Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    There are little oval tags, but the curtain airbags are one long bag on each side. So there are still 6 airbags in the Golf, which is two more than in most of it's competitors, and 4 more that are standard than in many of it's competitors.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    I stand corrected. Guess there are 4 oval head curtain air bags but only one continuous air bag per side. Also, the standard 4-wheel discs and ABS set VW apart too, especially from the "must take the hole in the roof" to get the safety (isn't that contradictory?)stuff crowd.
  • acalinacalin Posts: 1
    I have leased a VW Golf GTI 2001 ten months ago and ever since I
    have leased this car it has been in the shop for electrical repairs. At
    first the wiring for the speakers went wrong then a month later the
    check engine light came and the dealer said that the emission fuses went
    out. Anyway, that happened twice.
    The fourth time I had problems with it was the the driver's window which
    it didn't want to come up anymore and to mention that I have gotten all
    wet from the rain. A month later the same thing happened with the
    passenger's window. All these problems happened within 10 months from
    the purchase.
    I would like to mention that their customer service was also horrible.
    Also, it feels like I owe a Chevy Cavalier rather than Volkwagen turbocharged engine.

Very disappointed with VW quality.

Sincerely,
    Calin Popa
  • howachowac Posts: 52
    Acalin,
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a lemon too! But the good news is that you're not alone and you do have some very useful tools to help you with dealing with the car and the manufacturer. Contact the Better Business Bureau's Autoline and get familiar with the lemon laws in your state. Please see my previous postings on this topic if you need more info. Good luck and keep us updated!
    I swore off the VWs after I got clobbered with electrical problem bills on my Dasher, Rabbit and Scirocco back in the 70s and 80s. Now just when I am ready to put my foot in the water again here come the electrical problems. Why can't they get it right after all these years?
    Do you really think the problem cars that are discussed here are the norm for VW Golf? I do not. Did you know that VW Golf for 2001 is recommended by Consumer Reports? It is.
    Quite a few problems that people have seem to be symptoms of poor dealer service. This can be cured by finding a different dealer or knowledgable independent mechanic.
    Sure there are lemons out there, this is true for almost any make.
    For 2002 there is going to be a 4 door GL model and now the warranty is 4 years bumper to bumper instead of two. Unfortunately the 1.8T Golf is no longer available.
    CR now no longer recommends the Jetta, based on surveys of current owners who have reported major issues with reliability. Since the Golf and the Jetta are basically the same under the skin, it is possible that if there were enough Golf responses (fewer Golfs compared to Jettas), Golf would no longer be recommended either. My point was that these types of electrical problems were a hallmark of VWs many years ago and it is disturbing to read about them now, even if the sample size is small. My own independent, unscientific poll of several tow truck operators cites VWs as being high on their list of towed cars for electrical issues. As to the warranty, it is interesting that when it comes to Hyundai's longer warranty, the automatic response is so what...who wants to be at the dealer all day, but when VW lengthens the warranty to obviously address customer concerns, that is a good thing.
  • weatherdanweatherdan Posts: 28
    Yes, electrical problems. Do you know that Consumer Reports shows "many" electrical problems (full black circles) for 95 and 96 Golfs, a half-black circle for 99s and an empty circle ("average") for 00s? BTW, they show the same pattern for hardware. See p. 88 of the April 2000 issue. They even say on page 76 that "In our judgment, cars that are new should have very few problems. Even a (half red circle) may be cause for concern."

Only a few of the recent issues discussed here seem to relate to dealer problems at all. Most concern problems with the cars themselves that require excessive trips to the dealer for repairs. It is one thing to have a dealer have to repair the same thing several times before they get it right and another altogether to have to take a (new) car to the dealer over and over again for different items. The former is a bad dealer, the later a bad car. Big difference.

As for CU's recommendation, it gives recommendations when a car performs well in its tests and when their reader survey data indicate that reliability should be at least average. The Golf gets a "black" check, indicating average overall reliability. It is clear from the reliability charts that Golfs have a history of electrical and hardware problems. Actually all the VWs listed have the same problems to some extent.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Posts: 216
    the '95 and '96 Golfs have so little in common with the current version that they should not even be considered in the discussion. Start with the '99 and look forward.
  • cochoncochon Posts: 1
    Moparbad there are 8 air bags in 2001 golfs. If you don't believe me drive down to your local dealer and look.
    I have a 2001 with the side curtain airbags. I am not guessing. The side curtain airbags are one air bag on each side. Each side has one continuous air bag that protects both front and rear occupants. There are tags on the A and B pillar, but they do not represent separate airbags.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    there are in the Golf, I think there may be a few more your not counting that occupy the seats!

