Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevrolet Equinox First Drive

2»

Comments

• clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    Please note I am not critical of a well made product and will give it it just do,but when you have vehicle whereby you can't even change the headlight bulbs without taking to a dealer,I wonder what Idiot of an Engineer designed this Vehicle.
    Probably got his College degree from "Mickey Mouse University".
    "GM Needs ENGINEERS WITH COMMON SENSE OF DESIGN."
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Thanks for those useful posts.

Perhaps it's time to head back to spelling class now. :lemon:
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Well apparently you have not owned a import model. If so you would not have made such an uninformed comment about headlights because it was the foreign automakers that first made these types of headlamps that are difficult to replace. The Big 3 jumped on that band wagon rather late not to mention that much of what you're griping about is due to headlight design which until the last ten years or so was determined by the fact that headlights could be purchased off the shelf.

Today, headlights are design specific and cannot be purchased off the shelf and this eliminates the need for automakers to design the front end of the vehicle around headlights. Do a Bing search on headlight design to get more info because you are clearly uninformed.
    Trust me, I've seen the Equinox in person and when I get mine I'll be basking in that piece of junk and wallowing in my own stupidity with a big fat smile on my face because I'm EXTREMELY Confident that GM has the leg up on the competition. They did it with the CTS, the Malibu, the 2010 Lacrosse, the Enclave and now the 2010 Equinox and every new GM vehicle will truly be competitive.
  • First, let me state that, over the last 25 years, my wife and I have owned or leased a couple of Dodges, a Saturn, a Honda, an Oldsmobile, a Mazda, and a Scion. Sort of a United Nations of vehicle ownership. Now we add the 2010 Chevy Equinox to the list.

We've always based our purchases on price, mpg (even before $4 a gallon gas), functionality, lots of research, and test drive after test drive. We have two kids (ages 5 & 10) so safety and rear seat space are concerns. And my wife is an art teacher and avid gardner, and I'm a drummer, so ample cargo space is needed, too. The Equinox not only delivers all this, but with style.

During our search for a vehicle to replace our 2000 Mazda MPV, we researched and test drove the following: Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, Nissan Rogue, and - finally - the Equinox. Honestly, the 2009 Equinox wasn't even in the running, but while reading a review of the CR-V, my wife noticed a banner ad for the 2010 Equinox trumpeting its 32 MPG highway fuel efficiency. Skeptically, she clicked on the ad. A month later, we've got one on order.

From the redesigned exterior (which I find aggressive and bull-doggish, but my main car is a Scion xB, so take that with a grain of salt), to the stylish and SUPER-quiet interior, we were impressed. Cavernous backseat, comfy front seats, and loads of bells-and-whistles really made an impression on us. The drive and handling were among the best we'd experienced of the compact SUV/CUVs we'd driven. Yes, it's a four-cylinder and you won't be outrunning the cops in it anytime soon, but the trade off of 26 MPG combined city/highway is well worth the pedestrian acceleration to us. We prefer hypermiling to quarter-miling, anyway.

The only things that concern us are reliability vs.Honda and Toyota (past models of the Equinox have taken a hit in this department) , and the long-term effects of a 4 cylinder engine powering a 3800+ lb. vehicle for 5+ years. But with me not being an automotive engineer and GM slapping a 100K mile warranty on the powertrain, I'll take my chances on the latter issue.

With the reliability concern, I've heard some very good things from people who own GM vehicles. Likewise, I've heard some very bad things as well. But with GM stating their intentions to be more customer-focused, with the success of the Malibu and Camaro, and with GM's "sink or swim really, really well" position in the market, I am willing to invest in GM's future by purchasing the Equinox.

Today, my wife and I are excited about our purchase. We are hopeful that we will feel the same in 5, 10 years.

For the record, we've ordered a Equinox 2WD 1LT w/Sunroof, Vehicle Interface Package and Power Driver's Seat. Price: $23,788 w/Conquest cash (if still applicable on delivery) plus tax, title and fees.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    jturnage40 and d_sanders:

