Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part X

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Sorry so many of you have had bad "working under the car" experiences. My 30 year "no accident" record can be attributed to one thing - never get under a car supported only by a jack. Proper use of quality ramps or jack stands together with some common sense is the ticket. When I elevate a car, I test the stability by pushing and pulling until I'm convinced it's staying put - then I'll get under it.

Electronic rust prevention devices are commonplace on steel offshore drilling platforms, for obvious reasons. You also see conductors attached to large blocks of metal (I believe zinc bars!) that serve as sacrificial anodes - meaning these blocks are more willing to exchange electrons than the platform's steel, so the steel oxidizes very slowly, if at all. I remember seeing a company advertising their electronic rust prevention device in the BMW Club magazine several years ago, but I haven't seen it for awhile. Rusty cars in my area are almost unheard of, unless they belong to snowbelt escapees :), so I haven't paid much attention to this technology. Thank goodness I gave up British cars years ago; my rust paranoia disappeared at about the same time.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    Zinc is the white stuff lifeguards put on thier noses. If you've been to the beach in a while you may have noticed that it comes in lots of other bright colors now, including a very nice yellow. THe zinc yellow will look fantastic on the ZX3, that's what I would have gotten if it had been offered before I got mine (autumn orange.) I'm GLAD that the yellow has no orange cast, if it did it would look like a school bus or the lines on the road!

Although it has nothing to do with a paint color, I'm a HUGE believer in the zinc galvanized body panels. My old isuzu truck (an 85) was rusting through in several places after maybe 4 or 5 years. My "new" one, a 1990, had the galvanized treatment, I could see it where the thing had been shot with a bb in a few places, down to bare metal. Those spots NEVER got even the faintest hint of rust, and neither did the rest of the body of the truck, only the bumper. Now if they could only make an engine for those trucks that would go more than 120,000 miles without completely dying...

Well, I'm glad I have my ZX3!
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    Whomever said they thought it looked like a pale yellow would be correct. (Unless they mismatched the name w/ the color.)

I found a few colorcharts but they certainly don't do the color justice. To me zinc yellow has a very fresh, clean look.

pretty close...
    Webdesigner's color chart:
    http://www.visibone.com/color/poster4x.html (look in the yellows for FFFF66) this is real close)(this would be third down, on the the right edge, in the yellow group)

color tables:
    http://www.2000-art.com/AcademyOils2.html
    (bottom right)

http://www.2000-art.com/shop/media/LiquitexYellows2.gif
    (pretty close to the Yellow Light Hansa)

Color wheel:
    http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/jpg.htg/RCW600x600.png
    (near the outer edge at #1)

whoa, almost got carried away there ;)
    (I used to be heavy in the computer graphic/commercial art thing)

cheers,
    Gabe
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    hmm, now that I've had another look at the color table at that first link. I think zinc yellow is between FFFF66 and FFFF99.....

Gabe
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    This whole zince conversation is really cracking me up.

There was a darker yellow (the VW Bug kind, not the pale zince) outside one of the dealers I pass on my way to work. They had it out front, then it was gone so I assumed they sold it, but it was back out front this morning.

It really does look neat and certainly stands out. I just don't like to be that noticable to local law enforcement when I drive.

But to those who do have it/have chosen it, congrats. It looks pretty damn sporty. :)
    An FYI, I have NO idea why I have a "e" on the end of zinc, I KNOW it's not spelled that way. Yes, it's a typo.

I'd like to clarify before anyone keeps me the same 35,000 RPM typo hassle :)
  • bstreckebstrecke Member Posts: 5
    you mean i've trying to get my car up to 35,000 RPM for nothing?? i could only get it to hold around 13,000.
    Thanks, I've never heard THAT before.
    Personally, all this talk of zinc yellow has me feeling a bit green around the gills. I'm red-y to talk about some more black and white issues, and stop feeling blue about my color choice. Truth be told, I bought CD Silver because it was my first choice.

Re: your brakes and alignment, don't get stressed out about it - just have the dealer check it out. Road crown does cause a drift to the right... that's normal. Your brakes really should be quiet. Ford pads are very soft and produce a lot of dust, but they are very quiet as well. Yours may have been glazed by some over-exuberant stops before they had a chance to bed in fully. You can either replace glazed pads, or roughen up the glazed surface of the pad with medium grit sandpaper on a piece of plate glass.
    You feel blue about your color choice? Naaah. I loved silver too, that was my first and almost didn't get it. I love the way it looks, my only concern was the visability issue. I try to keep my lights on just for a bit of peace of mind.

I thought at first it was a "color myth" but it was pretty gray and rainy here the first few days I had it, and a big old SUV started through the intersection but stopped once it finally saw me. (no lights on at that time). So this kinda made me feel it is a factor.

