Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• I have a 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T that has what I consider to be serious problems. the drivers door leaks AND the body creaks loudly. When I accelerate from a stop I can hear what sounds to be the body bending. then as I apply the breaks, the same sound. The noise seems to come from around the drivers door. I am wondering if anyone has had thsi problem. THis car has nevver been hit or wrecked in any way. The body should be straight. Thoughts?
  • btp3btp3 Posts: 4
    pocmon -i have a 2 litre golf gl. it has plenty of torque around town, but it can feel a little heavy on the freeway. i get around 30 mpg composite. the automatic tranny is a piece of junk, get the 5 speed. it is not as nice a car to drive as the focus, but only a complete tard would buy a ford. people say their mileage in the focus is much lower than ford claims. they aren't very reliable, either.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I've heard from the Vortex that it's a step down from 2001 in terms of sound quality. Heck I heard Monsoon doesn't make the 2002 Head unit. What are your thoughts?
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    Even in 2001. The 2002 is the double din head unit though - I haven't had the chance to compare the two though.

- Anthony
  • Pocmonster:
    I have a '95 VW GL 2.0 L w/ 5spd manual. I live in Colorado. When I go home it's 400 miles to the southwest corner of the state, over about 6 mountain passes. I went home last summer and easily climbed these passes at 60mph in 4th gear all the while with the AC on. I averaged 39 miles per gallon. Can you believe it? My car has about 53,000 miles on it. I'm a firm believer in high tech oils and filters. I typically run Castrol Syntec Blend but now have a fully synthetic in the engine.

I looked at a Ford Focus. I didn't like the visibility out the windshield or the ergonomical features inside. Looks like they are just appealing to stylist enthusiasts on the exterior.

One thing about the VW Golf is the crazy exhaust. Whoever figured out that one was an absolute buffoon. With two 90 deg turns + 2 catalytic converters to get out the back, it's a setup for rust and expensive replacements like $475.00 cost, and that doesn't include the front most converter.

Anybody found an exhaust that doesn't rust, doesn't sound like a lawnmower going down the street and adds a little performance for under $900.00? I don't want a Neuspeed unless it's quiet.
  • btp3btp3 Posts: 4
    pocmon & stear-n-weil:

the '95 golf was several hundred lbs. lighter than the current. it was much faster and the mileage was a little better. the 02 will be safer of course. it's a good buy, just get the lightest model you can and the manual transmission.
  • We've had current platform since 99 I believe. Does anyone know when the next change is arriving ?? 2003 ????
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    2003. Should finally have independent rear suspension if I remember the reports correctly.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Next platform is scheduled to be introduced in 2003 so it should be in production and available in North America in 2004 or 2005.

Here is one article http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4528&sid=178&n=156

The US typically receives new models 1 to 2 years after they are available in Europe when it comes to VW.

• vlasovvlasov Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Golf GLS that has the same serious problems. driver door leaks and creaks loudly when moving. Also as cadrien when i accelerate from a stop I can hear what sounds to be the body bending. As I apply the breaks, the same sound. The noise seems to come from around the drivers door. I was asking my dealer if they would test drive it and locate
    the source of that noise. They confirmed with leaking but never with noise. I was asking to
    repeat the test, but got no attention. Anyone got any idea?
  • header2header2 Posts: 10
    I own a 2002 GTi, I have noticed creaking around the doors lately and was going to ask the dealer about it. It might just be the door latch needs adjustment.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I read about this on the Jetta sedan forum. Get something called Gummi-Phledge from a BMW dealer (it's less than $10 I heard) and put it on the weatherstripping. I heard it works, but never tried it myself on my 2002 Jetta yet. I have creaking doors too, when I hit large bumps.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    and spray it on a paper towel and rub it onto the weather stripping. It will help the creaks. Honestly, after time the weather stripping will wear down and you won't have the creaks anymore. DO NO LET THE DEALER ADJUST YOUR STRIKER PLATE - THE DOOR WILL NEVER LATCH THE SAME AGAIN!!!

I learned the hard way... :)
  • iamacatiamacat Posts: 13
    I'm surprised that edmunds.com doesn't have an Owners' Club for the VW Golf. Does anyone know why? Wouldn't you like one?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    All it takes is asking. If there are a few participants here that would like us to start one up..., please let me know. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Maybe because the car is so much like the Jetta, it would be a step in the same direction. Also, the Jetta Owner's Club is not that popular either.
  • cobi1cobi1 Posts: 1
    I would like to see an Owner's Club for VW GOLF. I am trying to wait "patiently" for delivery of my 2002 VW GOLF GLS TDI. It arrived in the port of Boston at the very end of December and has not arrived at the dealership in CT yet. Yesterday the dealer received the stock #. I am hoping to have it delivered to me by the end of January.

There might be a further delay because I added a rear spoiler, splash guards and sun roof deflector. My dealership has these items added at the port and they will have a full new car warranty on them.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and congratulations on your purchase! I look forward to hearing all about it.... ;-)

To Everyone- I've forwarded your recent messages here expressing interest in a VW Golf Owners' Club... to the Karen (Owner's Club Host). At the very least, we can see about linking this discussion to that area. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I just bought a used 86 VW Golf (woo hoo!!), and during the pre-buy inspection, the garage said I needed control arm bushings. When I asked if it could wait for a while, or if it was a safety item that had to be done a.s.a.p., I didn't feel like I got a straight answer. What's your opinion -- if there's wear, is it critical to replace right away? Thanks,

RLSCCONRAD@YAHOO.COM