Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2010
    "....outside and above...econobox..."

No, if you think about it that design allows for a "sleeker look" (styling) lower roof (2-3"..?), lower center of gravity, while still preserving head room for 6'2" drivers.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Might have something to do with the ability to have them front hinged and with a drive motor to open them slightly, an excellent design aspect IMMHO.
  • Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My bet is you're experiencing one of Toyota's anemic stock batteries. If so, you've replaced it by now and your problem went away.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wasn't me - my battery is perfectly fine, 3 years now.
  • DLuDLu Posts: 15
    I don't know about the other trims, but the Limited has a button for power-folding outside mirrors and parking assist sonars for front and rear.
    Hm, this is a bit of a late reply ...

I used Toyota of Nashua, who was pretty average with regard to most of their characteristics except the "manager" was pretty darn quick with making a no-BS offer. I think the price I got was somewhat less than $1k under invoice.

I regret getting the Limited because of the poor interior quality -- it is quite nice for a van in the $25k-30k range, but completely unacceptable in a car that pretends it's a $45k vehicle. The little extras are not worth the $20k extra you spend compared to an LE. I hate the Navigation, its timing of the voice prompts and accuracy are terrible. It routinely tells you, "You have arrived at your destination" when you're actually several buildings away (yes, I can read the building number, but our $200 Garmin is much more accurate and buildings in New England often don't have numbers).
    Funny, we went to Chicago on a road trip on our AWD LTD and got a "flat" on the "run-flat," thanks to a pothole.

I tried to find a run-flat, but nobody seemed to carry one on hand (the size is apparently very unique). I had to "limp" home with a regular tire.

A lug nut apparently was cross-threaded on so it ripped the whole bolt off with it during the tire change. Once again, they did not carry a replacement so, on top of not having a spare for the regular tire, I only had 4/5 bolts keeping the wheel on.

I think Toyota forgot that quality control needs to happen.
  • glee314glee314 Posts: 6
    We purchased a 2011 LE with a single DVD player installed by the South East Distribution.....We have some problem with DVD Player....DVD Player works great with wireless headphones, but when trying to send audio to the car speaker, FM modulator does not work. Do you experience a similar problem?
  • key4871key4871 Posts: 13
    Has anyone purchased body side molding? I saw a lot of after market options but my dealer doesn't provide any at this point. I saw one 2011 with some and it looked sharp.
  • jdconradjdconrad Posts: 11
    I am looking to buy a new Sienna and went to the dealer to check it out. My wife & I both noticed a very distracting distortion when looking at the speedometer from the front passenger seat. Has anyone else noticed that problem?
  • Why do you drive from the passenger seat? I thought the driver determined how fast you were going?
    I imagine the instrument panel is angled towards the driver, and that may even be intentional (?).

If you get a Garmin, you can use that to get the speed. If you hit the speed while driving you actually get a simulated dash board. It's pretty neat.
  • aa0526aa0526 Posts: 27
    Hello -
    I am looking at the 2011 Sienna.

Can someone compare the driving impressions between the 4cyl and 6cyl versions?
    or can someone post their impressions of the 4 cyl?

Thanks.
    One review I saw for the 4 cylinder actually reported lower mileage than the same publication with the V6 Sienna, likely because they had to work the engine harder.

Given the mass it's pulling, especially loaded up, I'd recommend the V6, which is powerful and still very efficient.
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    Sienna weighs almos 5,000#. Get the V6 as mentioned.

4cyl just a marketing tool. Toyota could say 2011 costs less, when bought with 4 cyl.
    Sienna weighs almost 5,000#. Get the V6 as mentioned.

4cyl just a marketing tool. Toyota could say 2011 costs less, when bought with 4 cyl.
  • I test drove a Sienna with a 4 cyl. engine. It was a spartan version with no tinted glass, a very plain interior and an uncomfortable driver's seat.

As for the engine, all I can say is that it did and adequate job. We were only two people with the air conditioner running and I drove on flat terrain. It sounded like a 4 cyl. engine but it did moved the van. The dealer quote was a bit over 25k dollars, so I think Toyota wants to use this one as bait.
    Yep, an ad car so they can say "Starting at $24,999!"
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    edited September 2010
    Motor Trend tested a 4 cyl Sienna and the review is posted on their website.
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/minivans-vans/112_0912_2011_toyota_sienna_le- _test/index.html

While its time to 60 mph was a moderate 9.5 seconds, it feels plenty peppy, with its coarser acoustic and vibrational texture only occasionally penetrating your awareness ... the LE returned a pleasing 22 mpg.

The mileage is nothing special. I routingly do better in my 2007 V6, and it has a 5 speed auto vs. the new 6 speed. 0-60 in mine is around 7.0 seconds, a huge leap in performance with the same (better in my case) gas mileage.
    edited September 2010
    That 9.5 sec to 60 mph should make for some exciting merges on the freeway. :P

I can imagine a 4 cyl Sienna being pushed by a Prius at an on ramp. ;)
    9.5 seconds is actually OK, but that's empty, with just the driver.

Now imagine you have 8 people crammed in there, with luggage to add even more weight.

0-60 in 14 seconds with a full load sounds a bit too exciting. :surprise:
  • I just picked up my XLE a couple of days ago(no other options on it).

