Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Power Steering Problems

Comments

• m506, I hope your alignment/pull issue resolves itself. I am happy to say that now after about 8 months and 6000 miles I do not notice any pull to the right anymore in my 2009 5. Maybe the car needed to "break in".
  • Just had my power steering pump stop working. I have a 2009 Mazda 5...only had 27,000 miles on it. Thankfully I was sitting in a drive through when the power steering stopped working. I noticed it as I was pulling away.....I could hardly turn the wheel to get away from the window. I let the car sit for about 30 minutes while trying to get a tow truck....when I restarted it the power steering was working......felt like a fool. However, I took it immediately to the Mazda dealership and they kept it. Ended up putting in a new pump. Thank goodness it was still under warranty. The dealership did say that the electric power steering pumps were having problems. I sure hope this doesn't happen again especially when I am on the road driving. :sick: ">link title
  • Hey out there.........is anyone that owns a Mazda 5 having problems with the rear end suspension squeaking when you turn a corner or go over bump in the road? My car only has 27,000 miles on it and it sound like it is 20 years old. The dealership said they tightened something underneath and that they thought it was fixed.......what a joke! I guess I'm going to have to take it back and ride with them when they test it. :mad:
  • sheneashenea Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda 3 Grand Touring and I have had steering issues as well. I was driving my car in the middle of Waikiki, Hawaii on the weekend. It was extremely busy. I stopped at a red light, the light turned green and I went to make a right turn. All of a sudden my steering wheel was hard to turn. I was in the middle of traffice, people honking at me and people walking infront of me trying to cross the street. I could not pull over anywhere because I was in the middle turning lane. I was stuck in traffic with no steering for 20 mins. I turned my car off at the next red light hoping that it would work when I turned it back on. I turned my car back on and the steering was still out. Luckly I was able to pull into an empty lot. I turned off my car,lifted my hood and checked everything. My fluids were good and nothing was loose. I turned my car on again and then the steering worked fine. I took my car to the Mazda dearlership and they were unable to find the problem for a few days. Luckly my car is still under warranty, so I was able to have a rental to get me to and from work. I was told that a wire in the steering system was not "up to par", so I was told by the service worker. I had them do an alignment on my car and rotate my tires as well. I won't have my car back until Monday or Tuesday, but hopefully this will not happen again. I noticed that no one has had problems with Mazda 3s yet. Maybe I'm the first person or maybe I'm just the first person to post my problem. Either way, Mazda has a steering issues with thier cars and they need to look into fixing it before someone gets hurt. I'd hate for someone to die because Mazda ignored thier problems like Toyota did with thier car issues.
  • sabdullahsabdullah Posts: 2
    Dear all,

Given all the discussions going on about the problems with Mazda 5, it seems to me that MAZDA 5 has structural/manufacturing problems with power steering. I think it may be the cause for my 2009 accident which killed my 5-year old daughter. while my wife and I am just started to recover from the mental distress and grief, I wonder whether we should go after Mazda for the loss. Any helpful thoughts?
    -A
  • mzreddmzredd Posts: 1
    Today I had the exact same issue with my 2008 Mazda 5 and the steering going out on me while driving home with my children from the grocery store. Luckily I was turning into a parking lot and not still on the Highway or a Freeway or any other major road. Shouldn't this be enough for Mazda to make a recall? Or does it take multiple accidents and deaths like with the Toyota case? I truely regret trading in my 99 Honda that never gave me one single problem - EVER. :cry:
  • geely2010geely2010 Posts: 1
    Yesterday afternoon @2:40pm, My 2008 Mazda 5 steering suddenly became very hard to turn when I was exiting high way. The car seemed to have its own mind and fought very hard to against my control. I could barely turn the wheel. Although frighten, I managed to drove the car (controlled by the car) to a nearby gas station (about 300 yards away), across street from the Mazda dealer where I acquired this vehicle from 2 years ago. I stopped the car before it hit a structure in the gas station. It was a terrified minute I ever had in my life.
  • marilyn24marilyn24 Posts: 6
    HI.......I am very excited to get this little mini van .
    I am getting a black one with black leather seats and white stitching so I am having them put a white pinstripe on the body of the car!! Should be very sharp!
    I want a roof rack and the American version is awful. Has anyone ordered the European version and does it fit on the US Mazda? I do have a moon-roof but am not concerned with the cross bars. i just want to install the side rails for "the look". Does anyone know if they line up with the US? I am waiting to hear from a Mazda parts dealer in the UK as I have friends in England that could ship it out if available.
    Anyone here on this forum can help with this??????????????
  • moosepmoosep Posts: 1
    Also have a 2008 Mazda5 which had intermittent power steering failure. Mazda fixed it on warranty and haven't had a problem with it, since... however we've just gone beyond the 60km mark and now the blower for the second row sitters isn't working (the motor works, but no air comes out), and we're getting a noise from the rear that sounds like a broken spring when you go over bumps.

