Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• header2header2 Posts: 10
    I own a 2002 GTi, I have noticed creaking around the doors lately and was going to ask the dealer about it. It might just be the door latch needs adjustment.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I read about this on the Jetta sedan forum. Get something called Gummi-Phledge from a BMW dealer (it's less than $10 I heard) and put it on the weatherstripping. I heard it works, but never tried it myself on my 2002 Jetta yet. I have creaking doors too, when I hit large bumps.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    and spray it on a paper towel and rub it onto the weather stripping. It will help the creaks. Honestly, after time the weather stripping will wear down and you won't have the creaks anymore. DO NO LET THE DEALER ADJUST YOUR STRIKER PLATE - THE DOOR WILL NEVER LATCH THE SAME AGAIN!!!

I learned the hard way... :)
  • iamacatiamacat Posts: 13
    I'm surprised that edmunds.com doesn't have an Owners' Club for the VW Golf. Does anyone know why? Wouldn't you like one?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    All it takes is asking. If there are a few participants here that would like us to start one up..., please let me know. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Maybe because the car is so much like the Jetta, it would be a step in the same direction. Also, the Jetta Owner's Club is not that popular either.
  • cobi1cobi1 Posts: 1
    I would like to see an Owner's Club for VW GOLF. I am trying to wait "patiently" for delivery of my 2002 VW GOLF GLS TDI. It arrived in the port of Boston at the very end of December and has not arrived at the dealership in CT yet. Yesterday the dealer received the stock #. I am hoping to have it delivered to me by the end of January.

There might be a further delay because I added a rear spoiler, splash guards and sun roof deflector. My dealership has these items added at the port and they will have a full new car warranty on them.
    and congratulations on your purchase! I look forward to hearing all about it.... ;-)

To Everyone- I've forwarded your recent messages here expressing interest in a VW Golf Owners' Club... to the Karen (Owner's Club Host). At the very least, we can see about linking this discussion to that area. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I just bought a used 86 VW Golf (woo hoo!!), and during the pre-buy inspection, the garage said I needed control arm bushings. When I asked if it could wait for a while, or if it was a safety item that had to be done a.s.a.p., I didn't feel like I got a straight answer. What's your opinion -- if there's wear, is it critical to replace right away? Thanks,

RLSCCONRAD@YAHOO.COM
    You may also get some helpful feedback to your question in this Auto 101 discussion. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks that frequent that discussion... and respond to vehicle questions/problems of all types. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Yes, I failed already also. Many of the pivot points of the suspesion will have bushings. The OE rubber deteriorates over time. After full deterioration, the resulting handling is less stability (can make driving dangerous).

My best suggestion is replace all of the suspension bushings at the same time.
  • Hey guys, maybe I can get the answer here. Edmunds says the Golf is made in Mexico--I assume along side its Jetta twin. The Jetta board says the Golf is made in Brazil and has higher quality because of that. I kind of agree with them becuse for 1999 and 2000, Consumer Reports found the Golf to have fewer problems than the Jetta. They recommended the Golf but not the Jetta those years. The Jetta is up in quality now and is recommended this year, BTW. What is the VIN designation for Brazil and Mexico? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help.
    Edmund's is full of it. Golf is made in Brazil. Production was just moved there not long ago from Germany.
    TDI GLS with Lux & Cold Weather Package. Can't wait for the car to arrive.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Posts: 101
    TDIs are great engines, and really hard to find in a Golf. Enjoy your car.

-Bluewolf (knows the joy of a new VW in the garage!)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Golf and GTI since the second half of 2001 are produced for the US and Canada markets only in Brazil. Golf and GTI are not manufactured in Mexico and the Golf/GTI manufactured in Germany are NOT exported to the US or Canada.
  • I have researched cars so much, I am now blue in the face! Finally I decide on a VW Golf GLS. I just have a couple questions I hope someone can answer.

1. What's the difference between the regular and the TDI? Can the TDI ONLY use diesel fuel or is there a choice between it?

2. Can you all tell me what's the ONE thing that made you choose your Golf and what's the ONE thing that kept you kind of between two cars (i.e. I'm trapped between a Golf and a Jetta).

3. This will be my first car (besides a used Olds) and I plan on leasing...Is anyone else leasing their Golf? Any pointers (I've read all the stuff on this site over and over and over).

I guess you can tell I'm pretty anxious. Any and all information you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    The TDI is a diesel. Get a Golf if you want a hatchback with the ability to fit large bulky objects in the car. Get a Jetta if you want a more conventional sedan with a real trunk. Jettas can be bought with a greater choice of engines and with more options when compared to 4 door Golfs. Jettas sell better here, Golfs sell better in Europe. Golfs are also a bit shorter in length. Golf suspensions might be a bit firmer than the Jettas, which have allegedly been tuned for the American driver. I can't swear to that one though....just what I have heard.
    1. TDI is diesel only. 50 mpg highway and it's refinement (thougb slightly louder than the 2.0L motor).

2. Hatchback utility

3. I'm buying (financing). Leasing makes some sense if you don't drive your car much, or intend to get a new car in a few years.
  • Why do you want to lease? If it's for the lower payment, buy a lower priced car. Most people lease so they can drive a car they could not otherwise afford. It is true, however, that there are some people who only drive 10,000 miles a year and have to get a new car every three years. If that is you, then leasing is a great idea, good job! If that is not you, then you are wasting money. Finance your new Golf for a little more a month--you will have equity you can use towards trading in about 3 years, or will have an asset in 5 years. Leasing leaves you with zero. If it's a price thing, check out the Elantra GT. Also a hatch, it has developed a very devoted following in just its first year. Check their thread out. Good luck to you either way you go!
  • Thank you all...I've thought and thought and thought and I think I'd be better off buying an Elantra GLS or GT. I've been researching them and they have a solid performance, from what I can tell, for the price. Since it's my first vehicle, I'll go easy and have easier payments! Thanks everyone for your opinions and help! Thank you!
  • Get what makes you happy--it's too much money to do otherwise.
    See #456 in the GTI thread.
    No more Matchstick Red (GTI); new color: Platinum Grey (GTI)
    Standard cold-weather package for all GTIs and Golfs except Golf GL
    Standard side-curtain airbag protection (all GTIs)
    No more red cloth and grey leather (GTI)
    No more VR6 technology package (rain-sensor wipers, auto climate control, auto-dimming rearview mirror) (GTI)
    Four-door Golf GL available in Black, Tornado Red, Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver, Mojave Beige and Blue Anthracite
    No more grey interiors (includes cloth, leatherette) (Golf)
  • jskhojskho Posts: 107
    Is that true? Will it be a no cost option?
  • I am considering the Jetta/Golf TDI and have not found one test drive report on them. I am specifically looking for a test drive on the TDI's, I have found numerous reports on the gas engine models. Can someone point me in the right direction. DO any of you out there own a TDI, can you share your experiences?

Thanks
    More than you ever wanted to know about a TDI at www.tdiclub.com. I own a TDI, what do you want to know?
    What's you're handle on TDIclub.com?

tan
    I Eat Rice
  • bluewolfbluewolf Posts: 101
    I have a TDI Jetta, love it! What do you want to know?