Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300 Brake Problems

cmontycmonty Member Posts: 2
Can anyone help me identify what may be broken on my rx300? Here is what is happening. When I am turning the wheel and breaking to a stop (e.g. like pulling into a parking space) the breaks let out a sputtering sound the few seconds before I come to a stop. I can feel it in the pedal and it ONLY happens when the wheel is turned to a heavy degree (either way), and only when I am pressing down on the breaks to create a full stop. The sound is like a sputtering of air - almost like some pressure from a valve or something is being released. It makes the stopping feel less than certain although the car does stop. Thoughts?

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I notice some manufacturers now have "dynamic" rear brake lights. The theory is that the heavier you brake the more brake light segments are illuminated making the follow-on driver more aware of circumstances.

Why not go one step (three..steps..??) further and have a special rear brake light segment and color (high mount..??) that flashes rapidly to indicate to you that the car just in advance of you is having braking(ABS), stability(VSC), or traction control(TC) problems...??

And unlike the idiotic VSC and/or TC dash indication leave the light flashing for a few seconds AFTER the event.
  • ingle5ingle5 Member Posts: 2
    What would make the dash brake light to flash and beep? I have a 2000 RX300
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would guess that it means your ABS is not functioning properly. Anyone know for sure?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Failing CV, Constant Velocity, joint, a type of U-joint.
  • cmontycmonty Member Posts: 2
    WWEST - is this expensive to replace / repair?
    My guess, just a guess, $1000-1200.
  • ingle5ingle5 Member Posts: 2
    My RX 300 wiper motor fuse keeps blowing. Motor seems to run good. any ideas
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair may be helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lexusowner2010lexusowner2010 Member Posts: 1
    yesterday my 2010 lexus rx 350 had an ABS, check engine, power steering error message come up along with a red steering wheel with a red exclaimation point next to it. My car would start, and then die within seconds and all of the above errors would pop up. I got a loaner car, and it did the exact same thing today! Same error messages and everything.

Does anyone know what this could be caused from and/or has this happened to you? Very weird that it happened to two 2010 RX 350s. This is my first Lexus and I sure hope it gets fixed correctly!
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    Folks,

All I want to do is replace the rusted soon to break Rear parking Cable that is on the drivers side of the vehicle - when I look for the said part, following is what I get...I have a 1999 AWD RX300. What is the difference between things like 4/98 and just the 99-03 (2 versions) of the part????????????????????

Thanks in advance,
    JBL

Rear cable, rx300, 4wd, to 4/98, right 1999 $101.62 $81.30
    Rear cable, rx300, 4wd, to 4/98, left 1999 $92.64 $74.11
    Rear cable, rx300, 4wd, from 4/98, right 99-03 $92.23 $73.78
    Rear cable, rx300, 4wd, from 4/98, left 99-03 $84.48 $67.58
    2005 Lexus RX330
    2006 Toyota Prius
  • tsigetsige Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, my question is when i apply my breaks on hi speed ,over 55 mph i feel a hi vibration ,my mechanic said its the brake rotor & pads ,he changed those parts but the problem still there ,so what do you think is the problem ,any ideas i will be great ful.

thanks

nigus.
  • drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    the abs light came on...is there a way to get diagnostic info about the defective component without specialized tools (that dealers have)? e.g., in acura one can get info by shorting two pins in a service connector; the abs light flashes and provides a 2-digit code
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    edited August 2010
    I don't know of a way to read the OBDII without a code reader; hopefully someone monitoring this forum does know. I know a friendly mechanic who checked for me when I had both error lights coming on. He's helped with my Fords so many times (eyes rolling), I have only had to ask him on the RX once.

A bad wheel sensor or other brake problem could disable the ABS system and cause warning light. However, consider the possiblity it may not have anything to do with the brakes and often is not brake related. When a sensor error is reported anywhere in the engine management system, Toyota/Lexus vehicles "bypass" the whole ABSystem also and that light comes on in addition to "check engine" at least until the car is restarted, I guess to demand attention.

Could your ABS light be associated with a CEL fault; something as simple as a fuel cap leak (or not tightened down, I think is the most common fault), MAF mass air flow sensor (easily cleaned), or IACV idle air control valve (clean off carbon residue)?

If you do want to clear the recorded codes, with the engine off you could disconnect the engine/fuel or EFI (?) (I don't remember which it was labelled) relay under the hood for 5 minutes or so. I'm not trying to sidetrack you, but just sayin'...

And share with us what you find out.
  • drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    this is not an OBDII readable error....i do have a nice obdii reader.

this code can be read one of two ways: either by a special ABS tool or by removing/connecting jumper on service connectors. with proper jumper in place, when you turn on the ignition, the ABS light blinks to depict a 2-digit code.

i found the code-description but have not been able to find the exact location of connectors and pins to jump.
  • unhappyrx350unhappyrx350 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Rx350 and I have been dealing with this exact problem for the past year. I have had my car at the dealer on 4 separate occasions to try and fix this issue and it continues to reoccur. The big issue is that the ABS stops functioning completely when this happens. Huge safety concern especially in winter on snowy roads.

Did they fix the problem? If so, how was it fixed? Please let me know.