Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Erratic Idle for CR-V

robertdctrobertdct Member Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in Honda
My wifes 2000 CRV has an idle problem. It's erratic going high and low at idle. A code 505 comes up. This code is for the IAC Valve. I replaced it and it did not change. This all started after the A/C Compressor replaced and the valves were adjusted.
The CRV has 212,000 miles on it. The head was reconditioned one year ago at 185,000 miles when the catalytic converter plugged and burned all the exhaust valves. It ran great until the A/C Compressor problem developed.
Has anyone ever had this idle problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This may not be related to your air conditioning at all. There is something called a "Fast Idle Thermo Valve" that oftentimes causes idle problems in Hondas and it may just need adjustment. Perhaps someone with technical expertise will jump in and give a hand. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Thanks for the informaton but when I checked it out I found that the "Fast Idle Thermo Valve" is only used on the CRV's with automatic transaxle not the 5 speed manual transaxle like we have.
    This is a tough one. I hate to return to the Honda dealer and get hosed again.

Thanks again tidester.
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Did you ever get this sorted Robert? Mine has a low idle condition..about 600 rpm.
    Been trying to get enough time to get into it. When I find out I'll let you know what I find.
  • Options
    I sure did find the problem. I did a compression test and found that all the valves were burned. Took the head off and had new valves, guides, etc. installed. Our CR-V had 185,000 miles and my wife was the only driver and the oil and filter have been changed every 3,000 miles since we bought it new.

Before I removed the head I checked the valve clearance and all were at factory specs.

Replaced the timing belt, tension pulley, and water pump along with the head gasket and valve cover gasket. The CR-V has 230,000 miles now and runs like a swiss clock. I checked the valve clearance at 200,000 miles and still at factory specs. I'll be checking them again very soon and do not expect any change.

I recommend you do a compression test to rule out any valve problems. My problem was the idle was erratic, going up and down about 100 rpm's. I never expected burned valves with this erratic idle condition. You can never tell. My experience with burned valves in the past the engine would miss fire or skip.

Hope this helps. If you need any more info. don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Bob Deschenes
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Sorry I am replying 2.5 years later, Bob. I do appreciate your reply but somehow missed it till now. I never did solve my low idle but it does not do it often. I did do an idle test a year ago involving a long idle time and various procedures that i forget now what i had to do. It sure did kill my fuel mileage on that tank of course.

I doubt I have burned valves as it only has 93k km (57000) miles on it. But that said I have also not done a valve adjustment and have been meaning to check into it. I plan to this summer, to at least check the tolerances. It's too cold here now to check them anyway as it should be about 70¼ or so right?