Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    The 2002 Golf 2 door (made in Germany that year) was the least offensive "new car smell" I ever ran into. Maybe because they are so "green" in Europe in terms of adhesives etc.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I love the new car smells....
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Me too! I loved the way my leather-equipped Jetta smelled when I first got it. Like a new pair of leather gloves, almost. It smells about the same when I use the leather cleaner in it.
  • sav2sav2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Golf GLS with 40,000 miles. Recently a spring popped out under the passenger seat, and the seat adjustment mechanism seemed off. I took it to the dealer and had it replaced; it was covered under my 1source extended warranty, although the claim came in at $400-500. I see that there is a visible difference in the new adjustment mechanism: the handle is different, and it looks different from the underside. Also, the seat moves roughly, while the driver side literally glides upon adjustment. It appears to be from a "lower class" VW, if that makes sense. I'm going back to the dealer, but I'm afraid they might argue that the part is no longer available or make up some other excuse. I'm extremely irritated, but I'm not sure what I can do.

Any suggestions?
    A friend of mine had a pretty bad accident in her 00 Golf last week. She had a little too much to drink (I know, she was stupid for that right there, and she did arrested too), and was going 55mph on the highway. She was a little off, shall we say, and hit a broken-down car on the side of the road, at 55mph. While I am not condoning her bevavior (by a LONG shot), she walked away from the accident. Her front wheels were bent into a "D" shape, that's how hard she hit. No one was in the broken down car, thank God.

While this was an extremely stupid way to learn how well the Golf protects its occupants in a crash, it still did nonetheless.
  • Seat issue - I'd take a look at a new Golf in the showroom and see how the seat adjusts and what the adjustment knob looks like. If it's the same version they replace on your car and it adjusts smoothly, tell them about it. I have an 02 Golf that has smooth adjusting seats. Maybe they need to adjust something or lube the tracks a little better.

Crash - One of my #1 priorities in the Golf purchase was the crash rating - good to know it holds up in real world circumstances.
  • any one have problem with throttle body housing going bad. My golf is 34000mi, once a while, the idle is rough and seems stalling, (never actually stalled). I did some search on web and didn't really get much about it except some site mentioned Jetta has some problem with throttle body housing. Is anyone here had this kind of problem and what is the reason for it.
  • fezst1fezst1 Posts: 4
    thanks rickrover.

I went to the dealer yesterday (right after I posted the message) and the diagnostic was bad throttle body housing. Replacement is about $500 or so. Can the throttle body housing actually go bad (and what could cause the problem). I asked service manager, he basically doesn't know how it would happen (or he is pulling my leg). Since he doesn't have the part in stock, he put the test part on the car so I can drive home for now. I'll make sure to ask him to clean MAF first with the old housing on it and see if that can fix the problem.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    Since you are only 34000 miles, I would give VWoA a call, explain the situation, and a lot of times they will help you out with the bill.

Cleaning the MAF really doesn't help much, cause most of the times when they go bad it's not because they are dirty. You can give it a try though and buy some CRC Electronics Cleaner from Advanced Auto Parts and take out the maf and spray it on the sensor.

- Anthony
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    That's true - plus the MAF is only about $50 and 15 minute install - it's attached to the air box. I don't know a whole lot about the throttle body - good advice to call VW, they may help you out. Check parts4vws.com - you may be able to get one at a lot better price than $500.
    Someone on VWVortex lost their Dub this week. This one was hit at 50mph by a stop sign runner, spun around 3 times, and hit a Dodge Durango. The car is totalled, the driver walked away shaken up but that was all.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=JettaDude&album_id=103437&image_id=21&courtesy=1
  • haemonhaemon Posts: 19
    I own an '01 Golf, GLS, 1.8T (4-Door). Does anyone's Golf produce a lot of squeaks and rattles from curious places? If so, how did you get rid of them? Will alloy wheels eliminate/reduce the problem
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I have a two door Gold and get a little rattling from the hatch cover. Any of the Golfs will be more prone to small noises due to the body construction style (empty box with no cross supports). The Jettas have all that cross body stuff in the package tray and back seat area to tie the body together. Do Jettas have noise problems too?

For what its worth, I just bought a 2003 Civic and it has a noisier rattle than anything I have experienced in 40,000 miles in the Golf.

BTW, be sure contents aren't rattling. It's amazing how many rattles I have found were personal contents in the glove box, trunk or hatch area.
  • cbnsoulcbnsoul Posts: 2
    I heard on another message board that the Golf V is coming in a year or two. Does anyone now anything more about it or if that's even true? I hate to get one now and then have a new body style come out 6 months later...Thanks.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    ...is the year for the Golf V.

There are no released pictures of it yet, however.
  • gmanzx3gmanzx3 Posts: 37
    I just purchased a 2003 Golf GL 2-door and I have a few questions.

1-The manual says 87 octane fuel is o.k. but the brochure I have says premium recommended. What does everyone here use?
    2-Can I get an aftermarket, or better yet, a VW armrest? It would really increase the interior comfort.
    3-Do all Golf's come with the first aid kit located in that rear compartment? Mine didn't have one and I just want to make sure it wasn't taken.
    4-Does anyone know anything about the solar battery charger? It isn't talked about in the owners manual or any brochure.

Thanks, in advance, for any help on these.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new 2003 VW Golf!

"Can I get an aftermarket, or better yet, a VW armrest?"

While you're waiting here for feedback, you may also want to check out our VW Owner's - Accessories & Modifications discussion.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your VW Golf experience. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    I just sent you an email and it bounced back. Please update your Town Hall email, so I can try again. Thanks!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • A friend of mine has been having an intermittent but serious problem with her 98 Golf GL: the transmission is stuck in Park. She is putting it into Drive in the normal way with parking brake off and her foot on the brake while trying to shift.

The problem seems to be more prevalent on colder mornings (temps below -5 F or -20 C), and even after running the car in idle for 30 minutes to heat it up she still is unable to shift out of Park into Drive.

This problem has left her stranded in the cold many times and its getting quite frustrating.

Has anyone heard of this problem on the Golfs and if so, what can be done to fix it?
  • rthshorthsho Posts: 3
    Sounds like your friend needs a new clutch, but it may be as simple as to much "play" on the clutch cable.
    Dunno if this is a weak point on the '98 Golf, what is the millage on the car?