Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• troutrou Posts: 4
    has anyone experienced a swooshing noise in their steering wheel. Once it starts it stays for the rest of our journey. Is this a saftey issue?
  • Two days ago my 99 Quest (31k) failed to start. Would not even turn over - dash warning lights came on as normal when the key was turned but the starter did not engage at all. Tried new battery with same result. After many tries, it turned over and ran fine. Shut it off and again same problem. After many more tries it did start and I took it to the dealer. When I left it in the evening in the dealers service line, it again would not start. The next morning, it started fine for the mechanic and he could never duplicate the problem. So now I am driving it around just waiting for it to leave me sitting somewhere. Anyone else have such a problem? I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic and it has me baffled. I did clean the battery terminals and cables - no help. Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is the only problem that I have had with the vehicle so far with 31k miles on the odometer.

Charlie
  • i've had that one before -- mine was a starter solenoid. Pretty common on Ford products.
  • I also believe it is either the starter solonoid, short in the cable or a ground problem. Just hope that I can replicate it for the dealer before I get to 36K.
  • Message 564 indicated that he would offer instructions to solve the problem at home. At $100 a pop through the dealer I am ready to learn to do it myself. How do I take care of this recurring problem?
  • md_techmd_tech Posts: 84
    What type of gas do you use??? An do you change your air filter on regular intervals??? Your problem is resulting from excessive carbon build up on the throttle plate,which is causing your throttle to stick. How often do you have to do a throttle body service??

md_tech
    Host
    Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Just wondering, what year Quests is this happening in? I have never had a problem with the throttle sticking in my Quest......7 months and 17,000 miles.....or in any other vehicle for that matter. One thing I do is about once a month I get after the van, floor it from a near stop, don't know if that helps at all but I have never had a carbon build up in any vehicle I have ever owned. I did have problems with carbon build up in a 94 Blazer that I bought used, the carbon was breaking loose and sticking in the EGR valve, it stopped after I owned the truck for a couple months. Of course the majority of my driving is highway not city.
  • Is the front passenger seatbelt suppose to lock? Whenever I sit in that seat and I move around and the belt tightens a little then it locks so I cannot get it to loosen again unless I unbuckle the seat belt and then rebuckle it. Is that suppose to happen? Also with the rear hatch why won't it go up all the way in the cold? I have to push it the rest of the way up or I will bump my head. Is that a defect or is it something that I will just have to accept as a quirk on this van? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
  • md_techmd_tech Posts: 84
    The shock problem is something that unfortnatly wont go away. You can blame this problem on the cold weather and the type of liquid shocks Nissan's use...

md_tech
    Host
    Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • This is a little off-topic, but I'd be interested in what information anyone has about the next van in the Nissan line-up. I've read where the Villager and the Quest are being phased out this year, but haven't heard what plans, if any, there are to replace them.

As a point of interest, I have a 94 Villager with about 75,000 miles and am very pleased with the reliability and drive-ability of the van!
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    About the rear hatch not going up all the way. See message 548 for an explanation.
  • Max,

Quest will have a short production run for 2002 and will be back again on 2004 (actually May of 2003 since Nissan is the first to bring in the new cars). It will be an all Japanese Engine and tansmission however the Cabin will be designed by Renault. Renault is expert in space effeciency and they know how to take advantage of nook and crannies. Also the headlights & grill,bumpers will be European. Will have side airbages and maby curtains too like the Mercedes. If you check the Escape URL you will get an idea. Renault Van have done very good in Europe(#1 for 2 years in a row). Sounds like it will be very hot Van when it comes out. Check this site for preview:

http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/espace.htm

• akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Well, I finally found out why my Quest's transmission has been shifting erratically. It kind of let me know in a not too nice way. I drove my son to school this morning and then ran a couple more errands, after the second stop I headed back out onto the highway and started to accelerate, I wasn't paying too much attention to the van until I noticed that the engine sounded rather loud. It was then that I glanced at the tach and noticed it was running at 5,000 rpms........at 45 mph!! I tried slowing down and going again but the van still refused to shift. So, I used a Ford Windstar trick (yes I used to own one) and stopped put the van in park and shut it off and restarted it. After that is would shift but not very well. Took it to the dealer figuring they wouldn't be able to duplicate the problem, but bless the van's heart it showed Chuck what was wrong. It was the revolution sensor in the transmission and of course they had to order the part. Chuck told me the van is fine to drive and it will probably continue to act up but the part will be here in a couple days. Ah, the joys of a first year redesign.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've sworn off the internet at work so I can actually get work done. So far it's working.

