penny.petroleum jelly seems
    to be a good idea.
  • njzx3njzx3 Posts: 170
    well,
    it's been a little over a month now since I ordered my Z, and I gotta tell you... reading all these posts from you guys is doing 2 things to me... it's making me more and more excited about gettin my car, but it's also driving me insane reading about how great the car is but not having mine yet... this wait is seemingly endless!!

zx3: good deaql with the peanut butter... i'll have to keep that in mind fer when i wax my baby for the first time.

I just cant tell you all how envious I am of all of you who already have your Z's... i feel like a little kid staring into the window of a toy store that has a locked door while everyone else is inside havin fun... is there anyone i can call to find out the progress of my car? i have the VIN but thats all.

kevin
    another thing,

I was up in new hampshire visiting my girlfriend this past weekend and i saw a Z drive by and it had what looked like a wing type thing an the front of the roof just above the windshield... kind of like a wind-blocker for a sun-roof... it looked incredible. does anyone know where I could get that?
    The chunky, is not my cup of tea. Sticks in yer teeth.
    BTW, that peanut-butter post was not a joke. Peanut butter really worked. It erased all traces of wax-stains from exterior plastic and vinyl trim on my z.
    Also, when it happens again, I'll try to stop that hesitation, by using the gas pedal as you suggested -- and let you know. Thanks.
    zx3
  • silverzx3silverzx3 Posts: 40
    on my paint. I wonder if jelly will take it off?

Just having fun, no flame intended, I plan on trying the P/B thing myself for my few misplaced wax smears.

obviously we need to be careful, i'm sure P/B also takes the wax off your freshly waxed paint.

Just trying to be pro-active I am almost certain the next question would be of this nature.
    Even tho you don't have it yet, you're "in the club".... Welcome!
    BTW, what did you get for options?
    Also, maybe someone here can help you find where your z is (in the Assy Plant schedule) since you have a VIN.
    zx3
    Silver, it never occured to me the peanut butter oil might effect the wax on the paint. I doubt it, but I'll watch.
    I wonder if the p/b would restore a dull dashboard, or interior door trim? It's a thought. I think about this, because the exterior plastic trim had a "nice soft sheen" on it, apparently from the p/butter oil.
    zx3
    zx3: i got:

Twilight Blue exterior

Dark Charcoal interrior

Auto Trans (i love drivin manual, but it sux in all the NJ/new york city traffic)

Air Conditioning

Convenience Group 50c (tilt/telescope steering and map lights

Power Group 60a (power windows/mirrors)

Anti Lock Brakes

Remote Keyless Entry/Power Locks

Front/Rear Floor Mats

Speed Control

and the ever so necessary SMOKERS PACKAGE!! lol
    I was told that I should not go over 60mph for a while after i get my Z... how long does it take to get it to a safe point that i can realy push it and see what my Z will be able to do?
  • segacidesegacide Posts: 15
    Why not just rub in PEANUT OIL? It's a heck of a lot easier to use, and since everyone seems to think that it's the oil in the peanut butter, why not use just the oil?
This discussion has been closed.