Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• I think that the Sienna 2011 is not superior in total to the 2004-2010 Sienna. When combined with what seems to be a huge indifference to the customer and quality control standards by Toyota, it seems very illogical to take purchase a 2011. Even the Chairman of Toyota stated his company has expanded too fast and they lost touch. That would be true for all functions of the Company, including design, engineering and production. We all know when the 2004 came out, it was a "WOW. I was so impressed I bought one and paid the full freight (MSRP).

This model has none of that; there is no real WOW factor, I have been a loyal Toyota customer, but the combination of the two issues (no wow factor and an issue with the foundation of the company) tell me to at best take a time out and not buy a 2011.

I'm hoping my 2004 Sienna will last one more year. Perhaps by then things will have gotten better with the company, we will also now about the quality of the 2011, and the new Honda will be out.
    :cry:
  • can you answer a few quest for me please... when you remove the 8th seat, are you left with that plastic tray in the floor? how do your passengers get thru to the third row.. my other really big quest is... can passengers exit the third row by themselves.. that is to say after second row passengers have exited and left!!! on the ody the realease button is up by the headrest so no prob. the sienna seemed to have it so low down .. have you had this problem yet? thanks
  • Hi Jennlehr,

I have test drove the LE, XLE and Limited 2011 Sienna model... The base for the 8th seat is a really bad design... It is not removable at all and like me I have a 3 yr old who likes to walk between the two middle seats, she was tripping like crazy and leaving dirty foot prints. If I was to purchase the Sienna I will only go for the 7 seat model. It was a great concept to have the 8th seat removable and stow in the back, but the base was something toyota is covering when you view all the videos online. You got to go see it at the dealer to see how horrible the base is.

The passenger in the 3rd row can exit by pushing the 2nd row seats forward much like what the SUV with 3rd row must do.

Overall, I was seriously considering the Limited since it has front sonar and rear sonar (front sonar is not available on XLE :( ) But all these Toyota issues have gotten me wonder if I should wait till the Honda Odyssey 2011 or even the 2010 if I need it now. My family has had toyota only for the last 25 years from corolla, camry, Previa, Matrix, Prius, Tacoma... Now, I am just wondering if I should keep this toyota loyalty going with all these mess!!!! I need to see like a huge incentives before I would go with toyota again I think... Honda is in my mind the last few days.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They lost a few items (big 8th seat, soft touch materials) but they also gained some (16" DVD, backup cam without Navi, 6EAT, 3 zone climate std, etc.).

All in all I think it depends on which model you compare.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,385
    That SE model has my interest. I always thought I'd go AWD, but hmm...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• b747b747 Posts: 10
    Fly2liv,

Have you tried to sit on the Ody 2010EX? I sat on both cars and I felt the Sienna11 has much more room than the Ody. Only the third row on the Ody is better thougth.
  • My wife and I test drove an '11 Sienna LE today. We will be having our 3rd child in a few months and will need something with more space than the 4Runner. Before the test drive, I was 90% sure we would be buying a new Sienna, probably an XLE. I think it is this best looking minivan (ever) made.

The test drive went well. The van handles nicely and sure smoothed out the rough spots in the road, which we intentionally did not avoid. Power was plenty adequate. This was a front-wheel drive LE, and did not do too well starting on a steep, icy incline (we live in ND), but it's not AWD, so how much can you expect? The interior did seem kind of cheap and confirmed that I would probably want to go with an XLE. (The taupe Limited interior we looked at in the showroom had a much better appearance). As others have stated, the dash is hard plastic and in fact, feels worse than it looks. But, I don't drive around feeling the dash, so I could live with it. Maybe cheap would feel good in a crash.

The real problem for me was the 8-seat arrangement. We will soon have 3 kids in car seats, the oldest will be four years old. A 4-year old is not going to be able to tilt the middle seats and push them forward (besides, both middle seats will have car seats in them, there won't be any tilting going on). So the 4-year old is going to have to get to the back by going between the middle seats, and at least for a while, mom or dad is going to have to follow her to buckle her in. The tray left behind when the middle seat is removed is probably a deal breaker for us. It sticks up 4 inches or so, and someone is going to be constantly tripping over it.

You can get a 7-seat arrangement in the XLE only with AWD, or in a limited AWD or FWD (+$$$), or I think in an LE with AWD or FWD and a cheap interior. But no XLE FWD. We'll probably check out the '10 carryovers and then head on over to the Honda dealer. Wonder when the new Odysseys will be out.....................I know Toyota can't customize it for everyone, but I don't think we fit in their "slots".
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=422
    No head restraint ratings, but given their slightly uncomfortable angle, I think they'll score well.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    We got a 2008 Sienna when expecting our third. The full size eighth seat with the front and center placement is very nice for carrying an infant in the van. It is a shame Toyota ruined the eighth seat in the new Sienna, but it sound like Honda may be coming to the rescue with a real eighth seat again.

Wait for the new Ody if you can.
  • Hey nddaddy, that 8th seat bracket was the deal breaker for us too. That and the seat belt contraption that is attached to the driver side 2nd row seat. Very bad design. Our dog likes to sit in that space and when have our kids' friends with us, they just go thru the middle to get to the back. The 2011 would not work for us.

