Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    No cover on my 2000 Villager 3.3L engine. The plug wires are very easy to trace to the "wells" that hold the plugs. I couldn't find the service life recommendation for the plugs in the owners manual, so I looked it up in my Haynes manual. It said 30K miles to the first spark plug change.

Almost unbelievable that the 2004 Quest STILL has the window switch wear-out problem! They coulda fixed it so easily on this new model.
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Posts: 47
    Today I changed my fuel filter with a Purolater brand...cost $10. The filter is located underneath the driver's side about halfway back underneath a triangular cover. You have to remove 4 rusty metric bolts (I used an adjustable wrench) that has a size between 3/8 and 7/16. To remove the filter, unscrew the bolt holding the metal strap around filter, and the clamps at each end where the rubber fuel lines are connected. Pull off each fuel line and enjoy the fresh smell of gasoline as it soaks you. Replace your new filter in the reverse manner making sure you have the direction of the flow correct. Not a job to perform with a cigarette in your mouth.
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    I have a '99 Quest and have the same problem with my tach. It broke around 45,000. Still broke. Did you get your fixed?

Sopman
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,312
    I got my hands on a broken driver's side combo window switch today and swapped it for my balky one. Same issue.

The replacement one will work to raise my driver's window if I pull back hard on it and hold it for a second or two. Jiggling the window in the track seems to help too.

So I put my balky one back in since there was no improvement.

Like Dave said, there's nothing inside except circuit boards that I can see. I couldn't get underneath the boards - is there a trick to getting the switch covers off too?

Steve, Host

ps - thanks for the part Jim!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Don't wait on the $85.00 solution until your upholstery gets rained on. It almost happened to me. The only saving grace is that to have had the dealer do the whole job would have run the bill up to maybe $250.00... ouch!
    It doesn't rain in Boise :-)

When I had this issue under warranty they replaced the window motor. So I'm a little dubious if it's just the switch. I also don't mind living a little bit dangerously (maybe some duck tape and clear plastic needs to be tossed in with the jack though <g>).

Steve, Host

A while back I traded in my factory steel wheels that came on my base model 2000 Villager. I now have DeVino five spoke aftermarket wheels from Discount tire. I really like them, and feel that they do a lot in appearance for this otherwise very plain minivan. Now I find that the spare tire is dry rotting on the rim, and deserves a little attention. There seems to be no way available or reasonable to get a brand new tire to go on the "doughnut wheel" that is carried outside the vehicle, under the cargo space, hanging from a cable. You know the situation to which I allude. Is there adequate room and clearance to successfully suspend a full size wheel and tire there without negative consequences? What do you think is the best course of action?
    I got a universal rim for my '99 Quest when it was new and I've been carrying a full size spare underneath for years now.

You may be able to find an OEM rim at a salvage yard; I tried that first before settling for the universal.

Steve, Host

• kymikekymike Posts: 115
    A full size wheel/tire will fit underneath. I had one on my '93. I believe that they come with the towing package.
  • thong24kthong24k Posts: 23
    My Quest'01 fan won't stop and cause the car start problem. It's drain all the battery. Does anyone have this problem? I have this problem once before when I purchased it brand new at year'00. But once I recharged battery it never occured again till today. I attemp to do the same thing, but this time it won't work. Can anyone help me? I will take it to Nissan tomorrow, but want to have some idea what's wrong with the van?
    Since I bought Quest'01, I always have problem with it. Most of them were electircal problem. Here is the list of problem with my Quest'01:
     1. VCR stop working the first year and I can never pull it out since I bought it. It stuck and the pull knob broke. I didn't bother to fix it.
     2. cd player/radio light went out..again didn't bother to fix it since it still working.
     3. some part of tranmission loosen at very first week when bought it..got it fix at dealer.
     4. air sensor went out the first year..got it fix
     5. fan won't stop running when turn off engine.. this happen first time when bought the van at very first two weeks..never took to dealer since can be recharge battery and work..then today happen again, but this time can't do just charging battery..
     6. noise in the van..dealer said that the way Nissan was..Hah
    Does anyone have same problem? I guess after I fix this one up will trade in for Honda..I hated Nissan..Never recommend it to anyone else. Nissan service was bad too.
    Will this problem be cover by powertrain warrenty?
  • mnranamnrana Posts: 2
    Hi, New to town hall.
    I have a 99 Villager (base model), 81K. The A/C blower fan has stopped working on the 1,2,3 settings in the last 2-3 days & now only works on 4 or 'max'. I think it's a bad resistance that controls the fan switch. Can someone help me fix it? A wiring diagram perhaps showing location of the bad part.

I have browsed webpages by Steve Cutchen, Marco Veenis & David Massey but my problem is just the switch since I don't have rear A/C blower.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    mnrana@hotmail.com
  • mnranamnrana Posts: 2
    Dave,

Do you by any cahnce still remember the part # for that resistor. Mine blew last night & I need to replace it ASAP, this being summer n'all.