Haven't heard about any recalls... why if this is happening to so many?
  • mad0726mad0726 Posts: 1
    sabdullah:

My 2007 Mazda 5 ( about 3,3000 miles as of July 26, 2010) encountered an accident in Arkansas on July 26, 2010, which is the exactly same as what happened to you, except, Thanks God, my wife, my 6 year old daughter and my 5 years old son are still alive and did not loss of the conciousness (my son have right cranial bone fracture and subduralhematoma in Emergency for 24 hours). My wife was not taking any medications or alcohol, and drove on the local just passed a traffic light, the speed was only about 30-35 miles. Our car was out of control pulling to the left, seems the speeded up, the brake also did not work at all! It crossed the middle yellow line of the road, went into the otherside, hit another car coming from the opposite direction and ran into the woods! We were scared!!!

Would you please to tell me how to contact you, email or telephone?
    Thank you!
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 476
    edited July 2010
    Geeze people, report these safety issues to safercar.gov
  • ravenly98ravenly98 Posts: 3
    My '08 is going in to the shop tomorrow. I've had the CD player "not exist" every so often after turning off the car. And one time have had the power steering turn off. Fortunately it was after turning off my car in a parking lot. Unfortunately, I was in a curb-side spot, and couldn't crank the wheels enough to maneuver out of the spot. I had to call a tow truck. After 40 minutes of waiting for the tow, I decided to turn the car back on and magically the power steering came back on. While we were waiting, we did check the fluid levels and turn the car off and on a few times.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Samantha,

Mazda is already aware of the issue. They have it posted on their home page. NHTSA is also investigating this as well.
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 151
    Yes, I have a 2006 owned since new (63000 miles). Your problem is very likely solvable by gooping up the anti-roll bar rubber bushings with lithium grease. This is fairly straightforward to DIY if you have socket wrenches and safe jack stands (don't just use the car jack). Both the front and rear ends of ours have needed treatment. The dealer's fix for the front only lasted a couple years, and I redid it myself, at least as well. The front is a little harder to reach the bolts but is still easy enough if you're patient.
    you've probably heard before, but you didn't have "no steering" -- you had "no steering assistance". You still could have driven the car and turned any corner as tight as usual, just with 5 or 10 times as much muscle. Of course, I recognize this would be very startling and no doubt my own reaction at first would be the same.
    as an owner of a 2006, which as far as I know has the very same kind of electric-pump power steering as the recalled 2007-2009 models, is there any plausible reason why my car is not being recalled? (just because it's old and I don't deserve it as much??) ((or did they start the early years with higher quality parts supplier then cheapen it out too much?))
    Our 5 has not had any PS problems, and is now at 63,000 miles. It was built in late 2005 and we took delivery of it in March 2006. It's spent most of its time in the Pacific NW.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    No recall for your MY becasue the pumps are not defective.
  • my 2009 mazda5 which has only 7K miles also has had the squeaking noise when the car goes over a bump or dip. will bring it to the dealer to see if they can fix or make the noise goes away and let you know
  • I just purchased 2010 Mazda 5 and am experiencing the same problem. The alignment man at the dealership re-checked all the specs twice and confirmed that the car still drifted to the right. He informed me that the camber setting on the rear tires is not adjustable. The strong negative camber setting may or may be the cause for the car pulling to the right, but the "zoom zoom" setup surely will shorten tread life dramatically. I had a 1997 Catera that had the same strong camber settings (rear tires sloped in at the top for better "zig zag" traction in cornering" with no adjustment provision. Result: tires wore out on the quickly with the inside tread wearing out down the steel belts in less than 10,000 miles.

However, the service manager said he thought the suspension parts used on a sister vehicle in Ford's line, the Focus, were made with adjustable camber capabilities. Presently, they are checking with Mazda's warranty department to get permission to replace the Mazda rear suspension parts with those used on the Focus. If true, it might really be an example "a better idea from Ford."

If this solution is not allowed or fails to be allowed, I'll keep taking the car into the dealership to be "fixed", and when it cannot be fixed to my satisfaction, I'll demand the car to be replaced under the "3 times your out" lemon law! I am not going to put up with poor handling and premature tire wear from a problem that could be solved if Mazda wanted to. It seems that this correction has been needed for several model years previous! The "zoom, zoom" setup, which has been touted from Mazda advertising for years, may be appreciated to those people buying smaller sedan or coupe vehicles, but I don't think it is reasonable nor necessarily a great choice for a family's mini van! I'll update this reply when I get more information back from Mazda and hopefully this car repaired properly.