Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Power Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• mad0726mad0726 Posts: 1
    sabdullah:

My 2007 Mazda 5 ( about 3,3000 miles as of July 26, 2010) encountered an accident in Arkansas on July 26, 2010, which is the exactly same as what happened to you, except, Thanks God, my wife, my 6 year old daughter and my 5 years old son are still alive and did not loss of the conciousness (my son have right cranial bone fracture and subduralhematoma in Emergency for 24 hours). My wife was not taking any medications or alcohol, and drove on the local just passed a traffic light, the speed was only about 30-35 miles. Our car was out of control pulling to the left, seems the speeded up, the brake also did not work at all! It crossed the middle yellow line of the road, went into the otherside, hit another car coming from the opposite direction and ran into the woods! We were scared!!!

Would you please to tell me how to contact you, email or telephone?
    Thank you!
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 479
    edited July 2010
    Geeze people, report these safety issues to safercar.gov
  • ravenly98ravenly98 Posts: 3
    My '08 is going in to the shop tomorrow. I've had the CD player "not exist" every so often after turning off the car. And one time have had the power steering turn off. Fortunately it was after turning off my car in a parking lot. Unfortunately, I was in a curb-side spot, and couldn't crank the wheels enough to maneuver out of the spot. I had to call a tow truck. After 40 minutes of waiting for the tow, I decided to turn the car back on and magically the power steering came back on. While we were waiting, we did check the fluid levels and turn the car off and on a few times.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Samantha,

Mazda is already aware of the issue. They have it posted on their home page. NHTSA is also investigating this as well.
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 151
    Yes, I have a 2006 owned since new (63000 miles). Your problem is very likely solvable by gooping up the anti-roll bar rubber bushings with lithium grease. This is fairly straightforward to DIY if you have socket wrenches and safe jack stands (don't just use the car jack). Both the front and rear ends of ours have needed treatment. The dealer's fix for the front only lasted a couple years, and I redid it myself, at least as well. The front is a little harder to reach the bolts but is still easy enough if you're patient.
    you've probably heard before, but you didn't have "no steering" -- you had "no steering assistance". You still could have driven the car and turned any corner as tight as usual, just with 5 or 10 times as much muscle. Of course, I recognize this would be very startling and no doubt my own reaction at first would be the same.
    as an owner of a 2006, which as far as I know has the very same kind of electric-pump power steering as the recalled 2007-2009 models, is there any plausible reason why my car is not being recalled? (just because it's old and I don't deserve it as much??) ((or did they start the early years with higher quality parts supplier then cheapen it out too much?))
    Our 5 has not had any PS problems, and is now at 63,000 miles. It was built in late 2005 and we took delivery of it in March 2006. It's spent most of its time in the Pacific NW.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    No recall for your MY becasue the pumps are not defective.
  • my 2009 mazda5 which has only 7K miles also has had the squeaking noise when the car goes over a bump or dip. will bring it to the dealer to see if they can fix or make the noise goes away and let you know
  • I just purchased 2010 Mazda 5 and am experiencing the same problem. The alignment man at the dealership re-checked all the specs twice and confirmed that the car still drifted to the right. He informed me that the camber setting on the rear tires is not adjustable. The strong negative camber setting may or may be the cause for the car pulling to the right, but the "zoom zoom" setup surely will shorten tread life dramatically. I had a 1997 Catera that had the same strong camber settings (rear tires sloped in at the top for better "zig zag" traction in cornering" with no adjustment provision. Result: tires wore out on the quickly with the inside tread wearing out down the steel belts in less than 10,000 miles.

However, the service manager said he thought the suspension parts used on a sister vehicle in Ford's line, the Focus, were made with adjustable camber capabilities. Presently, they are checking with Mazda's warranty department to get permission to replace the Mazda rear suspension parts with those used on the Focus. If true, it might really be an example "a better idea from Ford."

If this solution is not allowed or fails to be allowed, I'll keep taking the car into the dealership to be "fixed", and when it cannot be fixed to my satisfaction, I'll demand the car to be replaced under the "3 times your out" lemon law! I am not going to put up with poor handling and premature tire wear from a problem that could be solved if Mazda wanted to. It seems that this correction has been needed for several model years previous! The "zoom, zoom" setup, which has been touted from Mazda advertising for years, may be appreciated to those people buying smaller sedan or coupe vehicles, but I don't think it is reasonable nor necessarily a great choice for a family's mini van! I'll update this reply when I get more information back from Mazda and hopefully this car repaired properly.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,530
    edited October 2010
    I notice a great number of vehicles these days with excessive negative rear camber.

I agree, though, it doesn't make much sense to not build in adjustability. Often, however, there is an aftermarket fix. Your post prompted me to do a quick search and I came up with these rear control arms. Could be a good, cheap fix. We haven't put enough miles on ours to demonstrate this problem, but if it does crop up, this is probably the route I'll take to dial the camber back towards 0.

Since it sounds like you've been dealing with this problem quite a bit, do you happen to know what the factory rear camber setting is?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• I have had the same issue. The Dealer said it was because of the battery being low. They said the first thing that would shut off when that happened was the power steering assist. They overrode the computer and "fixed it" so something else would cut out first. In my opinion, very poor design. It was pretty scary because we live in Colorado and were camping in the mountains and it kept cutting out on a very curvy road.
    Hmm? I'm not sure which of my comments posted here you're responding to but if it's the power steering one, no, I hadn't had that issue, and still haven't. I know nothing about why exactly, but 2006 model year Mazda5s were not subject to the power steering system recall, and ours has never had any power steering problems, now nearing 6 years old and 77,000 miles. If you have a 2007+ model Mazda5 or Mazda3 you should definitely take yours in to a Mazda dealer and demand action on the recall issue for the power steering system. It's an important safety recall, well known, and they should deal with it no matter how overdue your vehicle is to be brought in.
2»