What you will need is a phillips head screwdriver, a pair of pliers, an old toothbrush and a can of spray throttle body/air intake cleaner. Make sure it is sensor safe. It will say on the can if it is.

Start by removing the air filter. This is a good time to change it if it is dirty. Then remove the black rubber hose leading from the air filter to the throttle body by loosening the clamp at the end. You will also have to disconnect a couple of other lines that lead into this using the pliers.

Then (with the engine off) spray the cleaner into the throttle body while holding the throttle plate open. (It's a good idea to wear eye protection while doing this - is smells vicious! I also wear latex gloves to keep it off my skin.) Take the old toothbrush and scrub inside the TB and both sides of the plate.

Once it's cleaned up, button everything back up (make sure everything is connected) and start the engine. It will crank for a while, and run rough for a little while, that's normal.

I've done this about every 10,000 miles on my 99 Quest. It may be related to the fuel we use. We always get gas from the same chain. If there were any ohter station conveniently located, I would switch brands. But PDQ has a lock on this market!

Dave
  • Thanks for the info on Nissan's plans for the Quest!
  • sam7068sam7068 Posts: 28
    I do sympathize with you, however I haven't seen anywhere in your posting that you have tried to sell your vehicle? You know if you try to sell it to perpective buyers in your local newspaper you can easily get your money back. I have been driving Nissan for 22 Years and never had any problems and when I sold the cars (Just sold a '91 Altima XE with 111k for 4K.(slightly over retail)allways got more money than expected. Currently I own '92 300zx, 2001 Quest and 2000 crew cab. The only money I have spent so far on any Nissan has been for Oil change and tires. I strongly suggest you try the local newspapers and sell your car and buy another name brand. I am sure every brand has a lemon once in a while.
  • sam7068sam7068 Posts: 28
    I meant I sold '91 Stanza last week for 4K not an Altima!!!
  • Trou, I have 2000-Quest and have the same problem with steering. Dealer is trying to fix it but I am not hopeful they will be able to. I also have a clanking noise in transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. They say this is normal !! Pasanger side sliding door rattles too. Really a piece of junk. mrugshal@hotmail.com.
  • troutrou Posts: 4
    I am glad we are not the only ones that feel this van is a piece of junk. I am so tried of the service dept telling us that a problem is "normal". This isn't our first van but our first quest (and our last) we have never had as many things go wrong. The workmanship in our van is poor to say the least. I had molding come off in my hand, molding come off the sliding door. the air bag cover lift, the turn signal doesn't stay down when the wheel is turned only slightly ( I am told this is normal I only hope that I don't have somebody slam the back of this van while I am fighting with the signal to stay down) and of course the noise in the steering wheel. If you have read earlier comments you will know the major repairs to the transmission, axle and motor mounts. Over the last few weeks it has made a intermited noise in the brake area not one you would expect when you need brakes. We have had enough. Nissan has been the worst company to deal with (actually they don't want to discuss . Its their way or no way). Good Luck (you will need it)
  • I guess there are lemons built with every van, however, if you go over and look at the Honda van forum, you will come back and kiss your Quest. S'funny, I have 20,000 miles om my 1999 and NO problems have surfaced. Did you buy a demo orused van?
  • Trou,

I read your message on other board that you were trying for Lemon Law protection. Any luck? I am trying the same. Can we get in touch over email? mrugshal@hotmail.com
  • have a 2000 Quest and is 5 months old, Nissan offer me Security+, at $1000, I can have a 6 years/75,000 miles Silver Protection Plan.
    Have anyone have trouble with Silver Protection Plan from Nissan?
    Are there any other better deal?
    Should I go for 7 years?

