Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Hybrid IMA Batteries

2»

Comments

• http://www.bkhondaparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/accord-hybrid/2005/hybrid/5-spee- d-automatic/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/center-module

The above link will lead you to a site to purchase the part. The part is item #9. Look on you Tube for the installation instruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6IKK-C1-QQ
  • Does anyone have or know where I can obtain the specifications to the HAH battery pack? I want to make my own grid charger, but I don't have any information on the batteries, what is the maximum voltage they can be charged to, how many cells/sticks the pack holds, how many individual cells/batteries are in each stick, what are their voltages etc. Without this information, I am afraid to try and grid charge as I don't know what is the max voltage and amperage I should be setting the charger to. I really wish someone who has built a grid charger for the Accord Hybrid had taken the time to document the process, details, connections so that those of us catching up can follow in their footsteps. I am frustrated with the lack of support for our car as it applies to DIY charging/refreshing of the battery.

• agermainagermain Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 HAH with 145K miles. Recently the check engine light came on -- went off again 2 days later. If the IMA light came on I did not notice it. I had the code checked and they said it was the hybrid battery. No surprise after 10 years and all those miles. Anyway, I would prefer not to spend the $3K if I don't have to. After all, the HAH has 3 energy saving features (3 cylinder mode, shuts off the gas engine at stoplights, and the IMA). Only the IMA needs the hybrid battery (right? Or is it needed to restart when in "Auto-stop"?) So what happens if the hybrid battery is dead? Can I still get home? Etc.

Thanks!
  • I have a 2006 HAH V6 with over 165,000 miles. I take a lot of weekend drives from SoCal to Mammoth and NorCal. My engine light and IMA lights came on about five years ago.  I immediately pulled off the road and turned my car off for a couple of minutes. I thought nothing of it because they went off and never came on again. Last weekend, the lights went on again, but this time they stayed on for the rest of my 200 mile drive. After that drive, only the engine light came on. I managed to make  it back from Mammoth last weekend without incident. By the end of the weekend, even my engine light no longer came on and my car is still running as beautifully as ever. But, I took my car in to Honda today. They said my battery has "seriously deteriorated". I almost bought a new car today because of it. Instead, I came home to do some research. After reading all these posts, I'm now thinking I can drive it a bit longer, save up some cash, then make a more informed decision about my next auto purchase. Thanks, guys!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 7,071
    krazykrow said:

I have a 2006 HAH V6 with over 165,000 miles. I take a lot of weekend drives from SoCal to Mammoth and NorCal. My engine light and IMA lights came on about five years ago.  I immediately pulled off the road and turned my car off for a couple of minutes. I thought nothing of it because they went off and never came on again. Last weekend, the lights went on again, but this time they stayed on for the rest of my 200 mile drive. After that drive, only the engine light came on. I managed to make  it back from Mammoth last weekend without incident. By the end of the weekend, even my engine light no longer came on and my car is still running as beautifully as ever. But, I took my car in to Honda today. They said my battery has "seriously deteriorated". I almost bought a new car today because of it. Instead, I came home to do some research. After reading all these posts, I'm now thinking I can drive it a bit longer, save up some cash, then make a more informed decision about my next auto purchase. Thanks, guys!

Welcome to the forums! Glad that we could be of help. You'll also find all sorts of shopping info here to help with your choice. If you have any questions about the forums, just click on my username or one of the other moderators and ask.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• tibuonetibuone Posts: 3
    my HAH 2005 IMA light came on at about 200,000 miles. I drive a lot for work and my car runs great. The problem now is that it did not pass the Smog Test. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the battery needs to be replaced and the cost of just the battery is $3,482.00. They tried to sell me a new car but right now i rather not have a car payment. After reading these blogs, I am going to contact honda cars of america and see how they can help. Any other advise is always appreciated!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 3,527
    Top independent shops can offer you a more affordable solution.
    i will research for those shops that work on hybrid cars. thank you!
    Unfortunately Honda Customer Service says they cannot do anything about it and don't have any type of help. Had I know this was going to be such an expensive repair, i would have never buy a hybrid car. That is not going to happen for sure anymore.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,567
    edited July 13
    Well, it's not unheard of for a regular car to need an expensive repair at 200,000 miles and it's unusual for any manufacturer to step in that far out of warranty to do anything. If my engine or transmission went out in my minivan, the repair would cost more than the car is worth.

Here's one outfit that lists the battery for $1,700 (plus installation); a net search should turn up some others, and hopefully one or two won't be that far from you. Be worth getting a quote if nothing else.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,067
    edited July 31
    Back before I retired I never could understand why anyone would want to buy a hybrid. They cost more to begin with, they don't have as much power they are more complicated etc.

We did the math once and not counting the price of the replacement batteries when they eventually fail a person had to drive over 150,000 to make up the difference in the original price.

And, they didn't get that mush better mileage than a non hybrid.

Still, we sold a few.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,067
    stever said:

Well, it's not unheard of for a regular car to need an expensive repair at 200,000 miles and it's unusual for any manufacturer to step in that far out of warranty to do anything. If my engine or transmission went out in my minivan, the repair would cost more than the car is worth.

Here's one outfit that lists the battery for $1,700 (plus installation); a net search should turn up some others, and hopefully one or two won't be that far from you. Be worth getting a quote if nothing else.

Funny you would say this. On a 12 year old Accord with 200,000 miles, a 3400.00 battery could well exceed the value of the car just like a replacement engine or transmission.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,567
    And then you don't know if the AC or brakes will be next.

On the other hand, $3,400 is just six or seven car payments, and you get to continue driving a car that you know very well and one that may fit you like a glove.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

2»