Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Power Steering Problems

herby1herby1 Posts: 3
Have a 08 Mazda5, 19k, power steering failed twice, currently at the Mazda Dealership for over 8 weeks and counting. Major back order on parts according to the dealership.

Wrote a letter to Mazda Canada regarding parts availability but got the ran around....

Anybody else having this issue????

Comments

• vg33e powervg33e power Posts: 314
    Please provide more details on failure. What happened? Which part is back-ordered? How it failed?
  • herby1herby1 Posts: 3
    According to the mechanic its the power steering pump. It will stop working intermittently.

When it happens all you can do is turn off the vechicle, wait for a few minutes then it works again.

In my case it stop while I'm on the Highway...
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    I think (note I'm not an expert) the power steering pump is the same one as for the Mazda3 (2.3L S trim) so I wonder why it has to be back ordered if that car is so popular and this does not sound like a common problem. Just check here, the illustrations give you a good idea:

http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    I've also experienced loss of power steering in the way described, and was not too happy about it. However, I would not stop on the side of the road -- the car is still drivable enough to get out of the way.
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    Based on postings from other forums, the steering problem is a known , and is shared by 3 owners.
    Interesting, I own 2 Mazda5s (06 and 08) and I'm familiar with their flaws by this point in time, yet this is one I haven't heard of. Knocking on wood then :D
  • m5indgm5indg Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had an issue with their 5's pulling to the right? I have a 2 week old 5 and noticed that it pulled slightly to the right and brought it in to the dealer to have the alignment checked and they said that it was "within spec" and that the pull might be due to the crown of the road. I have driven on roads that were flat as a pancake and it still pulls to the right. I am going to bring it back in for them to double check. Anyone else have similar issue or care to comment? Thanks.
  • dclurkerdclurker Posts: 57
    My '07 5 doesn't pull to either side, but the brake pedal "thumps" when you take your foot off it. When I asked the dealer to adjust it, I was told "Oh, they all do that", which I believe is a lie. My point is that, no, your 5 should not pull, but you're probably going to have a tough time getting the dealer to do anything about it. They'd much rather do highly profitable maintenance work than warranty repairs.
    Lotsa luck.
  • drb05drb05 Posts: 24
    I bought my car in Canada and imported recently (4 months) to TX. Its been a 1 1/2 yrs since I have had this new 08 car.

Just last week, twice steering wheel failed. It will just lock and orange indicator light comes on. After a period of rest, it works fine.

When it locks - one cannot turn the steering wheel - feels very very hard. Dangerous - if it happens on the highway.

Mazda dealer refused to do anything with it, stating that they have to see the car when it has the problem. Ridiculous. Tomorrow I am going to call them. If not I shall take it up with Mazda. Can somebody suggest me how to do it?
    It seems that a technical service bulletin (TSB) has been issued by Mazda related to this problem. Your Mazda dealer should have access to it (TSB: 06-002/09)

Related technical service bulletins are updated here: http://www.finishlineperformance.com, I assume that this one will be posted there in the near (?) future
  • drb05drb05 Posts: 24
    Yes. You were right. Thanks

Dealer fixed the car according to the TSB: 06-002/09.

Its been a week, and I haven't noticed any problem yet.

Iam surprised that I saw this issue in 08 - canadian based car.

drb
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    I've had my 08 for a year and the power steering went out for the first time yesterday. Luckily I was in a parking lot when it happened. I just turned the car off and back on and it was OK. I hope it doesn't happen again.
  • herby1herby1 Posts: 3
    You should get it diagnose, guarantee there will be an error code. Also it wll happen again....

You will end up replacing the pump..
  • m506m506 Posts: 1
    I have an on going right pull issue with my 2006 Mazda5. I thought it was the tires, so I replaced them, had aligned and balanced at reputable shop. Mazda dealer/service started with the crown in the road and then wanted to do their own alignment, still pulled. Went back to tire place. They rotated the tires, replaced the tires, etc., still pulls right. Contacted Mazda North America and they are involved but are not really doing anything. The regional representative saw no need to meet with me. Now the rear shocks are leaking fluid. Mazda scheduled a warranty repair. We'll see how that goes. They don't want to really get in to it. I have been working this for 6 months now.
  • Just had my steering pump replaced. Please get your pump replaced b4 the warranty runs out. Mazda will not nitify you for repair of this unit. The pump cost was $1277.00 plus the labor hours of $165.00. The part# isBR5V-32-600G. So happens that mine failed on a straight road three times in a row. It of course set a code that the dealership could verify here in Illinois. 2006 Mazda 5
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    This is electric right?
    Why do you say the Mazda would not notify about it? Is there a buletin for it?
  • Mazda has no obligation to notify owners if it is not an official recall (or any other manufacturer for that matter). If it is a TSB (technical service bulletin), but it does not happen to your car, then Mazda has no obligation to repair nor change the part. For a TSB Mazda needs to be able to either see or replicate the problem so to take action. TSBs only affect certain owners, not all. How they differentiate between a recall and a TSB, hell knows :D

Now, the TSB listed earlier does not affect 2006 Mazda5s, so your may just have had bad luck, no car is perfect :(
  • Well said coolmazda5. I must say, however, that a steering pump failure is a very harrowing experience. Especially since I had just driven through the Tennessee mountains the day b4, where a car can reach speeds of 80 mph going down hill without any accelerator depression. I do think Mazda should have notified owners to be on the lookout for any problems with the steering system. I can't say that I am a fan of this electric steering gizmo. Maybe an emergency back-up system would provide more safety.
  • I hear you, sounds scary, regardless of TSB or not, that is why I'm baffled about the differences between TSBs and recalls.

But now, I'm sure is not just a Mazda decision, it has to be influenced by the NHTSA. Just see the latest Toyota recall about the floor mats, to me that is a TSB but... :confuse:
  • Hello there,
    My 2007 Mazda 5 (drove only 6000 miles as of May 31st 2009) encountered an accident (collision with another vehicle). I was found unconscious after the accident (my 5-year old daughter was dead). The accident occured because my Mazda was in the otherside of the 2 way road. By the other side i mean my Mazda 5 crossed the middle yellow line of the road and went into the otherside to block cars coming from the opposite direction. The investigation found nothing wrong with the vehivle. I can not also recall anything before and after the accident. I was not taking any medications or alcohol...and i was driving for about 30 minutes before the accident in a sunny/clear afternoon in New hempshere.
    Do you think it could be a steering problem?

Many thanks.