We went with a 2010 instead - good deals to be had right now if you can still find the color and options you want. Plus it just feels so much roomier than 2011 IMHO.

Good luck.
  • shawnandtshawnandt Posts: 15
    edited February 2010
    Absolutely agree on the 2nd Row '8th seat' if you call it that. The ironic thing for us is our 05 Sienna 8 Pax seating is exactly the reason we went with Toyota then. We had an Odyssey, but needed 8 pax seating for three child seats in the second row and the new 05 Odyssey 8 pax had the same very tiny I wish I was a real seat slipped in-between the two outside seats. The Sienna, had 8 real size seats so although the HVAC and Entertainment controls were more convenient in the new Ody and the ride was a bit firmer, the real 8 pax capability of the Sienna got our money.

Now fast foreword, Toyota is the one who doesn't have a real 8th seat and the press release from Honda talks of three real size seats that all will accomodate child/booster seats.

The wife absolutely loves here 05 Sienna, and although I think the ne SE is the best looking van ever, Toyota's 'awful afterthought 8th seat is the reason our replacement will be something else.
    Consider a 2010 8 passenger model for those 3 wonderful adult-sized seats.

Bummer they got rid of that.
    Very nice - note that the structure/safety cage score in the side impact test actually improved.

That means so far the 2011 has improved (slightly) in crash tests.
  • I apologize if this is a stupid question, but with the "old style" 8-passenger (3 full-size seats in the middle, row), how do you get to the 3rd row when you have 3 car seats in the middle row?

I assume the middle seat in the 2nd row can be removed if you aren't using it, is that correct?

I haven't looked at the pre-2011 model very much. I'm wondering if you'd be better off going with a 7-passenger, then you have the space between the 2nd row seats to get to the back, and maybe more comfortable 2nd row seats....................I appreciate hearing from those of you who own one.

I'd like to see the 2011 Odyssey, but it needs to be here by the end of June!
    Both outboard seats fold down and then tumble forward.

Makes access quite easy. The Ody's seats slide forward and fold down but do NOT tumble, so with all seats in use it's harder to access the 3rd row.
    edited February 2010
    Dunno if you folks have seen these, but I find them hysterical.

The hot babysitter one is my favorite. It's called "Diaper Bag".

http://www.youtube.com/sienna

Clever.
  • Thanks for your reply, that is what I suspected. So, if I understand correctly, if I have child safety seats in the outboard 2nd row seats, I would have some difficulty getting to the third row unless the middle seat of the 2nd row is removed. Essentially, you'd use it like a 7-passenger if you have two car seats in the middle row - going between them to get to the third row.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,385
    Yeah, I've been digging these ads. Good on Toyota for these.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Well, if you have 3 kids, odds are one of the older ones are already in a booster seat (I think you move to those at 40 lbs).

Unless you have triplets. But then you'd have bigger concerns! :D
    Direct link to the one I find funniest:

http://www.youtube.com/sienna#p/u/11/1i5MefpooUg

I like self-depricating humor.
    The 8pax had a similar effect in our decision to go with the '08 Sienna. There were other things we preferred about the Sienna over the Ody (price vs desired features, control layout, ride and seat comfort), but if the 8pax situation were reversed we would have been much more torn on the decision and may very well have gone to the Ody.
    We have generally used two configurations of the 8pax with our 3 boys. First we put all three car seats in the second row with the older boys on the outboard sides which is good for the huge volume behind the second row with the third row down and as long as the baby was small. Lately we've moved the oldest to the third row with the youngest still in the front-and-center position where he is easier to access and can take up to 3 more adults in a moment's notice. This is a lot more flexibility than what we would have in 7 pax or what I call the mother-in-law 8th seat of the current Ody and new Sienna.

The second row outboard sets tumble forward for very easy access to the third row. Also all three second row seats can come out individually and cleanly, so you can use the van as a 7 passenger with an aisle to the third row or have a 2 seat bench. With all three second row seats removed and the third row folded a 4x8' sheet of plywood or sheet rock will lay flat in the back.
  • 2011sienaguy2011sienaguy Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    No it does Not come with body side moldings.
  • With about 100 freeway driving with the eco light on getting 28mpg
    With 90% local driving, lots of hills and 5 min trips I'm getting 17.5mpg
  • foggy6foggy6 Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Sienna Limited AWD shares the previous years' (2004-2010) trailer hitches configurations? Does one need to get a Toyota brand wiring harness for it as well or are aftermarket brands ok? Thanks!
  • jabcjabc Posts: 20
    Please bear with me.
    I know I am ahead of myself.

We are planning to buy an SE, but are disappointed that Toyota has picked a lousy tire for SE - Dunlop SP Sport 7000 (235 50R-19).

Going thru Tire Rack and only found 2 good tires for SE –
    Michelin Primacy MXV4 @ $244 and
    Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza @ $177.

The Bridgestone one happens to be for Crossover and SUV.
    So my question is : Can I use this tire for Sienna SE ?

