Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• kymikekymike Posts: 115
    I guess that I will either have to replace the sensor or do what you did and disconnect it so that the light never goes on. On the Villager, you have to remove the right front wheel and fender liner to get to the tank. I'll do this when I get better weather.

Thanks for the reply.
  • I have a 97 Villager. In the past year or so, I have noticed delayed starting. I have pin pointed the problem to a leaky fuel pump check valve. So the remedy is simple, just turn the ignition key on for 5 seconds, let the line built up pressure, then one crank, it starts. But I know the fix is in the fuel tank, and more involved. I think a new fuel pump assembly, since my guess is that the fuel pump assembly will be all one unit. Has anyone experienced the same? And what was the cost for this repair? I assume there is no TSB on this.
  • okmomokmom Posts: 37
    We got sticky throttle body.
    We tried to clean it.
    Oh, well...
    We couldn't remove the air filter.
    (That is first step, right?)
    We couldn't open the box...
    We fond TWO clamps, where are other twos?

We will bring the car to the mechanic ...
    Anyone knows how much is reasonable charge for this?

we will have turn-up same time.
    For tune-up, he will charges $250-300.

2000 quest se
    58000 miles
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,915
    I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to open the box the first time I swapped the air filter on our '99 Quest.

There are three clamps on the air filter, one on top and two on the bottom.

That said, the throttle body is another foot towards the center of the engine compartment. Look for the 2 cables that end in a semi-circle gizmo downstream of the air filter box stuff. That's connected to the throttle air plate or whatever it's called.

You'll see a radiator type clamp near the cables - loosen that and pull the hose back to get access to the throttle plate and all the carbon that needs to be cleaned out.

If you can't get the hose back far enough, then you may need to unclamp the air filter box and finagle it out of the way.

It sounds harder than it is, and there's probably a better description in here that you could find with a Discussion Search.

Steve, Host
  • Bought 1998 Ford Mercury Villager in November 2002, after two weeks test driving it. Had 65,130 miles and no serious problems listed on carfax. Drove great until 8 months later, August 6, 2003. The transmission was slipping. We had bought an extended 24/24 bumper to bumper warranty from DaimlerChrysler so, only had to plucked down our $100 deductable to keep it fixed and let out a big sigh of relief. Speed forward to today, January 16, 2004. They have put 4 new and rebuilt transmissions into this van, and it still send a "service engine" lite warning out. When they put it on the computer, it always says something is wrong with the transmission; some code starting with 10 I was told. I am told part of the problem is that its a hybrid build; Nissan and Ford agreed to make this van together, and sell it under their own van names. Ford put it together and Nissan supplied the parts. I've been told Nissan service centers are well aquainted with this problem and know all the ins and outs of fixing it. I even called up the nearest repair center and asked if he'd be willing to talk to my Ford service manager to help him out. He was happy to do so, but couldn't get the service manager to call him.

Bottom line - I am applying presurre to the dealership I bought it from to do a buy-back by writing essages on my van windows,

"Don't Buy a Ford & Don't Trust **** Dealership! Beep At Me and I'll Tell You Why!"

If they do beep me, I hand them a nicely printed out sheet explaining in detail my situation. I am also hitting all the internet consumer sites telling my story. Last I heard the two service managers involved were pressuring the dearlership owner to do something cause they are tired of seeing me in person and getting calls. THey haven't seen the message van yet, but I am sure when they do that will make their drop in sales and service more understandable. Especially in such a small community as we are, 18,000. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
    Another plug for the search tools - if you look for transmission posts in here, you really won't find all that many. It sounds more like a dealer issue than a tranny issue.

fyi, pre-'04 Quests were built (mostly) with drivetrains shipped over from Japan to Ohio, where the parts (including sheetmetal from TN) were assembled by Ford employees.

Steve, Host
  • Did I post my comments on the wrong thread? Topic Title of Discussion says
    "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager Problems"
    I figured that included my problem. If not can you suggest another thread that is more appropriate?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I have to agree with the host that it is mostl likely a problem with the dealership rather then the part. That's a pretty lame excuse they gave you about the "hybrid" build and how Nissan made the part s and Ford put it together.

I highly doubt your smear campaign against the dealership will help and quite honestly will only hurt your case. You are not the first unhappy customer and Ican guarantee you won't be the last. As my foks once told me, you can get more with honey then with vinegar.

Since the Nissan folks are supposingly familar with this repair, why not take it to a Nissan dealership to get it fixed esp. since you have warranty. If the warranty is only good at this dealership, talk to the service manager and see if they can arrange some sort of agreement with a Nissan dealership to get this van fixed.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a buy-back considering you ahve had the van for over a year. Yes they have had t put 4 trannies in it but I don't think there are lemon law rules pertaining to used cars esp. with over 60k miles. I could be wrong.

