Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• mdengmdeng Posts: 28
    excuse my grammer. i mean i have been through this not long ago.

i am in the process drop the Quest back to dealer, and get my money back. this should be done next week.
  • digger7digger7 Posts: 1
    We're thinking very seriously about buying a 1997 Nissan Quest (we were going to talk price today!). All this talk about crank shaft problems has me worried. Does anyone know if the problem was corrected before the 97's came out? The van is loaded...leather and all extras and in immaculate condition...40k miles...sticker price $17,900 (which is very much in line with the blue book value). We're hoping to get down to $16k. Ok, all you experienced Nissan people...please help!!
  • dc52dc52 Posts: 2
    In response to #356, I'm new to this site and we are considering buying another Quest because of great performance we have received. We have 105K on the '94 and have definitely gotten our moneys worth, but we have been experiencing this same intermittent problem for the last 9 months. As usual it works perfectly for the mechanic. We have tried the normal stuff, such as tune ups, fuel filters, O2 sensors, idle bypass valves, etc. There are no codes being registered on the computer. It also does not seem to be an electrical problem (high probability w/cars this old), but inline with a fuel problem. We have also tested the fuel pressure and it seems to be fine, too.
    This is the first real problem with the car, but my wife is getting scared to drive it (that's why we are looking). If I could get this fixed, we would keep the car for another 100K.
    Any other suggestions?????
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    I'm guessing it's your fuel pump. i have heard of intermittent stalling problems with Quests of that vintage due to a bad fuel pump or clogged pump screen.

Is your pump noisy? This might be a sign that it is on it's way out.

Check out the Villager/Quest forum at www.egroups.com . There has been some discussion of just this issue recently.

Dave
  • I have Quest GXE 1999 with 30k on it. Very happy with it so far.

1. About 3 month ago after I've changed breaks, I noticed that every time when I release breaks at traffic lights, they make a king of a grinding noise. Very definite noise. My dealer says it is normal and caused by friction of metal parts and he cannot do anything about it.

2.Also he told me that there is no air purifying filter on Quest 99. They exist only on 2000 models. From previous posts I thought I've read that someone changed them on 99.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Larry
  • pmahonypmahony Posts: 1
    ***COMING SOON***

For anyone who has suffered through the broken crankshaft problem, or has otherwise been "Shafted by Nissan":

www.nissanshafted.com
  • s_m_ss_m_s Posts: 3
    I was just quoted $4000 off MSRP for a 2000 SE w/cloth & comfort/convenience package. Final price is $21718. First, is this a good price? Second, are there rebates currently available? Edmunds doesn't have any listed, but there must be some rebates and/or incentives factored into this price. Thanks, from a dad w/ 2 kids and only 1 small car.
  • Hi, I have a 97 Quest GXE with 31K on it, and am experiencing a few problems: 1) the "swishing" noise coming from the steering wheel and it's also very slightly loose (?) where it attaches to the steering column (2) The "Check Engine" light just came on and stays lit (3) the stock CD player/changer has a mind of it's own - I think it's an electrical short...it just goes "off" when I hit a bump in the road and some of the rear speakers also come and go with bumps in the road. also the CD player will sometimes say "No DJ" when I try to turn it on, even though the CD changer stack thing is pushed in firmly.
    Anyone experience any of these and have any advice?
    Also how long to you suppose the "original equipment" tires that come on it new, will last? I have Goodyear Eagle LS which as "new" last 60,000 miles, but mine are looking a bit worn at 31K.
    thanks to anyone who can give some advice!
    Holly
  • llisallisa Posts: 3
    To stevenb 1-sorry I can't find the relevant Consumer's Report. We are having our engine replaced with a remanufactured engine. Nissan gave us 20% off the parts, the dealership gave us 25% off the labor. We aren't as happy as they think we shoud be! The service dept. insists they put our belts on correctly...and, well, who's to know? Its not like they keep a record of the specifications they used to tighten the belts. They did squeal on start up, a bad sign, I think, but not unusual, the damn things were aways squealing a little! So, it was take them to court and jprove they screwed up or eat it and trade the damn thing in as soon as possible. According to all the people I complained to at Nissan, the only possible reasons for a broken crankshaft were 1) one of those things, 2)off market parts 3) overtightened belts. They admitted that courts expect cars to go for 100K, rather than 84K, so #1 probably wasn't it, #2 wasn't an issue cuz we had it serviced by Nissan, so # 3 seems most likely. Those little pieces of rubber shouldn't hurt a big piece of metal, but in a Quest engine they can! I hope pat Mahoney means business about a class action suit, cuz I am irritated. A little bad publicity alone woud make me sleep better!
  • johnwngjohnwng Posts: 24
    We have a '99 Quest. It is under 10,000 miles. About a month ago, it starts to unlock all doors by itself during driving. This has happened many times. I heard about people locked out because of Quest's "auto" doorlocks. I am wondering if anyone has experienced "auto" door unlocks? I am not sure how to say to the dealer if it does not happened during their inspection. Appreciate advises. JW
  • I have a 97 Villager with a similar problem. About 2 months ago (of course just after my warranty expired) I started finding the car locked in the garage when I know we left it unlocked. Then it would sometimes lock whenever a door was slammed. It's gotten progressively worse - now it locks by itself all the time and when you unlock it with the remote it will instantly relock 2 or 3 times until it stays unlocked. It always randomly locks though - never unlocks. I thought it might be due to the remote battery dying or sending out a random signal but I eliminated that source. I took it to my Mercury dealer who couldn't find an obvious source (they suspect a ground obviously). They have an active service bulletin for Villagers randomly locking and unlocking while driving. Mine never does it while driving but we think the bulletin applies anyway. However the fix is basically a wholesale replacement of a bunch of places where a short could be. The bulltin lists a whole slew of places where water could have gotten in and caused a short to ground. My service advisor said they'll just replace switches and relays until they find one that makes it stop. He ordered parts for me which I'm waiting on. It could get pretty expensive out of warranty but he said Ford/Mercury would pick up part of the tab out of goodwill. He said I'd proably have to shell out about $100 as my share. We'll see.....
  • llisallisa Posts: 3
    Fiday last week we decided to get our 95 Quest engine replaced due to a broken crankshaft. We hammered out a deal with the service manager at Neil Huffman Nissan (Louisville KY) and my husband signed some order, they said the engine couldn't be ordered at 4 on a Friday, but they'd order it Mon. and we would get out car back the following mon. (long enough, hey). Here's what happened:
    Mon. husband gets a call at work to call them back. They don't call me at home (first number on their order). He calls back, lame service guy has lleft for the day and no one else can tell my husband why he was contacted.

