Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Wobble

2»

Comments

• I called the number, they gave me a warranty story. I called back 5 mins later, spoke to someone that opened up a case for me. They have 24 to call back, I have a case that's opened now. I also reported it with the NHTSA (888)327-4236 and they say that they mention problem to manufacture and if there is a recall they will contact me. I changed my tires, changed stabilizer, changed shocks, rotated and balanced my tires and the car is worse than ever and now unable to drive it at all. I took it to 4-5 mechanics and no one has an idea, the last mechanic told me it was the "Death Wobble" and all over the internet. What did they do for you? We should exchange info so that Jeep plays no games with its customers, thanks vikki
  • I have an 08 Wrangler with the same issue. I also called NHTSA and received an ODI number.
  • I can relate to everything you describe. My first jeep was a 1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegade....I ordered it brand new and kept it until 2008. I loved that Jeep but needed a newer model. I never had any problems with it, changed the battery every few years, and replaced the radiator. I put 160,000 miles on the engine. I traded it in on a 2005 Rubicon that had 14,000 miles on it. About six months after I got the Rubicon as I was driving down the road the front end started shaking violently, thought I had a front tire blow out, so I eased it to the side of the road. I got out expecting a flat tire, but everything was fine. I got back in the Jeep and continued mission. Didn't think twice about it.....then it happened again a few weeks later, it started shaking so bad my elbows and wrists started hurting as I tried to gain control of the vehicle. Soon it became common and I just decided that my jeep had seizures. I took it to the dealership and they could not replicate the problem. I have replaced most of the front end components.....and the problem still exists. Always occurs around the 50 mph range. If I drop below 50 or increase speed above 50 it will level off. I was so ticked off one time when the "wobble" kicked in........I just braced myself and decided to ride it out at 50 until it stopped, or the tires fell off. The wobble won out....thought I was going to have to go see a chiropracter. My wife never believed me because it never happened when someone was with me. She had to drive it one day.......almost crapped in her pants when it happened.....it was that bad.
    I like my jeep to much to get rid of it......maybe someday there will be a recall, just hope no one gets injured or killed for it to happen.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I traded it in on a 2005 Rubicon that had 14,000 miles on it. About six months after I got the Rubicon as I was driving down the road the front end started shaking violently.................I have replaced most of the front end components.....My wife never believed me because it never happened when someone was with me.

So for six months it was fine, then the wobble appeared, which would suggest that as is the case with all TJs, it's a wear rather than an design issue, .

You've replaced most of the front end components, but I'm guessing you haven't yet hit on the one joint or bearing that's triggering the issue.

It doesn't happen when someone is with you, suggesting that a balanced load supresses the tendency, so I'll take a guess that the worn item is on the passenger side (50% chance of being correct anyway ;) )

However, I guarantee you that there will never be a recall for this issue on TJs.
    It's not an uncommon issue on these models, but it's always associated with worn components and/or a lift.

On the other hand, Jeep are starting to take the same issue on JKs more seriously as it's a design problem.
  • tiger094tiger094 Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    replace struts unless the track bar fixed it
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    No struts on a Wrangler. Regular coil-over shock / solid axle.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 703
    edited January 2012
    Sorry Mr. Marchionne. The to hell and back comment in the post, I thought, popped into my head while typing. I believe it may have been a link from Ed at inside automotive that took me to your address to your employees where you stated that phrase again and which you stated had been used in a commercial. I immediately change the channel when a mopar commercial comes on the tv.

Please read my old posts. I went to a dealer in Dallas County and a dealer in Tarrant county with the same service request. That is, please inspect the front end and do a complete alignment. Paid twice and got a report that everything was fine. I knew better from the way the vehicle was now getting very loose at times on the interstate.

Now to Discount tire for a tire check because it had to be my Duratracs. The local Discount dealer said the tires were too bad to balance as they were. I exploded. Two of your dealers gave it their blessing. The tires were originally purchased and road forced balanced by a manager who I have followed around the metroplex for twenty years. The local Discount dealer had to break the bead and rotate the tires to be able to balance them. It was obvious to them it was serious. Remember I told two dealers to inspect the front end - it was obvious something was wrong.

Went to the Discount Tire where the tires were purchased and thank goodness my friend wasn't there. I ripped the acting manager for no reason because it wasn't the Goodyear tires. I still owe them one heck of an apology.