Just kidding of course guys.
    The Golf is assembled in Brazil and the Jetta in Mexico. Yes, they are basically the same except that the Jetta has a trunk and offers a V6.
    The possibility that there is difference in quality of assembly between the two factories can not be eliminated.
    Reading the experiences on Edmunds would make me think so. Remember that people that do not have problems are not motivated to post the problem free experiences they are having.
    Statistically the Golf is average in reliability. I make this statement after reviewing the reports that are compiled by JD Power, Automotive Information Systems, and others.
    An example of reliability report is the one by AIS on the 1996 and 1997 Golf which achieves a 5 out of 5 (best-minimal problems).
    Relying on my opinion or the opinion of just one of the other people who post in this forum is not a good indicator of reliabilty. In my past experience the only make of cars that were lemons and were owned by people I personnally know were Chryslers. You might have a Chrysler that is perfect.
    Out of the roughly 25 people that I am acquainted with that own VW's (primarily diesels) none of them have had reliability problems as reported in this forum.
    A broken window regulator, replacing a MAF, relay 109, replacing a tailight bulb more frequent than normal, these type of problems do exist, but not all on the same vehicle.
    I did a lot of research on VW, the Golf, and TDI prior to my purchase of one. Based on the research I expected average to above average reliability and I have not been disappointed. Based on my research I expected below average dealer quality. The dealer network needs improvement.
  • weatherdanweatherdan Posts: 28
    One of the primary benefits/purposes of any car forum is to discuss that car's reliability problems as opposed to cheerleading for it. Naturally it follows that there will then be more people discussing those problems for others considering a purchase. As was the case on this forum in 1999 when I was searching for information about the New Golf model. Then I was happy to read about all the changes and great new features in the New Golf to address various problems with the late 1990s models. Unfortunately, despite the new Golf model, the changes did not seem to address the electrical and hardware problems. My Golf model was the last assembled in Germany. I don't know if the assembly now in Brazil makes any difference but the indications from the frequency of repair records in Consumer Reports don't show much improvement. One thing I wish Consumer Reports would do is list the number of responses they get for each car model year and what defines "Insufficient data".

If it comes down to Consumer Reports vs. JD Power in determining a car's likely reliability, as far as I am concerned I'd go with the former for objectivity. Your mileage may vary. JD Power is well known for initial customer satisfaction survey results. In fact, car companies use JD Power results in their advertisements all the time. Unfortunately, initial satisfaction surveys tell little to nothing about a car's likely reliability after a year or so. Who would not be initially satisfied when they buy a new car? The "honeymoon" stage with a new car can last quite a while. As it should when you purchase a vehicle for $15K-$20K. Except perhaps for a new Chrysler! But that's for a different forum. ;-)
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    But mine was made in Germany... maybe that has something to do with it.

The GTI gets a VR6 just like the Jetta...
  • if there is a build quality difference between similar VW cars built in Germany vs Mexico vs Brazil. Do Wolfsburg Editions have fewer problems than other VW's?

Anybody know?
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    does anyone have cost figures and/or performance figures for neuspeed supercharger conversion on 2.0L or upsilon chip on tdi? i was thinking 1.8t 4dr golf, but to my great dismay, have learned they are discontinuing this option.:(:(:( also, did i hear correctly that VW is launching the golf V in 2003??? if so, any info? hopefully, if true, the rear seat gets a little more legroom. thanks in advance for any help.
  • kwolekkwolek Posts: 1
    I own the VWGolf GLS IV (automatic) for 2 years. Mileage 28,000. I had some minor problems like broken cup holder in the back and stuck rear safety belt. Also the oxygen sensor failed. Everything was fixed under warranty. I don't really know anybody who complains about major things. My Golf was made in Germany (Wolfsburg). The build quality is outstanding, materials first rated. Car is beautiful and looks like new after 2 years of heavy usage. In contrast many Japanese cars like Civic looks good when new. After few years paint fades and usually after 10 years you have to replace the car. I am automotive engineer, so I can guarantee, that the Golf will last at least 15 years (maybe with minor problems)and will still look good. The body rust protection is the best in the industry (zinc galvanizing process). Japanese cars usually are very reliable when new, but after 8-10 years everything (but power train) is falling apart. I know it from my, and other people experience. In contrast German cars are build to last. So it is your choice, buy the reliable car for 8 years, or little less reliable for 20. I prefer the second option. Regarding so call "quality". In Europe "quality" means not only reliability like in the US. It is also build quality, fit and finish, materials, driving performance, looks, comfort and many other aspect, which VW delivers the best way. I have a great pleasure to drive my Golf every day. The breaks are outstanding (all disk), comfort is great and the sound system top notch (8 speakers in the doors, not chip substitutes in the back shelf). I am looking forward to buy the new VW Minibus as soon as it apears on the market.
    Congratulation VW for fantastic cars.
  • I'm planning on purchasing a Golf GLS, auto w/ luxury package in the next month or so. My first question is should I wait for the 2002 models to come out? And, more importantly, what is a fair price for me to pay? I'm in NW New Jersey. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!