Could you please both look at my posts/questions in the "2010 Equinox Problems" thread and let me know your experiences related to what I bring up there? Thank you.
  • clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    I know you have heard some good things about the Equinox but there are also some bad things,I have driven it, I went with which 2 ASE certified mechanics whom I have knowned for over 60 years with over 70 years worth of experience. The Gm dealer where we tested it thought they were relatives. On a scale of 1-10,10 being the highest they rated it a (3)The styling of the vehicle is excellent but the controls are mostly in the wrong place and you can't get to the bulbs in front to change your bulbs if they burn out;thus you must remove a radiator shroud or pay a dealer what he will charge you for Labor plus the cost of the bulbs. Their biggest concern was the engine location and the transmission design,the location of other drive train parts underneath the hood. I hope this helps. If you have a mechanic of your own seek out his advice,but also quiz GM dealer about the warranty conditions on this vehicle. Have a Nice Day!!!Please ask questions. many they want be able to answer!!!
  • So, what exactly is your point? You drove one...why? Are you looking to buy one? I always wonder why some of you guys write into these forums and put your two cents in on a vehicle that you obviously would like to see fail. You are obviously stretching here to find something wrong with the new Equinox, and saying some very vague things about it.

"Their biggest concern was the engine location and the transmission design,the location of other drive train parts underneath the hood."

What does that mean...that Chevy doesn't know how to put an engine in a vehicle all of a sudden? You can't get to the bulbs to change them if they burn out...when was the last time you had a vehicle in which the bulbs burnt out?

"If you have a mechanic of your own seek out his advice,but also quiz GM dealer about the warranty conditions on this vehicle."

The warranty on this vehicle is 5 years or 100,000 miles! Its the best warranty you can get on a new vehicle. I think you should quit worrying about GM succeeding and find another hobby.
  • Very well put. Hey it's America, buy what you want and like. I do. It's called free enterprise. I have owned Chevys all my life, I'm 57 and don't plan to change. If you buy according to where components are placed, you won't be buying anything. Not any car is built today with a do it yourself manual attached.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    d_sanders, could you please look at the "2010 Equinox Problems" thread and let me know if you noticed the "self-braking" sensation when it downshifted from 4-3 and 3-2, or any jitteriness, during your driving of the vehicle? Your input would be appreciated, as I just talked to the dealer and they are saying nothing is wrong (predictably). Thank you.
    Wow thats a really interesting grade (3 out of 10)?

Now the thing that sticks out most to me is that you have known these mechanics for over 60 years and say that they are ASE certified. If thats the case these mechanics should very well know that the vast majority of vehicles made today require an owner to take the vehicle to a mechanic to have the bulbs replaced.

That very fact is true for my 10 year old 99 Infinity G20 (which I will soon replace with a 2010 Equinox). Ask your mechanics why headlamps are designed this way? Their answer will reveal whether or not they can be certified to work on modern vehicles.
    To give a vehicle a grade of 3 out of 10 on just two things is suspect. It screams of either bias or lack of knowledge.

Considering the size of the Equinox as compared to its competitors and the fact that it gets better fuel mileage than its competitors should have rang a bell with you ASE certified friends. Is it possible that the way the engine and transmission are configured helps to contribute to the fuel efficiency of the vehicle?

If I were you, I'd ask a professional these questions and see what they think. A very good place to start is Pat Goss of Goss' Garage. This man knows his stuff and will give it to you straight.
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    I have a Mazda 3 and in the manual it says if a headlight bulb needs to be changed take it to your dealer, It also shows you how to change it. I have changed 2 so far with no problem. Maybe GM is doing the same, giving an option of taking it to a dealer and also showing how to do it if you want to do it yourself..so will need to do some checking..so maybe the engineers aren't idiots its the marketing people....
  • I recently purchased a 2010 Equinox and did not even consider the light bulbs. Why? because how often do they burn out on new vehicles? Not much, that's why. My vehicle that I recently replaced was a 2000 Chevy Blazer that had 201,000+ miles on it, and I never had to replace a single bulb for the 10 years that I drove it. I hope your decision on the Equinox is not solely based upon bulbs.
    I purchased my new Equinox on Sept 18, now have 1750 miles on it. Love it!.
  • >> 2 ASE certified mechanics whom I have knowned for over 60 years with over 70 years worth of experience. <<

Well that explains it. You're a bunch of senile old farts. I would advise narrow minded old gits like you NOT to buy an Equinox.

However, I'm going to enjoy my Equinox, the room, the quiet ride, the modern electonic console and the 22/32MPG. The styling is cutting edge as well. Plus, it's an American designed automobile manufactured by an American company that employs American workers (inclding some Canadians and Japanese etc.)
  • runoxrunox Posts: 152
    The 2010 line-up is stellar.
  • geohovgeohov Posts: 23
    Very true.
2»
This discussion has been closed.