Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Wobble

Comments

• sdbermansdberman Posts: 1
    Hey. I have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage (less than 20k) 2006 Wrangler X. It is in excellent condition with no modifications. The owner has never experienced the death wobble, however, after reading all of the articles, I'm a bit concerned. Has Chrysler/Jeep accepted responsibility for the problem? Do they know what the problem is? Are they willing to fix it? Is it worth buying a 2006 jeep? Any info you have would be appreciated!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Has Chrysler/Jeep accepted responsibility for the problem? Do they know what the problem is? Are they willing to fix it? Is it worth buying a 2006 jeep?

Apparantly they have, do a search for details in several posts.

As for whether you should buy it, if it's what you want and the price is right then go for it and take care of any problems later, if they occur.

Life is too short to let good opportunities pass you by.
  • I bought my 2005 Wrangler X brand new. I experienced the Death Wobbled at around 60,000 miles. I have gone through 2 sets of tires. Everytime I replaced my tires it would go away for a little while then come back. It seems to me that this problem is an accumulation of problems, due to the fact that what ever the initial problem may be it causes other parts to go bad. I started out by replacing the steering damper - it went away then came back. Then I changed the track bar - it went away then came back. I have since replaced: all tire rod ends, wheel hub assembly on both sides, upper and lower ball joints on the driver side, both axle u-joints and my tires for a 3rd time. Any one of these parts can cause a death wobble when bad, including the steering gear box, although right now mine seems ok. Good luck to all who experience the death wobble. I love my jeep and will never trade it - Jeep For Life. But the death wobble sucks and can be very costly. The only tip I can offer is that in my experience mechanic shops are out to replace as many parts as possible, it is much cheaper to learn how to do this work your self. The only thing I do not do is the tire mounting and balancing and it has saved me a ton of money over the years.
  • mrpmeiimrpmeii Posts: 1
    Same problem, with an 2008. Spoke with a friend of a friend works for Chrysler. VP in Jeep. Asked to remain nameless.
    He was told to never speak of this issue again, in the building at Chrysler. Any research he did for me was met with great resistance.
    Spoke to Annette at Chrysler I Don't Care Line, about the issue after speaking with several other peoples voice mail. They graciously will afford to give me some of the thirty dollar a day rental fees. They will reduce it because the rented vehicle was not a chrysler product.
    Other than that at 76,000 miles they dont care about the $884.00 bill that I am stuck with. Not to mention the $400.00 rental charges. They have had the Jeep since June 10, 2011, today is June 23, 2011.
    Let me know if you hear any other good news on this, lawsuit, recall anything, I can use after taking it like this. GO JEEP, NOT!!!! :mad:
  • Sean, ScreaminLizard, for strongly urging me to take the wrangler to the dealer.
    Thanks to Rusty and Tami, Grapevine Jeep, for a sit down with Sean and respecting his knowledge.
    Sean tried to enlighten another dealership and was given the cold shoulder.

Front end was loose at 20K miles and was tired of bfg mt's. Then bought duratracs and a bill stine stabilizer. The stabilizer smoothed out the front but kept getting loosey goosey. Took it to GV Jeep for the new stabilizer and bracket at a few k miles under 50K miles. Smoother again. Then at 50k miles the front end went south and finally it felt like the tires lost all of their weights. Using all the horses available on I-35 got it home and talked to Sean. He said it is well known the drag link ends and tie rod ends don't last but that ball joints have been lasting 76K miles.

Got the rubicon back today with a new drag link and new tie rod. Never been off road, just errands and need to travel I-35 all the time.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 700
    edited October 2011
    Just got a chance to read "Willie's Workbench" in the December issue of Four Wheeler.

Stabilizer or Damper, I want a follow-up to the last sentence. How long did it really last.

Brand new the front end felt like a monoblock of steel. Guessing after 10k miles it started feeling loose but how can you tell. It's like shocks, a gradual decline like the frog in a cold pot of water over the fire.

Thinking of removing the paid-for new factory stabilizer that replaced the bil stine that replaced the original tokico that I threw away. Thinking of putting the bil stine back on. Have had people ask me about their front ends and mine. Some know me and some in other states see the screaminlizard and tribe decals.

Have the lifetime $50 deductible warranty(maybe that's why Sean sent me back to the dealer when I was mad enough to drink from the cup of dexcool and get on with my remaining years).

I do spend multiples of less time with this wrangler than with that rubber timing belted foreign diesel of a crd liberty. Like I posted a very long time ago, just a few more dollars up front to build quality vs wear the customer down with fixes until they trade it in or empty their pockets with aftermarket. Same darn love hate affair as the crd but the jk does have a frame and better aftermarket replacement parts to build it as it should've been built.

