Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• kymikekymike Posts: 115
    I have been very happy with my Yokohama Avid Touring tires. About 12,000 miles and not showing much wear, where the original tires were well worn after 28,000 miles. The evaluations on Tire Rack were what led me to this tire also.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Just curious. Can someone tell me if the engine oil capacity is different for the 2002 Quest vs previous years? Perhaps someone can look in their owner's manual and tell me what it says.

My 2002 Quest owner's manual (section 9-2) says the capacity is only 4 quarts of oil if you're changing the oil filter; and 3 7/8ths quarts if you're not changing the oil filter. I thought my previous 99 Quest used around 4.5 quarts per change.

The reason I'm asking is because I just had my oil changed, and I noticed the oil is above the overfill line (not good). Also, on the ticket, they've written down 5 quarts. From now on, I'll need to remind my dealer only use 4 quarts. Anyone else had that experience? Thanks.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    I've had that experience, but I did it myself :-). My '99 takes ~4.5 quarts with a filter change. I put ~4.8 qts in when I stopped to double check the owner's manual. It was barely over the full mark so I ignored it.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That's a 1/2 quart less for the 2002 Quest. I'm wondering what kind of changes they've made on the engine specs since 99 to require less oil? Does anyone here know?

Also, I'm wondering if I should have them redo my oil. If they put in 5 quarts, they put in 20% more than needed. What do people think? Would it hurt to have it that way for the next 3k miles?

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

That much overfill couldn't be good - I'd be concerned about fouling the sensors if nothing else. Best ask them to redo it or take a quart out I think.

Dave? Corsica? Anyone?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• The Nissan manual for earlier Quests was very specific about not overfilling the oil, but it is easy enough to get the extra quart out if they use a marine type suction pump. Good luck!
  • My 2001 Quest SE takes about 4.5 quarts. That amount puts the oil level right to the top of the full range on the dip stick.

Has anybody had an experience with a 1999-2002 Quest/Villager burning oil? I have 22,000 miles on my van and have never burned a drop.
    To Steve, cchalverson, and corsicachevy- Thanks for the feedback on the oil. My owners manual also mentions to not overfill.

This morning I had the problem corrected. It turns out the oil capacity has changed to 4 quarts for 2002 Quests, because Nissan changed the size of the oil pan for 2002 models. Thanks again.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    My 99 Quest owner's manual I believe (this is from memory, you have been warned!) calls for 4 3/8 quarts when the oil & filter are changed.

I've always changed my own oil and found that exactly 4 quarts brings it right up to the full mark on the dipstick. I'm guessing that they didn't make any changes to the later engines, just refined what they put in the manual as the capacity. I'd be surprised if they made a change to the oil pan on it just in time for the last year of production, but who knows?

If your oil is over the full mark, I'd have them take some out.

As far as burning oil, so far with 76,000 miles haven't experienced it yet. Though I did have a bad oil filter that was leaking a while back, enough that I had to add some oil. I've changed my oil & filter every 3,000-4,000 miles (using Castrol part synthetic), so I wouldn't expect much engine wear yet.

Dave
    Dhoff- That's a good point. My owner's manual also states that the capacity levels are approximate... and the actual refill capacity will depend on the temperature and drain time.

Btw, I was just at the Auto Zone where their computers showed that both the 2001 and 2002 Quest oil capacity was "4 quarts" if changing the oil & filter. However, the 2000 and earlier models required more oil... at least according to their computers. Talk later.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• hi...hope you guys/girls have some info for me. First, my tachometer stopped working....it still moves every once in awhile but not fluidly...any tips on troubleshooting?? Next, where is the fuel filter...is it difficult to replace? im nearing 30,000 miles and dealer wants 235.00 for service..im going to try to do all the filter changes myself. Does anyone know where to find what transmission # i have. Its is unclear in the manual as to when to change the transmission fluid. every 5,000 it says to inspect and only change every 30,000 idf you have a particular transmission.....thanx for any info
  • I'm new to this message board and a new Villager owner. I just purchased a 2001 Villager with a little less than 24,000 miles. I've noticed twice now that when driving in stop-and-go traffic, upon acceleration, the engine seems to "jump" slightly (thats the only way I can describe it). No other problems and it seems to run fine in other traffic conditions. I've never owned a mini van and a 6 cylinder and my question is: would this be normal, or is this something to have looked at. Any input would be appreciated!
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    I have a 99 Quest and my tachometer quit working some time ago. It usually just sticks in one spot, even with the engine shut off, but sometimes it jumps around. I believe it's the head unit that is bad, since it will stick even if the ignition is off (it is recieving no electrical signal then, so it shouldnt). A replacement head unit is available from online Nissan parts places for about $70, I haven't decided if I should try to change it out myself yet or not. It's really not needed with an automatic transmission, but it's nice to have.

I haven't replaced my fuel filter yet, but I should. Don't know how hard it is to get to.

The manual doesn't say when to replace the transmission fluid. 30,000 is a good time to do it. I just changed mine at 75,000 miles, and I probably should have before that. It's pretty easy to do since there is a drain plug for it. I got about 4 quarts out when draining it. I also added a bottle of Lubeguard treatment when I filled it back up. (Someone gave me a good tip on this, the trick is to put back in exactly what you took out. I used clean milk jugs to measure how much came out.) Shifting is noticably smoother now.

Kristorr, not sure what you mean by the engine jumping, but I have never noticed this in our van. Do the engine rpm's jump up or down when this happens? If you could describe what happens in a bit more detail it would help. But, it does sound like something is not right.

Dave
  • I think once you get used to the accelerator petal on your van you will be OK . I hadn't driven a 6 cly. car since the Nash I had back in the 60-70's. (what a dog) when I got my 99 Villager estate I was absolutly amazed at the power that is in this 6 cly. engine. It nearly jumps from under you. It is one really snappy , nice Van. I'm sure you will learn to love it.
  • "It nearly jumps from under you. It is one really snappy , nice Van." - cookie.

I'll admit that the Quest/Villager is a nice van, especially for the money. I love my 2001 Quest. Snappy? I realize that you are a long term four cylinder fan, but 4000lbs and 170hp does not make for a "snappy" vehicle. Did you move up from a 1976 Rabbit diesel? :-) It would have been nice if Nissan would have equiped the SE models with the 210hp supercharged version of the 3.3V6 - 210hp and 240lb-ft of torque would have made for a "snappy" van.
    I wonder if Kristorr's problem is the old dirty throttle body issue?

Steve, Host

• I have driven Cadillac's since 1974. But they got so expensive and look so much like everything else on the road I thought I'd try a Van . I traded my 95 Cadi . for the 99 Villager and still contend that for a 4000 lb. 6 cl. it is a nice , snappy piece of work.
  • Our key fob is getting weak. Does anyone know if the battery(ies) can be replaced or do we replace the entire key fob? Thanks!
  • Steve,

Can you expand a little on the dirty throttle bottle issue?

Dhoff, I really didn't pay attention to the rpms, but I will in the event that it happens again.

Cookie22 - so far I really do love the Villager. Great handling and so much room (last car was a Cavalier!), but the accelerator has taken some getting used to.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great! Thanks a lot!
    Often a "sticky pedal" symptom in Quests/Villages is caused by a dirty throttle body. Here's a post on how to clean it yourself:

dhoff Jan 24, 2001 4:54pm

Steve, Host

This discussion has been closed.