Any comments are appreciated. THX !
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    I would check CR ratings for tires.. Especially their recommended ones. The Dunlop is not the top most but it scores well and is recommended. You should be fine with those Dunlops. Replacement time-- well Michelin Primacy MXV4 is the top rated tire and would suggest going for this.. But till that time -which may be 4 yrs or so - other tires may come out and may be much better than existing ones with better prices.. :P

So my advice-- Just enjoy the Sienna SE -the sporty Sienna :shades: - even though my preference is the floaty,boaty LE/XLE... The Dunlops should be fine for atleast 40k miles..
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    edited March 2010
    Atexiera,

I know you have an 07 Sienna and pretty much know quite a lot about this van.
    So I wanted to know your opinion between the 2010 and the redesigned 2011 Sienna.

My thinking is - the 2011 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary.. Unlike the 2004 which was a game changer compared to the really crappy 2003 not accounting for reliability..There was a sky and earth difference between the 03 and 04.. Not so much between the `10 and `11. Also I had an 07 Odyssey which I sold it back to the dealer and it had only 600 miles.. Just was not the van for us-- firm taut loud ride with high road noise.. And we were not using the van at all-so we got rid of it and were happy the dealer gave a very good price on it.. :shades:

I just bought the Odyssey based on the reviews ..Yes,it`s a very good van with very good reliability and resale -just not the type for me. I have a Lexus GX and a camry - and so I prefer the comfy,plush,quiet rides.. And the Odyssey was exactly the opposite.. I really liked the 07 XLE?limited trims--they were really like my Lexus and the ride was similar to a Lexus... Iwas feeling bad later about trading in the Odyysey base LX but then I look at the XLE trims and I feel I made the right choice and newer versions were coming anyway . 2 years down the line a used XLE/Limited with less than 30k miles for less than $25k is what I may be looking at or maybe the2011 LE with less than 30k miles. :P

So that brings us to the 2011 Sienna. I looked at it but it certainly did not wow me like the 07. The dash was hard plastic and the steering wheel also was not as nice as the 07 Limited wood trim. The quality of materials is also not upto the 07..Infact it is inferior.. I know carmakers have to cut cost somewhere-- we pay the same price roughly but the newer redesign has to take into account the design costs,marketing costs,more safety features and tech like backup cam etc etc and yet the price has to be the same-- so cuts have to be made somewhere and the cuts were made in the interior fit and finish..

So how do you feel about the 07 and the `11 .. I hope the new Odyssey is very good-- puts pressure on Toyota and keeps prices in check and it`s a win win for the buyer.. Competition is always good--keeps them on their toes or else they will stagnate like GM or Dodge..!! ;)
  • foggy6foggy6 Posts: 6
    Most car makers pick or have a tire designed for the vehicle that they are making. Would think that Toyota has this figured out pretty well in spite of what the media is currently doing to them. Have had three new Siennas at this point and all have been a wonderful ride. Save some money and give it a try. Most good tire dealers will give you a good trade if you don't really like the tires.
    I'm flattered that you care about my opinion, so I'm happy to offer it.

I agree the 2004 was a break-through, and that's when the minivan market became "mature". All the best entries were big, had magic folding seats, and 2nd row windows that opened. It gained power and weight yet gave up no fuel efficiency.

I guess we get diminishing returns, since the outgoing model was already so good. The 07+ already had the 2GR engine with the timing chains (no belts to change) and even more power and great effiency.

Tough act to follow.

Toyota still made some break-throughs, though. 6 speed automatic. 16" DVD screen, for those who opt for it. Maybach 2nd row seats, albeit for short folks only. More features available in lower trim lines - backup cam, 3-zone climate control (std on base model).

But...I'm not paying several grand for the DVD, and the I'm too tall to enjoy those 2nd row foot rests. The big 8th seat is gone, perhaps the biggie for me. That was just dumb - it's the main reason I picked my Sienna.

The hard plastics don't bother me. Let's be honest. You touch them once - when you're car shopping. Then never again. IMHO they LOOK better, but they FEEL worse. Thing is, how often do you sit there stroking the dash? If you answer more than once please see a shrink. ;)

Also, I much prefer the new styling. No contest. I realize this is purely subjective, but it's the most handsome van extant, and the new Ody just looks odd with that dog-leg rear window, to me at least.

Overall, I'm in the same boat as you. Tough call.

I'd look for a bargain on a 2010 8 passenger model, and enjoy the soft dash and big 8th seat.

Or I'd look for a 2011 with a backup cam and maybe add a power rear hatch as well. Prices are high for now but they'll come down soon enough.

If the 2011 were the same price, 2011 all the way. For the styling alone, inside and out. I'd draw the line at maybe $2000 more than a 2010, then I think I'd take the 2010 and the 8th seat.

Honda could sway me if the new Ody really does meet the hype about the better mileage and the 2nd row fitting 3 child seats across, though I really need to see that interior to say for sure. I can overlook the odd exterior if that interior delivers.

Fortunately I love my 2007 so I can sit on the sidelines and wait to see what happens.