But it still looks great. Really shows off the design well, I think.

thanks for the brake advice. I really look forward to reading your posts and the rest from you very helpful people. We'll know tomorrow how it turns out! I'll keep you posted!
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    gabegarwick - Thanks for the color chart links!

tickbitty - A great new name for the color ... "Lifeguard Nose Yellow"
    I love yellow vehicles, but prefer a "bolder" yellow - not the "Post-It Note" yellow you see on New Beetles. The yellow used on new Corvettes is dynamite - GM calls it Millenium Yellow. I still miss my last motorcycle, a wonderful yellow, black, and carbon fiber Triumph Daytona Super III. Sigh...
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. I've been following this group for a while now and have enjoyed it very much. I am considering buying a 2001 zx3 within the next 6 months or so. Has anyone purchased a zx3 with standard transmission and speed control, or does speed control (cruise control, I guess) only apply to automatic vehicles? I have never seen this feature on a standard, but have appreciated it on automatics that I have rented.
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Sorry...had to get the word "zinc" into the subject line somehow.

Anyway, I have a manual tranny (wouldn't go any other way, personally) and cruise. It works just great. The only hindrance is if you're on a hilly stretch. ATs with cruise will downshift for you to maintain speed on a hill. The manual with cruise will just cut out if it can't maintain speed in it's current gear (usually 5th). Tis has only happened to me once, and I was going over a mountain pass, so it was no big deal.

Cruise isgreat for long trips, and it works wonderfully with the ZX3. I highly recommend it.
    Yep, its out there. Manual/cruise. I test drove a 5 speed with crusie, it was great -- didn't try it over hills or mountains-- not many mmountains in IL to test drive on :)

I wanted that particular car, but it wasn't the right color had too many other features I didn't want with it as well. So, I had them search and search and search for a 5spd with tilt/tele and speed control. It was NO WHERE to be found (they sold the one I test drove too!)

So, your best bet of course, is to order your Z with exactly what you want if you can wait (i couldn't It's the one thing I do miss on my Z.

But wasnt there a speed control recall? Not trying to cause panic or start rumors...but I thought that's what I read (i think)
  • njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    until the completion date of my Z... im guessing another 2 weeks after that for shipping? How long should it take to get my Z here from Mexico if it is completed on the 8th?
    Two weeks sounds reasonable, but, like I said before, it's really out of the hands of the dealership once it's on the train.

In Washington we have a law that once it arrives in the holding station, it must be moved within 72 hours. I imagine most states have similar laws, but who knows...

Good luck!
    thanks fer the info. I sure hope that it gets here soon... $650/month fer a rental car is realy eatin a hole in my wallet!!
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    ...from all the color discussion! The yellow IS a nice color, though I'm still happy with my RF Green. Went up to Philly last weekend to see my brother and his new black ZX3. I had a great time pointing out all the features he hadn't discovered yet. He is very pleased with it. The cool thing was that I got to be a backseat passenger, making that the first time I'd sat in the back. I was very surprised at how much room there is back there. My legs weren't cramped at all, and I'm a pretty tall girl (5'8"). Anyone who hasn't yet ridden in the back should definitely get a friend to drive you around for a few minutes. I know, I know, that means relinquishing your keys for a little while!

As a non sequitur... I really enjoy everyone on this board. There are some definite comedians here who appeal to my off-center sense of humor. Happy z-ing, everyone!

P.S. Anyone else enveloped in body-draining humidity yet? Richmond is AWFUL!
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Getting ready to get my daily 26 miles on the bike this evening and trying to enjoy the lack of humidity here in Philly, but, I know it is on it's way from Richmond on Monday.
    Into each life some sweat must fall? Or is that drip?
    I hear ya on the humidity thing... NJ has been rediculously hot and humid all week... every other day we get rain then it clears up and it gets super humid... AHHH the joys of air conditioning.

On the back seat note. One of the times i went for a test drive (i went for many) I kinda did a test ride... the dealer drove and i sat in the back. you are right, I'm 6'0" and i was rather comfy back there... but since i did it once, i'll nbever have to give up my keys and hit the back... that is unless im out at a club and im not the DD fer that night...

You mentioned that you pointed out features that your brother had not yet noticed... such as? im curious since my Z is still on order, I have not been able to realy pick out the fun little things

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Z

Kevin
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Results indicate that upon a side collision, rear seat passengers only have a fair chance of survival.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2000Cmpt.html

ND

PS: I consider a zx-3 is a 2 passenger car.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    i agree,have them lay in the back seat
    Just dry, sunny, and pleasant.