Now if you've been reading, life has been mostly driving one interstate back and forth. Only because Rusty the local jeep service manager would sit down and talk with Sean of Screamin Lizard, I got the needed new parts. Just shy of 60K miles and the jeep feels good and the tires have smoothed themselves out. Haven't even rotated them since the new parts.

So to hell and back. I will keep mine as stock as possible and keep my paid for lifetime warranty in addition to the lifetime power train warranty that came with the jeep. And time permitting, I will ask and pay Rusty to have my favorite mechanic at his dealership, replace my Tribe 4x4 transmission cooler with your new Jeep tranny cooler so no one can say "Sorry" to me at a later date if Rusty and that mechanic someday become unavailable.

Just for the record, I have been reading about the Thai Colorado. Also reading about the new Trailblazer. Keeping the H3 and the JK as long as possible but some guys are always looking down the road.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you haven't already checked it, check the upper control arm bushings on the front axle. If they're shot/dried out, replace them. They are often overlooked in Jeeps.

Now if it is a newer JK, not too sure, but I'd look there if everything else has been addressed. A tire out of balance should never cause the death wobble. It just serves as a symptom indicating SOMETHING is out of whack.

-Paul
  • I had this problem with my 04. It would shake at 45 mph, but go away if I slowed down or increased speed. I had a shop look at it and they adjusted the front end. It didn't help it changed the shake to 55 mph. A friend suggested having the tires balance. Since I was wanting to put bigger tires on it, I changed the tires, knowing that the new ones would be balanced. The shack went away. Before paying a crap load of money, have the tires balanced.
  • I know what you are talking about, got the dw in our 07 jeep. Been checking things out and found the bolts
    in the track bar are all threads and they are .022 too small and the track bar bushing rides on the threads.
    This lets the track bar shift back and forth. Can you imagine that coming out of A factory ? I am in the process
    of making the correct size bolts. Will test drive tomorrow, 2/21/2012.
    Something else, They keep insisting that the bolts be torqued down to 125 pounds, that is just crushing the tabs
    and they hope that will keep the slack out, thats my thought.

Jim

Jimhoggard@yahoo.com
  • there is one slight error in your replym and that is on the steering dampener. Factory dampeners anr not made to handle anything but narrow "road" tires. Further if they are fo the gas charged variety, all bets are off. these are fine if you live in a moderate climate where the temps stay between 65-80 degreees F year round. if not they are only good for a handful of years, and should be replaced with oversized hydraulic units to handle the tires jeeps normally use. Also in the same vein, the factory gas charged shocks are next to worthless after three years of use, regardless of milage, due to poor design and low cost. And to expand on your wheel balance comments, Jeep for some reason has chose to use wheels that catch debris for a number of years centering around '06. The wheel has its central hub attached at the outer edge of the wheel instead of the center so it doesnt self clean and will throw itself out of balance. Especially if you play in sticky mud, or heavy snow which will freeze in the wheel, which in the north , you can not prevent, So watch out for this when you choose wheels, fancy designs do NOT make then betterm just expensivem and often they actually cause excessive tire wear when a cheap generic spoked wheel will save you bug bucks more than twice, once on the wheel, and untold times on replacement tires
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    edited July 2012
    "In April, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rejected the lawmakers' request for a formal investigation of 2005-10 Jeep Wranglers.

All manufacturer vehicles equipped with a solid axle can be susceptible to this condition and, if experienced, it is routinely corrected with a change of tires or installation of a simple steering dampener....

In fact, most reported incidents — in all manufacturer vehicles equipped with or without a solid axle — are often linked to poorly installed or maintained after-market equipment, such as lifters, oversized tires, etc. The name you've given to this condition has no basis in fact."

House Dems ask Chrysler to assist owners on 'Jeep Death Wobble' (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited Rubicon and have experienced the death wobble as you call it lol. Of course the dealership gave me all kinds of bs excuses however I no longer have that problem BC I stopped being lazy and put it in my shop. The Rubicon comes with mud terrain tires that look cool however you MUST rotate them every 3000 miles or oil change time because they wear quick. When the dealership let the 18 year old kids rotate my tires they threw my front end out of alignment bad which caused the mud terrain tires to CUP really bad I performed a front end alignment and purchased 5 new tires from a company called silent armor they still look aggressive but are all terrain tires instead of mud terrains. And they a lot less maintance when it comes to rotating them. I have not had the death wobble since I did the alignment and put fresh tires that are not cupped on the jeep.
2»