Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Perhaps some of you guys need to do a little weight lifting. ;-) All kidding aside: the van should not be so "airtight" that the doors don't shut with a fair amount of pressure. The latch or the gasket might need an adjustment. Also, keep in mind the "fit/finish adjustment" warranty is only 12k/12m. So I would'nt hesitate to have it checked out by your dealer service, even if you think it could just be a weak arm problem. Better "safe than sorry." btw, my rear hatch closes fairly easily... and I don't consider myself to have a lot of arm strength. ;-)

To charles15- I'd have the dealer check out your battery saver also. Even if any of the doors are ajar, the interior lights should still go off within the 30 minute window. That's what the battery saver is for, to protect you from a dead battery in the event that you accidentally leave the door open. Could be that the battery saver timer is set a little longer that the "30 minute..." Good luck and keep us posted.
  • charles15charles15 Posts: 57
    According to the operators manual, the lights associated with the rear hatch go out after 60 minutes so maybe I did not give them enough time. The battery saver apparently worked at some point when my wife ( not her weak- armed husband ) shut the door. I encountered the problem when I opened and shut a slider later. Since I pin pointed the problem as the hatch , I have been in and out of the hatch several times with no reoccurrence of the problem. Maybe I'll just get my wife the weight training :-)
  • I turned off the horn sound feature of the alarm on my GLE. The lights still flash when the alarm
    activates and all the doors are closed. If they
    don't flash, I know something isn't closed all the way (quite often the rear hatch).
  • marcus5marcus5 Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a 1993 Nissan Quest. The Edmond's pricing guide shows that the car was recalled due to problems with the brake master cylinder, possible fire hazards (due to the fresh air intake system, and bolts securing the automatic ______. the message ended here. does anyone know exactly what the recall consisted of?
    Your help is appreciated!
  • VshunVshun Posts: 21
    We had the same problem as Charlie and some others with rear latch the night we brought Quest home. It was at midnight we brought the van home from dealership after several hours of haggling, and so it was frustrating to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out what causes lights to be on and how to turn them off.

Poca, I do not agree we all should run to the dealer for finish adjustment, as this sounds to be a 'feature' of Quest. We really have to slum it down to keep van sealed. I bet dealer service man would immediately say it is working the way all other Quests do.

Thanks to these posts, I read here about horn sounding feature, now I will try to pay attention to it.
  • charles15charles15 Posts: 57
    I now shut the hatch firmly but not hard - no need to slam - and have never had the problem again. You can shut off the horn blowing feature on your fob if it annoys you and the lights will still flash if it is locked. If one of the doors is not secure, the lights will not flash. I don't think the rear hatch is a problem, you just can't push it shut lightly and expect it to be locked but you don't have to slam it either.
  • Manifold bolts ( Blue Whale) I just explained in the Edmunds chat room about my 93 Quest's needing both manifolds replaced, along with all 12 bolts. With 6 of 12 needing to be tapped out to a tune of 1100.bucks.( There was indead a ' Service bulliten' mentioned in Edmunds.com, along with my mechanics knowledge of an 11/93 'change' notice for the manifold/ stud design.) Please comment.
    Sorry to hear about your problem.

You may want to call 1.800.nissan1 and address your problem there. They have a special line specifically for addressing recalls/tbs hotlines. Depending on the year/miles of your van; they might be able to make some kind of special provisions to help you with the cost/fix, especially if you owned the vehicle prior to expiration of the warranty and were not properly notified of the recall/tsb.

Don't know if you bought your vehicle used or not, or how many miles are on it... but for future reference, I suggest for anyone buying a used vehicle to check out http://www.alldata.com/consumer/ to see what recalls and tsb's are on the vehicle.

Also, I'm a big believer in investing in a extended service warranty. Especially with a used vehicle, where there are so many unknowns. For those interested, here's Edmund's link to Warranty Gold: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/warranty/information.html
  • csechecseche Posts: 1
    I have a question for all you 1999 Quest owners out there. I purchased a 99 SE loaded in February, just in time to take advantage of the free TV/VCR player promo. However,I have received the MAJOR runaround from my local dealer here in Santa Rosa California and I want to get the "Quick Release Brackets" so I can remove the unit when not needed. But, the local car audio place contracted to install the units is also giving me the runaround! I'm coming up on the two-month anniversary of my van, and I'm sick of looking at the box with the unit in it in my living room! What options or recourse do I have short of REALLY going on the Internet and spreading the word of the deplorable customer service received? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • skyzeskyze Posts: 2
    I have a 99 SE Quest with about 9,000 miles on it at this point. It started turning on the windshield wipers when I worked the turn signals. Sometimes you can just touch the stalk and the wipers sweep across the windshield at least once.
    It seems to be getting worse, and yesterday the wipers just came once or twice by themselves.
    I haven't been back to the dealer yet for this problem. Has anyone else seen this?
    I would hate to see them have to tear into the steering column.
    Thanks for any comments.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,292
    probably a loose connection or a defective switch. It is relatively simple for them to change the lever.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• akly1234akly1234 Posts: 2
    Hi, folks,

I have a 98 Quest GXE, bought new, now having 8600miles on it. I noticed it did not shift smoothly when accelerating from 2st gear to 3nd. It is so noticeable that I can feel the transmission "slap" into position. Other than that it works fine. What do you think ?
    Any advice is appreciated.
  • ChingCChingC Posts: 11
    Have you checked the transmission fluid yet? It happened to my other car, and it turned out that the transmission fluid was low. After adding transmission fluid, it was okay. Check it up by yourself, or have dealer to check it. It shall be under warranty.