I've only used my AC twice in 3 months =]
    ...when it's not raining.
    well... at least i'll most likely survive in the drivers seat =)
    I knew I had a reason for posting the above , but only now remember what it was...:>o
    I noticed on the Kona edition bike racks.
    Are they permanent?
    Is it easier to throw the bike on top of the rack as opposed to doing the hatch thing, back seats down?
    Can the kona rack be purchased by us non-Kona owners?
    Looks like it will not interfere with a sun/moon roof.
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    I ordered my Zinker back on May 12th. I just got word on my delivery date today. It's August 14th - Plus or minus two weeks. That is it's scheduled for the week of the 14th, but it can get here (upstate NY) up to 2 weeks before :) or after :{ that.

Three months! I guess they are busy down there. Perhaps it's due to the odd color?

I'm glad I'm not doing the rental thing. My old car is paid off and running well. I'm making "pretend" payments on the ZX3 to my savings account. If the delays keep up, I'll be able to pay cash for it by the time it gets here.
    i wish i could do the same thing with the imaginary payments, but since this is my first car ever, i gotta do the rental thing, and trust me, I dont like it one bit... got a piece of crap car that i could have probably bought for the price im payin to rent it... you gotta get us pics of yer zinc when it comes in!!

kevin
    jw - if you have to wait any longer,maybe they'll
    throw in the kitchen ......zinc.
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    N/D... I didn't know all modern cars are zinc-dipped. That is singularly "good news" as I live in Rust Belt. Thank you.
    BTW, someone should talk to Suzuki/GMC, mfrs of Geo Tracker. I've walked around 3 Trackers parked in Mall. Two have rusted rear fender joints (where fender joins body) and also, rusted body panel joints (just above rear bumper). Not heavy rust yet, but definitely growing.
    zx3
    LOL......heh, heh....chuckle, chuckle.....
    zx3
    The big "Yellow Zinc Epidemic" on this Forum iz getting out of hand -- is now spreading into the Insect Kingdom ......
    I saw a bright ZincYellow "VW-New Beetle" screaming down Rte-1 (talk about yellow, that thing izz Yellow!!) .... with a flock of Bumble Bee's in hot pursuit (they thought it wuz a flower!) ....driver looked kinda dezperate !!....
    MORAL:
    Let this be fair Warning to all who are thinking of ordering a Yellow Z.
    zx3
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Have there been any announcements on changes and new features on 2001 models? Will there be a moon roof available, new colors etc?

Can mountain bikes fit inside with the seats folded down or do you need a roof top carrier to transport adult bikes? Is this true of both the hatch and the sedan?
  • fingerfinger Member Posts: 1
    I've had a blue Hatchback for 3 mos. 3000 miles
    and loving every mile.After reading about the oil overfill many times I warned my service department not to overfill. He laughed and said "don't worry, we do this all the time". When I picked the car up I checked the oil and it was too full. They apologized and drained the extra. I was told by the service manager that there is a reserve take up and there could be no damage from overfill. In fact he said it could hold up to 8 quarts with no problem. Anybody have a comment on this?
    i think that service manager is running a few quarts short.
    I think he must have inhaled too much Zinc!! Or brake dust. Or oil fumes....
  • zx3guyzx3guy Member Posts: 9
    Hey folks,

I've posted a pic of a Zinc Yellow ZX3 here:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/fordfocusplace

It's in the photos section under "More Members' Focus". It's not the greatest shot in the world, but I'll be sure to post more pics when my Zinc beastie arrives next week. *grin*
    Ok, so I've been talking about it all week. Just got my car last Sat. I now have 1055 miles on it. Brought it in for the first oil change this morning.

The cashier said it didn't really need to be changed til 3000 (again) and (again) I told her I believe it's a crucial part of the breaking in process, I'd like to have it dont anyway. Oh, and please, only 4.5 Quarts of oil. There's been an overfill problem, so I've heard. She says "the guys will know...." I asked please let them know only 4.5. (she furiously scribbled it on the order).

The brakes? Well, according to the cashier who "sees these tickets every day" the brake noise is normal. yes, she said, they took it for a test drive, and yes they looked at them, and they are normalbecause they are metallic brakes. I told her it is not normal, it is a brand new car, I've been easy on the brakes and it should not happen EVERY time I brake. So, the mechanic goes on a test drive with me. He said he originally didn't hear anything -- which makes me wonder if they even did take it out or for how long - because the first time I stopped, there was the noise.

He tells me it's normal, a ton of Foci have come in with the same problem, it MAY or MAY NOT go away. Ford Motor Company is not going to pay for new pads because 'there is no problem' Ford considers it normal to have this noise. If they are replaced the dealership is going to have to eat the cost, I will have to talk to the service manager on Monday. So I guess the brake portion of the story is to be continued....

