Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• I am considering purchasing as a second car for local use a single-owner 1994 Quest with 81,000 miles from a dealer; seems clean, quiet, and has performance. (1) Anyone know any reasons why this vehicle will not make 125,000 miles or better? (2) What particular problem(s) I should have my mechanic look for? (3) I have read about manifold problems are this board, are these detected visually or are diagnostic tools required? (4) Any major replacements required shortly (due to mileage) such as timing belts, etc.? Any input is appreciated, and thanking you in advance. KWJ
  • If your 94 quest was manufactured after Oct 93 then it will have the 105,000 mi Timing belt... any thing before Oct 93 will be a 60k mile timing belt...Be sure to check the fuel vent hose.. Our 1994 Quest GXE has just triped 100,000 miles and is still going...
  • robfilmsrobfilms Posts: 5
    looking at used 94 quest gxe w/60k miles. need it as 2nd vehicle so not frightened by miles. could use some thoughts on "sore" points w/this model.

engine reliaabilty? transmission? brakes? electrical? a/c?

at 60k there should be a major service, right? what would that involve?

all sharing is appreciated

tia

rob
  • lmeskerlmesker Posts: 2
    97 Villager, AC not working. Looks like compressor clutch isn't kicking in. Thanks for any help.
  • imohammedimohammed Posts: 6
    I am considering to buy a used 1995 Mercury Villager GS. It is a nice clean Van and drives pretty good. Is there any suggestions on anything special I should look on this Villager model before buying?

Thanks
  • lmeskerlmesker Posts: 2
    The Low pressure switch was bad
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    The big issue with these vans are the manifold bolts. Here's an archived discussion you may want to look through:

Mercury Villager Manifold Exhaust Bolts

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • thegrymethegryme Posts: 1
    Hi All.
    We just purchased a used 95 quest.....nice van but it has a coulple of monor problems. The drivers side rear brake light is out....I changed the bulb.....twice...and it is still out. All the other lights are working fine.....Am I missing something? A fuse or? The other problem is the alarm code. We didn't get it...is there a way to reset it to a default set of numbers or figure out the combo that is in it now?

Thanks!

Any help will be appreciated.

Ray
  • rutger56rutger56 Posts: 12
    The light for the HVAC controls went out a while ago. The dealer says that the only way to change it is to put in a new control unit,not just a bulb. This sounds strange to me. Any ideas? Is there just a bulb behind the controls? Is it easy to change?
  • rutger56rutger56 Posts: 12
    Yes, I have had the local Mercury dealer pick up my previous cost for replacing the filler hose,only about $70. A refund check was received about 2 weeks after my request.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    The dealer will tell you they have to replace the whole panel, but there is a bulb in there you can replace yourself. It's not a bulb you will be able to go to Wal-Mart and pick up though.

Check out this link for a discussion of how to get the bulb:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/villagerquest/message/3138

I would suggest that anyone with a maintenance or repair question on the Villager or Quest check out the Villagerquest archives at yahoogroups.com. (Not that I have anything against Edmunds!) There is a wealth of information to be found there.

Dave

• toolsellertoolseller Posts: 1
    First time user... am considering purchasing a Quest minivan...40k...8000.$.... what should I be wary of... what typical problems... gas mileage... give me your opinions please.
    Well, check out the True Market Value guide for pricing while you're waiting for other advice.

Steve
    Host
  • jazzerjazzer Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Quest GXE with 114,000+ miles on it. The van is going strong and the only problems that I have had are related to bulbs. I have replaced the famous brake light bulbs but also the dashboard illumination bulbs (2 times). I am still having an issue with the front A/C little green light that tells you if the A/C is on or not. Seems like I have to replace the entire circuit board to get the light to work.

I want to thank y'all for the information on repairing the rear heater blower. While I was not able to solder the bad connection, I followed the instruction on bypassing the relay and jumpering the car side of the plug. Rear blower works fine now. Hope the fix lasts.

Thanks,

Raj
  • mandipmandip Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Mercury Villager, 41, 500 miles. It runs okay so far with no problems but lately check Engine Light came on. Anybody had this problem. Do I really have to go to Dealer or a routine mechanic shop can find the code. Help
  • wojnawojna Posts: 1
    Our 96 Quest has 50K miles on it. About 2 months ago, we started having difficulty starting the van. We'd have to crank the engine 2 to 3 times before it would start. After 3 weeks of this problem, we took it to the dealer and it wouldn't act up for 2 days. Dealer's diagnostic tests found nothing wrong. Apparently this Quest has a sense of humor. After 2 months of starting right up, the problem is back again. The van requires several 2 to 4 cranks to start, hot or cold engine. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Sulfur smell in a 95 Villager GS. Seems I saw a service bulletin refer to this, but don't know where to see a copy of the actual details. What to do? How do I make the smell go AWAY!

erikandbrenoh
  • rsmith757rsmith757 Posts: 1
    The rear a/c and heater fan motor stopped working over a period of a couple of months. At first you could get it to work by cycling and tapping on the forward panel rear seat fan control switch, Then it just quit working altogether. I have checked all fuses,replaced the rear seat fan control switch on the front panel and bench checked the fan motor and it is fine. I checked the power leads to the rear control panel and it's not getting any electrical power. Any ideas, thanks.
    So many questions, so few answers. Guess interest in Quests and Villagers has waned since they are going to be orphaned soon.

mandip, wojna, erikandbrenoh, and rsmith757 please check out this link for some notes on check engine lights, hard starting (in hot weather anyway) gas (not really sulfur?) smells and the rear A/C blower.

Also follow the link there to Steve Cutchen's page for more info on most of these questions. Steve sold his '93 minivan, but he collected some good stuff there and it's still on his page. Maybe one of you will hit a home run and find an easy fix.

Please let us know how it works out.

Steve
    Host

• pvinhpvinh Posts: 2
    Our 99 Villager has been acting up lately. The brakelights would not turn off by themselves until the brake pedal is pumped a few times. The problem tends to get worse when the road is wet. Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.