Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Quite happy with the front console, particularly the piece that slides back to the 2nd row. Pretty much required given that the 2nd row chairs don't have any cupholders on them.....!! I like the flat surface of the console for phones, etc and the storage down on the floor is nice as well. Wife's purse no longer slides around.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have a coin holder that takes up one cup position, and often use another for my BlackBerry. I wouldn't mind having those extra slots to be honest.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    Reading the forums on the new Odyssey & Sienna tells me not to buy any one of these BUT a 2008 to 2010 used edition. Reminds me of the 1977 Chrysler Aspens, etc where a great engine was made worst by changing the wrist-pin design in the motor (I did not buy one).

2002 Honda Odyssey EX (currently has 278,000 kms, bought new)
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van 351 cu ins V8
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini
  • All verbage asside, both accurate and innacurate, fanciful and mundane; the system works quite well in real life where most of us live and drive with few, if any, complaints of any consequence.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Have you happened to notice that the TC "off" capability is almost always an afterthought, subsequent add-on, driven/requested by consumer experience/voice...?
    edited June 2011
    I guess it depends on your priorities. We had an '05 Odyssey and IMHO the new one is far better. Uglier...but styling is far from the top when I shop vans/SUVs. I never warmed up to the previous Gen Siennas...the new one is a bit more engaging to both drive and look at. Some nice extras like the dual sunroofs, smartkey, folding mirrors. The deal killer for us was the color combos on the Odyssey...wife hates gray interiors and refused another one. If the Black Ody came with Tan interior...that's what we would be driving. I would take either new model over the previous gen.
  • just confirmed with Toyota that in fact, yes, the XLE does not come with adjusable arm rests. Sadly, this may be a deal breaker.
  • desna78desna78 Posts: 21
    only Sienna LTD has this feature(adjustable arm rests) for middle row captain chairs. very strange why this feature is not available in front as well.
    Yep it sucks. We have Ltd so the 2nd row has nice adj. armrest...front has nothing. I'm wondering if you couldn't swap out the rears.....on my list to check out.
  • I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE and have been experiencing the same issue. Did you have to go to arbitration with Toyota or did the dealership take care of swapping the vehicle? Did you have to go through a lemon law litigation? Any information you can provide would be helpful. Car is going back for the fourth time. Water is accumulating while my car is sitting in the driveway. Had Zero issues with my 2001 Sienna.
  • Did you get resolution on this? My 2011 Sienna is doing the same thing. Car is back at the dealer for the fourth time.
  • rgccrgcc Posts: 11
    Have 2011 sienna LTD (W/all possible options available).
    Drive 2/3 grandchildren every day.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

(still looking for people Rgcc).
  • yanifyanif Posts: 4
    We bought a 2012 Sienna LE a week ago and noticed the same very annoying noise as you did. Was your problem fixed? What was the cause? Thanks in advance for your kind reply.
  • yaz32yaz32 Posts: 3
    I have a water leak issue in my 2011 Toyota sienna SE, it is also going back today for the fourth time. Is your water accumulating in the back end?
  • Am very disappointed in 2011 sienna 2-star rating for frontal crash, passenger. Assuming 2012 won't be any different but see NHTSA will test 2012. Am surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Bought ours based on IIHS ratings, then NHTSA came out with theirs and not good! Am looking into real-world crash results and maybe larger SUV would be better.
    First off, safecar.gov shows the '11 Sienna as 3-stars on the frontal crash so i'm not sure where you got the 2.

Regardless you have to take all of these ratings with a grain of salt. All of the '11+ tests are at a higher rating scale so they can't be compared to prior tests. There's a lot of vehicles not even tested with the new standards at this time.

Bigger does not equal better in a single-vehicle crash. If anything the heavier a vehicle the harder the deceleration. So if you can pick your crash...go for a small/light vehicle for a single vehicle crash and a big heavy one for multi-vehicle. The "mini" vans are far from light vehicles...in fact there's not many SUV's that are bigger. Sienna is the same size or bigger than most of the SUV's out there with the exception of the Suburban/Expedition XL.

I don't worry too much about the ratings...the real world facts are all minivans are very safe. I persoanlly like the IIHS anyway because they seem to show and give more details
  • minimommyminimommy Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    Yes, the frontal crash overall rating is a 3 star; I was referring to the front passenger rating which is a 2 star (driver is a five star, which is great and what it should be). However, with some older children now sitting up front in this van, I'm really not liking the 2-star front passenger rating in case of a crash. So I've been debating trading Sienna for Odyssey (had one before Sienna, my Ody went over 140k with no tranny problems, but am reluctant to get back to that, even though Odyssey has 5-star crash-test ratings where Sienna does not)... or going with something like Volvo XC90 or a larger SUV (Tahoe) but hate the gas guzzle. I still think a Tahoe would "win" in a crash with my Sienna or an Ody. That's the dilemma. Do wish they'd test the 2012 Sienna, if it scores 5 stars, I could just trade for that. Just not sure why Sienna 2011 did so poorly -- 2-star rating for a front passenger is just NOT acceptable. Especially when Odyssey and a few other vehicles (Volvo XC60) get 5 stars in that same seat.
  • minimommyminimommy Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    I also will go back and look at IIHS tests for 2011 Sienna, as you mention there is more detail, but NHTSA test result is simply abysmal in my opinion and just not acceptable for a "family" vehicle. That front passenger should get no less than a 5-star, just as the 2011 Odyssey has tested in the newer more stringent NHTSA tests.
    edited January 2012
    I looked again and there's actually a lot more detail on the NHTSA site. You can drill down to the 80+ page test report with pics. It looks like the threshold levels on the dummy are all very low, although the passenger is higher than the drive. Compartment looks quite good and dummy appears to hit the right spots. I still can't see an individual star rating between driver and passenger, nor can I find what the star ratings actually mean. I know in the past a 2-star meant you were getting hurt, but it doesn't look like that's even close to the case now. One thing that really seems weird to me is that when they test these, the passenger seat is basically jammed against the dash. I don't know why anyone would ride like. If you look at the pictures it seems like they have the passenger seat as far forward as it will go, including the seat-back.

The only thing a Tahoe has on the Odyssey/Sienna is a little higher ride and a few hundred pounds. The size is almost identical but the space is a HUGE difference. We had a Tahoe before and the minivan is a huge upgrade in terms of space behind the front seats.

We also had an '05 Odyssey and were quite happy with it. The new Ody is rated very highly but it just wasn't a major concern for me. I feel they're all very safe and none have any specific test failures. It appears even a two-star is quite safe based on the new ratings. Obviously everyone has different priorities when buying so that's your call. I personally can't imagine trading because of what appears to be a relatively minor difference between best and worst. It's kind of like reliability ratings...vehicles have gotten so reliable that the difference between best and worst is hardly worth mentioning.