Good luck,
  • lanettalanetta Posts: 5
    I posted concerns in the Quest site but thought I would check with the folks cruising here.

My MPT is very disappointing. 15-17 MPG mixed highway/city driving.

No outside air vent for circulation? The air actually feels as if it has been heated when I use the next to last left hand stop on my selection dial.

Any input or solutions out there?
  • bobs123bobs123 Posts: 2
    We have a 94 quest GXE and have been very disappointed with it. The electrical system is total crap. We've had the fan selector/controller in the center console replaced 4 times(!) since new and it still doesn't work right.
    The rear wiper works when it feels like it.
    And guess what just happened? 86,000 miles on it and the dealer told us we need a new transmission! Only $3200 to replace it.
    It is stuck in 3rd gear, the shifter works (i.e. we can put it in park, drive, 1st, 2nd, reverse, neutral), but it only moves when in drive and only 3rd gear. I should have known that it was crap when I found out that they're assembled by Ford with almost all Ford parts.
  • mgvhmgvh Posts: 4
    99 GXE with just over 2000 miles, and I also am experiencing the same problem as noted in posts 51 and 55. The wipers self-activate occasionally when using the turn signal or begin wiping when turning on the van. Very disconcerting. Thanks to this board, I will let the dealer know that others are having problems too.
  • smbfujarsmbfujar Posts: 7
    Like skyze and mgvh, we've had problems with self-activating wipers on our '99 Quest GLE. We've been living with it for 2 or 3 months, as it is very sporadic in its re-occurrence. (FYI, van is 7 months old and has nearly 10K miles, as if that makes any difference.) Called dealer, who says they won't be able to service if we can't demonstrate the problem; what a bunch of chicken feathers!

Since skyze first mentioned this problem in May, has it been fixed to your satisfaction? What part did your dealer actually replace? If they had to order the part, how long did it take before they called you to have you back for the repair?

We're taking van in for service for a loose door panel (on driver side sliding door) on Friday, July 9, 1999. If skyze is looking in, we'd appreciate your feedback.
  • brianinohbrianinoh Posts: 20
    I am not totally sure how the Ford/Nissan joint venture worked in 1994, however, presently, the Villager/Quest is pretty much a Nissan designed vehicle with primarily Nissan components/parts. It is assembled at a Ford factory however Nissan had a fair amount of input in the assembly process and many engineers at Ford have spent a fair amount of time in Japan learning their techniques. So, if someone had the problems that you are having with a more current Villager, they could probably curse Nissan for their woes. Assuming the joint venture was the same in '94 as it is now, I would say that Nissan may be as much at fault as Ford.

Now, many in these threads have touted Nissan's rigorous inspections and fantastic dealer service. Maybe those inspections were not in place in '94. But I would think that Nissan would stand behind its product. Good luck.
  • ambradleyambradley Posts: 7
    The wiper swipe problem appears quite common; I've
    got it too in my 1999 Quest GLE. I called the service department and he was more than willing to look at it but didn't have a specific record of this problem. I'm concerned because it IS so common - is it a problem with the design that won't be repaired by replacing anything? Or is it we all somehow have a mis-assembled van that allows electrical contact to the wiper switch when we are only using the turn signals? I would think it is the former rather than the latter.

bobs123: On your transmission, it is unfortunate that it requires are rebuild at 86,000 miles, which is out of the standard warranty but still under what I would think is an acceptable life-span for a transmission. Like any other part, some are bound to fail early. The question is whether this is happening to a LOT of vans or only a few. In the case of the Ford Windstars (with Ford AXOD transmissions) it happened to a LOT of owners (including me). This indicated a design flaw rather than an isolated incident.

I guess the best thing to do is check around with other owners and the NHTSA and see if there are a lot of complaints of failed transmissions in Quests.
  • smbfujarsmbfujar Posts: 7
    We took our 99 Quest GLE in for service on 7/09/99. Service writer at the dealer was much more cooperative in person than over the phone. This guy said he'd seen two other 99 models with same problem, and replaced something called a "combination switch". My wife (primary driver of the van) says the new switch/stalk feels a lot more solid than the original one, that you can really feel the difference between signaling for a turn or engaging the wipers. Of course, the van hasn't been in any rain since the repair, so we hope everything keeps working as it should.
  • 1dcfan1dcfan Posts: 1
    We've had our 1999 GXE for about two months already. Shortly after purchase we began to have problems with the driver's side window. Sometimes when we rolled the window down we had a hard time getting it back up. Next business day we took it in to have it fixed. They replaced the switch.