Tues. my husband calls, they say he needs to sign something, so they fax him the same document he signed already. He signs it and his secratary faxes it back.

Fri. I get a call at home from service guy saying they havent ordered the engine because they need a signature. I call my husband's secretary and she refaxes the tired old document. I call the service manager and complain. He says he thought we werent' sure what we were going to do on the previous Friday, (but remembers my husband giving him a 10% coupon for oders placed!)and that they hadnt's done anything wrong. So I did the 1800Nissan1 thing and asked where my complaint would go. She said the manager of Neil Huffman. Well, I called him and he acted like, gee, your husband realy screwed up, didn't he? I'm going to pay these guys $3500 after they most likely messed up my belt replacements and this is their attitude? Then he told me maybe I shouldn't replace the engine after all, and I could come in to test drive another fine Neil Huffman product. As if!

Nissan, pease change your service dept name to something more accurate, like "Nissan Screwyou Dept"
  • rickrozrickroz Posts: 26
    I have a 99 SE with 23,000 miles, its been great so far except at higway speeds (65mph + ) the driver side mirror starts to shake and vibrate making every thing blurry. The dealer replaced the mirror assembly once, but this didn't fix the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem??
    My overall gas mileage has been so-so, a pretty steady 18 to 18.5 mpg since the day I bought it.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Those of us with Nissan Pathfinders are having a similar problem with the driver side mirror. Several of the posters have had the mirror replaced without any improvement. I just stuck with the original equipment. I hope some corrosion will develop eventually to tighten it up.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    I have a 99 Quest and they do it too. I had the service department look at them, and they pronounced them "normal". They had 3 new Quests on the lot, and those were all loose too.

I think these mirrors are out of the Ford parts bin, or made by a Ford supplier. I took a trip with a friend this summer in his Expedition and his mirrors vibrated on the highway just like mine.

This is not an earth shattering problem, but is annoying. I'd be even more annoyed if I had the problem on a $40,000 SUV though.

Dave
  • jkrolakjkrolak Posts: 38
    My 99 Quest GLE has absolutely no vibration in any mirror. Mirror vibration normally comes from out-of-round tires, worn tires, unbalanced tires or anything in the undercarriage that is not absorbing enough of road vibrations. If you WELDED the mirrors to the body, they would shake all the time. I've had Cadillacs that had badly shaking mirrors...some cars do and some cars don't. The worst car I had for shaking mirrors was a 78 Volvo.
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,591
    I have a 99 Quest SE that the driver's side mirror shakes also. It drives me nuts, but I had it at the dealership yesterday for some warranty stuff and a couple recalls. The tech told me that he didn't notice any excessive shaking and that they all shake a little. I guess I'll have to learn to ignore it, its still better than the mirrors on my hubby's diesel truck, those things are enough to make you sick. I also had a problem with the sunroof rattling when it was tilted, Chuck (the tech) called Nissan tech line and they told him that all Quest sunroofs rattle, its normal. They didn't have the parts in for the 2 recalls, so I have to take it back at some point, no biggie. But Chuck is pretty sure he figured out why the van was locking me out, he said there was a break in the harness, so he replaced that section and said it shouldn't do it again. I used to work at this Nissan dealer, so I know everybody, kind of helps sometimes. I have known Chuck for 3 years and he is one of the best Nissan techs I have ever seen. Its nice that he is the only one who ever touches my Quest. I am glad that this Nissan service department is excellent, since the only other Nissan dealership in the state is 300 miles from my house.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    I have an SE. No rattles, no shakes in or out

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    I haven't noticed anything unusual with my mirrors; I'll pay more attention. Talk to you later. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Town Hall Roving Host
  • my 2000 quest is making an unusual humming noise that can be heard (and felt) inside the cabin when the a/c is running, especially around 1400 rpm's as the engine is dropping back down toward idle..the dealership said that this is normal and that they checked a demo van and heard the same noise at a little higher rpm -- and that replacing the compressor wouldn't help since all quests seem to make this noise..the noise is most evident when the car is first cranked and seems to lessen or spread out over the rpm range after the a/c runs for a couple of minutes. if you check for this on your van, make sure that the doors are closed and the fan is on the lowest setting -- the sound should seem to resonate from the drivers side behind the dash. i suspect this is a bad or binding compressor causing alot of resistance, especially since the van seems extremely sluggish when the compressor is running.
    i'm hoing that a few other owners could check for this noise so i'll know whether to have it checked out again.
This discussion has been closed.