Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee starter clicks but will not start

2»

Comments

• I know these posts are older but maybe I can save someone some money. I had the same "click" problem with my 2005. After having the starter checked my mechanic found it was ready to go, however, he told me that with these keys, the ignition has to read the sensor first before the engine will start, that you can't just put the key in and start it, you should wait a few seconds first. Solved the problem for me.
  • Ok so I have had the same issue as everyone else. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 turn key and click no start. I've read hundreds of these useless posts with no real answer to my problem. I went right for the starter and when I got it out I took it in to my local parts store. They tested it and said it was like new. So they told me to test my battery. I came home tested my battery and it was good to go at 12.41 volts. I put the starter back in and put everything back together and the Jeep started right up 10 out of 10 times no issues. I think the the starter was locked up before I pulled it. It tested like new and as soon as I pulled it out and ran it while off of the flywheel it unlocked. When I put it back in and turn it over wham...no issues. I think the answer to most of our issues is that these Grand Cherokees have weak starters. Many posts were about replacing a starter that tested non defective but replacing it anyway just to be safe only to find that 3 months later they had the same exact issue. Not Relays and Not Corrosion. I will post an update if i have any issue.
  • I have the same problem, but a tad different. I was going to the doctor's office this morning and I was going to drive my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L. I turn the key, but it was grinding and it wouldn't crank. I tried it a second time; the same result occurred, but all of the sensor warnings were displaying telling me to service this, that, or the other thing. I called AAA to get a tow. The guy tested my battery, but it was 12.26 volts with very little amps. Three hours later a different tow truck guy comes back with a new battery. He puts it in, then he tries to crank the Jeep--there was merely a "click" sound. It did not start and he realized it was the starter.

After several attempts, it started. However, the temperature read 77 degrees and it was clearly in the low 40's.

While the tow truck guy was filling out paperwork, I did not want to turn it back off and I left it on, so I could drive straight to my mechanic. I put it in reverse and I noticed the Jeep was getting harder to steer. I put it in drive and made my way down the driveway, but by that time the power steering went out and Jeep shut off entirely. I turned the key to the off position, then I noticed my lights shut off entirely, which is something that never happens when I turn off my Jeep.

I turned the Jeep back on and it cranked up like a charm. After it started, the engine sounded like it was going to die and the lights dimmed a little, then everything went back to normal. When I got to the stop sign, the RPM's dropped from 1,000 to 500 and the engine sounded like it wanted to turn off.

I drove down the highway at about 65-70 mph with no trouble. I got off on the exit ramp and came to a stop sign; the engine sounded weak as before. The same thing happened at the next stop sign. I got into the city limits and the engine sounded weak, as if I were stopped at the stop sign. I did not mash the gas pedal and I coasted into my mechanic's parking lot. The engine sounded weak the entire time--with lower RPM's.

When I came to a stop, the Jeep sounded fine. I turned the Jeep off and turned the key, but I did not turn it on and the check engine light was on. I eventually cranked it up and it was fine.

If you know what is wrong with it, then please tell me.
  • Try disconnectiong the battery and leaving it disconnected overnight. Then reconnect it and see what happens. I don't know why, but sometimes this works. It recently worked for my own 2005 JGC that was suffering multiple electronic problems.
  • I'm not a mechanic by any means. I can fix a computer easily. What you're suggesting sounds like it could be related to the computer. Disconnecting the power supply will, in some cases, restored default settings.

Of course, that sounds like merely a temporary fix, because the same problem is bound to come back.
  • autowillautowill Posts: 1

Hello all, please check out the Facebook write up I did for my clients Jeep. I hope that helps people. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.642014742524007.1073741828.604788562913292&type=1

2»