Thanks,
    Rana.
  • gtyatesgtyates Posts: 14
    I had something very similar happen on my wife's 94 Quest. It turned out to be the wrong bulbs had been put in by the dealer when the sockets were replaced. I got the correct bulbs, as listed in the owner's manual, and the problem was corrected.
    You might want to check the 1993-2001 Villager/Quest Haynes manual for help on those electrical problems.
  • Since we purchased our Quest '01, we also continually have problems with it. We knew the dealer personally so we got a great deal on it, however, we are continually repairing it. We purchased an extended warranty on it after reading in a consumer guide somewhere that small things often break on the Quests, and the warranty has more than paid for itself over and over again. I am working on compiling a list of problems we have had, many are electrical, others are common problems we've heard Nissans have. Our VCR has broken twice now, and is no longer covered under even the extended warranty. Our stereo broke, it has already been replaced once, and it also is past warranty, or not covered under the warranty, which I am working on disputing. We've had an oil leak, that took four visits to finally resolve. Two seat belts have been broken, the back end doesn't fit properly so it makes noise whenever you turn. After we first purchased it, it would simply cut off while driving it. It happened three times, all in heavy traffic, once on an exit ramp off a highway. The dealer never could figure out why it did that, but it stopped. Now the ignition is not working right, we've had it checked twice and been told there is nothing wrong with it or the battery. But each time I try to start the car, it makes a terrible sound and I wonder if I'm going to be stranded.
    I keep hearing that all the Nissans that were manufactured in Ford plants (you can tell this information under the hood) have electrical problems. If this is so, why isn't there any legal action or recalls going on?
    I'm with you..thong24k...trying to save to purchase a Honda and get out of this Nissan. I'm really disappointed in the car.
    Ford assembled the Quest alongside the Mercury Villager and I've always heard that some of the electrical stuff came from Ford or its suppliers. The drivetrain mostly came from Nissan in Japan and the body panels were stamped by Nissan in Tennessee.

My drivers side power window switch is flaky (a common problem with older and apparently the new Quest) and it was supplied by Alps.

Otherwise my '99 hasn't had near the problems that yours has had.

Steve, Host

Yeah, I heard that Nissan have the problem with electrical problem, but too many for me now. Especially, I ran out of warranty. When I told my friend that I'm looking for new car; she said Nissan has a nice one out, I immediately said no Not ever Nissan again. The mileage I got is bad, too. I have two young kids(5 and 3) riding with me all the time. I need more liable car. I also have the chevy express van which I decide to keep that one since my kids love it. It's huge and comfortable to them. That why I need just a passenger car for my husband to drive to work. It'll be save a lot of gas for everyday commute about an hour driving from home to work and back. I just got quote for Honda Civic LX auto 4dr sedan for 13888 which I think it's pretty good deal. We're looking to trade in the Quest in the amount of $10000. If the deal goes well then we're definitely buy it. My mother in law has her Accord for over 10 yrs. never have any problem with the car except regular maintainance. I think I'll go with that.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    Don't have the part number for the resistor, but if you call the dealer parts department and ask for the front blower motor resistor they will know what you are talking about.

It is located on the underside of the dashboard on the passenger side. Look for an oblong thing about 3" long with wires going into it, held in place with a screw. If you unscrew it you can pull it out and disconnect the wires & take it to the parts counter with you.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • haven't been reading current messages for a long time but thought i would post that while my 93 villager (bought new) has always had it's electrical quirks the darn thing just won't die and it just logged it's 279,000th mile and still doesn't use any oil between changes (3000 mi). am i ever going to get another new car? can't bring myself to do it. the value of this one is about zero but it just keeps putting money in the bank for me.
    You're my hero, Joe!

Steve, Host

• Joe's testimonial is exactly the reason I purchased my Quest. It wasn't the most refined or cleverly designed van on the market at the time, but it sure had a good reputation for long term durability.

I've been in old Villager/Quests, and yes they do rattle and some of the internal bits aren't where they should be or are completely non-operational, but the vehicles still run - which is any vehicle's most valuable trait.

My 2001 SE has only bothered me with one unscheduled maintenance item (VERY minor and fixed under warranty) in 55,000 miles of ownership. I couldn't ask for much more.
  • Thank God I found this chat. Bought a 95 Quest, the rear end has squeaks, tried replacing the shocks(no good) tried WD-40 on leaf springs (helped for a day) are there grease fitting? has anyone every corrected this noise problem?
    Thanks
    Have you isolated where the noise is coming from?

Try removing the hanging spare for a day or two to rule that out.

The only thing else that occurs to me off-hand is the rear brakes. You might try hosing the wheels down good to get rid of any brake dust or just have someone look at them.

Steve, Host

• Thanks Steve,
    I got under the car and had my son push the rear bumper up & down, the noise is definetly from the leaf springs. I took a 1/4 inch washer and put it in- between the two leaf springs and guess what?, it stopped. Maybe I could buy some spring spaces for a more permanent solution. Yes, the guts of the rear brakes have alot of dust in there and could really use a lube on the contact points of the brake hardware. Wonder what the deal with the leaf springs is? I'll keep investigating. Thanks, again. Darrell / Las Vegas
  • I heard and felt a similar problem with my 95 quest when accellarating from a stop, it's my outter CV JOINTS on both sides.
    Good Luck shohjwh
    Maybe you could use spring clamps (look like muffler clamps, but no curve). I'll admit I haven't seen any in quite a few years.
    My driver's window electric switch in my 2000 Villager, which I changed at outrageous cost, is holding up fine. Has anyone out there had to change that switch group more than once?
    Lots of people have had to change the drivers side power window switch, but I haven't anyone complaint that they've had to do it twice.

Yet :-)

Steve, Host

• jlemolejlemole Posts: 345
    I have a 2001 Quest SE. The driver's side of the third row seat is not locking into place when I slide it forward or back. This causes that side of the seat to move and rattle. It appears that the "pin" is not springing back into the hole on the floor rail. Any ideas on a way to fix it?

Jon
This discussion has been closed.