I've had front dif grease puke twice and also leak out from that cheap pressed in pin that the breather tube attaches to. Forgot to lube the door gasket and a few drips got better_half damp. Tranny cooler (now mopar has one) and wrapped crossover tube to keep fluid cool. Tranny leak fixed by local dealer (and not the fancy other side of metroplex dealer). Headlights are just good enough. Plastic clips on the ebrake and transfer cables. Smaller lighter tires than factory rubicon and haven't sleeved the axle tubes or welded on gussets. We all know the routine. But jeep wrangler means real jeep and even if it rusts away its' driveline should be able to take you to hell and back. Sitting on the edge, looking at aftermarket prices, to be or not to be...
  • Took time last night to read another mag that came in a while back-Jp (Nov. 2011).
    Inside was the statement of circulation-should've renewed all my sourcelink subscriptions.
    Page 91 "Unfortunately, I sold that CJ-6 years ago..."

A relative, upon seeing the rubicon a while back for the first time from a distance, thought it was better_half's H3. Both are blue and have the seven grill slots. He lamented the fact that the jeep he had years ago and sold, is still being driven (now by someone else).

I was once told to keep my first real jeep. I do wish necessity would have let me keep some of my old new to me back then detroit iron. Of course, driving around town today doing errands with the freedom top on but the windows down not speeding anywhere just enjoying the moment might have been the finishing touch.
  • I am having the same problem, changed the shocks, the stabilizer, put tires on it, rotated and balanced them and still the "Death Wobble". I am also willing to record it and send to a local news if they don't do anything to help me. I have a 2007 jeep wrangler unlimited and it has been doing it the last 2 years. I have almost got into many accidents and can kill myself or anyone else out there. I think that they are waiting for some car pile up or for someone to die. Seriously, this car problem should be a recall. It is horrible. I want in if anyone wants to sue them or go public, thanks vikki
  • If anyone out there is having death wobble or really bad shaking in the front near the the wheels that feels like your tires are out of control or going to fall out, please report a complaint to the NHTSA, "national highway traffic safety association at (888)327-4236 so that they can be aware of this dangerous problem. What are they waiting for a death to occur to actually make the problem on the car a recall. Sad at it seems, must complain, they put you on a list so when it actually becomes a recall you will get contacted and the NHTSA actually contacts the manufacture and lets them know the problem. Enough of these calls someone might start listening it take 10 minutes only. If you been like the lots of other people and myself that has bought tires, rotated tires, changed the shocks, changed the stabilizer trying to fix the problem, then call jeep manufacture at 1(877)426-5337 and let them know that the front is shaking, and your having the death wobble. I called jeep yesterday and they gave me no answers, today I called got a someone that discussed expired warranty and somehow my phone disconnected. I called back 5 minutes later, new lady better attitude that got me on a case file and waiting for a return call back within 24 hours. If anyone out there has the next step to this problem or has a class action law suit going on, email me: Hanniah_33@yahoo.com
  • Yes I have its horrible. I have put new tires, changed shocks, changed stabilizer, rotated and balanced car and the problems is so bad that I am unable to drive my car. lets exchange info so jeep does not play games that they have no idea what is going on. email: hanniah_33@yahoo.com
    File a complaint with the NHTSA at 1(888)327-4236, then call the jeep manufacture and hang up if they don't help you, call back new customer service until they give you a case number. I hear from another person it is there responsibility and they should diagnose and fix at no charge. I am still waiting for a call back. Just called them, they have 24 hour to call back. Also, i am not afraid to get an attorney or go public. Give me your input, two is better than one. Try to get others info, so am I thanks vikki
  • I called the number, they gave me a warranty story. I called back 5 mins later, spoke to someone that opened up a case for me. They have 24 to call back, I have a case that's opened now. I also reported it with the NHTSA (888)327-4236 and they say that they mention problem to manufacture and if there is a recall they will contact me. I changed my tires, changed stabilizer, changed shocks, rotated and balanced my tires and the car is worse than ever and now unable to drive it at all. I took it to 4-5 mechanics and no one has an idea, the last mechanic told me it was the "Death Wobble" and all over the internet. What did they do for you? We should exchange info so that Jeep plays no games with its customers, thanks vikki
  • I have an 08 Wrangler with the same issue. I also called NHTSA and received an ODI number.
  • I can relate to everything you describe. My first jeep was a 1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegade....I ordered it brand new and kept it until 2008. I loved that Jeep but needed a newer model. I never had any problems with it, changed the battery every few years, and replaced the radiator. I put 160,000 miles on the engine. I traded it in on a 2005 Rubicon that had 14,000 miles on it. About six months after I got the Rubicon as I was driving down the road the front end started shaking violently, thought I had a front tire blow out, so I eased it to the side of the road. I got out expecting a flat tire, but everything was fine. I got back in the Jeep and continued mission. Didn't think twice about it.....then it happened again a few weeks later, it started shaking so bad my elbows and wrists started hurting as I tried to gain control of the vehicle. Soon it became common and I just decided that my jeep had seizures. I took it to the dealership and they could not replicate the problem. I have replaced most of the front end components.....and the problem still exists. Always occurs around the 50 mph range. If I drop below 50 or increase speed above 50 it will level off. I was so ticked off one time when the "wobble" kicked in........I just braced myself and decided to ride it out at 50 until it stopped, or the tires fell off. The wobble won out....thought I was going to have to go see a chiropracter. My wife never believed me because it never happened when someone was with me. She had to drive it one day.......almost crapped in her pants when it happened.....it was that bad.
    I like my jeep to much to get rid of it......maybe someday there will be a recall, just hope no one gets injured or killed for it to happen.
    I traded it in on a 2005 Rubicon that had 14,000 miles on it. About six months after I got the Rubicon as I was driving down the road the front end started shaking violently.................I have replaced most of the front end components.....My wife never believed me because it never happened when someone was with me.