We are experiencing the "wiper swipe." Now knowing it is not just in our head, we are going to take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

We had a 1994 Quest and the only problem we had with it was the brakes kept making noise even after they were worked on. The Quest had over 100,000 miles.
  • manasdmanasd Posts: 1
    Bought a 99 Quest GXE with premium audio which is supposed to allow rear passengers use a different media using a headphone. I cannot get that to work. The moment 'media' button is pressed in the rear audio controls the entire music system starts playing the same media.
    Anyone had this problem or knows how to get around it - Thanks.

Manas.
  • bigt5bigt5 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1999 Nisan Quest SE. I left the lot at night and the next morning I noticed that there were runs in the paint (Black over Silver two tone). I took it to the dealer and they waxed it showing that there were runs in the entire body of the vehicle, most likely from the factory under the clearcoat. I am now in a fight with both the dealership and Nissan Corporation to try to get a new car. Who should have their brand new car taken apart and repainted for a week to week and a half at a body shop, thus giving paint and molding which is not as nice as factory paint? Any suggestions?
  • asthar40asthar40 Posts: 5
    I have a nissan quest 1999 se.It has 8000 miles, I am very happy with my purchase. However, sometimes I notice that when I drive trough a hole or a rough road a weird sound like something is loose can be herd in the rear. I thouht it was the spare tire loose but it is really tight. I do not have the rear shelf in my van and the rear cargo area is empty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • rwcosrwcos Posts: 5
    Check for roof rack and make sure it is tight and not loose ,I had the same problem and it was the dial on the adjustment piece that was causing a sound when you hit highway speeds.
  • senhsenh Posts: 2
    My 94 Quest w/ 71K miles now needs to replace a re-build transmission w/ the cost over $3300. It seems not right for the reputation of this brand. It makes me to re-think to buy this kind van again. I did regular maintenance at 30K and 60K. When I did my 60K fuild change, the shop told me the used fluid is very dirty like having mud in there. It happened in last Dec. Now, it beyonds 70K and over 60K's warranted period. I need to pay that myself. I checked other shops and they quote me from $1800 to $2800. My question is what is the reasonable price to replace this. Is the dealer price over value ? How can I get some money back from Nissan ? thanks !!
  • ambradleyambradley Posts: 7
    You probably can't get money from Nissan, although it's always worth trying. First try through your dealership, then through Nissan directly (call their 800-number). Your vehicle is out of warranty both in miles and age, so you're probably out of luck.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - your transmission failed a bit early but some will, while others won't. It's unfortunate and shows the value of an extended warranty, which is pretty cheap for the Quest compared to other minivans.

The transmissions are probably the worst, except for all the other vans out there. Go talk to the Windstar owners who had to do rebuilds at 50,000 miles due to a failed forward clutch piston (I know, I was one of those). Then go talk to the Chrysler van owners. Their 4-speed has been troublesome since the 1980's, when they started putting it in the cars.

The Nissans hold up better than most minivans, but nothing is perfect. Some people will have failures. Yours is only the second I've read of in here, the first posted a short time ago, at 86k miles.

Oh, and I would have a reputable company other than Nissan do the rebuild. It will probably get done faster, have a longer warranty, and cost a lot less. Dealers are not known for being cheap.
  • jacq2ejacq2e Posts: 1
    After three Chrysler vans, I have had it. My son is a mechanic and from the amount of repairs that he does he is telling me to look at the Quest or Windstar. He says both have improved.
  • slagaslaga Posts: 1
    Manas

We have the same problem with the rear audio controls. It simply does not work the way the manual says it should.

We discovered that we couldn't split the audio while we were driving cross country and meant to get with the dealer to find out what the problem is. Of course we haven't yet. If anyone has any info on this please pass it along.

I'd like to know if there would be a way to get anything back from Nissan if the system doesn't work. It clearly states in the brochures that you can play one type of audio up front and another through headsets in the rear. That was the only reason we wanted it.

It would be nice not to listen to Barney during 12 hour roadtrips. . . .

slaga
    In case people don't know, you need to have the premium cd/radio to get dual playback capacity.

The basic rear audio package only gives the rear passengers the ability to turn the radio/tape/cd off/on. It also allows rear passengers to turn the speakers off and listen with the headphones. However, you won't get the dual playback feature.

If you paid for the premium audio upgrade and your dual playback is not working, the dealer should fix the problem.

I've noticed a number of people don't realize that the dual playback feature is only available with the premium audio upgrade. (optional on the se/gxe) As a matter a fact, when I first bought my Quest even the sales person was misinformed. He told me that my van's rear audio had dual playback when it didn't.
This discussion has been closed.