The good news is, they only put in 4.5 Quarts of oil, per my request. Errr, at least I think they did (says on the receipt) But I checked the oil and to be honest, I can't tell. The damn oil is too clean. I've always had old cars where it seemed even if there was brand new oil in the car it was easier to read it. And trust me, on my old cars, I've had to check the oil constantly, so I (at least thought) I know how to do it.

And when it comes to the cashier, I am not bashing her in any way. I've said before, I've worked in the service dept. of a dealership before (taking appts and reception) I KNOW how people get over their cars, and no matter what *I* thought, I'd always let them speak to the service rep or mechanic or manaager.

And on a side note, I gotta get running 'cause I just dropped 30 bucks on the "gee I've got a shiny new car - gotta have everything" car care kit. It'a great day.

Later all :)
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet

Silverzx3 you didn't give us a chance to answer your riddle. It was a gimme.
    Is it ok to use Rain-X on the windsheild?
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    well i just got back from one of my local ford dealers and i got some of the scoop on the 2001 ZX3s (i am thinking of trading in my 2000 SE sedan for one)... and i saw with my own two eyes a Zinc Yellow ZX3!!!!! Some Milwaukeean will be very happy I am sure.

OK, here is the basics for 2001. This info is directly from a 2001 Ford order book, so if anyone needs the actual order #s feel free to email me. (Sorry this is a long post)

First the colors. As we all know "Egg Yolk (Zinc) Yellow Clearcoat" is new. It is the same yellow as the Mustang and Cougar. The other new color is "Jackpot Gold Clearcoat Metallic". This is an all new color for 2001 for Ford. I saw the chip in the order book and the best way to explain it is that it looks like the Futura Yellow VW offers on the GTI. It is a deep,dark yellow metallic, I think it will be a good color! In 2001 there will no longer be "Autumn Orange".

Now for the options- for MY 2001. There is a new option pkg- Premium Group. It is a/c, armrest, speed control, map lights, tilt, and 16" 6-spoke wheels and tires. The Power Group is now the power locks, mirrors, and windows. All new is "AdvanceTrac" Traction Control. It requires you to order the Premium pkg and ABS. Also new in '01 is a manual moonroof. This requires you buy the Premium pkg also. Other than that everyting else is pretty much a carry over.

Hope this helps all of you. If you need the order #s for the packages, etc. Feel free to e-mail me.
  • stevehoutxstevehoutx Member Posts: 8
    I have about 1600 miles on my 5sp ZX3 and am currently getting about 19 mpg in town and 24 mpg on the road both with the air conditioner on. I realize that the owner's manual says that I won't get an accurate mileage figure until 2000 miles, but my mileage does not seem to be gradually improving. Are there any TSBs, recalls, etc. related to the gas mileage for my Focus? I feel that I should (eventually) get at least 23 mpg in town and 28 or 29 mpg on the road. Other ZX3 owners here seem to be getting significantly better gas mileage under the same conditions with similar vehicle mileage.
    My 2 previous cars (Acura Integras) both got good mileage from the start. What's different about my Focus? I'd love to recommend this car to some of my friends who are looking for a new car, but until I see some decent gas mileage, I can't do so.
    Sounds good. It sounds like they fixed many of the shortcomings. Some major problems left seem to be that Ford did not add easy access to the rear seats. Most 2-door cars have front seats that will slide forward to allow more entry room to the rear. In addition, once they manage to squeeze in back, rear passengers are faced with one star crash safety.
    I also have some concerns about dealer service attiudes. The post saying the dealership told him that squealing brakes are normal is a turn off to the car.
    Is it a pop-off roof that does not slide or is it a sliding roof with a hand crank?
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    I have heard you have to wait to more like 4-6k for top gas mileage. Mine has 3400 miles and I am not at the top of it yet
    Zgrrl, go for it. Follow their instructions carefully, and if you have a trace bit of hazing after the first wipe-off, just go over it again with a slightly damp cloth followed by a dry cloth. Don't get Rain-X on paint, and only use it on outside surfaces. I'd keep it off the polycarbonate plastic headlamp covers too.
  • superf22superf22 Member Posts: 54
    the 2001 focus sounds great, but those packages are going to make it expensive...i would love to have the 16" tires though, and the arm rest, and the moonroof, and the abs, and...and...and now it's making me sad :(

on a different note, I think the bike rack looks to big, and besides a bike does fit perfectly with the seats down, I still need a rack for the surf board, but I'll try to find one smaller or thinker...better.

the kona edition rules, people think the side moldings are silly, but I think they're alright, different, and RouGh. my knitting-club buddies loved them!

gotta go drive...
    I have used rain-X for about a month now and it works great! The rain just streaks to the top of the window when driving, very easy to see without wipers.
    my experience has been that gas mileage has im-
    proved significantly after 2,500 mi.combined stop+
    go + hwy. with air on always -25mpg
This discussion has been closed.