We love the smooth and quiet ride, and the engine is really peppy, I find the Sienna surprisingly quick given its size. The steering wheel is really nice too. The car feels cavernous inside. Despite the numb steering, it handles fine for a minivan, and after a couple hundred miles, the steering feel(or lack thereof) is not a concern - it bothered us more on the test drive. As many have mentioned, the dashboard plastic and faux-wood are really horrible, it's hard to imagine it can't be easily improved.

The radio sound is pretty lousy, I thought it'd be better, as I believe it's the same unit you'd have if you got the entertainment system. Built-in XM is nice, lots of presets, reception is good too, it's just the sound quality is lacking. The station tuning dial is really far from the driver. Even at 6' tall, it's a stretch for me( I know there's steering wheel controls, but they don't do everything) I was going to get a Garmin for Nav, but now I'm considering a full in-dash replacement like the high-end Pioneer or Kenwood units, along with an aftermarket DVD system. It'll still come in under half the price of the Toyota offerings.

The climate control layout is about as unintuitive as possible. Of course you'll quickly get used to anything, but even so, it seems to have been done with no thought involved whatsoever.

This is replacing an aging Town&Country. I just couldn't go with Mopar again after the problems I had with that vehicle. I could overlook some things, but every Chrysler dealer/service dept. I've had to deal with have been horrible. And the aging Odyssey is the worst minivan on the market, IMO.

So on balance, really happy with the Sienna, except for the dash and radio issues mentioned above...
    Not that I had any doubts, but your summary of the 2011 Sienna reinforces the decision to purchase the 2010 Odyssey.
  • Really? That's interesting. I really dislike the Odyssey, it wasn't even an option for me. What do you like about the Odyssey over the Sienna? I found Odyssey road noise to be irritating. If not for my negative experience with Chrysler quality, I'd have likely taken a VW Routan over the Odyssey as well.

I found the Emunds review to be spot on: "An abundance of hard plastics serve to cheapen the experience, an excessive amount of buttons overcomplicate even the simplest of tasks, and iPod integration is notably absent. On higher trim levels, even the leather upholstery is decidedly downmarket."

Somehow they manage to conclude "it's easy to see why the Honda Odyssey remains our top pick for a minivan."

In any case, the Odyssey is obviously competent, but to me the Sienna is much nicer all around, despite my complaints.

The radio complaints are being addressed. Depending on whether I replace the the Sienna's speakers or not, I'm going to spend $1800-$2500 for in-dash navigation w/Bluetooth, 11" screen (diagonal, not that ridiculous 11" wide dual-screen Toyota offers), and the higher price would include new Pioneer speakers all around. I paid $30155 + tax for an XLE, so I'll be around $32k with the after-market stuff.

I was tempted to wait for the new Odyssey, but I think they'll be going for closer to sticker when they're new, and I have to have a new minivan for ski season.
    I put a 12" 4x3 DVD player in mine, you gotta beat my record. ;)
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2010
    Juice Ateix,
    Have a question for you. Where do you buy/install these quality aftermarket dvd players or in dash navigation systems? I know as a chain Best Buy does them-- but guys working over there are just kids whom I dont trust and they can mess up the costly electronics. Impossible for them to know the electrical lay outs in the latest complicated cars and that too for every make?
    So , do you suggest any place for these? Thanks. :shades:

And I keep repeating this -- But boy ,what`s up with those plastic interiors in the '11 Sienna? Feels Dodge/Chrysler like. Personally I think it`s a backward step from the previous gen. What were they thinking really with those horrible cheap plastic interiors? :confuse:
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately, I installed mine at Circuit City, and we all know what happened to them.

Here's what I did, though. Sneak around back of any installer, and ask if they mind showing you around. Usually they're not supposed to, but the guy who installed mine was friendly and gave me a quick tour of his shop - which was impeccable. Clean and well equipped.

I asked what the install would entail - and his answer proved to me that he was familiar with the Sienna (power is there for the factory DVD, but they run wiring to the door switch). He was right, too. He also knew the products - the in-store display was beige, but he told me the box contained both gray and beige.

Sure enough, the gray matched my interior nicely.

So see if you can meet the actual installer, whether it's at Best Buy or not.
  • Nice! Mine is being installed today, I'm getting a 10.8" or something like that.

I went with the Pioneer Z120BT, it's what the guy who owns the shop has in his car, though he's a licensed Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine installer. They're all really nice systems. The Pioneer has really nice iPod/iPhone integration, which is a nice plus.

As for where to install - most of these dedicated auto sound and security shops really know what they're doing. I had a similar install in my Town & Country, and it was great. I found my installer from both the Kenwood and Pioneer websites, they list their authorized installers, there were a handful within a few miles of where I live. Lots of this stuff can be a DIY install if you're handy and have a couple of hours. If not for the overhead screen, I'd do it myself. There's no "trim kit" for the 2011 Sienna yet, but there's a couple of guys (Metra for instance) that will have them soon. In the meantime, my installer is fabricating one, I'll report on how good it looks, he's going to put in the trim kit as soon as it's available. The aftermarket head units are better than 99% of factory radios, those things are really lousy for the most part. I thought the Toyota split screen is a useless gimmick, and the picture size is really small since the screen is so small in the vertical dimension.

I'm also having an inverter installed (300W 120v) and the steering wheel controls will work, and all-in, I'm spending about $2k, I'll post that total when I pick it up as well.
    Sounds good.

Do you have the JBL sound?

IIRC when I went shopping for a GPS head unit I found the LE model was supposedly not compatible if it lacked the JBL package.

I ended up with a portable Garmin 1490T, and I'm happy and spent 1/4th the price.