Good luck with your van
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    I can remember reading on this or another Villager/Quest forum, a lot of times the CEL will come on and the code stored will be "incorrect gear ratio gear 3" or gear 2, something like that. It usually turns out being the TPS.

Might be worth a try to have the dealer replace that, it's a lot easier and less expensive than a transmission.

Dave
    TPS being the throttle position sensor?

Steve, Host
    Yes, sorry. The throttle position sensor. It's a lot harder to misspell TPS!

Dave
  • Recently, my 96 villager has a liquid/water noise coming from the under radio/storage box whenever a
    gas is pressed. It seems like air in some pipes
    making the noise. I took out radio/storage box, cannot figure out where/which pipe making the
    noise. Does anybody have the similar problem
    before? Only when the gas pedal is pressed, the
    liquid noise will come out. Thanks.
  • My 96 Quest had a sudden RPM jump to 3500 during normal highway driving (NO AC) at 50 mph twice in two weeks. What are the possible reasons for such jump? The car is running fine otherwise.

Any thought? Thanks.
  • usma82usma82 Posts: 8
    Sounds like a Transmission issue. When you say RPM jump I assume you don't mean the transmission is slipping. If so, then I think you might have a wiring problem related to the transmission. The Transmission has an electronic overdrive that can be turned On and OFF via a switch on the shift lever. I think there may be an electical problem that is turning the overdrive Off.
  • We have a 1995 Nissan Quest which needs another tire replacement w/in a few thousand miles.

The orig. tires were Goodyear Eagle "H"-rated size 215/70R15 (97H). This van had larger tires because it had the optional towing pkg. - not that we needed it - it was just a left-over '95 model at years end. Most of these Quest vans did not have H-rated tires; most tire charts do not even show it as an option when I was looking for the first replacement tires.

In any event, at 45K miles the Goodyears had to be replaced. Installed Michelin MXV4, same size but V-rated (97V). The only "H" rated we could get was the Goodyear again. Even one Goodyear store did not have a high opinion of them and they were more expensive than Michelins!

After about 40K miles and 5 years on the Michelins, they are due for replacement soon. Is there any reason to replace with an H or V-rated tire for this van? We do haul things in it occasionally, but not more than 500 lbs.

When we were getting the last set, some tire stores recommended an S or T-rated tire; others would not install anything less than an H-rated tire. Even the Nissan dealer was not sure - more or less said should buy a H-rated tire. The other day, a tire dealer said that if I had bought an S or T-rated Michelin, it would still be good for another 30K miles rather than needing replacement now.

This van does not need an H or V-rated for speed. Lucky if we can get up to 70mph in 2 minutes.

Even so, it has been a good van and serves its purpose and is not worth anything on a trade or resale.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I am at a dead-end on this. Hope that some of you have this type van w/ the larger tires. Did not get much response in the tires forum.

Thanks,
    Henry
  • usma82usma82 Posts: 8
    Any tire listed in your owners manual would be an acceptable replacement. It sounds like you already know about the speed ratings of tires so I wont go into why the H speed rating isn't required for your van.

I just got a set of tires for my 2000 Villager. I used the following web site which had a very good rating system,(http://www.tirerack.com/). I ended up getting Yokohama Avid Touring tires which were the top rated tire for my van. So far I have been very happy with them. They cost about $45 each.
  • m6chem6che Posts: 18
    Just wanted to mention that I used the link for the radio display fix (See msg # 1399) http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/index.htm) about a year ago on my 99 Quest when the display went dead.

I paid for the detailed info and tried fixing the solder connections on the power supply board myself. Couldn't get it to work, so I sent the board in for a repaired board, credited for the money I'd already paid, then sent my old board back in the same box.

I'm very happy and the display has worked fine for a year now. You know, even though it's a relatively trivial problem, it's the most annoying thing since it stares you in the face every time you get in the van!

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the website or individual running it; just confirming it worked for me.
    I had to go back and look, sure enough, I posted that link. I'm glad it worked for you. Sounds like the exchange program is the way to go. Though, I hope I never have to use it!

Dave
  • Could you teach me how pop the interior door trim?
    I want to change side mirror of my van,
    but I could not find out the way to pop the door panel of driver side.
    What year is your Quest?

Mine's a '99. On it, you have to remove a screw in the door handle where the power window switches are, and then gently pop the panel out by popping the clips. Start at the bottom, and use something like a putty knife on the first two or three. The top of the panel slides down into the window glass channel area, so after you pop the clips you lift the panel up and out.

There's a trianglar plastic panel opposite the mirror that also comes off (one screw?). You have to remove the door light connection at the bottom of the door too. The mirror itself attaches to the door with three bolts (plus the wiring harness), iirc.

If you break a clip, Home Depot supposedly has replacements.

Why are you replacing your driver side mirror? Did you drop a canoe on it? (j/k).

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.