So for six months it was fine, then the wobble appeared, which would suggest that as is the case with all TJs, it's a wear rather than an design issue, .

You've replaced most of the front end components, but I'm guessing you haven't yet hit on the one joint or bearing that's triggering the issue.

It doesn't happen when someone is with you, suggesting that a balanced load supresses the tendency, so I'll take a guess that the worn item is on the passenger side (50% chance of being correct anyway ;) )

However, I guarantee you that there will never be a recall for this issue on TJs.
    It's not an uncommon issue on these models, but it's always associated with worn components and/or a lift.

On the other hand, Jeep are starting to take the same issue on JKs more seriously as it's a design problem.
  • tiger094tiger094 Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    replace struts unless the track bar fixed it
    No struts on a Wrangler. Regular coil-over shock / solid axle.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 700
    edited January 2012
    Sorry Mr. Marchionne. The to hell and back comment in the post, I thought, popped into my head while typing. I believe it may have been a link from Ed at inside automotive that took me to your address to your employees where you stated that phrase again and which you stated had been used in a commercial. I immediately change the channel when a mopar commercial comes on the tv.

Please read my old posts. I went to a dealer in Dallas County and a dealer in Tarrant county with the same service request. That is, please inspect the front end and do a complete alignment. Paid twice and got a report that everything was fine. I knew better from the way the vehicle was now getting very loose at times on the interstate.

Now to Discount tire for a tire check because it had to be my Duratracs. The local Discount dealer said the tires were too bad to balance as they were. I exploded. Two of your dealers gave it their blessing. The tires were originally purchased and road forced balanced by a manager who I have followed around the metroplex for twenty years. The local Discount dealer had to break the bead and rotate the tires to be able to balance them. It was obvious to them it was serious. Remember I told two dealers to inspect the front end - it was obvious something was wrong.

Went to the Discount Tire where the tires were purchased and thank goodness my friend wasn't there. I ripped the acting manager for no reason because it wasn't the Goodyear tires. I still owe them one heck of an apology.

Now if you've been reading, life has been mostly driving one interstate back and forth. Only because Rusty the local jeep service manager would sit down and talk with Sean of Screamin Lizard, I got the needed new parts. Just shy of 60K miles and the jeep feels good and the tires have smoothed themselves out. Haven't even rotated them since the new parts.

So to hell and back. I will keep mine as stock as possible and keep my paid for lifetime warranty in addition to the lifetime power train warranty that came with the jeep. And time permitting, I will ask and pay Rusty to have my favorite mechanic at his dealership, replace my Tribe 4x4 transmission cooler with your new Jeep tranny cooler so no one can say "Sorry" to me at a later date if Rusty and that mechanic someday become unavailable.

Just for the record, I have been reading about the Thai Colorado. Also reading about the new Trailblazer. Keeping the H3 and the JK as long as possible but some guys are always looking down the road.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you haven't already checked it, check the upper control arm bushings on the front axle. If they're shot/dried out, replace them. They are often overlooked in Jeeps.

Now if it is a newer JK, not too sure, but I'd look there if everything else has been addressed. A tire out of balance should never cause the death wobble. It just serves as a symptom indicating SOMETHING is out of whack.

-Paul
  • I had this problem with my 04. It would shake at 45 mph, but go away if I slowed down or increased speed. I had a shop look at it and they adjusted the front end. It didn't help it changed the shake to 55 mph. A friend suggested having the tires balance. Since I was wanting to put bigger tires on it, I changed the tires, knowing that the new ones would be balanced. The shack went away. Before paying a crap load of money, have the tires balanced.
  • I know what you are talking about, got the dw in our 07 jeep. Been checking things out and found the bolts
    in the track bar are all threads and they are .022 too small and the track bar bushing rides on the threads.
    This lets the track bar shift back and forth. Can you imagine that coming out of A factory ? I am in the process
    of making the correct size bolts. Will test drive tomorrow, 2/21/2012.
    Something else, They keep insisting that the bolts be torqued down to 125 pounds, that is just crushing the tabs
    and they hope that will keep the slack out, thats my thought.

Jim

Jimhoggard@yahoo.com