Thank you for those who gives me comments.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,298
    Isn't there a 5 year, 60,000 mile manufacturer's powertrain warranty already?

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Hi! I have a 95 Quest and have had a problem that no one can diagnose. On 3 seperate occasions my engine has just turned off on the freeway. The first time was at about 10K miles and we had been driving in the heat, air on for hours, climbing altitude, etc. The 2nd time was about 90K mi later on a VERY hot day (116 deg) and the air had been on for 2.5 hours. The last time was just recently but it wasn't too hot (only about 80 deg) but the air had been on about 1.5 hours. The engine just dies. If I wait a bit, I can restart the car and drive a few miles until it dies again. If I let the car completely cool down it drives just fine. This problem hasn't left a code and the service people can't duplicate the problem. Any one out there had a similar problem? If so, what did you do? Thanks in advance!

Carrie
  • This is an old problem with a lot of cars. Either the fuel filter is clogged or your electric fuel pump is defective, it should be simple for the dealer to find. have him check fel\ul pressure and flow. Since the fuel pump is buried in the gas tank, they do NT want to relace it.
  • An unusual thing happened to my van today, shortly after parking it, the passenger side window shattered, seemingly on its own. It made a loud popping noise and then crumbled into thousands of tiny pieces. The window was fully rolled up and a car was parked closely next to mine on the passenger side, thus I'm almost certain nothing hit it.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience or know what could cause such a phenomenon?

Thanks for your input.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,298
    I have heard of similar instances, with lots of different theories as to why they self-destruct (side windows, front windows, rear windows, etc.).

Anyone else?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• All curved modern window glaas is under internal tension...part fo the manufacturing proces and the making of the glass and layer inserts. I have seen this happen once and saw the aftermath of it a number of times. The stress gets too much interior to the glass and it shatters...glass replacement companies are very familiar to this scenario as well as any insurance company.
  • tika2tika2 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of a center console that can be added to a Quest that's not a TV/VCR console, especially one with a trash container?

I have just joined the ranks of Quest owners, having just purchased a wedgewood blue 1999 GLE with 21,000 miles for $12,600. Before buying it, I read through the messages posted here (all 600 of them!) so I know some of the things to watch out for: As far as I can tell, my middle bench seat does not shake noticeably. And according to the Nissan customer service computer, my wiper switch and tail light assembly have been replaced. I paid a Nissan dealer to give the vehicle a complete check-up before I bought it. Except for some very dusty rear brakes and loose mud splash guards, the mechanic found no major problems to be concerned about. (Those could be explained by the fact that this vehicle started its life in Arizona and Texas.)

I picked the Quest because I like how comfortable it is to ride in and to drive. I test-drove all 10 models of 2 to 3-year-old minivans before I picked the Quest, and I fell in love with its feel as soon as I drove it. It feels much more stable compared to the Odyssey and Sienna, which both feel like riding an elephant on a rollerskate the way they sway back and forth on quick curves. I also picked it for the removable seats and 4th door. (I had to spend a bit more to get a 1999 to get those features.) Since my husband and I exhibit at lots of trade shows for our business we need to haul a lot of items to furnish our booths. (No kids yet, but now with a van we have room for some.) We are planning a second honeymoon next August -- a repeat of our first one 10 years ago -- driving from California to Wyoming and through 8 Western states. We hope our new van will give us a great trip.

I also have a message for Dave (dhoff #502) regarding the horrid smelling A/C. There is product made from natural herbs which can be sprayed into the system to disinfect all the "yeasties and beasties" living in it. Works on window A/Cs too. Let me know if you would like more information.

Tika
  • I built my own console for my Van. I even put carpet on top so my little dog has a place to sit. Works good too. Lid lifts up for storage.
This discussion has been closed.